Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2010626 - 01/07/13 02:12 PM Books on early 20th century (piano) music?
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
I'm looking for books on the topic of piano music from the late 19th century and onwards, mainly up until mid-20th century or so. I read David Burges wonderful "20th century piano music" which covers a wide range of music, but would love to head other suggestions. Any ideas?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2010664 - 01/07/13 03:36 PM Re: Books on early 20th century (piano) music? [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
By an old professor of mine -- maybe you know of him too, since you have some Cornell connections....

Music in the 20th Century, from Debussy Through Stravinsky (William W. Austin)

#2010667 - 01/07/13 03:48 PM Re: Books on early 20th century (piano) music? [Re: Mark_C]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
By an old professor of mine -- maybe you know of him too, since you have some Cornell connections....

That's one of my favorite books on 20th century music, and the very first I ever perused. How interesting it must have been to learn from the man himself!

Music for Piano: A Short History by F. E. Kirby has a very thorough accounting of works by all the major (and many minor and now unknown) late 19th-early 20th century composers for piano. It's more like a list than an exploration of everything in depth, although there are discussions of major trends and the qualities of individual works.

#2010678 - 01/07/13 04:17 PM Re: Books on early 20th century (piano) music? [Re: AldenH]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: AldenH
....How interesting it must have been to learn from the man himself!

I didn't fully appreciate stuff like that at the time. To me he was mainly just a slightly weird old guy. ha

I took two courses of his, "Chopin, Chaikovsky * and Mussorgsky" and "Bartok, Schoenberg and Stravinsky," also sort of hung out a little.

* Yeah, for some reason he liked spelling it that way. So, we called the course "The 3 C's." grin
We didn't care that Mussorgsky begins with M.
We had the good grace never to call the other course "BS." ha

He loved Debussy -- felt he was underrated and one of the great giants. BTW he was a pretty good pianist and liked performing a piece sometimes at the end of a class. He was pretty good but not great -- not nearly as good as another well-known music historian who was there at the time, Donald Grout.

#2012091 - 01/10/13 05:45 AM Re: Books on early 20th century (piano) music? [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Thanks for this, picked it up from my library - for some reason I hadn't taken note of this one yet. Started reading a bit here and there and yes, seems like a fabulous and well-written (which isn't always the case) book! He does seem to stress Debussy's importance, and some bits on Bartok's life were very charmingly and accurately depicted, to my mind. I'm sure I'll get through this one very soon! Also found Jim Samson's "Music in transition" which focuses on the beginning of the 20th century - he's a good writer as well and knows a lot on this topic.

(as a matter of fact, I'm trying to gather information for submitting an application for a doctoral degree. Having an idea for a theme for the five doctoral concerts + the written dissertation is a must, and the idea I'm trying to develop could be called 'Off the beaten path: early 20th century (piano) music', where I'd like to focus on music from this time and in particular to put to the fore numerous composers and works that didn't get their well-deserved appraisal in time. Works on my mind include the complete Debussy studies, Szymanowski's works, Samuil Feinberg's music as well as various russian/soviet avant-garde composers, Medtner, Bartok studies, a whole bunch of other things...when one starts thinking of it, the variety of musical expression in the early 20th century is just astonishing)

#2012194 - 01/10/13 10:36 AM Re: Books on early 20th century (piano) music? [Re: fnork]
Opus 1 Music Offline

I also have read the Samson and it is quite good. You may consider as well looking for some scholarly articles or dissertations on specific composers or music if there is something of particular interest to you. I am studying for a DMA comprehensive exam and was wondering how the Burge book is? I have it on a list I am going to get from the library, but if it isn't too useful, I won't add it to the short list.

Working on:
Solo program
Grieg Sonata in e minor; Bartok Romanian Dances; Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 110; Mozart Concerto in d minor, K. 466

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, BB Player, andwi, 26 invisible), 1287 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156116 Topics
2292551 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
Today at 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission