Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2012315 - 01/10/13 03:28 PM PRACTICE ROUTINE
motifxs Offline

Loc: new jersey
Hello all..My name is Derek, and I'm fairly new to the site...I've been playing by ear for over 30yrs and now beginning to learn theory..Does anyone mind sharing their practice routine with me.. I love to hear other ppl's routines..Thanks in advance

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2012324 - 01/10/13 03:46 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
Not much routine here. I do scales and stuff only when I feel like it or think I need it because I have lost the "feel" of the keys. I usually work on 3-4 pieces if I have the time. I change piece when I feel like it grin

For me it works best to alternate between full tempo, slow practice and playing through the whole piece (when I can). I also alternate between practicing larger chunks and practicing just small fractions with difficult stuff. I don't have any fixed practice routine, but I am beginning to feel quite well what works and what doesn't at a given time, so I change when I feel I am not getting anything out of what I am doing.

I tried all kinds of what to do lists, but they always turned out to be useless or forgotten after a couple of days grin

#2012329 - 01/10/13 03:52 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
15 minutes on, 5 minute break .... may sound strange but whatever you do, break it up as your focus will be better, imo...

#2012330 - 01/10/13 03:54 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: outo]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Thanks for sharing. It is very similar to me I agree about lists.

#2012331 - 01/10/13 03:55 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
By "now beginning to learn theory," does that mean you can comfortably read and recognize music from the written sheet or are in the process of learning? I ask because I'd suggest becoming fairly proficient with this - possibly through the linear progression used in something like a beginner's method book (ex. Alfred's all-in-one piano book 1) - before just picking up any piece of music and trying to learn from it. This is especially important in your case because with as developed of an ear as you have, you don't want to rely on it as a crutch (this could happen subconsciously) for not wanting to or not being able to read, especially when that's your goal.

#2012345 - 01/10/13 04:19 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Theory is becoming a beguiling mistress.... gotta love going down the rabbit hole of knowledge! :-):-)

#2012385 - 01/10/13 05:35 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
motifxs Offline

Bobpickle,that's my problem..By my ear being so good,it's hard to wanna learn to read(and I know the basic's)when I could just listen to the song two or three times and have it.

#2012390 - 01/10/13 05:53 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I`ve never been a decent sight reader for the same reasons Motif. I get by. I practice what I need to to do the job in hand; at the moment it`s this Mendelssohn recital, I`m loving putting the effort in.

""

#2012508 - 01/10/13 10:12 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: motifxs
Bobpickle,that's my problem..By my ear being so good,it's hard to wanna learn to read(and I know the basic's)when I could just listen to the song two or three times and have it.

You're going to need to bite the bullet then at some point and set aside time each day that you're able and focus on nothing else but learning the skill and then drilling it into you (great drills at emusictheory.com). Our own Brian Lucas devised a course that some of us here helped review that I would recommend: http://www.simplesightreading.com/

Otherwise, check out my thread with free, approachable online resources for learning music theory here: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1948785.html

#2014599 - 01/14/13 07:04 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: Bobpickle]
itsahobbie Offline

start with scales technique etc. then site read a bit. then practive an etude then play a piece or 2. whole thing can get done 45m to an hour, if im tired i skip something . wow i bet ur really good because its a gift to pick it up by ear.. i think. if u want to learn theory you should start by learning how to read music. then u start site reading a bit every day easy stuff and u just go from there. what style of piano do u play?

#2014893 - 01/15/13 12:08 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
motifxs Offline

Thank you all for the comments..I do wanna learn to read but between gigs and gigs and gigs lol. it's hard to focus on..

#2019821 - 01/23/13 06:06 PM Re: PRACTICE ROUTINE [Re: motifxs]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
I won't say that I do this all the time ... but this is the routine my teacher has recommended to get in roughly one hour of daily practice.

Warm-up/Exercises: 5-10 minutes
Scales: 10 minutes
2 or 3 WIPs (Works in Progress): 15-20 minutes per piece

I can alternate days working on the WIPs rather than trying to cram all of them in every day. If I need to split the time during the day, my teacher recommends doing exercises with one of the WIPs and scales with the other. That way, scales also serve as a warm-up. Btw, my exercises are all from the "Dozen a Day" books, since I own a couple of different ones in the series. I find they are very useful. (No, I'm certainly NOT doing 12 exercises daily, ha-ha! Also, I don't follow them in order. My teacher selects particular ones for the skills I need to learn/practice.) I imagine you could use any exercise materials that are designed to teach technical skills and sight-reading.

Hope this is helpful.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Who's Online
69 registered (angga888, alfredo capurso, 18 invisible), 1081 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158406 Topics
2326249 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission