Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2013731 - 01/13/13 12:16 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Possum PX130350
Vox- what are you putting the Krome through for speakers?
Likely going with the 61 in a few weeks- I would be using this for seqeuncing/daw as well, and revisiting some of the revised old korg sounds.

I'll mainly be running it through my Roland SA300 300w stereo head and sub, before sending it on to the main PA system in larger venues. For rehearsals I use a pair of Mackie SRM-350s.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2013770 - 01/13/13 04:06 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks VP!
Very helpful... I know Coldplay are using Korg Triton module to create that organ sound, so I was hoping it could be done with the Krome as well.

Would you say that the overall decay of the main piano sounds are on par with Roland's Supernaturals?

Edited by thomsurf (01/13/13 04:10 AM)

#2013791 - 01/13/13 05:54 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I'm assuming that the Krome doesn't allow audio tracks to be recorded into the sequencer like the Kronos does?

#2013817 - 01/13/13 08:22 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: ando]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hello ando, correct, but it can integrate with a PC to serve as a DAW.
If you are looking for something like that, the Roland Juno Gi has a built 8 track digital recorder that you can master on etc..
I have had mine for 2 years and have been able to do finished recordings/masters on it.
However, I will say I prefer Krome/Kronos sounds
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2013843 - 01/13/13 09:44 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: thomsurf]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: thomsurf
Would you say that the overall decay of the main piano sounds are on par with Roland's Supernaturals?

They're different. I think Krome decays are quicker, and so slightly less realistic in this respect. Presumably, this is to eke out memory resources. However, they do sound pretty natural - just not quite supernatural! wink

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2013953 - 01/13/13 02:53 PM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
Nomadness Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
Thanks for your comments on the Krome, Vox. That prompted me to go off and watch the long demos again (the Japanese and British ones) and it looks like the overall functionality hits the sweet spot for my boat piano. It's bigger than I wanted, so some surgery is in order, but I think I can shoehorn it in.

The audio environment aboard is a Fusion IP-700 marine stereo with multiple zones and a local sub, as well as a Crown XLS1000 (overkill, but what the heck). Can't use normal powered monitors, which is a shame as I have two pair of KRK Rokits on my old Roland, so I'm still trying to choose space-constrained box speakers for the near field above the studio console. There's an Edirol M-16DX mixer in the space, as well as a Tascam porta-studio, dedicated iMac for Logic and SW pianos, looper, and voice effects processor.

Given the recent introduction of the Krome, do you think there is any reason to wait for NAMM, whether for an alternative, an upgrade, or pricing dips in response to other new products? You know, GAS... me want. Now.

Gizmological cheers,
Steve

Edited by Nomadness (01/13/13 03:02 PM)

#2014033 - 01/13/13 06:25 PM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: Nomadness]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nomadness
Given the recent introduction of the Krome, do you think there is any reason to wait for NAMM, whether for an alternative, an upgrade, or pricing dips in response to other new products?

It's only two weeks to wait! wink

Apart from its bulk and workstation pretensions - neither of which I need - the Krome seems to be the only thing on the horizon for the time being that offers top-quality pianos in a lightweight form. I've heard of nothing in the pipeline that is likely to better it. The SV-2 is vaporware. The Physis is vaporware (and heavier). Yamaha might produce a surprise, but I'm not holding my breath. Roland might have something up its sleeve, who knows, but it's probably going to be repackaged SN if it's anything. I don't see anything other than the new VPC controller for Kawai, and Nord's already shot its bolt with the Electro 4.

Edit: there is possibly going to be a new stage piano from Studiologic, but they'd have to convince me that they've sorted out their software and support issues.

Edited by voxpops (01/13/13 06:33 PM)

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2014060 - 01/13/13 07:26 PM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
Nomadness Offline

Loc: Friday Harbor, WA
Excellent crystal ballage... thanks! (And yah, I can probably wait two more weeks; it's not like I have a shortage of projects. *sigh*

The workstation part appeals to me and I like the UI, though there is certainly some redundancy when it's parked next to a computer. Still, stand-alone functionality appeals...

The bulk is a huge issue for me, however (someone called it a battleship, which sorta fits). If I pull the trigger on this one, it will be with the expectation that it will be repackaged to fit the space... I don't want to hijack this thread, but it's really tight and the planned drawer-mount would not work with a stock Krome. I might rack-mount the whole panel and put the keyboard/joystick in a tidy little box. I'm sure that would not affect the warranty. crazy

Maybe I can play one first in Seattle when I go down for the boat show, which is about the same time as NAMM...

Edit: Mmmm, been doing some more research... I dunno about Krome. Think I will wait that 2 weeks to see what's a-comin'.

Edit 2: Speaking of support issues... yes, I've heard that a lot about Studiologic, but I'm also hearing it about Korg. Cryptic one-liner or no response at all to tech support questions, according to various forum posts. Have you had any reason to test this yet? I like the culture of the company and the design of the board, and the touchscreen UI is vastly more appealing to me than a tiny display with deep menus.

Edit 3: Is the Krome not MIDI class-compliant? I see they offer drivers... kind of annoying if so. My RD-700SX requires a driver on the Mac, and is totally ignored by the iPad. In the Krome manual: "Before you connect the KROME to your computer via USB, you must install the KORG USBā€MIDI driver on your computer."

Thanks for the thoughts!
Steve

Edited by Nomadness (01/14/13 01:11 AM)

#2017030 - 01/19/13 01:16 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just completed my first gig with the Krome. Generally, I am very pleased with it. I need to work on the APs a little, as they can seem a little strident, but overall it sounded pretty good, and I had no problem with the action, which responded well. However, I was aware of the potential for sweaty fingers slipping on the key surface.

The only other slight negative was in patch selection. I discovered that with a second board above the Krome, the whole of the panel to the right of the screen disappeared into blackness. I couldn't see the buttons themselves, or their designations. I wish manufacturers would think about the practicalities involved with the use of their boards.

Generally I think the Krome is an excellent board at a good price, but for gigging I would prefer those piano sounds in the form of an SV-2. Maybe next week will bring some good news...

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2017143 - 01/19/13 09:16 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: voxpops
Krome, the whole of the panel to the right of the screen disappeared into blackness. I couldn't see the buttons themselves, or their designations. I wish manufacturers would think about the practicalities involved with the use of their boards.

This is a chronic problem with Korg. The M50 was likewise covered with black-on-black buttons. At one point, the M50 was available in alternate colors which were much better, but they only did that on the 61. The Kronos is pretty bad this way too.

Korg isn't alone though... Casio PX3 is bad (and older Privias in the x00 and x10 series were fine). The Yamaha XF is pretty bad (the MOX is much better).

#2017172 - 01/19/13 10:31 AM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
The xf is bad agreed .....

#2017401 - 01/19/13 04:51 PM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

A word of caution for those of you who like to keep their gear looking nice. Simply by having a small clip-on plastic light attached to a card file resting on the metal/plastic surface of the Krome's fascia, I managed to scratch both the metal and plastic. The black paint rubs off the aluminum very easily.

Also, I found the Krome's mammoth dimensions awkward to deal with in a packed club. The reggae band that followed us had an SV1 and an Electro 3 - noticeably easier to deal with.

Neither of these points take anything away from the Krome's worth as an instrument, but they are things to be aware of when contemplating a purchase.

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2017994 - 01/20/13 07:07 PM Re: Korg Krome 88 [Re: voxpops]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

On my Juno Gi, I took the user bank and put my top 7-8 variations consecutively to have quick access.
I was in NYC yesterday and tried out a variety of different pre-NAMM options/items including consoles/heavyweight stage/slabs and found the Krome 88 to be high up on my list.

I still though might get the 61 and instead put the difference toward something comprable to a P155 it is introduced.

I also tried the F120 and was pleased with the power.
I do realize Tim Praskins did not recommend it in his blog, but it had some of the things that were important to me
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
165 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, A Guy, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1840 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156138 Topics
2292851 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action parts any different from 80s,90s, 2k Charles Walter?
by Gatsbee13
4 minutes 19 seconds ago
Question about finger reach!
by Plopsy
17 minutes 20 seconds ago
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
34 minutes 22 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
53 minutes 50 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
Today at 03:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission