2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2012322 01/10/13 04:44 PM
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
As it's widely recognized here, I think we could benefit from main topic where to post opinions/questions/settings/ etc. about Vintage D.

My copy arrived today and I can feel it will be a good instrument once properly set up.

One thing for now - volume levels. If I turn it loud enough, it sort of distorts (as hardware I'm using Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 USB, midi connection). As the software itself allows to turn the volume knob, shouldn't it be OK even turned at max levels without distortion?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have that problem, too. It's quite possible (and easy) to overdrive and get distortion.

The levels are adjustable in multiple places.

1. Each instrument in Kontakt has its own level control.
2. The Kontakt console has a master level control (but it's hidden until you click the Output icon at the top of the window.)
3. Your Focusrite has a level control, I presume.
4. Your amplifier has a volume control.

If any one or more of these is set too high you can reach levels that distort ... either within that piece of equipment, or in the next equipment in the chain.

So roll back the levels to get proper results.

Whichever control you deem to be the one you use as your everyday volume control (which, for me, would be the amplifier's volume control) ... turn it up fairly high, and then bring down the levels in the other, upstream components to produce a very loud/maximum-desired, but undistorted output. Then roll back the chosen volume control to suit your needs.

Good info, Macmacmac. I have a similar problem with my audio interface, I think it's probably a screwed-up headphone amp. If Mac's advice doesn't help you might consider getting your Focusrite unit checked out.

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
But I find it strange why it distorts as it's really not the case of any music I play-back (I can turn the volume really really high without any sort of distortion when just play-back some music).

But the same thing was the case also when I recorded piano via line-in directly from keyboard. I really hope it's not the case that something is wrong via Focusrite, because check-up here is not available.

Update: For playability volume issues are resolved really by turning up volume on Focusrite interface. Not sure yet about recording specs, etc. , but will inspect that later.

Other impressions - it defo beats inbuilt roland fp7f piano sound and realistic acoustic piano sound CAN be achieved.
It's also more difficult to control (and that's a good thing) compared when playing with fp7f inbuilt sounds, because behaving more closer like an acoustic piano does. It's less "safe" in that regard, easier to make mistakes, but also opportunity for a great dynamic range and real sound.

Would be nice to also hear some of the other players best setting suggestions.

Last edited by EO3; 01/11/13 12:05 PM.
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Also one thing - velocity. How to keep balance with keyboards and Vintage D setting velocity levels to get the optimal balance. Any setting suggestions?

E
E
Originally Posted by EO3
Also one thing - velocity. How to keep balance with keyboards and Vintage D setting velocity levels to get the optimal balance. Any setting suggestions?

I have some question.
As I use Vintage with my NU1 and the keyboard action is quite different from native one when I use Vintage D
But no way to get the same feeling as the native one (that I prefer as I find it more "realistic")...I have tried several velocity tuning, but the it look like as the dynamic range is narrowed with Vintage D...strange

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
The Vintage D has a dynamic range adjustment on the main screen. Also, the apparent dynamic range can be influenced by the velocity curve. In my case, the piano cannot achieve velocities higher than about 108. So the Vintage D will never see input velocities from 109 to 127 ... unless I adjust the velocity curve to hit 127 out when the input is 108. Here's what I'm using now:
[Linked Image]

It's unfortunate that it's so difficult to set the velocity curve in Vintage D. It's much easier in Pianoteq.

E
E
Hello MacMacMac
I also played with these setting but got no really satisfying results
Did you try the "learn" function ?
And if your piano cannot go further than 108, why did not you set the max value to 109 (127 is shown in your screenshot)

Thanks for your help

Cheers,

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
The max knob controls the maximum OUTPUT velocity. I want to be able to achieve full velocity, so I leave that at its default value of 127.

I wanted to change the transfer function (the velocity curve) so that the piano's max output of 108 (which is the INPUT here) gets shifted up to 127 OUTPUT. Refer to the chart portion of the picture.

E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Yup, velocity is main problem. Without figuring it out, piano doesn't respond naturally.

Another thing - do you know how easly set up Vintage D as vst and to record from it? I want to set up it with Ableton Live Lite.

K
Kos Offline
K
Originally Posted by EO3
Yup, velocity is main problem. Without figuring it out, piano doesn't respond naturally.

I don't know about that. I spent hours (literally) trying different velocity curves, only to find the default one to be the most adequate and comfortable.

"There is nothing to piano playing besides producing the appropriate velocities on the appropriate keys at the appropriate time" (c) qvfarns
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Kos

I don't know about that. I spent hours (literally) trying different velocity curves, only to find the default one to be the most adequate and comfortable.

What kind of keyboard do You use? The thing is that with FP7F (I don't know if it applies to every keyboard) velocity set in FP7F also affects the sound in Vintage D.

So, there are 2 places where to set velocity - Vintage D + FP7F key touch settings. Of course, I could go without touching FP7F key touch, but then keyboard is too light...

Interesting discussion.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
Kos Offline
K
Originally Posted by EO3

What kind of keyboard do You use?

CLP430

Originally Posted by EO3
The thing is that with FP7F (I don't know if it applies to every keyboard) velocity set in FP7F also affects the sound in Vintage D.

Mine does too, but since Clavinova only has 3 velocity settings, I use the "Normal" one and it's working for me.

"There is nothing to piano playing besides producing the appropriate velocities on the appropriate keys at the appropriate time" (c) qvfarns
I know that the Clavinova's velocity setting alters the velocity curve with respect to the internally produced sounds.

But does it affect the velocity values in the output MIDI stream?

K
Kos Offline
K
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

But does it affect the velocity values in the output MIDI stream?

It does.

Last edited by Kos; 01/17/13 09:18 AM.

Thanks. So it's a good thing I always leave the piano in the middle setting. That way all of the alterations are handled in Kontakt.

E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Yeah, but the middle setting might not be good enough. In FP7F case I find middle setting (0) too light for key touch.

Another question - when I play back MIDI from FP7F Vintage D doesn't react (doesn't play it). Also I haven't found how exactly I can play midi files that I have on computer in Vintage D. Any tips? Thanks.

To play MIDI files (on the computer) through a Kontakt-based instrument, I use Midi Player or Notation. Both are available online.

You'll also need to install Midi Yoke. Run it, and create at least one MIDI port. In this sample, I created 4 ports.
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Here's Midi Player.

[Linked Image]

And here's its MIDI configuration window. I have it sending output to MIDI Yoke port 1, which was created in Midi Yoke, above.
[Linked Image]

Here's Notation.

[Linked Image]

And here's its MIDI configuration window. I have it sending output to MIDI Yoke port 1, which was created in Midi Yoke, above.
[Linked Image]

Finally, in Kontakt, click the options button and set up the MIDI configuration.
Here I have it accepting input from my Presonus MIDI interface (to play the piano),
and from MIDI Yoke port 1 (to play MIDI files from Midi Player or from Notation).

[Linked Image]

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
That seems like an awful lot of trouble to play a MIDI file.

An alternative is to drag & drop the MIDI file into a DAW and assign the sound source.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission