Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2011228 - 01/08/13 02:44 PM Finger abnormalities
mrferguson12 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
For a long time I've been aware of a deformity in both of my 5th fingers which creates some unique problems (see below for pictures). One specific problem it creates is that it's difficult for me to press a white key in-between black keys with my 5th finger while my thumb is also on a black key (due to the curvature in my 5th fingers, they simply can't fit between the black keys sometimes without also pressing the nearest black key to the outside of my 5th finger).

A few pictures of my hand in different positions (I'm using an electronic keyboard, the distance between the keys is slightly less than that of a normal acoustic piano): http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/mrferguson12/Mobile%20Uploads/010813110616.jpg
http://s818.beta.photobucket.com/user/mrferguson12/media/Mobile%20Uploads/010813111038.jpg.html
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/mrferguson12/Mobile%20Uploads/010813110949.jpg
Often times when I practice, my other fingers seem be working just fine and comfortably, but then it feels like my 5th fingers just "don't fit". I've also noticed myself using ulnar deviation, instead of a more 5th finger-oriented "natural" position which is made uncomfortable by the deformity. Does anyone else have a similar challenge with finger abnormalities? Please share confused

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2011247 - 01/08/13 03:18 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm not convinced you've got a finger 'deformity'. I also play with my little (i.e. 5th) fingers bent (flexed) at the distal interphalangeal joints (DIPJ) like in your photos, and very rarely, I might catch my nail in the gaps between keys when the composers (who shall remain nameless, to protect the guilty wink ) are rather inconsiderate of normal human anatomy (I consider myself normal, obviously) and delight in getting pianists' fingers in twists. If their music weren't so interesting, I'd just give it up as bad job, but sometimes, a man's just gotta do what a man's gotta do, and get on with it, and find solutions by trying different fingerings, redistributing notes etc.

In any case, I consider my little fingers to be more 'normal' than Horowitz's, whose 5th fingers remain curled up like snakes, only to uncurl and strike out when required, also like, er, rattlers..... grin

#2011456 - 01/08/13 09:39 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Since you say "for a long time" rather than "since birth," I too wonder whether this is really a deformity. However, if you are not able to move the 5th fingers as you want, it could very well be a dystonia induced by harmful movements such as excessive stretching or curling.

I had a different 5th finger problem, involuntary extension aggravated by years of playing the flute with flattened, outstretched 5th fingers (not good for you). I thought I had abnormal fingers that wouldn't move like other people's.

After retraining in ergonomic technique, my 5th fingers work just fine. It took some time to get to that point, but it was quite a revelation.

It sounds as if the 5th finger problem could be leading you into other technical problems also. I think it would be good to consult a teacher who is knowledgeable about dealing with playing-related injuries (Taubman is best IMO).
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2012619 - 01/11/13 05:44 AM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't see anything wrong with your finger? confused

#2012818 - 01/11/13 01:39 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
The French Tickler Offline

Loc: Banned
Man that's freaky.....you should join the Circus or cut that thing off or something

#2012839 - 01/11/13 02:05 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I don't see anything unusual, either.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2012858 - 01/11/13 02:24 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
From your photographs it would seem your hands which are on the small side. As a 5'10" man I can easilly play an octive with either 3rd: 4th: or 5th fingers, but I can not play a nineth.
I guess we all made differently.

#2013566 - 01/12/13 05:09 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: Goof]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Goof
From your photographs it would seem your hands which are on the small side. As a 5'10" man I can easilly play an octive with either 3rd: 4th: or 5th fingers, but I can not play a nineth.
I guess we all made differently.

Wow! That's quite strange, sounds like small hand but good stretch? I can reach most 10ths but I wouldn't call octave with 3rd finger "easy".

Edited by trigalg693 (01/12/13 05:10 PM)

#2013576 - 01/12/13 05:27 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
WhoDwaldi Offline

It appears that you are playing an electronic keyboard with "organ style" keys. Does your little finger get hung in, or between, the edge of the white keys? If so, "box style" keys might help.

#2013621 - 01/12/13 07:16 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Lord deliver me...I would rather have a broken leg or a heart attack than have anything wrong with my hand(s)... I can always work with a broken leg...

#2013627 - 01/12/13 07:32 PM Re: Finger abnormalities [Re: mrferguson12]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The finger seems fine, but is there any way you can post a video of you playing? That would really help to see if there is an issue - maybe something that demonstrates the kinds of issues you are having. Everyone's hands are slightly different and so certain fingerings work better than others to play a C# diminished chord for example.

Also, do you experience any pain or fatigue while playing?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
13 minutes 2 seconds ago
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
55 minutes 2 seconds ago
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
71 registered (anotherscott, Allard, angga888, ando, alfredo capurso, 15 invisible), 1043 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325937 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission