2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2013932 01/13/13 02:40 PM
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well....I thought that I had lost my "love" for the piano after 11 months of lessons. I had become very frustrated with my lack of progress and no longer enjoyed practice or lessons. Then I decided to drop a piece of music that I had been working on for several weeks, which was apparently the source of my frustration, and go back to Vandall's Prelude No.4 in F Major, a lovely piece of music that my first teacher wanted me to play after only 3 months of lessons...much too difficult then. Anyway, now, I've discovered that I can play it!!!! Which means I have been making some progress with piano lessons after all. Mind you, I can't play it as well as I'd like to and hope to someday...certainly not as well as my former Skype teacher can play it (check it out on youtube http://youtu.be/uHFj0BySkik). That's my goal but I may have to wait til I get to heaven to play like he does.

Anyway...just glad to be back to the land of piano addicts again.

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden
Tech 5 #2013935 01/13/13 02:53 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The habit of playing is very easily lost. I have been playing nonstop for the past 3 years. But in this last month I have barely touched the piano. I got discouraged by low results in my chamber music class. Try as I might I lost a semester trying to master the pieces. Now it's winter vacation and I have no desire to play anything. I never thought this day would come but right now I am not enjoying piano as much as I used to so I am taking a huge break.

Last edited by Teodor; 01/13/13 02:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Tech 5 #2013939 01/13/13 02:55 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Virginia--I had a similar experience (but more like 11 years of lessons rather than 11 months) when I started trying to play a piece that I just couldn’t get. It wasn’t even that hard, but it took the joy away and I had a hard time getting it back. I am hard-headed and want to finish what I started, but I put it away and will try it again in a few years. Glad it worked out for you!

Nancy

Estonia 168
Tech 5 #2013944 01/13/13 03:18 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Tech 5
Well....I thought that I had lost my "love" for the piano after 11 months of lessons. I had become very frustrated with my lack of progress and no longer enjoyed practice or lessons. Then I decided to drop a piece of music that I had been working on for several weeks, which was apparently the source of my frustration, and go back to Vandall's Prelude No.4 in F Major, a lovely piece of music that my first teacher wanted me to play after only 3 months of lessons...much too difficult then. Anyway, now, I've discovered that I can play it!!!! Which means I have been making some progress with piano lessons after all....

Tech 5, good for you for finding out what was causing your unease/frustration and pressing on. Since frustrations will always be there, it's good to learn how to address them and move on!

Teodor wrote, in part:
....I have been playing nonstop for the past 3 years. But in this last month I have barely touched the piano. I got discouraged by low results in my chamber music class....

That is surely a discouragement, but I hope you will regroup and get back to playing soon. From reading your prior posts, I know you have been going at piano full blast. That's good, but please think about reserving some part of your sense of self for things other than piano (that might be heresy here!). Or, to put it another way, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Take a break, take some deep breaths, and then sit down at the piano again and play. Best wishes--Stub.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Teodor #2013949 01/13/13 03:43 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, the first year of playing piano is a really rollercoaster of emotions. That's why I feared quitting when I started. Can't take a rollercoaster of emotions much. Don't despair, it will mellow out and it will last forever. smile

Originally Posted by Teodor
The habit of playing is very easily lost. I have been playing nonstop for the past 3 years. But in this last month I have barely touched the piano. I got discouraged by low results in my chamber music class. Try as I might I lost a semester trying to master the pieces. Now it's winter vacation and I have no desire to play anything. I never thought this day would come but right now I am not enjoying piano as much as I used to so I am taking a huge break.

Dude, you got talent. Go back to the piano right now. No more excuses.

Edit: ( your story have been inspirational for a career change in my life, remember how happy you was when you could study music? )

Last edited by PaperClip; 01/14/13 01:21 AM.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
Tech 5 #2013965 01/13/13 04:13 PM
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
It seems a shame to give up the piano if you have had lessons. My friends daughter had some lessons and was making progress but she decided she did not like the piano enough to continue. Therefore, she stopped having lessons and switched to the violin. She did not like that either and gave it up. She then switched to the clarinet which she likes and has taken some exams in. My friend then sold the piano because nobody else in the family had any interest in it (nobody else could play it or wanted to learn)and since her daughter was adamant that she was never going to play it again,there seemed little point in keeping it.

You have to find the instrument for you.

Tech 5 #2013967 01/13/13 04:17 PM
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Tech 5 - congratulations for making visible progress. Progress comes to those who persevere. When it comes, it comes in reaps and bound. Keep up good work and don't get discouraged.

Teodor - you have made an incredible progress during the first three years of piano life. Hang on and persevere. You will definitely get somewhere. I know you know the road was tough when you embarked on the journey to major in piano. You started out late so you have to leap when others are just trotting. You are experiencing chamber without having years of duet / ensemble experiences. What amazes me is that you are somehow managing it. You will do it great next time. Please focus on what you can learn. What is your weakness? Sight reading? Then work from the difficult bars that has tricky rhythms and notes. All your mistakes and setbacks are just as great experience as your successes to be a good performer and teacher. You are only 20 or so. You have a great future in front of you. I'm nobody but a supporter. Go Teodor!$

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission