Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2012384 - 01/10/13 05:34 PM Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound
Tina5 Offline

I am looking for a good used piano for my kids. And I think I settled at least for the brand. I played the older Baldwin 60,70s console and the newer Hamilton 90's upright. And surprisingly older consoles sounded better to me. Is it true that quality was better back then or it is depends on each single case? At the beginning I thought that the newer the better. Now I got lost
Any suggestions.. Help!!!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2012391 - 01/10/13 05:54 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Newer isn't better...nor worse.

It is a matter of the sound, look, and touch you prefer.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2012393 - 01/10/13 05:55 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
musicpassion Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Piano quality by brand through different eras - it's a complicated question. I'm gonna pass on it for right now.

But I do have one idea that might be helpful: consider each piano individually. In other words don't worry about when it was made, be concerned about the condition and quality of each piano.

#2012429 - 01/10/13 07:20 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi, Tina, and welcome to Piano World! smile

I know what you mean about the unique Baldwin tone... I think most of the older Baldwins have it; not sure what the newer ones sound like.

There is a community college not far from home and they had 4 old studio upright pianos for sale through state surplus not long ago; two older Kawai's and two older Baldwin 243's (all 45"/46").

Since it was close by, I went to look at the pianos... the Kawai's were okay, but didn't really stand out to me... the Baldwin 243 models had that unique Baldwin tone. It appealed to me.

The pianos were actually listed on eBay through the state administrative services surplus sales department. I bid high enough on the Baldwin to insure I was the high bidder... I was, and I love the piano.

So, I can relate to what you are saying about the sound of the older Baldwins. The studio models are a little taller than the consoles but I'm sure the consoles sound nice too.

I would suggest having a qualified piano tech check out whatever you decide to buy.

Good luck and keep us informed. smile

Rick

#2012442 - 01/10/13 07:44 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Rickster speaks the truth. There is something "special" about the sound of a good Baldwin. The Baldwins from the 50-70's were very well constructed. Maybe others have info on the craftsmanship during the 90's.

Good luck with your search.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2013086 - 01/11/13 09:08 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Tina5 Offline

Thank you much all! Now I got a better idea about Baldwin.
Today I went to see an older Baldwin, it sounded good, but had a web and dust all inside and outside. Not sure if it is even worth to ask technician to come.

#2013087 - 01/11/13 09:11 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
Tina5 Offline

Does anybody know about Sherman Clay SRS-11, 6 years old barely use. Looks very attractive and price seems unrealistically good for the new piano??

#2013106 - 01/11/13 09:47 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
500 Post Club Member

Probably someone else here will have more information, but here's a start:

The Sherman Clay would be a stencil piano (in other words a manufacturer built the piano and then Sherman Clay puts their name on it). The question is, who manufactured the piano?

#2013112 - 01/11/13 10:00 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: musicpassion]
Tina5 Offline

Thanks for your help, I thought something is wrong there.
I tried contact the seller about manufacturer company, but he doesn't know anything. So, I guess it is just waste of time to go there..

#2013117 - 01/11/13 10:06 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I wouldn't give up on a dusty piano with spider webs. Rust or moisture stains, yes, but dust can be cleaned. Most stencil pianos are lesser quality than OEM.

#2013120 - 01/11/13 10:10 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Hi Tina,

Sherman Clay is a dealer on the West Coast with numerous locations and the piano you are thinking about would be their "house piano."

http://www.shermanclay.com/

There is a member here who is associated with the company, but for the life of me, I can't think of the name. Someone will help out, I'm sure. Sherman Clay, the dealership, can tell you who manufactures their pianos.

#2013123 - 01/11/13 10:20 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tina5
Thanks for your help, I thought something is wrong there.
I tried contact the seller about manufacturer company, but he doesn't know anything. So, I guess it is just waste of time to go there..

I don't think we have enough information yet to determine that. A stencil piano can be a nice piano.

#2013125 - 01/11/13 10:26 PM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Bob]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob
Most stencil pianos are lesser quality than OEM.

Not necessarily true in today's market.

#2013168 - 01/12/13 01:15 AM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: musicpassion]
Tina5 Offline

Just found out that Sherman Clay was made in Korea, 5 or 6 years ago. Is it worth a trip?

#2013198 - 01/12/13 03:33 AM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Tina5]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tina5
Just found out that Sherman Clay was made in Korea, 5 or 6 years ago. Is it worth a trip?

Yes, I think so. Made in Korea probably means it was manufactured by Samick or Daewoo (or perhaps Young Chang). For a time Korean pianos were considered a step above Chinese or Indonesian pianos (but lesser than the Japanese pianos). Certain Chinese manufacturers have - in my opinion - greatly come up in the world recently, but my point for this piano is that it was not a "bottom of the heap cheapest possible" manufacturer.

In my opinion the average Korean piano is a generally reliable but thouroughly consumer grade instrument. As long as the price reflects the consumer grade then I'd go look at it.

And sometimes these (meaning consumer grade pianos) sound better than they have any right to. I'll never forget a certain Young Chang grand I played when I was hired for a gig one time... it was a delightful piano.

#2013199 - 01/12/13 03:35 AM Re: Baldwin new or old, the differences in sound [Re: Minnesota Marty]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted By: Bob
Most stencil pianos are lesser quality than OEM.

Not necessarily true in today's market.

I agree with Marty.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, Akshay, Allard, 19 invisible), 1144 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250090 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission