2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 282 of 341 1 2 280 281 282 283 284 340 341
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
printer1: When I play Beatrice I use the intro from the original recording. It's really simple and nice. Just bass and piano.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
nice jjo!

i gotta dig out that recording. haven't listened to it in a while. but it's up there w/the great ones!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'd like to learn the intro. Admittedly I did not pay much attention to it. Maybe we can all post our versions for fun. I'm going to see about making a backing track in BIAB.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Ok guys -- here's a very interesting experiment to listen to. This is BIAB playing Inner Urge. As you all know BIAB comes with a solo generation program that makes really good solos based on cliché vocabulary. I've heard versions that Chris has posted and it has some really good licks in there and some really good logic like repeats and other kinds of motifs.

Inner Urge
https://www.box.com/s/ers62eycuqf70lz05cdq

BUT -- Inner Urge is an example of those tunes that are not rooted in Bebop progressions and it's funny hearing BIAB trying to make standard licks through some of these changes. Doesn't work for me smile Maybe it does for you. But some of it sounds truly vertical playing (Chord by chord without common tone melodies).

So I believe it least in this case, that the computer loses. Well I could be wrong if you think this solo matches some of the versions by Joe Henderson, etc. What I think it misses is that it can't connect common tones in the progression so it looks at each chord independently or as some ii-V progression. Thus, it complicates this tune which I think can be simplified by looking at those common tones and not necessarily the main chord tones. (I think the same of Beatrice BTW). Something I refer to as Horizontal Playing ala Miles Davis (melodies that cross bars).

I would be interested in debates on this issue.

It shows to me at least what the logic of BIAB is. I could actually pick up Bebop vocabulary from BIAB. I'm actually very curious at the contributor of the soloing logic to BIAB. The fact that it can even make realistic sounding Bebop solos better than many aspiring jazz players is amazing. It can't make a mistake, select a wrong note or have a timing/articulation error.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I just looked at it in Gb. Not that bad smile Though it was a pain looking at transposed changes showing Cb...just can't get used to that.
Well it was written H in my part smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by printer1
jazz wee .. beatrice by sam rivers? that's a great tune! have you heard the recording it's from (fusia swing song ... sam rivers, jaki byard, tony willams, ron carter!)

... Gb major on the piano is a very, very nice key because the black keys are always consonant! On double bass, Gb, it's probably a nightmare of a key! No open strings!

You chould have look back in this Topic; a couple of us submitted recordings of Beatrice.

Yeah no open strings, except when we did a Dameron turnaround, Gb Amaj7 Dmaj7 Gmaj7 - saved my bacon. smile

Last edited by chrisbell; 12/30/12 03:56 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
OK here's my first try of this tune. I messed up the head initially. There's also distracting comping from the guitar player and also the percussionist who's off in time. But this is a jam so I can't really clear them out.

Inner Urge (First Try)
https://www.box.com/s/zbsdoc3n5qz2w8m669km

I'll be playing this again in the next few gigs so we'll see if it gets better, particularly the head.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Same annoying background here plus low piano volume against electric instruments. But in any case here's the last section of Beatrice with my solo.

Beatrice (Excerpt - Jam)
https://www.box.com/s/6ihdjbhnkkyr4soevl2q

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Perhaps no one cares but here's another retry on Inner Urge. Getting more comfortable. However, I'm rushing and it's really irritating to hear. I'm disgusted with my myself. The next time I play this, I will be more attentive to the time.

Inner Urge (#2)
https://www.box.com/s/ajyyzsjritdneu20ekux

One thing too. The original head requires 16th notes to be played (upward arpeggio) at 220bpm. Well that's pretty much impossible for me. Maybe you have to be Chick Corea to play it. I listened to Bill Charlap, and he's just ghosting the upward arpeggio (quintuplet 16ths). Just for comparison, the 16ths in Chopin 10/1 Etude is at 170bpm so this is much faster than that. Thus, as I've heard other people do, I've simplified.

Here's another couple of tunes. Same rushing issue.

Dolphin Dance
https://www.box.com/s/09ig7zzh9cvwi0ptt11n

Whisper Not
https://www.box.com/s/5rcvfxzb5vc2r92bp0mg

Last edited by jazzwee; 01/12/13 05:50 AM.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's cool that you decided to play the head on some of the tunes. Very nice!

S
S
Hello and I want to learn more jazz style. So glad I entered the beginners forum to find your wonderful post and thank you. Sandra M

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Victor Wooten has some great time exercises that can easily be adapted for piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRmiTta995o

Sometimes rushing can just happen when we play difficult music because we concentrating so hard on playing all the notes or changes that there is not enough brain left for proper concentration on the rhythm. Playing simply is good for groove I think.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss

Victor Wooten has some great time exercises that can easily be adapted for piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRmiTta995o

Sometimes rushing can just happen when we play difficult music because we concentrating so hard on playing all the notes or changes that there is not enough brain left for proper concentration on the rhythm. Playing simply is good for groove I think.

Great Wooten video there! There's an iphone Time Trainer app that does something like that automatically.

True about difficulty being the reason. I'm not rushing on Whisper Not and I'm just rushing a tad at the beginning of Dolphin Dance and then I relax.

Inner Urge -- it takes so much attention to play the head at this time. If you miss a beat, the whole thing is screwed up. So it causes me to tense up. But definitely getting easier. I really like the tune though. Sounds like real jazz especially when played fast.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty

Thanks Knots. I want to do trio gigs so I've got to hone down the heads. I rely too much on the sax player.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty

Thanks Knots. I want to do trio gigs so I've got to hone down the heads. I rely too much on the sax player.

Careful for what you wish for, JW. I love playing trio, but its pretty hard to make it sound good most of the time, and I know that I'm probably the most to blame, even though I like to complain about how the other two should know the tunes better. At least with a sax or other lead instrument it felt like I could contribute without taking too much responsibility.

That being said, I'd always prefer trio over quartet or quintet, pressure and all.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A few tracks from Friday, 2 standards and one original brought by the sax player:

Nearness of You:
https://www.box.com/s/0vtuynds98yrdxh0tuge

Mr PC
https://www.box.com/s/fts9tqe3k65iqaok0ugq

Original:
https://www.box.com/s/08xwxxmwzwmvesnen1h0

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Really enjoyed the Wooten video. It's enough for me, however, just to practice keeping time with one pulse per measure on the metronome. Going multiple measures would be hopeless.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jjo
Really enjoyed the Wooten video. It's enough for me, however, just to practice keeping time with one pulse per measure on the metronome. Going multiple measures would be hopeless.

I think the idea is to challenge yourself just a little bit. If the tempo is comfortable then notch the metronome down a couple of clicks, or find some rhythmic challenge in the existing tempo to overcome. This way you can force some improvement to happen. If you just do what is comfortable then it is not enough of a challenge.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I'll give it a go! But for challenges, today I had my Latin Jazz Ensemble class. First, we did Blue Monk, switching between 7/4 and cha cha in 4/4. Then we played Footprints, switching between 6/4 and a 3/2 Rhumba Clave.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
... today I had my Latin Jazz Ensemble class. First, we did Blue Monk, switching between 7/4 and cha cha in 4/4. Then we played Footprints, switching between 6/4 and a 3/2 Rhumba Clave.

I'm curious as to how Blue Monk would sound that way. Was it musical? I love odd meter stuff, but certain tunes with certain melodic aspects shouldn't be used for Latin feel IMHO.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

Page 282 of 341 1 2 280 281 282 283 284 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission