Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2011471 - 01/08/13 10:30 PM Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano
jjc12345 Offline

Hi all

I'm looking for piano repertoire that span as wide a range as possible across the piano. For example Chopin's Etude Op 25 no 11 or op 10 no 1.

However, those pieces are really hard for me and I'm looking for repertoire that is at an intermediate level. And also as the pieces I mentioned are all pretty fast with a whole lot of running notes, I am also looking for ones that are slower and more lyrical instead.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2011697 - 01/09/13 12:59 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Beethoven - "Tempest" Sonata slow movement, Op. 31 No. 2. Not so much because it goes outrageously far to the top or bottom, but because it emphasizes its extremes in such a way that it feels much farther.

Rachmaninoff - C# minor Prelude. Uses a lot of the keyboard and especially the low registers.

Debussy - Prelude No. 4, Les parfums et les sons tournent dans l'air du soir.

#2011714 - 01/09/13 01:50 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

One that comes to mind for me is Edvard Grieg's "Peasant's March" from his Op 54 Lyric Pieces (I believe No 2 in that set).
It rather specifically covers the entire range of the keyboard, and is IMO not overly difficult. Also, you might give the Brahms Intermezzi Op 117 a try -- particularly NO 2. I consider those to be early advanced rather than intermediate, but they're all beautiful.

#2011719 - 01/09/13 02:02 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Jean Françaix wrote a Scherzo which uses A1 to A85. It is not too difficult.

#2011766 - 01/09/13 03:38 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Unless I'm missing something, I see that the "Norwegian March" Op 54, No 2, goes down only to G in the bass and C in the treble, leaving almost an octave in the left and a full octave in the right untouched. The "Notturno" from the same set (Op 54, No 4) has a wider range: low C to uppermost E.

While the Brahms, Op 117, No 2, goes down to a low B-flat, the uppermost note (last chord) is only a B-flat, leaving a whole octave untouched.

In both cases, the lowest/highest notes are touched only once.

I would have to say that one might be hard pressed to find repertoire within the technical grasp of the OP that really fulfills his requirements. Of course, "a wide a range as possible" might be the limiting factor that makes all suggestions appropriate.

Regards,

#2011786 - 01/09/13 04:17 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I'm very curious...

From a composition point of view such a restrain might be interesting to work with, but as a performer I really can't see a reason to find such a work.

Would the OP be willing to explain the 'why', please? As I said... I'm just curious...

#2011815 - 01/09/13 05:05 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I frequently use the opening cadenza of Grieg's Piano Concerto to assess the tone across the whole keyboard of a piano, if I have only a few seconds to do so. The cadenza uses the lowest note and just misses out the top three notes, in just 5 measures - and you can extend the upward flourish by an octave to take in the highest note too, if desired grin. But it's fast and not exactly easy...

For a self-contained piece, there's Carl Vine's The Anne Landa Preludes No.8: Sweetsour, which uses both the bottom A and the top C, and isn't difficult, because it's slow.

#2011835 - 01/09/13 05:53 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
jjc12345 Offline

Thanks for all the suggestions. In response to Nikolas, I'm looking for pieces to play that will give me an idea of the sound of the piano across the entire range if I play different pianos for the first time, like bennevis' suggestion to use the start of Grieg's concerto.

#2011841 - 01/09/13 06:05 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Evangelion - Both of you dance like you want to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRLwFkp5V6M (the 60 second version)

The full orchestral version is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPH6nDJmqxI

Uses every white key except for A0 B0 C1 + A7 B7 and C8.

I can play about 32 seconds of it

Its on Sperions website the sheets

#2011844 - 01/09/13 06:11 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
The D-major recapitulation of the main theme in Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto. Goes down to the bottom D, and up to the top C. Plus, you can play it a little slower, since you're not playing it with the orchestra, and the harmonies are so rich you'll get a real idea of the sound the piano can make. You can also really overdo the swell in the dynamics to get a true appreciation of the piano's dynamic range.

(Yes, the concerto is not even close to "intermediate" level, but I feel these two pages can be played by someone mentioning Chopin's etudes. Start after the mini-cadenza, and end before the octave runs.)

#2011900 - 01/09/13 08:33 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
martijefre Offline

I'm looking for pieces to play that will give me an idea of the sound of the piano across the entire range if I play different pianos for the first time

#2011914 - 01/09/13 08:57 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I use chromatic scales.

#2011928 - 01/09/13 09:22 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: martijefre]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: martijefre
I'm looking for pieces to play that will give me an idea of the sound of the piano across the entire range if I play different pianos for the first time

Other than the opening of the Grieg concerto, when checking out pianos for their tonal quality, I also play the opening piano solo (starting with a cadenza) - three pages long, lasting around two minutes - of the third movement of the Yellow River Concerto. It extends from the low B flat to the top B flat, and you can tack on your own conclusion so that it doesn't sound like the orchestra needs to follow where you stopped.....

#2012149 - 01/10/13 08:54 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Talking of Grieg
there's always "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen"
and that tricky syncopated bit from m32 and rising to M42 and then cadenzing over 6 octaves by m45.

But then you wanted something easy to play.

#2012159 - 01/10/13 09:18 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You can play the Rachmaninoff Prelude in g minor, there is a section with octaves that start up as high as A6 (or you can start with the preceding chords and go up to A#6) and goes down to G1. You can play this as slow as you like.

Perhaps a Chopin Nocturne would be good, like the e minor? That one in m. 37 goes from F#1 to B7.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2012413 - 01/10/13 06:41 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Czerny made an effort or 2000plus...

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Rachmaninoff etudes tableaux op.39

#2012444 - 01/10/13 07:46 PM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: martijefre]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: martijefre
If you are trying out pianos, there is no reason why you need one piece to test the different ranges and the extremes of the piano. It makes more sense to learn a couple of pieces that you like, are appropriate to your piano study, or for any of countless reasons other than the one piece happens to use notes in every range.

And if your are trying pianos there's no reason to play an entire piece. Just choose a few measures from different pieces to hear how every section of the piano sounds.

#2012553 - 01/11/13 12:24 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
12345 sounds like a newcomer ...
the spare 11 count would indicate a freshness at the Forum.

Also, the request for a slow piece of music covering a wide range of keyboard, might suggest hoping to get a handle on the distant ends of the piano.

However, it might be wise to start where we all did ... with the Bach Prelude I (BkI) and then drift into the Mozart Fantasia.

Who knows what next ... perhaps the redoubtable Moonlight Sonata... well, the first two movements at least ... the last
romps over the full reach of the keyboard, but at lightning speed.

#2012554 - 01/11/13 12:25 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
"They" (whoever they are) say Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit uses every key on the piano. I'm not sure if that's true but it definitely uses most of them, and many in the outer reaches of keys.

#2012562 - 01/11/13 12:41 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: didyougethathing]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Originally Posted By: didyougethathing
"They" (whoever they are) say Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit uses every key on the piano. I'm not sure if that's true but it definitely uses most of them, and many in the outer reaches of keys.

This raises a related and interesting (to me) question.

Is there indeed a piece in the standard repertoire that uses all 88 keys? Let's make it harder and say that glissandos don't count.

-J

#2012567 - 01/11/13 01:04 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: beet31425]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: beet31425
Originally Posted By: didyougethathing

This raises a related and interesting (to me) question.

Is there indeed a piece in the standard repertoire that uses all 88 keys? Let's make it harder and say that glissandos don't count.

-J

I've always wondered this myself. Not counting glissandos definitely adds a twist, I think I'll actually look through pieces and try to figure it out. I'm going to start with Gaspard when I have some free time. Does it count as one piece? I think it should! (I'm almost positive it doesn't use the last C though frown )

Edited by didyougethathing (01/11/13 01:05 AM)

#2012666 - 01/11/13 09:17 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
When assessing the tonal structure of an unfamiliar instrument, I tend to fall back on Debussy La cathédrale engloutie. It certainly covers the range of the piano and at a speed where you can actually hear the tonal interaction of the extended range of the instrument.

Also, it is just plain hauntingly gorgeous.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2012674 - 01/11/13 09:26 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: jjc12345]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Speaking of glissandos - Do you use your thumbnail or the nail of your middle finger when playing a chromatic glissando?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2012689 - 01/11/13 09:51 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: Minnesota Marty]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Speaking of glissandos - Do you use your thumbnail or the nail of your middle finger when playing a chromatic glissando?

I don't know that you can play chromatic glissandi with one hand. You'd need both, and it's probably impossible to synchronize properly.

As for normal white-key glissandi, have a look at this lady's left middle finger soon after she played the glissando at the end of her first piano solo: http://youtu.be/KJTUUKAdZDU ......

#2012730 - 01/11/13 11:19 AM Re: Piano repertoire that covers a wide range on the piano [Re: Minnesota Marty]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
When assessing the tonal structure of an unfamiliar instrument, I tend to fall back on Debussy La cathédrale engloutie. It certainly covers the range of the piano and at a speed where you can actually hear the tonal interaction of the extended range of the instrument.

Also, it is just plain hauntingly gorgeous.

Great suggestion.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
09/22/14 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
09/22/14 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
09/22/14 06:06 PM
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
09/22/14 05:39 PM
52" Samick
by PaulBuck
09/22/14 04:56 PM
Who's Online
126 registered (accordeur, 36251, ando, AEMontoya, 42 invisible), 1274 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157697 Topics
2316335 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission