2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2011216 01/08/13 03:21 PM
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
On Thursday I'm going to have a try out lesson with a new teacher here (she's new to our area.) I know that she taught in BC before moving here, teaches primarily adults but does teach some children, is open to whatever type of music I want to learn (or method,) and has a studio in her home with a Grand!

She offers either 4 lessons a month or 2 a month (I took the 2 because it's all I can afford.) Each lesson is 30 minutes long.

I'm to bring all the books I've been working on to show her what I'm doing where, where I'm at and what I need help with.

I also wrote out a general goals list for her to get an idea of what I'm trying to achieve. (I have stuff like, to play with other musicians, styles of music, learn to improvise on it.)

So other than being on time, bringing my books and my goals list, is there anything else I should bring or prepare? I'm really excited and nervous. Been counting down the days all week! LOL

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sounds exciting, Becca! I look forward to hearing how it goes. The only other thing I can think of is that you may want to have one well-learned piece identified ahead of time that you would feel comfortable playing for her if she should ask.

J
J
BC to Thunder Bay - thats quite a move! Where in BC was she from?

Essex EUP-123S

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm happy for you, Becca. Let us know how it goes.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by BeccaBb

So other than being on time, bringing my books and my goals list, is there anything else I should bring

Bring your swing !

BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I believe she came from Vancouver but don't quote me on that!

I think I'm supposed to play a bit of each book that I bring. Some is near performance level and some isn't. Really I want her to catch all my problem areas! Most of which are physical. smile So hopefully that will work, just playing where I'm at!

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I will update after the lesson.. Two days is so far away! LOL

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
BeccaBb, what happened to your previous teacher? (I thought you had a previous teacher?)

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I had a teacher last spring who took my money and I never heard from him again after less then two months of lessons. Then right before Christmas, Bluoh offered a few free online lessons. I had two of those with her, which were wonderful, but am unable to continue due to finances.

Taking lessons with Bluoh helped me realize I really need help with the physical aspects (hand position, movement, stress in the body.) I seen the add for this teacher right after that and she offers minimal lessons that I can afford. smile So here I am. I did speak with her on the phone first to get an idea of what she's about. She knows that my physical aspects need work.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
BeccaBb, I hope things work out swimmingly well with this new teacher.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Becca,

I hope it works out with the new teacher. It sounds like you are prepared to show her where your playing level is at the moment.

Have you thought about things to ask about her? Maybe what kind of music SHE likes, which can give you insight to the approach she might take. Or maybe what kind of structure can you expect...ie mix of pieces, vs. technical exercises, scales, etc. With just a half hour every two weeks it is going to be important to really laser in on your most important needs during those 30 minutes.

Good luck. Realizing you need a teacher is half the battle and a really positive step for you.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Oooh I have not thought about what to ask! I did ask a lot of questions on the phone. She's familiar with all of the methods I'm using and the styles I like. Beyond that, not sure..

What are good questions? Lol

Thanks for the good wishes! smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure what to suggest - but GOOD LUCK!
It sounds like you are well organized and are getting some good ideas from the others here.

It is very exciting to start off with a new teacher - you'll get a whole new perspective.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

N
N
Hey Becca, wish I had some useful advice for you, so all I can do is wish you good luck and I hope it works out the way you want.

I will add, it will probably be quite nerve wracking and a little stressful to play in front of a new teacher, so my advice is to try and relax (easier said than done, I know), and remember the teacher is there to see your faults as well as your merits, so don't feel you have to impress. I'm sure you know this already.

Best wishes,

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
The fact that she teaches primarily adults may indicate that she's used to students who are fairly lazy and that have unrealistic expectations. I would make it abundantly clear (even explicitly saying it wouldn't hurt) that you're not simply in it to learn a few, easy pieces and that you're willing to invest the time necessary working hard to not only learn to play piano, but also to eventually be self-sufficient in your learning.

Keystring herself is an experienced teacher and recommends just this.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bring your heart!

Learner
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
The fact that she teaches primarily adults may indicate that she's used to students who are fairly lazy and that have unrealistic expectations.

Hmm, I've met a lot (90%+?) of the adult students at my teacher's studio and not a single one is like that. I'm not saying there aren't but I'm pretty positive that adult students are, in general, more motivated than the majority of the kids.

BeccaBb - I think being comfortable with the teacher is one of the key things. I wouldn't worry about questions too much ... see where the conversation goes.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wish you the best, Becca!

The only thing I can add is that 30 minutes is a very short time frame for the first lesson, way too short in my experience to get to mutually know a bit about each other, share goals, play some pieces, look at books, come up with the beginnings of a study plan, and actually teach a thing or two, and have you practice for a bit that teaching.

I always schedule 45 minutes to an hour for the first lesson, (but only charge them for 30 minutes,) and even then that longer time flies by way too fast.

I hate to rain on your parade, but if her standard way of doing lessons is to only allow 30 minutes for the very first lesson, that would be a caution flag to me. Not a red flag, but somewhat troubling. Especially since she won't see you next for two weeks.

I am hoping that she has a bit more time for this first lesson.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
The fact that she teaches primarily adults may indicate that she's used to students who are fairly lazy and that have unrealistic expectations.

Hmm, I've met a lot (90%+?) of the adult students at my teacher's studio and not a single one is like that. I'm not saying there aren't but I'm pretty positive that adult students are, in general, more motivated than the majority of the kids.

Yeah, sorry, maybe I came off wrong. I'd agree that most are more motivated than children - this is apparent in their willful choice to pick up an instrument - but meant to simply emphasize the point of unrealistic expectations (at least at first) and the unexpected amount of work necessary to reach their goals as well as the process.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
BeccaBb - good luck with your new teacher. Sometimes change is good.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Rocket has alluded to something important, which is that paid lessons are commencing here without any sort of initial get-acquainted session or audition. That's not necessarily a red flag, but perhaps pink. It's certainly not the way I would ever take on a student, and it suggests a teacher who is more driven by money than by the educational process.

But Becca, forget our words of caution. Your half-hour lesson will fly by. You'll be somewhwat intimidated by this new teacher - hopefully not too much - but you'll probably have a good time and come away invigorated.

We'll await your report on how it goes!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission