2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 158 of 540 1 2 156 157 158 159 160 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl, you are a kind soul indeed - I'm sure that your friend really appreciates your thoughtfulness.
Thanks also for your tip on elbows...I am always fighting tension so maybe that's something that can help me too.
Your experiences with your new teacher sound wonderful!
(btw since you asked..... usually the expression is growth "spurt" - and yes, after a long plateau I feel I'm growing again!)

MaryBee your experience without power sounds positively poetic!!!! Mind you I was forgetting about the heat being off. hmmmmm well, still, a special atmosphere indeed!

Edwardian Piano - what great news that you're feeling happier about your reading. I've started looking at Brian's book too, but I haven't read past the intro yet. Tomorrow I plan to sink my teeth into it smile

so my achievements are that I got a decent recording of my second little piece-- though I know it could be better, it is pretty representative of where I'm at right now.
I just got home from my lesson and talking to my teacher about how the metronome is not my friend. He understood but did not relent smile He said he probably wouldn't have introduced it just yet except that we'd come across a situation in which he felt it could really help, and so.... time to learn to work with it. I was very excited because he has been thinking about getting me into playing a longer piece - sometime before Christmas. He's going to bring some samples and we'll decide together. He's thinking of Mozart or Beethoven - something 4-5 pages in length (possibly just the first movement of a sonata or sonatina...) I feel very excited about this.

Ciao for now folks!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

I can play the whole middle section (the arpeggio / scary part) of Clair De Lune. It ain't performance ready by any stretch, but my ability to touch all the notes and make something sounding like music out of it is pretty thrilling and a huge step up for me.....

Also, decided to take on Schubert's unfinished 571. It's gonna be a project, too, but a worthwhile effort.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow so much good stuff going on here!

Farm girl: thanks for that info on the elbows! I didn't realize that they should be tucked in. You might have just saved the day there! smile

Warlock: How did your lesson go? First lessons are really exciting.

House: that is awesome! It is a huge step. Congrats!

Cas: I am working with the metronome myself right now. They are horrid to get used to but really do help! Let us know which 4-5 pager you pick! How exciting!

hmm my achievement.. well I hurt my wrist again so I'm back in a brace but I can still play for short periods of time. So I decided to use the time to work on basics. I got the old metronome out and have been going through all my beginning pages of Faber and Alfreds. It's going well so far (hard to believe some of this I spent a month or more learning! LOL) and I'm glad I decided to use this time to go back to the beginning. I'm more focused on what I'm doing and it seems easier. smile Hopefully it will really help me cement my basic skills while I heal.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Househead, that does sound exciting.

Becca, I hope you heal quickly.
I worked with the metronome again today after the lesson and it was actually a bit better. Perhaps the fact that my teacher acknowledged that it wasn't easy to get used to using it helped me relax and strangely enough, do better?

Going back over old pieces never hurts - and can be very satisfying.

I will indeed let you know when we've picked the longer piece!

Last edited by casinitaly; 11/06/12 05:45 PM.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HouseHead78
I can play the whole middle section (the arpeggio / scary part) of Clair De Lune. It ain't performance ready by any stretch, but my ability to touch all the notes and make something sounding like music out of it is pretty thrilling and a huge step up for me.....

Also, decided to take on Schubert's unfinished 571. It's gonna be a project, too, but a worthwhile effort.

Great work! I love Clair De Lune.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Edwardian Piano - what great news that you're feeling happier about your reading. I've started looking at Brian's book too, but I haven't read past the intro yet. Tomorrow I plan to sink my teeth into it smile

I have read Brian's ebook- it's good. I am now going to put some dinner in the oven and practise then have dinner and watch Lang Lang in concert on iplayer- he is over here for the Leeds Piano competition. He played Franz Liszt in this concert.

so my achievements are that I got a decent recording of my second little piece-- though I know it could be better, it is pretty representative of where I'm at right now.
I just got home from my lesson and talking to my teacher about how the metronome is not my friend. He understood but did not relent smile He said he probably wouldn't have introduced it just yet except that we'd come across a situation in which he felt it could really help, and so.... time to learn to work with it. I was very excited because he has been thinking about getting me into playing a longer piece - sometime before Christmas. He's going to bring some samples and we'll decide together. He's thinking of Mozart or Beethoven - something 4-5 pages in length (possibly just the first movement of a sonata or sonatina...) I feel very excited about this.

Ciao for now folks!

All sounds exciting! I am getting on better with the online metronome- don't dislike it now- finDing it helpful now LOL.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
hmm my achievement.. well I hurt my wrist again so I'm back in a brace but I can still play for short periods of time. So I decided to use the time to work on basics. I got the old metronome out and have been going through all my beginning pages of Faber and Alfreds. It's going well so far (hard to believe some of this I spent a month or more learning! LOL) and I'm glad I decided to use this time to go back to the beginning. I'm more focused on what I'm doing and it seems easier. smile Hopefully it will really help me cement my basic skills while I heal.

hope your wrist gets better soon

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think I must be improving sight reading wise, because I tried Alpine Melody from Alfred's and before dinner couldn't play it- was applying Brian's method to work out L hand notes then after dinner I started working on it. I actually started practising BH together because I know the R hand chords ( R hand is chords). Suddenly something in my brain clicked and I was playing it quite fluidly in 15 minutes! Not sure the timning is exact yet but getting the right notes and doing the chord changes faster. Something like this would have taken me days to play a few weeks ago. I raised my arms and said AWESOME at my improvement LOL. It's a small beginner's step but I feel the improvement.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
I think I must be improving sight reading wise, because I tried Alpine Melody from Alfred's and before dinner couldn't play it- was applying Brian's method to work out L hand notes then after dinner I started working on it. I actually started practising BH together because I know the R hand chords ( R hand is chords). Suddenly something in my brain clicked and I was playing it quite fluidly in 15 minutes! Not sure the timning is exact yet but getting the right notes and doing the chord changes faster. Something like this would have taken me days to play a few weeks ago. I raised my arms and said AWESOME at my improvement LOL. It's a small beginner's step but I feel the improvement.

Now that is something to be excited about ! I'm delighted for you! Have you mentioned this to Brian yet? I bet he'd be tickled pink too !

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I told him to have a look at this thread .... wink

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/08/12 10:50 AM.
J
J
Hi everyone! I love this thread -- and since I just started lessons myself, I figured I would join the conversation. I just got back from my second lesson. I played the two pieces I was assigned last week for my teacher and he was very impressed! Much to my delight(since i spent a lot of time on this facet), he was genuinely shocked by how dynamically accurate I played the pieces. There were lots of crescendos, accents, staccatos, etc, and I nailed just about all of them (FIST PUMP!). Needless to say, I am very encouraged after watching his reaction to my progress. Unfortunately, sight reading and quickly translating the note on the page to its appropriate key on the piano still takes a long time for me. My teacher says that will come with more practice by learning the pieces. Are there other exercises someone could suggest to help speed this up? I feel like that particular part of my learning is far behind where my overall ability is(just beginning, but i guess technique-wise I'm a little ahead of average). Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well done justjeff!

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your awesome lesson, justjeff!
Originally Posted by justjeff
Unfortunately, sight reading and quickly translating the note on the page to its appropriate key on the piano still takes a long time for me. My teacher says that will come with more practice by learning the pieces. Are there other exercises someone could suggest to help speed this up?

There are a number of computer or smartphone based trainers to help with learning to translate notes on the staff to keys on the piano. I can't suggest smartphone options since I don't have one, but for computer based trainers I like the exercises at Teoria.com and the multiplatform computer app PrestoKeys

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

And he just did. I'm not sure what color I just turned (pink is for girls), but tickled definitely!

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
J
J
Edwardian - Thanks mate smile

Tangleweeds - A smartphone app would be most excellent. Going to look into that, thanks for the tip. smile

A
A
Finally, finally got a good recording without red dot incited black-outs, nervous finger slips, mind wandering and fingers wandering another way, or similar funny business breaking concentration. My piece is ready for the recital laugh Happy!

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
1. I got my first (digital) piano - allowing me to practice for the first time in years.

2. I could still make a decent effort at Chopin's Em and Bm preludes

3. My sightreading seems to have improved while I've been away - basically sight-read Bach's Prelude in C with little slowing down/wrong notes and caught myself actually reading the bar ahead of the one I'm playing, which I don't think I've ever been able to do before on piano.

W
W
I just played my first whole page of sheet music acceptably (to me anyways) since when I was a kid, weee.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas

And he just did. I'm not sure what color I just turned (pink is for girls), but tickled definitely!

LOL! Did you know that in the early 1800s pink was for boys and blue for girls?

Appreciate your help Brian- this forum is so good! I am finding the tips, encouragement etc a great help on my piano journey.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Finally, finally got a good recording without red dot incited black-outs, nervous finger slips, mind wandering and fingers wandering another way, or similar funny business breaking concentration. My piece is ready for the recital laugh Happy!

Sounds good Allard! I know what you mean about funny business- I have a lot of that ha ha!

Page 158 of 540 1 2 156 157 158 159 160 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission