Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2013408 - 01/12/13 12:17 PM Yamaha NU1 ... just played one
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I drove to my local music store to have a close up look of the StagePas 600 and there was an NU1 on the floor. I played it for about 10 minutes. It's very, very nice.

I can see a piano like this in restaurants and hotels. It has a very small footprint, sounds great, looks great, ... and never needs to be tuned ... and has a great keyboard action.

The price here was €4399.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2013427 - 01/12/13 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
I drove to my local music store to have a close up look of the StagePas 600 and there was an NU1 on the floor. I played it for about 10 minutes. It's very, very nice.

I can see a piano like this in restaurants and hotels. It has a very small footprint, sounds great, looks great, ... and never needs to be tuned ... and has a great keyboard action.

The price here was €4399.
...but would you trade it for your AG?

#2013460 - 01/12/13 02:05 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: 36251]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
Yes,
That's the point we all would like to know: How does the NU1 compare to the AG (sound and keyboard) ?

#2013494 - 01/12/13 02:55 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: enzo.sandrolini
Yes,
That's the point we all would like to know: How does the NU1 compare to the AG (sound and keyboard) ?

It compares favorably. If the N series did not exist, I'd be here pushing the NU1.

I've had my N3 for two years and eight months and the action is broken in. The action on this NU1 was crisp and still felt quite new. I would not be unhappy in the slightest if I had to sell my N3 and buy an NU1.

I personally prefer to have a work out when I practice and this new NU1 presented a slight challenge to me when I played it today. I always like playing on a brand new action and I really liked this NU1.

It really is a great piano. If I had an offer to play regularly in a hotel or restaurant, I'd consider buying one and moving it to the job.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013502 - 01/12/13 03:06 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
enzo.sandrolini Offline

Loc: Europe - France
What exactly do you mean by "broken in" ? do you mean the action has worn out ?
Do you think that the action difference is really because your AG action has worn out ? or because the Uprgith action from the NU1 is simply different ?
Why don't you call a technician to revise your N3 action ?

#2013526 - 01/12/13 03:47 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Do you think that the action difference is really because your AG action has worn out ?

Who says his AG action is worn out? You ask him to clarify what he means but then go on to make assumptions (incorrectly as it happens).

#2013562 - 01/12/13 05:01 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: enzo.sandrolini]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

What exactly do you mean by "broken in" ? do you mean the action has worn out ?
Do you think that the action difference is really because your AG action has worn out ? or because the Uprgith action from the NU1 is simply different ?
Why don't you call a technician to revise your N3 action ?

Enzo, I've owned and bought only new keyboards in my life. I also spend a fair amount of time playing somewhat technical stuff. There's a difference between a piano that has seen very little use - a new piano, or a piano that has been heavy played upon daily. My N3 will be three years old in May.

In probably less than five years ... and if Yamaha does not come up with a follow up to the N3, I'll have the action of my N3 worked on ... just like I did when I owned a C3 and just like I did on my GranTouch.

Pianos have many moving parts and with considerable daily use tolerances become less precise. I really liked the NU1 because it is a great piano and also because the action is brand new.

I have now spent more time writing here than I did playing the NU1.

I suggest that you make a trip to a dealer that has one and then you can make up your own mind. For me a piano is just a tool, I'm not married to a particular piano for life. There's something nice about buying something new especially if you're a pianist and the purchase is a new piano.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013565 - 01/12/13 05:06 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"looks great, ... "

Dave, are you being serious?

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Yamaha-N1-Avant-Grand-Piano?keyword=yamaha N1 Avant grand&category_id=0

""

#2013570 - 01/12/13 05:15 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: peterws]
10fingers Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: peterws
"looks great, ... "

Dave, are you being serious?

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Yamaha-N1-Avant-Grand-Piano?keyword=yamaha N1 Avant grand&category_id=0

Different piano, Peter. I think Dave's talking about this

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/yamaha-nu1-piano?keyword=Yamaha%20NU1&category_id=0

#2013573 - 01/12/13 05:17 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Peter, I had a lengthy reply prepared then realized you're referring to the N1.

NU1 ...

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013597 - 01/12/13 06:29 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

It compares favorably. If the N series did not exist, I'd be here pushing the NU1.

I've had my N3 for two years and eight months and the action is broken in. The action on this NU1 was crisp and still felt quite new. I would not be unhappy in the slightest if I had to sell my N3 and buy an NU1.

I personally prefer to have a work out when I practice and this new NU1 presented a slight challenge to me when I played it today. I always like playing on a brand new action and I really liked this NU1.

It really is a great piano. If I had an offer to play regularly in a hotel or restaurant, I'd consider buying one and moving it to the job.

+1 on all counts. I did buy one, and after considering all the non-hybrid high end digitals (LX15, CS9, VGrand, etc). They were all fine but nothing beats that piano action for playing ... Piano.

#2013635 - 01/12/13 07:58 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Sorry about that Dave . . .my mistake! The NU1 looks terrific, no doubt about it.

""

#2013785 - 01/13/13 05:16 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I have to say that after seeing this NU1 in person and having played it, my opinion has slightly changed about the N1.

I initially thought that having a grand piano action is heads and shoulders above a vertical action but that's not really the case.

I could be very happy just playing on a vertical action ... and the fact that the NU1 looks rather slim and elegant (especially when compared to the N1) is a considerable plus. I really see this NU1 being used in homes, hotels and restaurants where looks count a little.

I really wish Yamaha had more competition in this hybrid market.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013808 - 01/13/13 07:31 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have to say that after seeing this NU1 in person and having played it, my opinion has slightly changed about the N1.

I initially thought that having a grand piano action is heads and shoulders above a vertical action but that's not really the case.

I could be very happy just playing on a vertical action ... and the fact that the NU1 looks rather slim and elegant (especially when compared to the N1) is a considerable plus. I really see this NU1 being used in homes, hotels and restaurants where looks count a little.

I really wish Yamaha had more competition in this hybrid market.
Your comments so far IMO have lacked a commitment to really give an opinion about specifics of each instrument. The sound system, the samples, not having escapement on NU1, etc. I'm sure you can use the extra money your N3 can fetch, while using some of it for a brand new NU1.

I personally, could not live with upright action, after so many years of not being able to fit a suitable grand in my space, but I like reading about how new models fair.

#2013830 - 01/13/13 09:15 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: 36251]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Your comments so far IMO have lacked a commitment to really give an opinion about specifics of each instrument. The sound system, the samples, not having escapement on NU1, etc. I'm sure you can use the extra money your N3 can fetch, while using some of it for a brand new NU1.

I personally, could not live with upright action, after so many years of not being able to fit a suitable grand in my space, but I like reading about how new models fair.

The sound system - I said that I did not play with the volume cranked up but to be perfectly honest, I never play with the volume cranked up. The NU1 sounded just fine.

the samples - I didn't listen through headphones, but here again, the two samples I played (1 and 4) sounded just like the samples on my N3. Even if the piano sample is different, it sounds just fine.

not having escapement - I guess I'm not as fussy as some here. If the NU1 were the only hybrid piano on the market, I'd buy it ... and I'd be happy.

I just like having a real acoustic action to practice on and a volume control so I can play with a quiet output. I look at these pianos as tools to be used. I don't play from the depths of my very soul, I just play the piano. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013837 - 01/13/13 09:29 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

not having escapement - I guess I'm not as fussy as some here. If the NU1 were the only hybrid piano on the market, I'd buy it ... and I'd be happy.

The thing is the N1,2,3 don't implement the escapement properly with the key sensors anyway, so the NU1 is just as good.

Quote:
I just like having a real acoustic action to practice on and a volume control so I can play with a quiet output.

Upright actions are unfairly criticised on this forum. A real upright action beats any of the grand action wannabes out there in DP land. The only thing it can't beat is the AG's grand action - and even then it gets darn close.

Quote:
I look at these pianos as tools to be used. I don't play from the depths of my very soul, I just play the piano. smile

That gave me a chuckle.

#2013847 - 01/13/13 09:54 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dave, better sell N3 now to save on depreciation.

Edited by 36251 (01/13/13 10:02 AM)

#2013851 - 01/13/13 10:04 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: ando]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ando, I think there's more with gravity that makes grand better.

#2013859 - 01/13/13 10:32 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: 36251]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 36251
Dave, better sell N3 now to save on depreciation.

I'll trade my N3 in on the next version of the 'N3'. I traded in my 12 year old GranTouch for my N3 and received €3,500. I'm not worried in the slightest about depreciation.

To be honest I'm toying with the idea of buying the NU1 as a second 'acoustic' keyboard.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013946 - 01/13/13 02:24 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
sullivang Online   blank
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I'm still curious (for academic reasons) to know whether the NU1 has a fake double-escapement (like tri-sensor standard DPs). I.e - it's conceivable that it allows repeats for relatively shallow key returns, despite the fact that the physical action would not allow that, if it were used with real strings.

Greg.

#2013964 - 01/13/13 03:13 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I wrote the following ... The sound system - I said that I did not play with the volume cranked up but to be perfectly honest, I never play with the volume cranked up. The NU1 sounded just fine.

I went back and reread my entries and I apparently did not refer earlier in this thread to the sound system. I think I must have written about it and then edited my post for some reason. This is no big deal, I'm just trying to be honest and accurate.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013976 - 01/13/13 03:54 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: 36251]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: 36251
Ando, I think there's more with gravity that makes grand better.

Yes, no doubt that is true, but i don't think we should exaggerate it. A nice upright action is very expressive and still better than the miniaturised grand actions found in modern DPs, IMO.

#2013998 - 01/13/13 04:37 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: ando]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I played I believe a N1 (or NU1) today. Not sure.
It had a list price of $15k, they told be it was a 2011 model and would to $10k on it.

It felt real.

However, there is a CLV 465G i like. Leaving slab world though.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2014053 - 01/13/13 07:11 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Possum PX130350
I played I believe a N1 (or NU1) today. Not sure.
It had a list price of $15k, they told be it was a 2011 model and would to $10k on it.

Retail prices in my part of the world:

NU1 - $4,699
N1 - $7,500
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#2014197 - 01/14/13 02:16 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Susan_B Offline

Loc: United States
When I made the deal on my N1, I didn't see the NU1 on the floor, or I would have played one. To be honest, I didn't ask to see one because I was convinced I wanted grand piano action. My N1 has proven a great practice tool for classical -- it allows me to play deep, and I'm able to easily adapt to my teacher's 9 ft grand. That being said, you have piqued my curiosity about the NU1. These hybrids are excellent practice pianos when one has the need to keep the volume turned down.

#2014371 - 01/14/13 11:28 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Susan_B Offline

Loc: United States
Dave, I forgot to mention, when I bought my N1, the store manager told me I will need to have the action regulated about every 3 years. You might consider having a Yamaha-trained tuner-technician adjust the action on your N3 before buying a new one.

#2014380 - 01/14/13 11:44 AM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Susan_B]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Susan_B
Dave, I forgot to mention, when I bought my N1, the store manager told me I will need to have the action regulated about every 3 years. You might consider having a Yamaha-trained tuner-technician adjust the action on your N3 before buying a new one.

Susan, I had the action of my GranTouch worked on after I had it for five years or so. It doesn't have to be a 'Yamaha trained tech' per se, a grand action is basically a grand action. At least the hammers don't need to be needled. smile

The GranTouch wasn't too difficult to open. I removed the action several times myself. The AvantGrand poses a slightly more difficult challenge.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2014450 - 01/14/13 01:21 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Susan_B]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Susan_B
These hybrids are excellent practice pianos when has the need to keep the volume turns down.

+1, just that precisely.

They are different instruments IMHO from many digitals, which usually have lots more functions and capabilities. Each to his/her own requirement, and there are many excellent digitals (ignoring the quest on this forum for technical perfection).

I do 'extend' mine and add extra sounds (organs and EP's is what I'm occasionally interested in) by using midi. But my priority is the piano action.

#2014468 - 01/14/13 02:00 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Dave Horne]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
The last time I played on both (N1 and NU1 beside each other) I found I liked the action on the NU1 better. I first time however I preferred the N1.

The order in which I played on them were reversed so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it but I did got back and forth on them. It may be the NU1 floor model was newer and it felt like that action was deeper somehow, the N1 action that time felt overly light.

Anyways, I think my dp upgrade will probably favor the NU1 because of price, looks, and sound. It would be a bonus that I prefer its action as well.

#2014524 - 01/14/13 04:07 PM Re: Yamaha NU1 ... just played one [Re: Vid]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Vid
The last time I played on both (N1 and NU1 beside each other) I found I liked the action on the NU1 better. I first time however I preferred the N1.

In my experience, the second impression is always the one to trust.

Originally Posted By: Vid

. . . . the N1 action that time felt overly light.

Interesting. I've also read the opposite, that the action of the NU1 seems lighter than the N1.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
95 registered (accordeur, Anticlock, AmateurBob, angga888, Anne'sson, 29 invisible), 1337 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325541 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission