Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#2012534 - 01/10/13 11:39 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
I still dont understand why the 2:1 is not considered as an octave wink

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2012616 - 01/11/13 05:09 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: DoelKees]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: DoelKees
Originally Posted By: Withindale
The derivation is a couple of pages of high school algebra which I could post if someone really wants to see it.

Kees

I'd be interested, the back of my envelope soon ran out on this one. PM if you prefer.

OK, I put it in a pdf.

Thank you, Kees, very clear. I'll have a proper look at it later.

#2012635 - 01/11/13 07:27 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: DoelKees]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Originally Posted By: Mark Davis
Thanks Jeff! Food for thought!

How much of a difference is there between a 4:1 D8ve and a pure 12th?

Hah! It depends on the width of the implied 4th! When you carefully consider what the tests are for the P12, the P15 and the implied P4 you should realize that if the P4 is pure, the P12 and the P15 can also be pure. The algebraic difference of the beatrates of the P12 and the P15 equal the beatrate of the implied P4. This is only true when the common note is on top.

Let me add this. One more little known things about the effects of iH on beatrates is that the beatrate of P4 does not double each octave. It can take a couple of octaves to double. So the beat difference between P12s and P15s does not increase much toward the treble.

And if one is tuning a pure 12th tuning in the treble and high treble, does this not increase the stretch more than say, a just 4:1 octave throughout the treble and high treble? or does this vary from piano to piano?

Kees explained it well:

Unrelated to my writeup, note that the default tuning curve in Tunelab has pure 6:3 octaves in the bass, and pure 4:1 double octaves in the treble, with a smooth transition in-between. In particular the 4:2 always becomes narrow in the higher octaves (around C6). A pure 12th tuning results in narrow 4:2 and wide 4:1.

Kees

What do your octaves and double octaves sound like when tuning this way?

As you go up the treble, a beat can be detected, but is not obvious unless the temperment is not strictly equal. It can be looked at as a side benefit. Since you are closer to the edge of acceptable stretch, a note that is a little off an octave below the P12 that is being tuned will not sound right when listening to the octave.

I used to tune the treble without as much stretch and have smoother sounding octaves and 15ths, but the top octaves just didn't sound like they were at the right pitch when music that uses a great deal of the keyboard is played. I tried stretching by tuning wide octaves but my results were sometimes, ahem, "haphazard." Again, no complaints from customers, but I did not like the inconsistencies. So like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, pure octaves was not enough, stretched octaves was too much, but pure 12ths was just right.

#2012661 - 01/11/13 09:00 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Mark Davis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for explaining Jeff

#2012783 - 01/11/13 12:56 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

@Jeff : " It depends on the width of the implied 4th! When you carefully consider what the tests are for the P12, the P15 and the implied P4 you should realize that if the P4 is pure, the P12 and the P15 can also be pure. The algebraic difference of the beatrates of the P12 and the P15 equal the beatrate of the implied P4. "

something wrong in your reasoning, to me, or works only in absence of iH,

Seem to me that the definition of "pure" is what bothers me.
a 4:2 octave to me, imply yet some stretch (as a 2:1 in the end) . Cordier (pure 5th tuning ) agreed in the end that the good term is "acoustically pure" as this is a slightly different concept, implying more than the simple 3:1 4:1 or 2:1 relation.

Edited by Kamin (01/11/13 01:05 PM)

#2012844 - 01/11/13 02:10 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Isaac:

There are probably others scratching their heads on this one, too. It is a relationship that Mark C. works with.

Consider these three notes: A3, D4 and A5. There are three intervals possible: the A3-D4 P4, the D4-A5 P12 and the A3-A5 P15.

Consider a normal situation where A3-D4 P4 is 1bps wide. This means the fourth partial of A3 is at 880hz and the third partial of D4 is at 881hz. (These are approximate non-iH theoretical pitches but it does not matter. 1 bps wide is 1 bps wide regardless of the actual hz involved.) When A5 is tuned, if it is at 880hz the result is a pure P15 and a narrow P12, if it is at 881hz the result is a wide P15 and a pure P12, and if it is at 880.5hz the result is a wide P15 and a narrow P12 that beat at the same speed. Regardless of where A5 is tuned, the algebraic difference of the beatrates (+ for wide, - for narrow) will equal the beatrate of the implied P4. They could even both be wide or narrow: If A5 = 886hz then (+6bps) – (+ 5bps) = + 1bps.

Now consider an abnormal situation where A3-D4 P4 is pure. Both the fourth partial of A3 and the third partial of D4 are at 880hz. If A5 is tuned to 880hz, both the P12 and the P15 will be pure.

Using F3 as the standard test note for these intervals may make it easier to understand… or not!

This is why I say that difference between the P12 and P15 depends on the implied P4.

#2012884 - 01/11/13 02:56 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Yes
I agree if this is based on a non stretched scale, of course.

But not likely to happen.

The advantage we have when tuning is that the high iH slow the beats of 4ths . that is what allows the octave to be enlarged without 4th being too noisy.

So "acoustically" a stretched 4th may sound pure, if you see what I mean, and a tempered 5th or 12th as well

When tuning , I consider all intervals as simple additions or substractions, so I may be reasoning on a no IH based logic, I agree, but this is based to what is perceived, for instance, beats are evaluated without locating them at a particular level, as if I was using pure frequencies.

Edited by Kamin (01/11/13 03:01 PM)

#2012899 - 01/11/13 03:14 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Jeff, if you stick to pure 12th you are providing a fundation for the high treble, the tuning is in fact straight and sound just in the two modes, arpeggios and octaves.

Just for fun try to locate the exact pitch of the notes in the 5-6th octave region just based on the resonant spot obtained from the 12th, and the double.

May be you will notice that your note have a raise in color at some point.

When tested you possibly will find an equilibrium between the 15th and the double octave (same beat speed)

I will not promise it works anytime but it works.

I am advantaged with so called "perfect pitch" that allow me to place the note more or less well once I have heard the others (and also with the slow motion technique, hence the habit to master progressive slow pitch changes at a a slow speed)

the minor chord inversion (M3+4th) played with the double octave is supposed to stay quiet enough, active but not noisy nor acid.

May be the resonant spot lower the perception of the speed of the M3 and the 6th played together...

When the tuning is good, that chord is showing the wanted pitch of the double octave as a laser light .

I also like the fact that the tuning is lively.

#2014172 - 01/14/13 12:48 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Gentlemen,

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Are we all on the same page? Are we all speaking of tuning from completed unisons or are some speaking of tuning a piano that has a temperament strip in tha whole piano, thus tuning and refering to and from only single strings?

That makes a huge difference on the level this discussion is at.

I ask because there seems to be some crossed wires here.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2014234 - 01/14/13 04:59 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I understand that this is not really clear, as we use differnt methods to get to the final result.

For some the final result imply an acoustically just 12th, for others a tempered one.

I believe we talk of the final result in any case. to obtain it I have to tune "enlarged" as I use a strip mute up to c6 and there is enough lowering when tuning the unison to take it in account.

When I was tuning unison as I go the same process did apply all new notes where tuned a little high, that is why I am not considering I am doing something "new" doing so.

Edited by Kamin (01/14/13 05:01 AM)

#2014264 - 01/14/13 07:18 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

All:

Let me try to make something clear. If a 12th is tuned pure, the 15th will beat the same speed as the implied 4th. And when a 15th is tuned pure the 12th will beat the same speed as the implied 4th. Of course this only pertains to when the common note is on top. It cannot be any other way. Inharmonicity and temperment strips have nothing to do with it.

#2014373 - 01/14/13 11:29 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hi I try to understand (it may be quite simple)

The partials involved in the 4th and the double octave are not the same if you talk of a 4th from the upper note)

When balancing 15th and 12th, the 12th is small and the double is large, if I enlarge the 12th, the double is even larger (top note not changing).

Then that larger 15 and tempered 12th provide some limits, the other intervals having the same partial ringing are nicely finding their place within. (M3, M6, 17th...)

Edited by Kamin (01/14/13 11:30 AM)

#2014377 - 01/14/13 11:36 AM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Isaac:

I maen when the common note of the 12th and 15th are the top note. Like A3-A5 15th and D4-A5 12th with the "implied" 4th being A3-D4.

Did you read my last post???

#2014399 - 01/14/13 12:11 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Sorry, well, in that case I suppose it is true ! the 4th being complementary of the twelve at the double octave level.

What I dont get is the influence of the other partials (not the main one) on the final beat speed perceived.

Edited by Kamin (01/14/13 12:28 PM)

#2014490 - 01/14/13 02:42 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Olek]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kamin
Sorry, well, in that case I suppose it is true ! the 4th being complementary of the twelve at the double octave level.

What I dont get is the influence of the other partials (not the main one) on the final beat speed perceived.

The saying we use around here is "It all depends on how you hold your tongue."

http://www.allposters.co.uk/-sp/Young-Bo...s_i3834794_.htm

#2014522 - 01/14/13 04:06 PM Re: Clean Sounding/Beatless Octaves [Re: Mark Davis]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I just bit mine!!!! It hoiets!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Abby Pianoman, 31 invisible), 1554 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156295 Topics
2295396 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-Andr Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
Yesterday at 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Yesterday at 06:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission