Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2011014 - 01/08/13 06:08 AM why won't students ask their teachers?
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
It seems to happen time and time again here, a student who has a piano teacher and takes regular lessons, posts a question online, wanting input from teachers here. I don't get it, why do they do it?

I would understand if they had asked their own teacher, the teacher replies sternly, "Though shalt not foray into such and such a style!" and they want a second opinion. But, no, they just don't want to ask.

Are they embarrassed? Shy? Do they want to prove they can do it alone (in which case, why ask here?) These are adults who have gone out of their way to organize lessons for themselves, so they must have some ability to communicate.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2011017 - 01/08/13 06:36 AM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Maybe because they already know their teacher's answer and would like a second opinion from those reading this forum who are accomplished, professional teachers?

Why would anyone seek a second opinion from a doctor, lawyer, or financial advisor?

Reasonable teachers can have different views and generally know more than students. Students sometimes want to know the different -- but reasonable -- approaches taken by teachers other than their own. That's part of how an adult endeavors to "organize lessons for (him)self", as you put it.

Edited by ClsscLib (01/08/13 06:38 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2011056 - 01/08/13 08:25 AM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
But I get what tlt is saying, many of these students don't even give their teachers a chance at a first opinion before seeking a 2nd. And I'm sure every teacher wonders if their students are doing the same - no tasking them something that they can certainly help them with if they knew it was something the student wanted.

I often will go out of my way with adult students especially and ask them if there's something specific they'd like to work on, perhaps in a different style just to be sure. A lot of times we teachers are left without any direction from the student as far as interests are concerned and so we just proceed with what we feel is necessary.

Getting feedback from a student is crucial and desired, however, at least from the good teachers I know.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2011066 - 01/08/13 08:38 AM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If I thought they had really asked, then I would be fine with them asking here. Maybe they have already picked up negative vibes and decided it isn't safe to ask. Again, this makes sense.

What I worry about is that they may simply assume (that a teacher who teaches classical isn't interested in jazz, or vice versa) and assume wrongly.

There are lots of things I'm interested in that I don't routinely bring up in lessons, but we could take a digression into.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2011068 - 01/08/13 08:42 AM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Not every adult has access to master teachers (such as are found on this forum!) <g>

Adults may be satisfied with some but not all of their teacher's abilities. Or the teacher might have convenient hours or prices, or just be likable. Rather than change teachers, they may just attempt to supplement what they fear is missing.

#2011070 - 01/08/13 08:45 AM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Well, I don't really ask for advice from the teachers here, but I do ask questions in ABF that I could ask my teacher.

I have different reasons and I can imagine others

1. The first reason for me would be that I've just finished my lesson and I've thought of a question, I am dying to get an answer asap (even though, really, it could wait).... and I don't want to call or email my teacher about it - it isn't worth disturbing him. So I post.

2. Just to see what other people think - a sort of "reality check" before bringing it up with the teacher.
There is a fear of being in "unknown territory" and not wanting to appear foolish or unknowledgeable in front of THE TEACHER! Even though I know that my teacher would behave respectfully and kindly, we all deal with different levels of how much we're willing to put ourselves "out there" and show our ignorance.

3. To find out if we are different or the same - is my question a common one? Do other people want to do xyz too, or is it just me?

That's just off the top of my head.
Sure, I think it is better to talk in person rather than speak to anonymous folks on the net - but sometimes the folks we have not met in person can help us get over something that we're not sure how to handle, help us to find a better way of expressing our ideas - or even of figuring out what exactly needs to be expressed. A testing ground, role-playing practice run so to speak.

#2011097 - 01/08/13 09:58 AM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I would be so very happy if my students would call me with any questions they have, especially if they have just had their lesson! That tells me a great deal about what I need to be doing as a teacher and what they need as students.

#2011133 - 01/08/13 11:26 AM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
MaggieGirl Offline

because I find it easier to as a room of strangers a "dumb" question than someone I see for 60 seconds a week. But when I figure out what I'm asking (by asking someplace like here)and get input I feel like I have a less dumb question and some ideas.

Also the first couple of months it felt...intimidating.

I guess that I am naturally a shy person doesn't help.

I am also the kind of person who doesn't like one answer - I like to see all the different thoughts and ideas.

#2011258 - 01/08/13 03:41 PM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
First, this seems to be a very friendly forum. Questions, dumb or not, got answers. Not just a standard answers, but answers from different angles and levels. The collective wisdom presented here is probably well beyond any single teacher out there. And that invites new questions.

Second, many teachers have back to back lessons, there is simply no room for a student/parents to ask questions between lessons. And the student/parent does not want to spend half of the lesson time to discuss questions that are not critical enough.

Third, the anonymous nature of an internet forum makes people far more open. People asked thing here that they will never ask a teacher in person, and teachers have said things here that they would never say directly to students/parents.

Of course discussions here does not replace the communication with teachers. However, it can be a great supplement to a healthy student/parent/teacher relationship.

And I really appreciate everyone here that cared to answer the questions.

Edited by The Monkeys (01/08/13 03:42 PM)

#2011270 - 01/08/13 03:56 PM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: The Monkeys]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: The Monkeys
Second, many teachers have back to back lessons, there is simply no room for a student/parents to ask questions between lessons. And the student/parent does not want to spend half of the lesson time to discuss questions that are not critical enough.

I am very grateful for the teachers who do share their expertise with students here on this forum, and have asked for advice several times, but this reason seems odd. Teachers have limited time all around (as do we all), so why do you feel that you don't want to infringe on the lesson time, where you are paying the teacher to pay attention to all the issues surrounding your or your child's learning, including the perhaps less-than-critical issues -- but feel that it's OK to ask teachers here to take out time from what they might primarily be using the forum for (perhaps, to learn to teach better or share their experience to help other teachers teach better), and answer your questions for free?

#2011277 - 01/08/13 04:11 PM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: PianoStudent88]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Originally Posted By: The Monkeys

I am very grateful for the teachers who do share their expertise with students here on this forum, and have asked for advice several times, but this reason seems odd. Teachers have limited time all around (as do we all), so why do you feel that you don't want to infringe on the lesson time, where you are paying the teacher to pay attention to all the issues surrounding your or your child's learning, including the perhaps less-than-critical issues -- but feel that it's OK to ask teachers here to take out time from what they might primarily be using the forum for (perhaps, to learn to teach better or share their experience to help other teachers teach better), and answer your questions for free?

This is an observation, not saying this is a right thing to do, but people do that anyways. There were similar discussions in this forum about this behaviour.

#2011279 - 01/08/13 04:13 PM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Having said that, I feel I need to try to be introspective about the reasons why I have sometimes posted questions here.

What I have asked the most are questions where aspects of how my then-teacher was teaching didn't match up with ideas I was gaining from reading this and other forums, and I wanted to check if I was on target with questioning my lessons, before raising the matter with my teacher. Primarily what I got in reply was the advice to speak to my teacher, but no clear response on "that sounds off to me" or "that's actually perfectly fine".

The end result after posting here and receiving that advice was that I raised the issues in various ways with my teacher -- obliquely in a way though, because I wasn't going to flat-out say "I don't like the way you're teaching me, please change." And also without feeling necessarily that I was justified in wanting some things to be different. Ultimately they all remained issues for me, and other issues arose, and her teaching didn't change, and it wasn't providing me things I was increasingly wanting from my lessons no matter how much I asked for them, and I became more confident in thinking that one could expect to get these other things in lessons from the proper teacher and that I wasn't being unreasonable, so although the proximate cause of my ending lessons was financial, if I do get enough money again for lessons I will find a different teacher.

#2011359 - 01/08/13 05:31 PM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I was thinking about playing the piano, and felt I should add, to be fair, that I learned some very useful things from my teacher also. Also it was by taking lessons with her that I was able to get unstuck from the level I was at before the lessons. (I was self-taught as a child; music lessons were never an option then.)

#2011404 - 01/08/13 07:25 PM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
MaggieGirl Offline

"but feel that it's OK to ask teachers here to take out time from what they might primarily be using the forum for (perhaps, to learn to teach better or share their experience to help other teachers teach better), and answer your questions for free?"

I think some people are kind, they might have a moment and if not, no response is not rudeness but shows a lack of time/interest/desire to respond. I have searched and there have been requests for a parent forum but none was created (probably blind parents leading blind parents creates a different set of issues).

#2011435 - 01/08/13 08:55 PM Re: why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Why ask here?

Because they can!

#2011500 - 01/09/13 12:11 AM Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
We have heard from many individuals, whose opinions I respect, on why THEY might ask questions on the Forums, INSTEAD of asking their own teachers essentially the same questions. Here might be a compelling reason to NOT ask such questions on the Forums: WRONG ANSWERS

There is the classically ludicrous level of WRONG ANSWERS, typically happening more often on the Non-Classical Pianist Forum than with the Teachers’ Forum. A “student” asks something like, “How do you play a Db9 chord?”
The first person to answer is anxious to demonstrate how smart s/he is, and writes, “ D and F# and A and C and Eb, but if you want it to sound really cool, leave out the D, and try adding the #11th and the 13th. Then, play the Aeolean mode on B in your right hand. Change inversions frequently. Really a ‘happening’ sound.” Someone else argues with this. By the fifth or sixth post, an intelligent individual has chimed in, and is inquiring of the OP if the Db9 is a D-chord with a flatted ninth, or a Db chord with a major ninth. Of course, this critical question gets obliterated in the chatter.

The other aspect of WRONG ANSWERS from the Forums has to do with the student’s level of preparedness. If the individual asking the question(s) is a beginner, s/he will require a completely different level and depth of explanation, than if s/he is an advanced student. Here, THE teacher of this student is fully aware of which explanation to give, and why. The rest of us are taking a “stab in the dark”.

OR, better yet, I could use this precise, current thread as an example of BOTH:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2009745

So, for those of you inclined to tap into this vast storehouse of wisdom and knowledge that we call the Forums, I certainly agree that you will get a much BROADER RANGE of answers to your questions. Equally, many of you also have enough knowledge to filter through the pile of answers - right and not-so-right - and sift out the garbage. But what about those who are asking questions WITHOUT enough knowledge? Without the ability of sift?

Ed

#2011537 - 01/09/13 02:56 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ed's just taken the words right out of my mouth.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2011606 - 01/09/13 08:29 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: LoPresti]

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
We have heard from many individuals, whose opinions I respect, on why THEY might ask questions on the Forums, INSTEAD of asking their own teachers essentially the same questions. Here might be a compelling reason to NOT ask such questions on the Forums: WRONG ANSWERS

There is the classically ludicrous level of WRONG ANSWERS, typically happening more often on the Non-Classical Pianist Forum than with the Teachers’ Forum. A “student” asks something like, “How do you play a Db9 chord?”
The first person to answer is anxious to demonstrate how smart s/he is, and writes, “ D and F# and A and C and Eb, but if you want it to sound really cool, leave out the D, and try adding the #11th and the 13th. Then, play the Aeolean mode on B in your right hand. Change inversions frequently. Really a ‘happening’ sound.” Someone else argues with this. By the fifth or sixth post, an intelligent individual has chimed in, and is inquiring of the OP if the Db9 is a D-chord with a flatted ninth, or a Db chord with a major ninth. Of course, this critical question gets obliterated in the chatter.

The other aspect of WRONG ANSWERS from the Forums has to do with the student’s level of preparedness. If the individual asking the question(s) is a beginner, s/he will require a completely different level and depth of explanation, than if s/he is an advanced student. Here, THE teacher of this student is fully aware of which explanation to give, and why. The rest of us are taking a “stab in the dark”.

OR, better yet, I could use this precise, current thread as an example of BOTH:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2009745

So, for those of you inclined to tap into this vast storehouse of wisdom and knowledge that we call the Forums, I certainly agree that you will get a much BROADER RANGE of answers to your questions. Equally, many of you also have enough knowledge to filter through the pile of answers - right and not-so-right - and sift out the garbage. But what about those who are asking questions WITHOUT enough knowledge? Without the ability of sift?

Ed

+1.

Most often, the teacher who knows what their student has learned and what they're capable of are the best ones to answer their questions, no matter how "dumb" they may seem. Most teachers are delighted when a student is asking questions, because it usually means they're thinking about what is being taught, or it gives us insight into the student's interests, thought-process, and most importantly, understanding of what was taught. The latter is really important because if the student asks a question that clearly shows they did not understand what was taught, then the teacher knows they were not veyr good at explaining it for them. It gives us another chance to explain it differently.

Yes, that takes up lesson time. But isn't that what the lesson is for? To learn how to play piano better?

#2011610 - 01/09/13 08:44 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

1. My teacher takes more time to respond than here. Particularly if he's on holidays for a few weeks

2. Teacher's time is expensive, so it's better if I am far prepared as possible before going to lesson.

3. It's good to hear other than the teacher's ideas and make up my own mind.

#2011617 - 01/09/13 09:04 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: wouter79]

Originally Posted By: wouter79
1. My teacher takes more time to respond than here. Particularly if he's on holidays for a few weeks

2. Teacher's time is expensive, so it's better if I am far prepared as possible before going to lesson.

I think the question is more rather than asking your teacher, you ask here. So it's not asking your teacher and other teachers, it's instead of asking your teacher that is the issue.

#2011636 - 01/09/13 10:01 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: wouter79]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada

The holidays for a few weeks is indeed a problem. But I see a hiccup in 2 and 3. I don't know if your teacher is forming you as a pianist (technique etc.) or just advising you on how to interpret pieces. If it is the former, then your teacher is advising you, expecting you to be doing that at home, and then in the next lesson will see how that advice works. If you have practised something that someone else has told you, that puts a spanner into it.

The idea of "being prepared" is not that of playing a piece very well. It means having done what was suggested to the best of your ability, so that whatever it is that a teacher wants to bring it can start growing. Again, that is with the assumption that the teacher is shaping the student rather than working on interpreting pieces alone.

#2011643 - 01/09/13 10:25 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: wouter79]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
1. . . .
2. . . .

To add to KeyString's very diplomatic response, this idea will NOT WORK if your teacher is a good one, AND you wish to continue with her/him for very long.

Most teachers have well developed teaching philosophies, involving certain approaches to subjects, and a defined order of presentation. In the end, everything will be covered, learned, and complete. When one goes off on his own, he breaks out of that nicely structured environment. We wish you well . . .

#2011645 - 01/09/13 10:30 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: keystring]

Originally Posted By: keystring

The idea of "being prepared" is not that of playing a piece very well. It means having done what was suggested to the best of your ability, so that whatever it is that a teacher wants to bring it can start growing. Again, that is with the assumption that the teacher is shaping the student rather than working on interpreting pieces alone.

I really like how you said this. It does involve a great deal of trust in the abilities of your teacher to simply do what is asked and not add to it, embellish it, and interpret it. Often it's these latter additions to a task that cause a student to slow their progress and self-destruct. I'm speaking in terms of technique, not in terms of a student adding their own musical interpretations - this I encourage and love to hear from students.

#2011646 - 01/09/13 10:32 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
The reasons for students posting in the teacher forum are varied. If a student has a teacher, and as soon as the teacher advises something the student asks here what he could be doing instead, that is unfair to the teacher, shows a lack of trust and respect. It also undermines the learning process. So that's one scenario.

Student has teacher, cannot understand instructions, and has tried asking many times. Sometimes getting it from a different angle can break the impasse. If it happens constantly then there is more wrong and maybe the student should look for a different teacher.

Students can also be timid and not know what's ok to ask. I think the teacher reaction here is loud and clear, saying "We want to be asked, and feel bad if you ask strangers rather than your own teacher."

That said, there are other situations. You go to your lesson every week, there's a routine, everyone plays his role. Somehow in that routine you feel you don't really know what's ok or expected and there seems to be no way of finding out - you don't quite know what to ask or how to ask it. If you do try to say anything you come out as a blithering idiot, confusing and worrying your teacher. Anyone who has been there will recognize it. If you started lessons as a kid, your parent took care of that. (Parent might be in that situation, though). .... better to have the initial long rambly confusing paragraphs here, and get it sorted out, than getting stuck "out there". In that case the advice a student gets might go far in lessons afterward. If students understand the teacher world, and vice versa, it makes for better communication in the long run.

There is also inept teaching, misguided teaching, harmful teaching, and misteaching. Being in unfamiliar territory in the first place, a student or parent only has a vague feeling that "something seems to be wrong here". Most of the time it starts with "what is wrong with me" and what am I doing wrong". There is a need for information and perspective in order to sort it out.

The teacher-student world also has a history that students won't know about. Thus we get the student planning to become an organist of Baroque music who got advice from organists, joined their guild, followed that advice with a teacher for several years and then had to stop. When he tried to resume, no teacher would take him. He had no idea of the negative experiences teachers have with adults, how his legitimate requests would be interpreted. That had to be found out in a forum, i.e. here.

But for what tenleftthumbs was talking about, ..... well actually tlt, if you are accessible and open to your students as you seem to be, the chances are low that your students wouldn't ask you. Or how about inviting older students or parents to ask things they might have been shy to ask, so they know the door is open.

#2011652 - 01/09/13 10:40 AM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: wouter79]
casinitaly Offline

I see this as also being as informed as possible on the question I want to ask, not just practicing what I understand the instructions to be - those are 2 very different things.

For example, if I'm going to consult with someone to replace my windows, I want to learn something so I can ask intelligent questions and understand the replies.
I do homework and research on the topic.

Sometimes that's what I'm doing in PW, for things I will later discuss with my teacher.

I'm starting to wonder though, if the teachers here would prefer to not have questions from other forum members?

Do you see it as an infringement of your time here? Or do you see it as somehow possibly "undermining" colleagues? Would you be upset if your students were asking questions here before approaching you / instead of approaching you? I can see that "instead of" could be frustrating and disappointing - but as well as?

On the other hand - no one is obliged to respond to a post if they don't want to.....

I agree with LoPresti that sometimes the depth of detail in a set of replies can be more confusing that helpful - and in part that's due to a lack of understanding about how much the OP in the case has as background support information, and in part because sometimes OPs don't actually know how to phrase their questions.

There's another reason it can be helpful to ask questions here - (or in another PW forum) - it can clarify our ideas and help us understand WHAT we have to ask, to get the right words.
A number of folks have lessons which are not taught in English - could be Italian, French, German, Russian even Japanese.....and that adds a whole new set of complications to an already challenging activity!

#2011683 - 01/09/13 12:14 PM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: LoPresti]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LoPresti
1. . . .
2. . . .

To add to KeyString's very diplomatic response, this idea will NOT WORK if your teacher is a good one, AND you wish to continue with her/him for very long.

Most teachers have well developed teaching philosophies, involving certain approaches to subjects, and a defined order of presentation. In the end, everything will be covered, learned, and complete. When one goes off on his own, he breaks out of that nicely structured environment. We wish you well . . .

I'm adult, not a kid that needs or even accepts everything spoon fed. On the contrary, a good teacher must be prepared to defend his position and philosophies, and to compare it with other approaches. Also, this may involve me trying things that the teacher would not advocate but can be learned only by trying. We (teacher and me) sometimes have a good discussion about technique, interpretation etc. I highly value these discussions, they learn me more than just his philosophy but also the foundations behind it and the goals he is aiming at. And my teacher in fact is very happy to do this.

#2011685 - 01/09/13 12:20 PM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: keystring]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't know if your teacher is forming you as a pianist (technique etc.) or just advising you on how to interpret pieces. If it is the former, then your teacher is advising you, expecting you to be doing that at home, and then in the next lesson will see how that advice works. If you have practised something that someone else has told you, that puts a spanner into it.

Of course I'm not ignoring the teacher's suggestions. What I'm saying is that (1) I'm also trying alternative solutions and interpretations (2) I'm doing a lot more in a week than we can go through in an hour.

#2011718 - 01/09/13 02:00 PM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: casinitaly]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I'm starting to wonder though, if the teachers here would prefer to not have questions from other forum members?

Do you see it as an infringement of your time here? Or do you see it as somehow possibly "undermining" colleagues? Would you be upset if your students were asking questions here before approaching you / instead of approaching you? I can see that "instead of" could be frustrating and disappointing - but as well as?

Questions are the nature of the forum. If I choose to answer, then I am happy to answer. smile It's certainly not an infringement of my time.

I would hope if a student of mine had a question they would ask me first, and not worry that I would laugh if they express themselves inexpertly. I know what their 'plan' is, and how something else might fit into it.

Yes I am a little bit worried about undermining or criticising a teacher who is, after all, my colleague.

Mostly, I get worried when a question receives answers which are unhelpful. Mostly, they are not wrong, but often they are fuelled by the poster's desire to look clever.

I do appreciate some students will want to check that what is happening is normal, and every now and then someone will spot that they are not getting a good deal with their teacher.

I did once ask a guitar-related question on an international guitar forum, just two days after a lesson. I didn't ask my teacher because I wasn't a regular student, it was just a one-off lesson. There was a mis-print in the book, in the page just beyond what we had covered in the lesson, and I was confused. You'll never guess who answered - my teacher! crazy

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2011824 - 01/09/13 05:30 PM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: ten left thumbs]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs

I would hope if a student of mine had a question they would ask me first, and not worry that I would laugh if they express themselves inexpertly. I know what their 'plan' is, and how something else might fit into it.

I liked all your reply TLT, (especially the coincidence of your teacher answering your question on the forum!) so forgive me for just chopping this bit out, but it really caught my attention.

Even though I know my teacher would never laugh at me - and I know, that as a teacher I don't laugh at my students, and I encourage them to ask lots of questions --- I still very much understand their fears of looking silly and their discomfort, as much as I recognize my own hesitation to "put myself out there" as someone who is just "not getting it". (whatever the "it" might be at the moment).

What's a bit funny, considering our discusison, is that I have actually hesitated or avoided posting in the forums for the same reason - I sometimes fear my question is just too basic for folks to bother with. It isn't a rational fear, it is purely emotional and ego, but there you go. Human nature.
Thank goodness for search engines! Someone has almost always asked the same question I wanted to. More power to them!

#2011915 - 01/09/13 08:59 PM Re: Why won't students ask their teachers? [Re: keystring]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City

...If you do try to say anything you come out as a blithering idiot, confusing and worrying your teacher...

Was that you I heard in the hall outside my lesson?
I don't think my teacher is worried though, he's used to it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (ajames, Anne'sson, 36251, A Guy, 34 invisible), 1831 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156087 Topics
2292108 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First steps for improvisers and composers
by Mark Polishook
07/23/14 10:09 AM
First steps for improvisers and composers
by Mark Polishook
07/23/14 09:56 AM
Partial strength - hammer voicing or soundboard ?
by prout
07/23/14 09:53 AM
sostenuto in player pianos
by Pete O'Hearn
07/23/14 09:13 AM
Will USB 3 & new ssd speeds make a difference?
by johnlewisgrant
07/23/14 08:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission