2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 80 of 190 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 189 190
N
N
Originally Posted by Waltz
Nancy,

I had not heard of the American branch of Canada's Royal Conservatory of Music. Do you know if you will receive the same diploma as the Canadian version? I tried to download the syllabus, but it instructed me to buy it in a local music store...

No idea if it'd be the same smile I haven't seen the syllabus myself yet; the books I'm working on are the "Celebration Series" Repertoire and Studies/Etudes books for level 3. Maybe I'll ask my teacher what is in the syllabus.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am also working, as a long term project, on Clementi's Sonatina op.36 no.1. I sort of have the first movement down, but it needs work. I just began the second movement yesterday.

Me too! Been tinkering with the first section for a couple weeks now. Very slow going, I must say.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
N
N
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano
I am also working, as a long term project, on Clementi's Sonatina op.36 no.1. I sort of have the first movement down, but it needs work. I just began the second movement yesterday.

Me too! Been tinkering with the first section for a couple weeks now. Very slow going, I must say.

I think this is the one my teacher wants me to play for the exam - and learn all three movements. I'll try and find out this wed at my lesson. If that's the case, I'd love to compare notes with you both as we all go through it smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, this is awesome! We three can work through this piece together!

AWTPP, are you playing the third and fourth beats of the "theme" (the repeated motif of the first measure) in staccato? My score has the staccato indication as sort of an optional dynamic, but I think it sounds best that way.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, this is awesome! We three can work through this piece together!

AWTPP, are you playing the third and fourth beats of the "theme" (the repeated motif of the first measure) in staccato? My score has the staccato indication as sort of an optional dynamic, but I think it sounds best that way.

Trying to, but it's not an area of focus right yet. The music does indicate those notes should be played staccato. I am trying to learn (and by learn, I mean "ingrain") the correct fingering of the melody, especially starting in measure 6. Measure 7 (among others) is extremely counter-intuitive for me. I feel like I need to be able to play these things in my sleep, and I'm nowhere close at this time.

And to keep from derailing this as an Alfred's Book 2 discussion... this is much tougher than anything I have seen in Alfreds.

Casio Ap-200
B
B
It seems Theme from the Overture Raymond went pretty smooth, and Light and Blue I found also to be easy, it is very similar style to a blues song in book 1. I'm now on Hungarian Rhapsody #2 which doesn't really seem all that difficult, its just a matter of doing it over and over until the timing is right. It tells you to get gradually faster but if you go too fast it just doesn't sound right.

One note about "Light and Blue" the tremolo at the end of the song? I just can't seem to do it, pianonoob on youtube makes it seems so easy but I just can't seem to do it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bobjr
It seems Theme from the Overture Raymond went pretty smooth, and Light and Blue I found also to be easy, it is very similar style to a blues song in book 1. I'm now on Hungarian Rhapsody #2 which doesn't really seem all that difficult, its just a matter of doing it over and over until the timing is right. It tells you to get gradually faster but if you go too fast it just doesn't sound right.

One note about "Light and Blue" the tremolo at the end of the song? I just can't seem to do it, pianonoob on youtube makes it seems so easy but I just can't seem to do it.

Hi bobjr,

I can definitely relate with how you feel in regards to the tremolo ending in "Light and Blue". I had the same question and faced the same challenges when I was working on this piece. You can see both my original question, and Undone's helpful answers below. Perhaps you'll also find them to be helpful.

You can do it! Best of luck to you.

Key Notes smile

Hi, Can someone please tell me how I should be playing the final (ending) chords in the piece "Light and Blue" on pg. 17 as "Tremolo"? I haven't encounter this technique before so I just wanted to make sure that I'm learning it correctly.

I listened to John Frank's example posted on the first page of this thread (very nice btw JF), as well as try to look for some YouTube videos but couldn't find any.

I recognized that they have an illustration at the bottom right hand corner of pg. 17, and it looks like I should be playing the notes seperately, kind of like an Arpeggio style? Except in this case, play the bB and the D at the same time for the right hand, then the E?

And for the left hand, play the low C first, then the high C?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Key Notes \:\)

Key Notes, I don’t have my music here with me right now but I think I know what you are referring to (or I might be completely off base). I think you have the right idea as far as how the notes are sounded. The fun part comes when you quickly alternate between the high and low notes with each hand. It’s more of a wrist action then a finger action. To start out with you could just play two notes with each hand (1st and 5th fingers) and just keep them going back and forth, then add the additional key to the right hand. Think of a “drum roll” sort of action.

Here’s one clip I found showing how to play a Tremolo with one hand (in a different song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvBiwxpids Just do the same thing with both hands, add the extra note, and your all set. \:\)

Undone

Music speaks where words fails.
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me
New piece:Rock-a My Soul

Nice job with the new piece. What is next for you?

I'm doing Calypso Carnival which has a very easy RH, but a tricky LH. Still unable to record it because of the LH, but will do so hopefully quickly. The interesting thing is that for Book 1, a song was done when the teacher says ok, or whenever I felt it was good enough. Now with Book 2, it's not over till the recording says so! I have no teacher by the way, and I don't think my issue right now is a teacher...I know what I need to do, it just takes time to do it. I will get a teacher after finishing Book 3, or half way through it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
New piece:Rock-a My Soul

Nice job with the new piece. What is next for you?

I'm doing Calypso Carnival which has a very easy RH, but a tricky LH. Still unable to record it because of the LH, but will do so hopefully quickly. The interesting thing is that for Book 1, a song was done when the teacher says ok, or whenever I felt it was good enough. Now with Book 2, it's not over till the recording says so! I have no teacher by the way, and I don't think my issue right now is a teacher...I know what I need to do, it just takes time to do it. I will get a teacher after finishing Book 3, or half way through it.

Cool, I really liked Calypso Carnival.
As far as you needing a teacher, while they are extremely helpful for me, you seem to play very well and musically without, so I'd say go for it. So, once you get your recording you don't play/practice the song anymore?

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
With little time left for anything else, once I'm done with a piece, I only play 2-5 times max the next few days, then move on, which is really a bad idea. I'm thinking of starting a reportoire to include all the pieces I like, so that I can do it on a daily basis and be ready to play it anytime, but I haven't done that yet. I'm doing chords, circle of 5th's, playing by ear, etc., which also takes time.

B
B
Thanks Keynotes, still not having any big success with tremolo but i will get it soon. Hungarian Rhapsody seems to have a few little tricks that i need to work out. Using the 4th finger on the left hand to play the D with the FG doesn't seem to come natural yet and i am supposed to play a B with #2 finger (right hand) and crossover, but since i know this is coming for some reason I been anticipating it and my thumb seems to have a mind of its own and shifts over to D and my #2 finger ends up hitting C instead of B. That is a real tricky spot, easily played on its own.. but when i play the whole song through that is where the problem starts. This one is going to take some patience smile

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Here’s one clip I found showing how to play a Tremolo with one hand (in a different song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvBiwxpids Just do the same thing with both hands, add the extra note, and your all set. \:\)

Undone

Thanks keynotes for the pointer...that was a good 3/4 ballad chord style. I have spent about 2 hours playing Greensleeves using this style, which is good but requires a lot of practice. The one-octave tremolo is something I've done before, but when combined with this chord style it sounded very nice.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Next is You're in My Heart.

Calypso Carnival

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Next is You're in My Heart.

Calypso Carnival

Well done MiM! You have excellent control when you play

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Waltz, you're my guiding light and beacon of hope!!! I really appreciate your opinion because feedback is always great, and when it comes from someone who knows what this is all about and how much effort it takes, it's well appreciated.

I really can't brag (I would love to, don't get me wrong grin ) but I was at this book some 8 years ago, so this is more of a failure on my part to not have continued when I was at it. I'm trying to catch up on all my missed out chances.

So, here goes You're in My Heart, that wasn't hard at all.
You're In My Heart

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Waltz, you're my guiding light and beacon of hope!!! I really appreciate your opinion because feedback is always great, and when it comes from someone who knows what this is all about and how much effort it takes, it's well appreciated.

I really can't brag (I would love to, don't get me wrong grin ) but I was at this book some 8 years ago, so this is more of a failure on my part to not have continued when I was at it. I'm trying to catch up on all my missed out chances.

So, here goes You're in My Heart, that wasn't hard at all.
You're In My Heart

No problem MiM! That is what this thread is all about, supporting each other through the tough process of playing piano. Great job on You're in my Heart. Nice soft touch smile

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks Waltz.

Here is Divertimento in D

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
MiM, you sre really flying through these. I'm still trying to get a good feel for Introduction and Dance, a piece which, try as I might, I just can't develop an appreciation for.

That and I am playing this Clementi piece over and over again, in preparation for lessons tonight.

Casio Ap-200
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
AWtPP, some of these pieces I have tried before, so it was almost like a review. The new ones of late were You're in My Heart and Calypso Carnival. Divertimento in D is one I attacked before, but not very successfully. In fact, let me take a look and list the ones that I have done before: Brahms Lullaby, Village Dance, Hava Nagila, messed around a little with Space Shuttle Blues, and the Magic Piper, that's it! I hope I don't slow down too much with the new ones coming up.

Another thing is that you do get better with time, no doubt about that. I noticed that with some of the new pieces... some took me an hour or so to do for the first time. Good luck all.

wj3 Offline
Boy I aggree. MiM you are really flying.....And playing them so well too. Good job... I am still stuck on Guantamamera.. I guess I am a little too picky but I can't get it to sound right yet... Maybe I'll move on soon.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
Page 80 of 190 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission