Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2009918 - 01/06/13 10:10 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Congratulations!!!!

Now we want pictures.

You are in for a treat. There are few experiences better than sitting down to your newly delivered piano for the first time. Enjoy.

Estonia L190 #7284

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2009922 - 01/06/13 10:17 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Way to go!
When you know it's the one, you stop looking.
We found ours at the 2nd shop we went to when we were just doing some preliminary exploration.

#2009934 - 01/06/13 10:52 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Congratulations on the purchase. Can't wait to see and hear it smile This story makes me long for buying one, too.

#2010358 - 01/07/13 01:26 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Yay! Congrats... Enjoy your piano!

#2010517 - 01/07/13 10:22 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Just a small update, delivery is confirmed for Tuesday (tomorrow) around 4pm.
I've got my lounge ready for it and I'm dead excited.

Neil.
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

#2010538 - 01/07/13 11:19 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Congratulations! How exciting! Be ready to be playing all day after your piano comes. I have no doubt you made a great decision and you will have many great years together! Enjoy!

#2010588 - 01/07/13 01:08 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations, Neil! And no need to apologize. You went into your piano shopping better educated and with more full disclosure than the vast majority of first-time acoustic buyers. I am confident you made the right decision for you. And I am also confident that time will drag by slowly until tomorrow at 4:00. grin

#2010780 - 01/07/13 06:00 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Haha, thanks Monica, now I'm home from work with the day booked off tomorrow and I'm thinking you're right in that the minutes are going to be twice as long.

Quick question, I'm going to be biting at the bit to play it once its here, but should I hold off from using it right after the move, I know there is a long term settling in period, but is it harmful to use it right away. Probably a silly question, but thought its best to check.

Neil.

#2010838 - 01/07/13 08:48 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: neildradford
Haha, thanks Monica, now I'm home from work with the day booked off tomorrow and I'm thinking you're right in that the minutes are going to be twice as long.

Quick question, I'm going to be biting at the bit to play it once its here, but should I hold off from using it right after the move, I know there is a long term settling in period, but is it harmful to use it right away. Probably a silly question, but thought its best to check.

Neil.

The absolute worst thing you can do to a piano .... is not play it!!!

Kawai K3

#2011024 - 01/08/13 07:04 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
ChrisVenables Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hampshire, England
Originally Posted By: neildradford

Neil.

Hi Neil and many thanks for your kind words about us in your earlier post. We're blushing blush (Thanks to zrtf90 for the complimentary post too)

Regarding your question re using your piano immediately after delivery, yes, of course you can. However, when having a piano delivered when it's very cold outdoors and warm in your home, the entire piano, inside and out, will become covered in condensation within minutes which is not good news. So, if convenient for you, before delivery lower the room temperature to be close to the outside temperature and keep it cool for the first two hours after delivery. If you are unable to lower the room temperature, then keep the piano closed for a couple of hours after delivery to allow the piano to acclimatise to its new environment.

Your piano is now tuned, prepped and loaded and will be with you later this afternoon. Enjoy!

Best wishes.

Chris

#2011038 - 01/08/13 07:42 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Hey Chris, thanks for the curtesy call this morning, I've now opened the windows in the lounge with the door shut and closed off the radiator. I've also just had my hygrometer delivered from Amazon so I can now monitor the lounge all the time.

I'd just like to thank you again for such great, friendly service, I will definitely be recommending your shop to anybody looking for a piano and will be knocking on your door when it's time for an upgrade.

Please pass on my thanks to Will, his expertise was invaluable, we liked the fact we was left to try out the pianos and without any pushy salesmanship.

Now I'll go back to clock watching......3 1/2 hrs to go.

Neil.

#2011039 - 01/08/13 07:46 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Congrats Neil! I hope the next few hours fly for you! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2011213 - 01/08/13 02:15 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Another update for anyone who might care :-D

Piano arrived safely and an hour early. I've been checking everything is a-ok with it, there are a few minor issues with some of the keys and Will Venables is kindly driving to my home tomorrow morning to sort them, first class service!

Ill get some photos taken soon if anybody wants to see it. Ok I'm off to tinkle....

Neil.

#2011214 - 01/08/13 02:16 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Good news and can't wait to see the pics! Enjoy your tinkling! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2012080 - 01/10/13 04:55 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Hi guys, some photos as promised:

Will Venables made a home visit yesterday to tweak the piano to my liking a bit more (the touch), which is great service, so a big thank you to him.
I love this piano, I'm sure we are going to get on well together. Now all I need to do is work out where I can keep my sheet music and books........and also somewhere to put a mug of tea!

Neil.

#2012082 - 01/10/13 05:07 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Happy Birthday casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Neil, what a lovely piano! I'm sure you're going to enjoy many happy years of music with it.

Chris Venables was very kind when I wrote to him about questions on my piano (he used to sell the model before it was discontinued) - If I lived closer I would go to his shop too!

Congratulations!

#2012087 - 01/10/13 05:30 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Allard Offline

It's so pretty! Thanks for sharing the photos.

#2012151 - 01/10/13 08:55 AM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
It's really beautiful! Enjoy it!

#2012235 - 01/10/13 12:30 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Congrats again and thanks for the photos! Looking forward to hearing it (next ABF recital ?)

#2012335 - 01/10/13 04:06 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

wouter I think I'm some ways of entering the ABF recital yet. Ask me in another year and we'll see :-D

Neil.

#2012337 - 01/10/13 04:09 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Allard Offline

Hey now, we want to see that beautiful piano in action. Please consider joining! There are many advanced players in the recital, but also several 'true' beginners, like me. It's great fun and great practise.

#2012339 - 01/10/13 04:13 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Hey Allard, thanks for commenting. What sort of pieces can be played for the recital? To be honest I don't know the rules of the ABF recital? Is it audio only, or audio and video? How do you submit entries? Maybe I should read the thread on it haha.

Neil.

#2012347 - 01/10/13 04:22 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Stryder87 Offline
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013

Loc: New Westminster, BC Canada
Ooohhh nice! I'm sure the hamster on the dresser across the room will enjoy all the live performances it's going to get!! thumb

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.

#2012356 - 01/10/13 04:36 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Allard Offline

Neil, the quarterly recital is meant as a way to keep track of your progress, to give an idea of what you are playing, and to generally share the love of piano with the community smile People submit all sorts of music; last time there were several classical pieces, a live jazz recording, soundtracks, collections of shorter pieces... it can be anything, as long as it is piano-related. An audio recording is required; additional video is pretty cool but not required (well, except in your case, of course). Some use slide-shows, or simply a video of themselves playing, or even an awesome production like Amaruk's.

The AB Forum Recital Index shows mostly everything and everyone that has played.

#2012359 - 01/10/13 04:38 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Wooooohoooo Neil. Its a beauty!

You don't have to wait a year to be "good enough" for a recital. How about sticking something in the monthly piano bar? All levels are playing in there and the "barflies" are the most supportive audience you will ever encounter.

Enjoy your new piano.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2012450 - 01/10/13 07:56 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

Stryder, I did contemplate moving the hamster to a different room but she doesn't seem to mind, maybe she's tone deaf? :-D

Allard & JimF, thanks for the encouragement, I may just take you up on the offers.

Happy playing,

Neil.

#2012476 - 01/10/13 08:55 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As long as the hamster stays in the cage!
My daughter's hamster routinely escaped from a plastic enclosure and we had to search the house to find him!

#2012488 - 01/10/13 09:19 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Isn't it just the cat's meow when you can see a hamster cage reflected off your shiny, shiny new piano!

Congrats!

Edited by Stubbie (01/10/13 09:19 PM)

#2012506 - 01/10/13 10:10 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
neildradford Offline

If you look carefully you'll also see my Beagle sat in front of the piano. When it was first delivered and I played a few keys, the poor guy didn't know what was going on, he sat there barking and howling at the base of the piano..........or maybe he just didn't like my playing? :-)

#2012540 - 01/10/13 11:48 PM Re: Woohoo, going to a piano shop on Saturday [Re: neildradford]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Now that you mention it, I do believe I can make out the outline of the backside of a beagle! I love that sweet beagle voice: Aaawwwooooooooooowowowooooooo!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (ando, A Guy, allana, AndrewJCW, 32 invisible), 1339 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294604 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
22 minutes 38 seconds ago
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
52 minutes 45 seconds ago
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission