Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
128 registered (Anita Potter, accordeur, A Guy, 36251, 39 invisible), 1516 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2015450 - 01/16/13 12:16 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: pianoloverus]
Franz Beebert Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: landorrano
Originally Posted By: Works1
a single Chopin etude is not a major work
I'd just like to point out: a single Chopin étude is not only not a major work, it is not a work.
Why do you this so? I think most would say "work" is just another name for "piece" and that a single etude qualitifes as both.
Certainly, and if I have do decide what it deserves to be called the most between "work" and "piece", I would go with "work". A piece is a work, a study is also a work. Everything Chopin created deserves to be called a work. Everything any composer creates deserves to be called a work.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2015456 - 01/16/13 12:29 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: fj_s]
Works1 Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: fj_s
I thought the Rondo in A minor (K511) is usually considered one of Mozart's finest piano works. Wouldn't that usually qualify as a major work? It's pretty musically complex, and often played in programmes and competitions.

Whatever K.511 is considered, I find it to be one of Mozart's most beautiful and intriguing works for solo piano.

#2015465 - 01/16/13 12:44 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Works1]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Odd, I tend to use the word 'work' more often in relation to big works like Havergal Brian's 'Gothic' Symphony, or Mahler's 8th, or Bruckner's 8th. Or Bach's Goldberg or Beethoven's Diabelli. Anything less than 3 minutes and single movement is a 'piece'...... wink

#2015469 - 01/16/13 12:56 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Works1]
Franz Beebert Offline

Another solution to how to use the word "work" might be to use it to the composers who has put a lot of effort in their music! wink For example, it is said that Chopin worked very hard with perfecting his pieces(therefore his pieces are works), while Schubert spitted out new music as often as he took a new breath(therefore he never wrote a single work)! wink

This is of course just a joke smile

#2015477 - 01/16/13 01:11 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Franz Beebert]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Franz Beebert
..... while Schubert spitted out new music as often as he took a new breath(therefore he never wrote a single work)! wink

This is of course just a joke smile

Schubert's Der Hirt auf dem Felsen is a work, but An die Musik is a piece.....

Or maybe, they're just songs, or Lieder grin.

#2015497 - 01/16/13 01:42 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Works1]
Franz Beebert Offline

Yes but how much effort did Schubert in Did Hirt auf dem Felsen? I mean, he was such a huge talent that it seems he could write down his music without even thinking, therefore, he never wrote a single work wink That's not to say that his pieces actually are works(these sounds wierd), but what I mean is, he probably did not have to WORK as hard as the majority of composers in order to get his ideas down wink

#2015503 - 01/16/13 01:48 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Works1]
5000 Post Club Member

Well, Mozart composed whole operas and symphonies and concertos in his head while playing billiards wink......and he composed his greatest symphonies (no.39 - 41) in less than 3 months, even though he wasn't commissioned and probably didn't even know whether they would ever be performed.

#2015506 - 01/16/13 01:55 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Works1]
Franz Beebert Offline

I haven't forgotten about Mozart of course, but he is veryyyy famous for his talent. I think Schubert deserves more recognition when it comes to talent. I mean, in a year(at the age of 18(!!!!) he wrote over 20 000 bars of music, which included nine church works, a symphony, four sonatas and 150(!) lieders(he wrote several of them in just a day) and a lot more! shocked

#2015537 - 01/16/13 03:01 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Works1]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
The études of Chopin are a work, one etude is a part of a work and is not a work in itself. A major work. Chopin hears Paganini, decides to write not an étude but a set of études, a veritable manifesto. "Hats off, gentlemen, we're in the prescence of a genious."

#2015540 - 01/16/13 03:03 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: btb]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: btb
Landoro’s English is pretty damn good ...

You're darn tootin'! And my South African: "a weem o weh, a weem o weh" !

#2015577 - 01/16/13 03:44 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: landorrano]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
The études of Chopin are a work, one etude is a part of a work and is not a work in itself. A major work. Chopin hears Paganini, decides to write not an étude but a set of études, a veritable manifesto.
That's your personal definition of "work" and not the one used by everyone or found in the dictionary.

Here's one online dictionary that indicates that work, piece, composition, and opus are synonyms:

"Noun 1.musical composition - a musical work that has been created musical composition - a musical work that has been created; "the composition is written in four movements"
opus, piece of music, composition, piece"

Edited by pianoloverus (01/16/13 03:50 PM)

#2015657 - 01/16/13 05:34 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: Works1]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
FYI two posts ago the Pianist Corner was at 505050 posts. Kinda neat.

#2015925 - 01/17/13 04:38 AM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: landorrano]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
The études of Chopin are a work, one etude is a part of a work and is not a work in itself. A major work. Chopin hears Paganini, decides to write not an étude but a set of études, a veritable manifesto. "Hats off, gentlemen, we're in the prescence of a genious."

Yes, the set is most certainly a work, but each individual component (each crucial in comprising the whole) is absolutely a work itself. To state that one of these is not a work itself is to exhibit ignorance of the work(s) in question. Do your homework.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2015952 - 01/17/13 06:29 AM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: stores]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores
Do your homework.

Oui, monsieur! Ah, it gives me pleasure to get laid into by you Stores!

#2016134 - 01/17/13 01:16 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: JoelW]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Joel_W
FYI[...] Kinda neat.

Kinda? Who is Kinda?

#2016173 - 01/17/13 02:31 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: BruceD]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
FYI[...] Kinda neat.

Kinda? Who is Kinda?

Gregory Kinda is an Australian pianist who made some recordings on a real piece of work , the amazing Stuart & Sons piano. www.leatham.com.au/kinda wink

#2016191 - 01/17/13 03:04 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: bennevis]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: bennevis
Originally Posted By: BruceD
FYI[...] Kinda neat.

Kinda? Who is Kinda?

Gregory Kinda is an Australian pianist who made some recordings on a real piece of work , the amazing Stuart & Sons piano. www.leatham.com.au/kinda wink

Touché! cool

#2016194 - 01/17/13 03:10 PM Re: What constitutes a major work for solo piano? [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
fg

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Weird notation in the left hand
by LarryShone
12/20/14 07:43 PM
Need help picking a Beethoven Piano Sonata Slow movement
by oaklandraiders76
12/20/14 04:50 PM
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
12/20/14 04:37 PM
Do you recommend a back cover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
12/20/14 03:56 PM
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160021 Topics
2349946 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission