Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 188 of 225 < 1 2 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 224 225 >
Topic Options
#2002805 - 12/21/12 06:39 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Thanks printer1. I'm enjoying playing over the changes and making sense out of it. Not too bad at all.

The only issue really is how to execute on the head on the last 4 bars. The rest of the tune is cool. The head of course plays the last 4 bars as a simple arpeggio of the chord tones. So that could be considered the super simplified approach. I really only had a feeling of a loss of a melodic line on the last two chords. I think I have to make it lead well to the F-7b5 and so common tones become a focus.

This is a neat tune. If it didn't go so fast, it wouldn't be that bad. But I think I picked it up quickly.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2002947 - 12/22/12 04:36 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

BTW printer1, On Inner Urge, various versions play it differently so I guess it doesn't help unless I specifically focus ONLY on Joe Henderson's version.

I'm just curious what you play (if you play this tune). One Real book version plays the downward arpeggio as triplet eighths and upwards as a quintuplet 16ths. The other version plays the downward and upward arpeggios mostly as sixteenths (equal up and down). Maybe this is an issue of "expression" since it's a matter of rhythm/timing.

...which kind of tells me, that it can be up to me I suppose since the masters differ.

It's really difficult though to jump from a CMaj7 arpeggio to an AMaj7 arpeggio without a pause. That's my only real problem in this whole tune! It reminds me of some lines in Chopin Etude 10/1. Something similar to that. Man, it shows my weakness at AMaj7 arpeggios. It's not too common in jazz so it's not honed down.

#2003175 - 12/22/12 05:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Jazzwee ... that Chopin Etude has exactly the technique you want to use for those II passages we're discussing. In particular, the II arpeggios (and Chopin's ... and as you know he's got that A major arpeggio in there that's unbelievably clunky to play!)

all that is hard ONLY if you try to connect notes w/finger techniques ... finger techniques as in get the finger to the note and then let the hand follow. Actually, do it the other way ... get the hand (move it laterally across the keyboard) over the general contour of the notes and then let the fingers do their work ... which is just drop onto the keys since the lateral movement of your hand will have placed them where they need to be!

The question of which exact notes to play ... get a few different recordings of Joe Henderson and the compare and kind of conflate what you like best. Having the ability to slow the recordings down is crucial for this (to hear what's going on).

Transcribing ... it's the only way to know exactly what's going on really anywhere! Even if you only transcribe tiny little bit just to clarify (clarify as in "Is it choice A or is it choice B?") it's as definitive as it gets!

Hope this helps!

#2003282 - 12/22/12 11:26 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks printer1! Almost ready to play this. Soloing is fine. Head -- still messing up once in awhile so it just has to ripen. I'm sure to play this in a couple of weeks. It's really fun to solo to.

I have a few woodshed tunes for the holidays (in addition to Inner Urge) -- Waltz for Debby, Along Came Betty, Moment's Notice and a refresh on Very Early, Beatrice. Full plate!

#2003587 - 12/23/12 05:31 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

most excellent!

#2005359 - 12/28/12 08:17 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: Xmas tunes.

Strange things do happen. I got "the" call to sub for a famous bassist, he can't make the gig thanks to living in the countryside (hefty snow out there in the sticks).
A 60+ men's choir (ages from teens to seniors citizens), a jazz pianist, a singer of repute and moi. The concert's taking place in a church built in 1462. We'll be playing: A child is born, Chestnuts roasting, Have yourself a merry little Xmas, Silent Night, Santa Claus is coming to town and a bunch of Swedish traditional songs - all arranged by the pianist.

So I've spent my birthday practising Have yourself in Gb - ahh the horror . . .
:-)

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#2005703 - 12/28/12 05:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Y'all remember Beatrice? When we first tried that sometime ago, I never felt like it clicked. But after working on Inner Urge with all the Lydian modes in it, I started to appreciate what's going on in Beatrice which also has a lot of lydian. I've decided to play that for sure at my next gigs.

Some things I guess just take time for the mind to absorb.

#2005704 - 12/28/12 05:59 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: chrisbell

Strange things do happen. I got "the" call to sub for a famous bassist, he can't make the gig thanks to living in the countryside (hefty snow out there in the sticks).
A 60+ men's choir (ages from teens to seniors citizens), a jazz pianist, a singer of repute and moi. The concert's taking place in a church built in 1462. We'll be playing: A child is born, Chestnuts roasting, Have yourself a merry little Xmas, Silent Night, Santa Claus is coming to town and a bunch of Swedish traditional songs - all arranged by the pianist.

I just looked at it in Gb. Not that bad smile Though it was a pain looking at transposed changes showing Cb...just can't get used to that.

#2005728 - 12/28/12 06:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
Originally Posted By: chrisbell
I just looked at it in Gb. Not that bad smile Though it was a pain looking at transposed changes showing Cb...just can't get used to that.
On the piano, no problem. /though, try and play the head in Gb smile ) But on the double bass its a real pain . . . tricky key to play in tune in. But doable. Still, I felt like Palle-lite . . .

#2005747 - 12/28/12 07:32 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

jazz wee .. beatrice by sam rivers? that's a great tune! have you heard the recording it's from (fusia swing song ... sam rivers, jaki byard, tony willams, ron carter!)

... Gb major on the piano is a very, very nice key because the black keys are always consonant! On double bass, Gb, it's probably a nightmare of a key! No open strings!

#2006074 - 12/29/12 03:20 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
printer1: When I play Beatrice I use the intro from the original recording. It's really simple and nice. Just bass and piano.

#2006116 - 12/29/12 04:33 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

nice jjo!

i gotta dig out that recording. haven't listened to it in a while. but it's up there w/the great ones!

#2006125 - 12/29/12 04:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I'd like to learn the intro. Admittedly I did not pay much attention to it. Maybe we can all post our versions for fun. I'm going to see about making a backing track in BIAB.

#2006164 - 12/29/12 06:17 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Ok guys -- here's a very interesting experiment to listen to. This is BIAB playing Inner Urge. As you all know BIAB comes with a solo generation program that makes really good solos based on cliché vocabulary. I've heard versions that Chris has posted and it has some really good licks in there and some really good logic like repeats and other kinds of motifs.

Inner Urge
https://www.box.com/s/ers62eycuqf70lz05cdq

BUT -- Inner Urge is an example of those tunes that are not rooted in Bebop progressions and it's funny hearing BIAB trying to make standard licks through some of these changes. Doesn't work for me smile Maybe it does for you. But some of it sounds truly vertical playing (Chord by chord without common tone melodies).

So I believe it least in this case, that the computer loses. Well I could be wrong if you think this solo matches some of the versions by Joe Henderson, etc. What I think it misses is that it can't connect common tones in the progression so it looks at each chord independently or as some ii-V progression. Thus, it complicates this tune which I think can be simplified by looking at those common tones and not necessarily the main chord tones. (I think the same of Beatrice BTW). Something I refer to as Horizontal Playing ala Miles Davis (melodies that cross bars).

I would be interested in debates on this issue.

It shows to me at least what the logic of BIAB is. I could actually pick up Bebop vocabulary from BIAB. I'm actually very curious at the contributor of the soloing logic to BIAB. The fact that it can even make realistic sounding Bebop solos better than many aspiring jazz players is amazing. It can't make a mistake, select a wrong note or have a timing/articulation error.

#2006582 - 12/30/12 02:26 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well it was written H in my part smile

#2006583 - 12/30/12 02:30 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Mark Polishook]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: printer1
jazz wee .. beatrice by sam rivers? that's a great tune! have you heard the recording it's from (fusia swing song ... sam rivers, jaki byard, tony willams, ron carter!)

... Gb major on the piano is a very, very nice key because the black keys are always consonant! On double bass, Gb, it's probably a nightmare of a key! No open strings!

You chould have look back in this Topic; a couple of us submitted recordings of Beatrice.

Yeah no open strings, except when we did a Dameron turnaround, Gb Amaj7 Dmaj7 Gmaj7 - saved my bacon. smile

Edited by chrisbell (12/30/12 02:56 PM)

#2010970 - 01/08/13 03:23 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

OK here's my first try of this tune. I messed up the head initially. There's also distracting comping from the guitar player and also the percussionist who's off in time. But this is a jam so I can't really clear them out.

Inner Urge (First Try)
https://www.box.com/s/zbsdoc3n5qz2w8m669km

I'll be playing this again in the next few gigs so we'll see if it gets better, particularly the head.

#2010976 - 01/08/13 03:52 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Same annoying background here plus low piano volume against electric instruments. But in any case here's the last section of Beatrice with my solo.

Beatrice (Excerpt - Jam)
https://www.box.com/s/6ihdjbhnkkyr4soevl2q

#2013205 - 01/12/13 03:49 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Perhaps no one cares but here's another retry on Inner Urge. Getting more comfortable. However, I'm rushing and it's really irritating to hear. I'm disgusted with my myself. The next time I play this, I will be more attentive to the time.

Inner Urge (#2)
https://www.box.com/s/ajyyzsjritdneu20ekux

One thing too. The original head requires 16th notes to be played (upward arpeggio) at 220bpm. Well that's pretty much impossible for me. Maybe you have to be Chick Corea to play it. I listened to Bill Charlap, and he's just ghosting the upward arpeggio (quintuplet 16ths). Just for comparison, the 16ths in Chopin 10/1 Etude is at 170bpm so this is much faster than that. Thus, as I've heard other people do, I've simplified.

Here's another couple of tunes. Same rushing issue.

Dolphin Dance
https://www.box.com/s/09ig7zzh9cvwi0ptt11n

Whisper Not
https://www.box.com/s/5rcvfxzb5vc2r92bp0mg

Edited by jazzwee (01/12/13 04:50 AM)

#2013517 - 01/12/13 03:27 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Happy Birthday knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
It's cool that you decided to play the head on some of the tunes. Very nice!

#2013609 - 01/12/13 06:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Sandra M Offline

Hello and I want to learn more jazz style. So glad I entered the beginners forum to find your wonderful post and thank you. Sandra M

#2013616 - 01/12/13 07:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south

Victor Wooten has some great time exercises that can easily be adapted for piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRmiTta995o

Sometimes rushing can just happen when we play difficult music because we concentrating so hard on playing all the notes or changes that there is not enough brain left for proper concentration on the rhythm. Playing simply is good for groove I think.

#2013710 - 01/12/13 11:12 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beeboss

Victor Wooten has some great time exercises that can easily be adapted for piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRmiTta995o

Sometimes rushing can just happen when we play difficult music because we concentrating so hard on playing all the notes or changes that there is not enough brain left for proper concentration on the rhythm. Playing simply is good for groove I think.

Great Wooten video there! There's an iphone Time Trainer app that does something like that automatically.

True about difficulty being the reason. I'm not rushing on Whisper Not and I'm just rushing a tad at the beginning of Dolphin Dance and then I relax.

Inner Urge -- it takes so much attention to play the head at this time. If you miss a beat, the whole thing is screwed up. So it causes me to tense up. But definitely getting easier. I really like the tune though. Sounds like real jazz especially when played fast.

#2013715 - 01/12/13 11:15 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: knotty

Thanks Knots. I want to do trio gigs so I've got to hone down the heads. I rely too much on the sax player.

#2013762 - 01/13/13 03:22 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: knotty

Thanks Knots. I want to do trio gigs so I've got to hone down the heads. I rely too much on the sax player.

Careful for what you wish for, JW. I love playing trio, but its pretty hard to make it sound good most of the time, and I know that I'm probably the most to blame, even though I like to complain about how the other two should know the tunes better. At least with a sax or other lead instrument it felt like I could contribute without taking too much responsibility.

That being said, I'd always prefer trio over quartet or quintet, pressure and all.

#2013854 - 01/13/13 10:15 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Happy Birthday knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
A few tracks from Friday, 2 standards and one original brought by the sax player:

Nearness of You:
https://www.box.com/s/0vtuynds98yrdxh0tuge

Mr PC
https://www.box.com/s/fts9tqe3k65iqaok0ugq

Original:
https://www.box.com/s/08xwxxmwzwmvesnen1h0

#2013888 - 01/13/13 11:37 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Really enjoyed the Wooten video. It's enough for me, however, just to practice keeping time with one pulse per measure on the metronome. Going multiple measures would be hopeless.

#2013933 - 01/13/13 01:43 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
beeboss Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: jjo
Really enjoyed the Wooten video. It's enough for me, however, just to practice keeping time with one pulse per measure on the metronome. Going multiple measures would be hopeless.

I think the idea is to challenge yourself just a little bit. If the tempo is comfortable then notch the metronome down a couple of clicks, or find some rhythmic challenge in the existing tempo to overcome. This way you can force some improvement to happen. If you just do what is comfortable then it is not enough of a challenge.

#2014068 - 01/13/13 07:49 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I'll give it a go! But for challenges, today I had my Latin Jazz Ensemble class. First, we did Blue Monk, switching between 7/4 and cha cha in 4/4. Then we played Footprints, switching between 6/4 and a 3/2 Rhumba Clave.

#2014115 - 01/13/13 09:38 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted By: jjo
... today I had my Latin Jazz Ensemble class. First, we did Blue Monk, switching between 7/4 and cha cha in 4/4. Then we played Footprints, switching between 6/4 and a 3/2 Rhumba Clave.

I'm curious as to how Blue Monk would sound that way. Was it musical? I love odd meter stuff, but certain tunes with certain melodic aspects shouldn't be used for Latin feel IMHO.

Page 188 of 225 < 1 2 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 224 225 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
125 registered (36251, AndresD, AndrewJCW, Allard, 35 invisible), 1376 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156330 Topics
2295976 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
08/01/14 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
08/01/14 08:16 AM
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission