Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
141 registered (36251, accordeur, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1657 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1998119 - 12/12/12 12:02 AM Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
Click below to view:
http://youtu.be/L7F9Um3UnQo

Yamaha
C1x, C2x, C3x, C5x, C6x, C7x

Enjoy,

Jeff Tasch

Grand Piano Haus
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1998171 - 12/12/12 02:49 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Maxtor Offline

Bronze Supporter until Jan 01 2013

To quote the video at 1 minute 54 seconds:
"what we have here is the same design as the CF series..."
Oh brilliant.

Also, the model naming of "C1X" makes it less comprehensible than, perhaps, a name like "CX1".

So, just from Yamaha's website, their current model lines for grand pianos are:
CF (including DCFX, and such inconsistent names as CF4, CF6, CFIII, and CFX (two with arabic numerals and two with roman numerals, really??))
C series (C1 through C2, thankfully with these simple and consistent names)
S series (S4BB and S6BB).
G series (including the following lines: GA, GB, GC, and GH)
CX series (which is actually C1X through C7X).

And that is just within the Yamaha brand. I will not start with the Bosendorfer and Cable-Nelson which are included on Yamaha's website

So are these CX's actually just the C's version 2.0?

At least Kawai is a bit more clear, and it lists all its current models at the bottom of its website in one convenient place.

If I ever start a piano company, the pianos will have 4 sizes: compact, medium, large, and concert. Any employee who suggests "movie theater popcorn"-type naming of Large, XLarge, XXLarge, and MegaLarge will be immediately fired.

#1998239 - 12/12/12 08:45 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Grand Piano Haus
Click below to view:
http://youtu.be/L7F9Um3UnQo

Yamaha
C1x, C2x, C3x, C5x, C6x, C7x

Actually there are named C1X, C2X, C3X, C5X, C6X, C7X.

Listening to the sound on the demo, when he wasn't yammering, was interesting. A big feature of the CX series is the resonance and sustain, which wasn't effectively demonstrated with the selected repertoire.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1998247 - 12/12/12 09:17 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
that's one nice sounding 6' piano.

#1998334 - 12/12/12 12:14 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Jeff, why do I get the feeling this thread is advertising? Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

Rick

#1998337 - 12/12/12 12:19 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Rickster]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Jeff, why do I get the feeling this thread is advertising? Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

Rick

rick, IMHO the video is an ad but given the interest expressed here in the new yamaha line it's a quality recording that at least gives some inclination as to how the 6 footer sounds. i just wish the video contained examples of different pieces played on the differently sized pianos.

#1998341 - 12/12/12 12:25 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California

#1998346 - 12/12/12 12:33 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Nice video...if the mods are upset over any type of advertising maybe you should have a dealer forum area and let them go nuts. smile

#1998361 - 12/12/12 01:02 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Entheo]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Entheo
i just wish the video contained examples of different pieces played on the differently sized pianos.

A missed "opportunity" indeed. Too bad.

Loved the sound of the Mozart, however.

Edited by carey (12/12/12 01:03 PM)

#1998453 - 12/12/12 04:06 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Rickster]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Rickster

Rick

Yes, actually that was my thought, an advertising. Yes, my C3X sounds like that, though as Lawrence said, it does not demostrate the sustain and resonance of the C3X. The tone is essentially correct through this high quality video (@ >720p), though mine has a slightly darker and richer intonation. I think for someone who is interested in what a Yamaha C3X sounds like, this is still a useful thread, if the sales guy would only not talk so much.

#1998469 - 12/12/12 04:45 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Maxtor]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Maxtor
Oh brilliant.

Also, the model naming of "C1X" makes it less comprehensible than, perhaps, a name like "CX1".

Yes, the design is the same, but the quality is clearly not the same. The CF series is much better. Still, I think they managed to capture a lot of the benefit of the CF series. So much so that everyone I spoke with who has tried the hand-made S series and CX series side by side thinks the CX series is better. The build quality of the S series is still better but it doesn't sound better than the CX.

They don't name it CX1 because it is really a C-series. Previous ones were C1 M, and before that was C1 L. Now it's C1 X. My C3X plate says C3, with the serial number X 6300000. When all the CM series are sold, then the only C-series you can buy new is the CX.

This also makes the CM series a really great deal right now. I almost bought a C3M Silent for $2,000 less than my C3X. Yeah the C3X does sound that much better though, so it was a tough choice, since that silent feature could come in handy some times.

#1998470 - 12/12/12 04:45 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
I do not believe that anyone would need convincing that this is blatant advertising. It is produced by the Yamaha Corporation. The spoken text is almost entirely emotive, persuasive lsnguage. The advertising pitch here is to promote the "European" qualities of this range of pianos.

Kind regards,
Robert.

#1998494 - 12/12/12 05:26 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Yup, GandPiano Haus, you need to learn to do your advertising like Cunningham and slide it just below radar. There are ways.

#2010974 - 01/08/13 03:45 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Maxtor]
boyonahill Offline

Loc: Europe
Oh brilliant.

CF (including DCFX, and such inconsistent names as CF4, CF6, CFIII, and CFX (two with arabic numerals and two with roman numerals, really??))

And that is just within the Yamaha brand. I will not start with the Bosendorfer and Cable-Nelson which are included on Yamaha's website

At least Kawai is a bit more clear, and it lists all its current models at the bottom of its website in one convenient place.

If I ever start a piano company, the pianos will have 4 sizes: compact, medium, large, and concert. Any employee who suggests "movie theater popcorn"-type naming of Large, XLarge, XXLarge, and MegaLarge will be immediately fired.

Could anybody comment on the above post and tell us all what the Yamaha grand piano lines will be when all "old stock" is sold out?

#2011048 - 01/08/13 08:11 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
ChrisVenables Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hampshire, England
Originally Posted By: boyonahill
Oh brilliant.

Could anybody comment on the above post and tell us all what the Yamaha grand piano lines will be when all "old stock" is sold out?

Hi boyanahill

Here's a list of Yamaha's current grand models, excluding Silent and Disklavier, for the sake of brevity, grin

GB1K 5'
GC1M 5'3"
GC2M 5'8"
C1X 5'3"
C2X 5'8"
C3ST 6'1"(C3 Studio model, cheaper case, plastic sharps)
C3X 6'1"
C5X 6'7"
C6X 7'
C7X 7'6"
S4(BB but not shown as BB in new brochure)
S6 (BB but not shown as BB in new brochure)
CF4 6'3"
CF6 7'
CFX 9'

To indicate a change in scale design, components and/or cabinet style, (sometimes minor, sometimes major) Yamaha have been using a suffix on their Conservatory models for decades, using C3 as an example and in chronological order: C3B, C3D, C3E, C3F, C3L, C3 (no suffix and don't ask me why), C3M (up until end 2012) and now C3X. Unfortunately for all of us, Yamaha didn't always show the suffix on the iron frame alongside the model and serial number, so after the C3F there was no suffix on the frame until the introduction of the C3X.

Yamaha's new brochure shows the GB1K, C6X and CF6 an inch longer than previously - but they aren't longer, Yamaha have simply 'rounded up' the centimetres to the next inch.

Dealers may well have stock of the CM, CFIIIS and the limited edition CXA models for some time, but they're discontinued lines.

Now, who'd like to know about the upright lines? grin

Edited by ChrisVenables (01/08/13 12:06 PM)
Edit Reason: to include boyanahills' post

#2011095 - 01/08/13 09:44 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I am sensitive to the advertising issues raised here. However, when a major manufacturer comes out with a significant new line of instruments it is news. And while to format was promotional, I don't think it crosses the line.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2011109 - 01/08/13 10:30 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Don't mind getting a little news, even if it is in a commercial. Keeps me up to date.

#2011192 - 01/08/13 01:17 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: ChrisVenables]
boyonahill Offline

Thank you Chris! thumb

Let me add some list price in SEK

--------------------------
Here's a list of Yamaha's current (2013-01-08) grand models, excluding Silent and Disklavier, for the sake of brevity, grin

Prices in SEK, from www.yamaha.se (I don't know if the 25% VAT is included)

GB1K 5'
GC1M 5'3" 140 000 SEK (price for GC1)
GC2M 5'8" 154 000 SEK (price for GC2)
C1X 5'3" 174 000 SEK
C2X 5'8" 184 0000 SEK
C3ST 6'1"(C3 Studio model, cheaper case, plastic sharps)
C3X 6'1" 225 000SEK
C5X 6'7" 255 000SEK
C6X 7' 285 000SEK
C7X 7'6" 330 000SEK
S4(BB but not shown as BB in new brochure) N/A SEK
S6 (BB but not shown as BB in new brochure) N/A SEK
CF4 6'3" 799 000 SEK
CF6 7' 899 000 SEK
CFX 9' 1 450 000 SEK

To indicate a change in scale design, components and/or cabinet style, (sometimes minor, sometimes major) Yamaha have been using a suffix on their Conservatory models for decades, using C3 as an example and in chronological order: C3B, C3D, C3E, C3F, C3L, C3 (no suffix and don't ask me why), C3M (up until end 2012) and now C3X. Unfortunately for all of us, Yamaha didn't always show the suffix on the iron frame alongside the model and serial number, so after the C3F there was no suffix on the frame until the introduction of the C3X.

-------------------------------

One funny thought: Since house prices here haven't fallen in the SEK currency area, only risen, most boomers could buy one of the worlds best grand pianos, CFX, by increasing the mortage on their house. (The Swedish krona was the 9th most traded currency in the world by value in April 2010.) If this is a proof of how crazy house prices are here (still), or a proof of Yamaha having low prices, is up to you.

Interesting to see that the numbers on the Yamaha grand pianos are as decoupled from "reality" as BMW:s nameplates of late. Initially I thought "Cool, the CFX is ten feet!"!

#2011196 - 01/08/13 01:25 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

by my math the C7X translates to $50k USD, which seems quite a low retail price (piano buyer lists a new C7 here in the states at $65K MSRP)

#2011380 - 01/08/13 06:24 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

I admire Ms. Grigoryan's self-control for not telling that Yamaha guy to shut up while she's playing her heart out!

#2011419 - 01/08/13 08:17 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
buladscot Offline

Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

#2011485 - 01/08/13 11:27 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Entheo]
boyonahill Offline

by my math the C7X translates to $50k USD, which seems quite a low retail price (piano buyer lists a new C7 here in the states at $65K MSRP)

Google
330000 sek in usd
->
330000 Swedish Krona equals
50290.35 US Dollar

I now verified that I got the price right and it was. To tell you the truth I don't know what prices they have on the website. I assume it is not what the retailer pays Yamaha, so it must be prices for "consumers".

But since few private individuals buy grand pianos, the prices may be for corporations or organizations (schools, cities etc) and they don't pay VAT. So the prices might be excluding VAT. BUT the yamaha website is directed to consumers at large, so then it is not allowed to advertise prices without VAT, and especially not if you don't indicate that the VAT is not included.

And anyways, since the VAT is so low or non existing in the USA the prices should be comparable.

#2011487 - 01/08/13 11:31 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: buladscot]
boyonahill Offline

Originally Posted By: buladscot
Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.

Well, as long as there isn't a long sales pitch for a specific dealer or "deal to be had" I don't find it that disturbing.

For digital pianos the best youtube-demo-videos is usually those from big internet dealers. 1 minute sales, talk 15 minutes info, 1 minute sales talk. I can live with that if I get a good picture of the product. Compare that with for example yamahas 2 minute quick info video...

#2011722 - 01/09/13 02:04 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
KillerCharlie Offline

I find this informative. This is more news than advertisement - it's a huge update to one of the world's most popular piano lines. I played the C3X and found it nothing like the C3. I'm considering buying one.

Besides, if they really wanted to clean up annoying advertising, they'd ban Norbert from sending PMs. That man is prolific.

Edited by KillerCharlie (01/09/13 02:10 PM)

#2012059 - 01/10/13 03:25 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: KillerCharlie]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
I think the thread can be informative. But since there is also an advertising aspect, I'm going to share my (negative) thoughts on the advertismement part:

If the guy on the video would stop talking so much it would be easier to hear the piano.

I think the musical selection was a poor choice as it doesn't reveal what the sustained tone sounds like or if the piano can carry a singing line well. I'd rather hear a Chopin Nocturne - that reveals more about the piano IMHO.

Salesman guy says on the video, "Raise the musical standards even further"? Fine. Every piano builder seems to make claims like this. Personally, I didn't like the sound of the piano. But what can I really tell through a recording and my computer speakers? Maybe I'd love it in person.

About the information part: I'm glad to hear there is continued development on the Yamaha pianos - I've had many happy moments playing Yamaha pianos.

#2012123 - 01/10/13 08:00 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: musicpassion]
boyonahill Offline

Originally Posted By: musicpassion
I think the thread can be informative. But since there is also an advertising aspect, I'm going to share my (negative) thoughts on the advertismement part:

If the guy on the video would stop talking so much it would be easier to hear the piano.

I think the musical selection was a poor choice as it doesn't reveal what the sustained tone sounds like or if the piano can carry a singing line well. I'd rather hear a Chopin Nocturne - that reveals more about the piano IMHO.

Salesman guy says on the video, "Raise the musical standards even further"? Fine. Every piano builder seems to make claims like this. Personally, I didn't like the sound of the piano. But what can I really tell through a recording and my computer speakers? Maybe I'd love it in person.

About the information part: I'm glad to hear there is continued development on the Yamaha pianos - I've had many happy moments playing Yamaha pianos.

To be able to properly judge the tone and sound of a piano I think one needs far better apparatus for
a) recording
b) storage and encoding
c) playback
than is the case in 99.999% of all youtube video views. Regardsless of irritating voice-over or not.

#2012175 - 01/10/13 09:43 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
I think you are all overly critical.

It is a promotional video. It is not meant to entertain.

Good grief.

#2012480 - 01/10/13 09:01 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
. However, when a major manufacturer comes out with a significant new line of instruments it is news.

Wondering how much is "significantly new"

Significant upgrade in design and material like the Yamaha S-series would have to cost also "significantly higher cost".

The "German felt" thing is something I have never understood as it seems to be be widely used in the industry - why not simply use full "Renner" or "Abel" hammers?

Recently played two of the new C3X series but would need to try some more. Noted major improvements in bass and mid-range.

Very nice pianos with great power projection!

Norbert thumb

Edited by Norbert (01/12/13 02:12 AM)

#2012529 - 01/10/13 11:07 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

norbert you crack me up.

#2012591 - 01/11/13 02:48 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Entheo]
KillerCharlie Offline

norbert you crack me up.

He sent me a long, rambling PM telling me that Japanese pianos are terrible and I would regret buying one. It was pretty ridiculous, but it did crack me up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159381 Topics
2341205 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission