2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
How often you encounter a pianist reciting a program where the pieces are, either by accident or not, harmonically linked? Maybe 'harmonically linked' isn't the right term. As in... the key of each piece makes for smooth transitions between them, and the ear very much enjoys it. Have you ever tried to put together a program like this?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
It seems to me that there are many ways that a pianist could conceive this type of program :
- circle of fifths
- circle of fourths
- major/minor/major (C major/A minor; A/major/F-sharp minor; F-sharp major/E-flat minor, etc.,
- chromatically, ascending or descending

but it all sounds pretty artificial and contrived unless there were some other more unifying thread in the program. Otherwise, I would have to ask : why?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
D
Rather than 'harmonically linked', I would suggest looking at the tempo of the pieces. Playing too many slow ones in a row can get a bit sleepy for the listeners, I usually try to alternate between slow/fast pieces when possible for maximun variation.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well, I saw Andras Schiff perform WTC Books I and II. Those are harmonically linked, I guess.

Last edited by Plowboy; 01/10/13 12:16 AM.

Gary
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
at the moment I play in a program Chopin op.57 followed by op.35, D-flat and b-flat, it works, it is a shock by all means, to go from sleeping sweetly into a nightmare, well, it works, the more as the 2 works share a 'common' key and are played without a break (so to speak). In general the audience isn't at all aware of keys, so one is free to play any key, any piece of any period, as long as the program is interesting/musical/worthwile. No one ever minds that Kreisleriana is half an hour of g-minor (bit of relative major).

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I didn't perform these, but I had worked up Chopin's op.10/6 to be followed by op.10/12.

The ending of op.10/6 (with its sudden resolution to Eb major) followed immediately by the crashing G7 opening of op.10/12 was pleasing to me.

-J

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I do op.10 and op.25 and they seem to work better than the lot of op. 28, due to the music rather than the keys I suppose.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Although occasionally pianists choose the order of pieces or the actual pieces based on their keys, in my experience it is extremely rare. I can only think of a handful of concerts in almost 50 years of concert going where this was an obvious consideration. I think most would say this is of such minor importance compared to every other consideration that 99% of concert goers don't care about it.

I agree with other posters who said it's very artificial.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I once heard Richard Goode play a recital the second half of which consisted of Brahms op. 118 (entire) followed by Beethoven op. 111. The transition was very striking. One could say the keys are related in that the second (c minor) is the relative minor of the parallel major of the first (e flat minor.) But more important is that the final chord of the Brahms includes the pitches of the opening octave of the Beethoven.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you consider that a sonata (classical anyhow or neo-classical) have links in their tonalities between movements, I'd say that this is as far as I'd go... I mean a sonata can very well be 25-30 minutes long (especially A Prokofiev one, or a late Beethoven one), so it covers 2/3rds of a 1st half of a program (of, of, of... nice going... heh).

I doubt there's much need for anything else and as others said it would sound rather artificial.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Joel_W
How often you encounter a pianist reciting a program where the pieces are, either by accident or not, harmonically linked? Maybe 'harmonically linked' isn't the right term. As in... the key of each piece makes for smooth transitions between them, and the ear very much enjoys it. Have you ever tried to put together a program like this?

Sometimes this is built into sets of pieces by the composer. For example, most of Rachmaninoff's Op.23 and Op.32 preludes are linked by having a prominent note at the end of one piece appear at or near the beginning of the next piece. Most of Dvořák's Silhouettes, Op. 8 also do this, and I seem to remember that some groups of pieces within Fibich's Moods, Impressions & Souvenirs, Op.41 do it as well.

(Used to post as SlatterFan)
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD
It seems to me that there are many ways that a pianist could conceive this type of program :
- circle of fifths
- circle of fourths
- major/minor/major (C major/A minor; A/major/F-sharp minor; F-sharp major/E-flat minor, etc.,
- chromatically, ascending or descending

but it all sounds pretty artificial and contrived unless there were some other more unifying thread in the program. Otherwise, I would have to ask : why?

I think oftentimes we as listeners will experience the key sequence of pieces in a program as being either musical somewhat logical or maybe not so much, but it is pretty much unconscious (unless it's a group of small pieces - it becomes more obvious, then). I have some not-very-specific memories of concert pianists talking about taking the key relationships of pieces into consideration when planning a program, but it's not like they advertise to the audience that they've done so. I don't see why that kind of planning would be any more "artificial" than any other kind of planning, if it makes sense to the performer.

There are links between Chopin Op. 25, Nos. 5, 6, and 7 (all linked via G-sharps). Charles Rosen pointed that out.

There's also the interesting 'hanging note' that appears at the very start of Op. 25, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Almost a suspension of time.

If one looks hard enough one can probably always find some kind of link(key, motivic, mood, tempo, etc. ad infinitum) between pieces in a recital program or consecutive pieces in a set. But I have serious doubts whether this is usually important. I don't think, except in the case of Sonatas, that the composer or performer always made these links on purpose, but rather that they often "discovered" by someone looking for some kind of link.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by AldenH
[...]
There's also the interesting 'hanging note' that appears at the very start of Op. 25, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Almost a suspension of time.

I certainly wouldn't think of these notes as "... a suspension of time" which, if played as such, would destroy their function. Quite the contrary, these notes are upbeats leading to the mean beat, and should be both conceived and played as such.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission