Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2014552 - 01/14/13 05:20 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Melodialworks Music]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
Originally Posted By: Vid
The last time I played on both (N1 and NU1 beside each other) I found I liked the action on the NU1 better. I first time however I preferred the N1.

In my experience, the second impression is always the one to trust.

. . . . the N1 action that time felt overly light.

Interesting. I've also read the opposite, that the action of the NU1 seems lighter than the N1.

I've played the N1 and the NU1 side by side a few times now (well, they were, and still are side by side at the showroom....) and there's no question that the NU1's action is lighter, and more like that of an acoustic piano. The N1's action is heavier/more sluggish than that of any acoustic I've ever played - the Yamaha acoustic grands and uprights, including the CFX and CF-IIIS, are upstairs in the same premises, so it's an easy matter for me to check.

The N1 and NU1, I should add, have been there on display for some months (the N1 for slightly longer) but to all intents and purposes, their conditions are as new, unlike the N3 (which felt somewhat looser, having been on display for over 3 years).

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2014921 - 01/15/13 01:12 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Susan_B Offline

Loc: United States
I guess I should have played the darn thing (NU1) before making my purchase. The store manager had told me the NU1 definitely has upright action. I was looking for the deep feel of the grand action.

#2014946 - 01/15/13 02:04 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Since these have real piano actions I think you could have a technician work on them and regulate them to your personal preference. The lightness/heaviness factor should be highly adjustable.

On the other hand are there technicians who specialize in hybrids? (I doubt it!)

#2014964 - 01/15/13 02:31 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Vid]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Since these have real piano actions I think you could have a technician work on them and regulate them to your personal preference. The lightness/heaviness factor should be highly adjustable.

On the other hand are there technicians who specialize in hybrids? (I doubt it!)

I think this has been discussed before. There is a thread where an N1 keyboard had some adjustments done, but not really a regulation. It was done by a certified Yamaha engineer.

#2015003 - 01/15/13 03:50 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: spanishbuddha]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Susan, Don't think about it. The grand action on your N1 is great for your continued inspiration. I don't care what anyone says here, upright action is not as good. I'm sure the same people will argue with me but I've lived with upright action for too many years and I never could sit and be inspired to practice as long as I can do now that I have my AG. I'd had plenty of good pianists come by, and they all love the action.

You made a good decision! stop reading and thinking and enjoy the moments you play.

Edited by 36251 (01/15/13 03:52 PM)

#2015007 - 01/15/13 03:55 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Susan_B Offline

Thanks, 36251. You are right.

#2015445 - 01/16/13 12:04 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Taylorius Offline

I played the N1 and NU1 side by side when I was deciding what DP to buy. To be honest I didn't find that much difference between their actions. If anything, the NU1 was a little snappier to return, but that could just be because it was a bit newer. NU1 was possibly a bit lighter too, but there wasn't a lot in it.

We went for the NU1 in the end, and I'm glad we did. It looks great in our living room, and the whole family are really happy with it.

Cheers

Matt

#2015748 - 01/16/13 07:47 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
HwyStar Offline

New post on Youtube about the NU1 from Cosmo Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP1CKnDVhYA

Sounds nice.

#2016201 - 01/17/13 03:27 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Susan_B Offline

HwyStar, Nice video demonstrating the NU1's features. But even this dealer admits it's an upright action. The store manager who sold me my N1 said he was able to offer me a good deal because most people looking for a hybrid piano can't tell the difference between the NU1 and N1 -- that being said, he indicated there is clearly a difference: grand vs. upright action. The NU1 looks very nice, but I'm happy with my choice.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (AmateurBob, anotherscott, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1548 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75334 Members
42 Forums
155752 Topics
2286787 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whatever happened to pianist David Bean?
by John Pels
31 minutes 44 seconds ago
New member! I hope you enjoy my piano.
by Stephen K
Today at 05:57 PM
NP31 and CDP120
by chessman
Today at 04:35 PM
Petrof or Baldwin
by stargazer200529
Today at 03:27 PM
Trichord string diameters Tallinn Grands
by Goof
Today at 02:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission