Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
134 registered (Achilleas, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1804 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2013218 - 01/12/13 05:13 AM some doubts about porper fingering
humax Offline

Hi there,

I'm an adult amateur piano player and one of the compositions I'm working on at the moment is Keiko Matsui's "Forever". I reckon I play the entire piece quite acceptable just except some bloody passage (to be more precise just three heck notes of it) I can't get through. I'm capable to play it at a tempo which is a bit slower than normal one but as soon as I start playing the passage at its normal rate I get stumbled because I cannot relocate my either index or longer finger from F over the thumb to B flat as quickly as necessary. Since I've learnt to play piano on my own I had to develop my own fingering layout for this piece as well that is one of my weakest spots. Hence I'm still not sure whether I've done it properly, so I would be very grateful if somebody have a look at my layout then share their opinion regarding that.

Thanks,
Rostyslav

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2013239 - 01/12/13 06:05 AM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: humax]
albynism Offline

I tried playing both fingerings and both seems to work ok. have you done arpeggios or chromatic exercise before? They might help. Check that you are not holding onto the note longer than necessary, let go off the note as soon as you can as you ascend.

#2013269 - 01/12/13 08:00 AM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: albynism]
humax Offline

Thank you for your prompt reply. It makes things much clear now. I suspected the issue is more about technique rather than fingering order. Yeah, that was an accurate observation I shoudn't "hold the note longer than necessary" and after doing some analysis I realised that I really cannot relax my hand muscles in time that in turn makes my hand suffering from lack of flexibility resulted in poor speed. Well, now I know what I have to work on. Thanks.

Edited by humax (01/12/13 08:04 AM)

#2013271 - 01/12/13 08:04 AM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: humax]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: humax
as soon as I start playing the passage at its normal rate I get stumbled ...

Suggest you play at a slower rate then, until you don't get stumbled any more. Vs. trying to get un-stumbled at a quicker tempo.
Originally Posted By: humax
Since I've learnt to play piano on my own I had to develop my own fingering...Hence I'm still not sure whether I've done it properly...

Good, as you should. The fingering in the score are just a suggestion of the composer, or that of a friend they know. Don't ignore them and try and see if they will work for you. But, don't put too much weight in them either.

This was the advice I was given and it works for me. As a result though, I almost always ignore them smile and use my own.

#2013349 - 01/12/13 10:26 AM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: Greener]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Greener

Suggest you play at a slower rate then, until you don't get stumbled any more. Vs. trying to get un-stumbled at a quicker tempo.

+1 to this
Another thing that might help is to play the notes together--infinitely fast--and then slow them down.

#2013446 - 01/12/13 01:35 PM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: malkin]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: malkin

+1 to this
Another thing that might help is to play the notes together--infinitely fast--and then slow them down.

Some context to that would be great; no point in blowing away some beginner's mind with words like "infinitely fast"? I highly doubt that's the right approach here anyway, seeing as it's just 1/8th notes etc..?

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2013483 - 01/12/13 02:41 PM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: humax]
Oongawa Offline

I'm not familiar with that piece, but one thing that I have found when I run into that sort of thing (where you can play the notes but when increasing the speed, it's hard to get there) is this:

Try taking the two or three measures, and play the LAST measure that is troublesome and get the fingering for it right. Then play the previous measure, and get the fingering.

For me, this helps, because I have found that the fingering that feels right for measure 1 might set me up to be in a bad place for measure2. Sometimes the earlier (less complex) measure may give you time to do a finger change or move that puts you in a better position to deal with the "problem" measure. but that's hard to figure out if you're not sure what the fingering needs to be for the "problem" measure. And this sort of thing might not be evident at slower speeds, when you have time to adjust but it causes trouble when you speed up.

Hope this helps!

'69 Mason & Hamlin Model A

#2013535 - 01/12/13 04:15 PM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: humax]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
floyd: I think malkin refers to the "chord attack" from Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Practise (p33). It's a way to learn playing very quick triplets, quadruplets, broken chords, etc. by playing block chords first. In a block chord you play all the notes at the same time, hence "infinitely fast". Chang suggests it is easier to slow down from infinitely fast than to speed up from a slow speed, as with the latter you may eventually hit a speed wall where you can't seem to go any faster.

(Is it okay to quote from the book? The author explains it so well.)

#2013571 - 01/12/13 05:16 PM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: humax]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Yep. Aiming for the triplet as a block might help you see if you can get your hand to the right place.

Besides, I just like to imagine doing anything 'infinitely fast.'

#2013763 - 01/13/13 03:35 AM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: Allard]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: Allard
floyd: I think malkin refers to the "chord attack" from Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Practise (p33).

Yeah, I know, not sure the OP did though.

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2014142 - 01/13/13 10:29 PM Re: some doubts about porper fingering [Re: humax]
victthoe Offline

Loc: Banned
It makes things much clear now. I suspected the issue is more about technique rather than fingering order.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159368 Topics
2341075 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission