2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hello,

I have been interested in leaning how to tune and repair pianos for quite some time. I have looked in online and it looks like there is a variety of "home school" study courses available for purchase. Has anyone had any success with these? What direction would a newbie like myself be best taking. I was looking at the American School of Piano Tuning course. Looked decent from what I can see. Any feedback? Thanks!

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Where do you live? Sometimes technicians will offer courses, like myself. The PTG has meetings and there are schools that have formal programs. Most if not all online programs recommend that you find a mentor.

Good luck.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Before you invest too much time and energy in learning piano tuning, there are a few things you should consider.

Are you a self starter?
Can you organize and run your own business?
Are you personable and courteous?
Can you conduct yourself with courtesy and integrity in other people's homes?
Do you have a mechanical aptitude?
Do you have some working knowledge and aptitude in the music field?

This is just a short list. I tried to cram as much as I could into six questions that highlight areas of the business not normally discussed.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Good points David. The biggest thing that I find in most tuners haven't a clue, how to run a business and that, is their down fall. ALL of these same tuners are continually never charging enough for their services and believe me, I've heard every excuse in the book as to why they don't either.

It is IMPERATIVE that you learn how to run a business. If you can't do that, you'll never be able to acquire enough work to make a nice living.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Buyer beware - there are a number of "Home study" courses which are hopelessly outdated and have obviously not been updated in many years or even decades.

Connect with local PTG members, attend a few meetings and get some first hand input on the voyage you are about to begin, before spending (wasting) $1000 on outdated material and marginally useable tools.

JG
Jurgen is right.

Be careful at what you buy especially on the Internet.

There is a lot of misinformation and crap out there.

PTG is a safe start.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I haven't met anyone who had any success with the American School of Piano Tuning. I have met quite a few technicians who got their start with the Randy Potter Course. But as Jurgen states above, don't think a correspondence course is going to provide you everything you need - it will be just the basics.

I think the best course of action is to first find out who the most successful technician is in your area and take him/her out to lunch and have a serious talk about what is involved with the business. Jurgen is right on about attending some PTG meetings - that will give you a chance to meet some techs and get a sense of what is involved in being a tech.

If possible attend a regional PTG convention. For $300 you can attend WestPac in Phoenix this March. It is a great educational value. You'll actually be able to take tuning classes from the Legendary Jim Coleman Sr, Don Mannino and Randy Potter! Go to http://www.westpac-ptg.org to see the full schedule.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
...to the above I would only add that you need to have an insatiable appetite for always being in the learning mode. With that tool installed, you can use almost any source to enlighten yourself in different areas. I considered the written material to be supplementary to hands-on and mentored training.

That said, there is some VERY good written material and structured material available out there.

Best of luck. What Jerry highlighted about running a business is right on. Find technicians who you can ascertain (given their schedules) make up over 100K a year and find out what THEY are doing. Copy those business models and don't miss the part about grounding your business in service.

FWIW

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you for all the replies and feedback. I am looking to do it for myself and a few friends. Mainly as a hobby or sideline buisness. I noticed there are VERY few piano tuners in my area. Im not sure if this trade is a dying breed or not? I will look at the Randy Potters guide online and check out the PTG.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Dustin Spray
Thank you for all the replies and feedback. I am looking to do it for myself and a few friends. Mainly as a hobby or sideline buisness. I noticed there are VERY few piano tuners in my area. Im not sure if this trade is a dying breed or not? I will look at the Randy Potters guide online and check out the PTG.

The costs to entry are great enough, IMO, that it only makes sense to learn for two reasons: as a hobby, or full time. Expecting to be profitable as a side business is probably an unrealistic goal.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Dustin,

I am convinced that there is more than enough information in this very forum to get you started with learning how to tune. If you need pointers to particularly useful threads, I'll be happy to list them here.

I think Dave and Jerry make good points as to what might be important to consider. I'd like to add a few more characteristics that I personally feel are quite crucial: self-discipline, persistence and determination. Starting tuning the piano, everyone is going to want to throw in the towel quite a few times. Just don't give up.

Piano repair takes more tools (we never get enough of them... smile To start practicing tuning, you would only need to get a good-quality hammer, some temperament strips, and a bunch of mutes. The real investment lies in the time committed to learning.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

As a hobby? As a sideline? PLEASE, forget it then. If you plan on taking it up eventually seriously as a full time job then great otherwise, quite frankly, we have enough lousy tuners in this field as it is. We certainly do not need more and I say this from 40 + years of experience. That is my honest opinion of what I have encountered. "I want to do it for an extra buck. I want to learn it as a hobby. But, I am not serious about really learning how to do a fantastic job" and if you do it as a hobby, you will not be able to learn enough about it to do a fantastic job either.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
As a first tentative "toe in the water", why not invest in the Reblitz book (one of the standard texts), study it, and see how it grabs you. If you find it fascinating, then you can take further steps. If you hate the whole thing and are sure that you can go no further, then you have only wasted the price of one book, rather than a whole correspondence course. If you do undertake a course, the Arthur Reblitz book is still very good to have.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT

As a hobby? As a sideline? PLEASE, forget it then. If you plan on taking it up eventually seriously as a full time job then great otherwise, quite frankly, we have enough lousy tuners in this field as it is. We certainly do not need more and I say this from 40 + years of experience. That is my honest opinion of what I have encountered. "I want to do it for an extra buck. I want to learn it as a hobby. But, I am not serious about really learning how to do a fantastic job" and if you do it as a hobby, you will not be able to learn enough about it to do a fantastic job either.
You were doing well until you used the word hobby. I'm with Jerry Groot on this. Tuning is involved and difficult enough that you'll never be able to do acceptable work as a part-timer or hobby tooner.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
Cool down guys.

There is no problem if anybody want to try piano tuning for his personal education. We piano tuners need more well informed clients too! The ignorance about piano tuning stuff of most of our clients is annoying. I like it when I come across a well knoledgable client about piano tuning even if he did NOT pursue a profession.

Of course we have enough doers and incompetent piano tuners around but, I would never discourage a person in going deeper in the trade of piano tuning just for his personal education.

I only hope if this person (same goes for you Dustin Spray) just go into piano tuning for fun or hobby, would NEVER charge the full piano tuning fees or wont claim to be a professional piano tuner.

Honesty is important.

This said, get Reblitz Dustin et check if piano tuning is for you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mario Bruneau
Cool down guys.

There is no problem if anybody want to try piano tuning for his personal education. We piano tuners need more well informed clients too! The ignorance about piano tuning stuff of most of our clients is annoying. I like it when I come across a well knoledgable client about piano tuning even if he did NOT pursue a profession.

Of course we have enough doers and incompetent piano tuners around but, I would never discourage a person in going deeper in the trade of piano tuning just for his personal education.

I only hope if this person (same goes for you Dustin Spray) just go into piano tuning for fun or hobby, would NEVER charge the full piano tuning fees or wont claim to be a professional piano tuner.

Honesty is important.

This said, get Reblitz Dustin et check if piano tuning is for you.

Very well said!!!

Très bien dit!

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
B
Originally Posted by David Jenson
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT

You were doing well until you used the word hobby. I'm with Jerry Groot on this. Tuning is involved and difficult enough that you'll never be able to do acceptable work as a part-timer or hobby tooner.
Acceptable to who? A famous concert pianist or an impoverished family with a practice piano that is so out of tune as to be unplayable? Nothing wrong with all levels of service for all levels of budget. In my youthful drinking days I played pianos that had such loose pins that I had to quick put a pair of visegrips on them before sitting down to play. I don't play that kind of piano now, but I beat out a lot of blues on them in the past to the enjoyment of me and my audiences.

I say if the level of professionalism is not misrepresented and he charges accordingly more power to him.

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hello,

I have been interested in leaning how to tune and repair pianos for quite some time. I have looked in online and it looks like there is a variety of "home school" study courses available for purchase. Has anyone had any success with these? What direction would a newbie like myself be best taking. I was looking at the American School of Piano Tuning course. Looked decent from what I can see. Any feedback? Thanks!

I got started on the repair side with Reblitz's book and some old pianos to try things on. However it is of little value for tuning.

For tuning I got started with Bill Bremmer's website, easily findable. The rest I learned from friendly RPT's (I'm an associate member) and from this forum.

I got to the level that I can repair and tune my kids school pianos (for free). Perhaps my work is not up to professional standards, but if I didn't do it for free the school would dump the pianos and get electronic keyboards, which I consider a form of child abuse.

However if I were to advertise myself as a top-notch piano technician tuning for half the market rate on Craigslist I would call myself (and would be called that rightly so by Mr. Jerry Groot) a con-artist.

Main reason I tune and repair is I enjoy it.

Hope this perspective helps.

Kees

R
R
Dustin, there are a lot of good points made here. Especially the one about having the skills to run a business, any business for that matter. Just know that it takes a strong desire and tenacity to learn to tune pianos well. And, strong mechanical skills to perform repairs and services at a high level.

I would highly recommend attending some local PTG chapter meetings to talk with other technicians - both beginners and seasoned pros. This should help give you a good sense to know if it is right for you.

I personally got the "bug" after reading an article in Keyboard Magazine in 1990, written by Larry Fine. He talked about the career of being a piano technician. 10 years later, I made the decision to become a full-time piano technician. Best choice I have ever made.

Now 12 years later, my business is doing well, and my wife even helps me with it. In the beginning,I studied and completed the Randy Potter course and found it to be excellent, though a bit wordy. I also found an excellent mentor (a former piano technician for the Los Angeles Symphony) who taught me a lot about striving for excellence in piano servicing, among other things.

You will need basic tools to get started, as mentioned. But, you will also need pianos to practice on - lots of them. It is common for new tuners to perform floor tunings at a local piano store. I started off doing just that. At first, for free and later for pay and now, not at all.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Jenson
... I'm with Jerry Groot on this. Tuning is involved and difficult enough that you'll never be able to do acceptable work as a part-timer or hobby tooner.

Ah, come on guys - how hard can it be, really? bah

You know - get a couple tools, twist a couple pins, collect a couple checks.... laugh thumb

JG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission