2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 256 of 452 1 2 254 255 256 257 258 451 452
F
F
Originally Posted by KeysAngler

Yes, the Piano Noob Alex Man videos are a very good resource!

Originally Posted by scorpio
In any case, here's my first upload, "Jingle Bells", page 30 (in my book).

Nice played and good recording imo (just a little bit low level). Your tempo is faster than my recording:
http://www.box.net/shared/fyb14513f00zusrha817

I am happy to see a again a recording here!

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi fliper. Thank you for the comments. As I was preparing for my self-taught lessons I listened to your recordings that I found reading through this thread. So thank you for uploading those songs.

Yes I had a volume issue with "Jingle Bells" that I believe I figured out. I will start uploading the songs I have been working on in the next couple days. I am up to the magical page 54. So I have started working on some supplemental pieces.

I find that uploading songs and sharing your work is great for several reasons. 1) I was a bit tense/nervous as I recorded "Jingle Bells", in many ways I felt I was giving a performance. I am sure that helps prepare for playing in front of others. 2) Receiving feedback is immensely helpful. In many ways I practice in a bubble without a teacher. I need to know if it sounds right. 3) Sharing helps others too. They can hear what others are doing and help prepare them as they work on the songs. Bottom line is that I wish more would share as they moved along the AIO series.

Anyways, back to the keyboard. Today is a review day for me; nothing new, just tightening up some loose screws.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
B
B
Hi, have just started this book and was wondering if there is anywhere to get midi file for the various pieces in the book. I bought the book without the CD and am now regretting this as it would be very handy to have these to compare.

F
F
... 2) Receiving feedback is immensely helpful. In many ways I practice in a bubble without a teacher. I need to know if it sounds right. 3) Sharing helps others too. They can hear what others are doing and help prepare them as they work on the songs

Remember that I am a student like you, not a model to follow.

Here is a part of this thread regarding this
"Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 - 09/23/08 10:11
Posted by: marrzipan

My piano teacher neighbour came over again a few times and I noticed again what a difference it makes when someone with expertise plays a piece as compared to a beginner like me. I mean, a lot of the nuances and technique tricks you just can't figure out by yourself reading a book. You have to see someone demonstrate it right before you. Again, an eye-opening experience. A lot of the songs in Alfred appear simplistic and sometimes even boring. But with the right technique and musical expression (gained from consistent learning), they can really come to life. I'm not sure if others had similar experiences. My piano teacher (she is not actually teaching me on a regular basis, but provides me with ideas and tips & tricks every now and then) also asks me occasionally to go over and watch how her students are doing during her classes. And it's quite motivating seeing those little kids playing pieces that for now are beyond me."

Originally Posted by hesmywatermelon
... I have JUST started to teach myself piano and am working through Alfred...

Welcome to this thread. Here is a thread with more music sources
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/30/main/118327/type/thread.html

A thread about self-teaching
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1978749/1.html

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to our new joiners!

I'm back up to the Saints coming Marching In.. I'm finding it way simpler this time around. I've also got into the habit of counting everything right off the bat and I think that's helping me to improve.

Not much to report. I'm still slogging along. smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brennain1
Hi, have just started this book and was wondering if there is anywhere to get midi file for the various pieces in the book. I bought the book without the CD and am now regretting this as it would be very handy to have these to compare.

Hello and welcome! You can find all the songs on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL49D9E0B0D3A35FF4

N
N
What a great thread! I just came across it by chance yesterday and initially thought of reading all the posts from page one of 2007. LOL I soon gave up trying to read it all and decided just to jump right in.

I started on my own with the series of books "The Complete Keyboard Player" by Ken Baker. They are a nice series but they only give a melody line for the right hand and a chord symbol for the left hand. I had been thinking of learning to do more with the left hand and ended up acquiring the books "Hal Leonard Student Piano Library - Adult Piano Method" and "The Complete Piano Player" by Ken Baker.

I started lessons in October past and the book I am using with my teacher is the "Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" and she also recommended the music theory book "Elementary Music Rudiments" by Mark Sarnecki. In reading some of the posts many indicated they supplement their playing with music from other sources so I guess the piano methods I had already bought would still be useful.

It's nice to hear that most seem to have similar stumbling blocks like Blow the Man Down. I am doing this song plus Lone Star Waltz, Cafe Vienna and Lullaby for the second week. It's comforting to read that book 2 may go a little easier as it has been slow going the last while in book 1 - getting the fundamentals down I guess.

Last edited by NoteBender; 01/09/13 09:24 AM.

Monty -- KORG Pa600
F
F
Welcome to this thread NoteBender. You have done an hard work reading all these posts!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am currently working on a few issues that I have run into:

1) The pedal! Trying to get the timing right, as well as getting it to sound right.

2) Playing chords with a sharp or flat. I notice that sometimes the keys are not "hitting" the strings at the same time. I have really reviewed my hand position. But the sharps and flats seem to go down sooner than the others.

I have been practicing in short sessions which seems to really be effective. I play for maybe 30 minutes, take a break another, practice another 30 minutes then take a break. The break seems to help the brain and fingers catch up to each other.

I will be uploading more of my attempts soon.

[Linked Image]
A
A
Hi, Ron! You are correct to move your hand forward on the keys in order to avoid awkward wrist-twisting. It's OK to play the white keys up and between the black keys when necessary. My students all have trouble with this idea at first, but once they try moving the hand forward, into the black key territory, they see how easy it is to play intervals and chords that way. Keep the music playing! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Three new songs uploaded:

Jingle Bells (page 30) - with improved audio, slower tempo
Mary Ann (page 37)
What Can I Share? (page 42)

https://www.box.com/s/gmvxgjii03gerkvpa5x1

[Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by ron88
Hello everyone. I'm on book 1 of Alfred's Basic book. I have a question about the song Little Brown Jug and wondering if someone can help. smile

In the forth measure, it goes Bb-E, Bb-E, Bb-D, and back to Bb-E. I use my thumb on the Bb and finger 4 on E, and finger 3 on D. What I find myself doing is playing the E or D by making contact with my finger to the key up where the black keys are. So I'm actually pressing the keys in between or next to the black key.

I do the same thing as you, play between black keys, and try to play the white keys so close of black keys as possible.
See the nice video in this thread:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...20on%20Proper%20Hand%20.html#Post1898043

I am currently working on a few issues that I have run into:
I have been practicing in short sessions which seems to really be effective. I play for maybe 30 minutes, take a break another, practice another 30 minutes then take a break. The break seems to help the brain and fingers catch up to each other.

When things are not working I always do a short break. I also noticed that leaving a day without play the piece sometimes help too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A couple more uploads:

When the Saints Go Marching In
(played with RH Melody and LH Melody)
https://www.box.com/s/w6dlkpamoraade5cndle

Money Can't Buy Ev'rything
https://www.box.com/s/62zstpc24rr8d08qstfc

Last edited by scorpio; 01/11/13 03:19 PM.

[Linked Image]
N
N
Nice job Scorpio!

Monty -- KORG Pa600
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@NoteBender, thank you! Recording and sharing has been a great learning tool for me. I encourage others to do the same, especially if you are working without a teacher.

I have started work in some of Alfred's Supplement books (Greatest Hits and All-Time Favorites). I will be posting in the supplement thread too when I record some of those songs.

I am up to page 59 in AIO1. I am really trying to pay attention to rhythm. I have been using the metronome to start off, but more importantly I have been working on feeling the flow of the song.

Today's upload is The Cuckoo
https://www.box.com/s/0ya2vejvd4ykuk2u6nab

Please feel free to provide constructive critique. I am looking to improve piano play, and not to boost my ego. Thank you all for listening!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This one had me seeing RED!

Beautiful Brown Eyes
https://www.box.com/s/58uxv5o7cw13ehylips9

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
thumb
Very nice on both of them scorpio. On Brown Eyes I would only suggest with the right, just let the key up enough to stop the sound before repeat notes. It will smooth out some I think. Good job.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Ragdoll! I went back and practiced the finger movement and noticed a difference. In general I don't lift my fingers high off the keys, buy I can see how being a tad more delicate (not sure that is the correct word) evens out the sound. I appreciate the comments.

[Linked Image]
F
F
... I am really trying to pay attention to rhythm. I have been using the metronome to start off, but more importantly I have been working on feeling the flow of the song.

See page 154 of this thread. Johnny D posted the beats per minute (quarter notes per minute) of some Alfred pieces.

Regarding your "Mary Ann" recording, I think it is not very smooth, may be need a little more practice.

What Can I Share?, When the Saints Go Marching, Money Can't Buy Ev'rything seem ok to me. I just listen, without looking to the book. I like the piece "Money Can't Buy Ev'rything", it is funny.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi fliper, Thank you!

After listening to Mary Ann, I see what you mean. There are a few issues I have with it. First, the tempo is a bit slower than it should be, and second, the right hand is rather heavy (I believe it is suppose to be played piano).

I did print out the BPM from Johnny D (which I discovered after Mary Ann).

I do feel, when I listen back to some of the songs I uploaded, they sound a tad robotic. I need to work on my fluidity and expression. However, I do realize that when I record I tense up; and I have caught myself holding my breath. And clearly that is expressed in these little pieces. Something I have noted in my journal and am working on each day. I appreciate the comments.

[Linked Image]
Page 256 of 452 1 2 254 255 256 257 258 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission