2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Actually, I agree with you that the SN sound can be very nice sounding in a jazz tune. But the "usual" sound I hear in modern music is the bright one, and therefore SN sound used for such music could appear unexpectedley dull. Just because of what we become biased to by everydays noise exposure.
And I also agree with you that I have to accent the melody line over a bass line quite noticable. I thought this would be normal, I read about this in my method books as well, where they usually reference to acoustic pianos. Wasn´t aware that this on the ROLANDs is more evident than on other pianos - well, there is always something to learn.

H
H
Originally Posted by Marco M
But the "usual" sound I hear in modern music is the bright one, and therefore SN sound used for such music could appear unexpectedley dull.

I listen mostly to solo piano. So what I refered to as "jazz" (harmonically rich and rhytmically interesting modern piano pieces, no background "fog" of other instruments) can be only a small subset of what is commonly known as jazz. I played a few things for which I knew the "ground truth" - professional acoustic recording - and I really liked what I heard from the HP, especially in moments when bass lines needed to be emphasized.

Originally Posted by Marco M
Wasn´t aware that this on the ROLANDs is more evident than on other pianos - well, there is always something to learn.

I would say it's more evident on most DPs than on most acoustics, because of the short decay time of DPs. The melody simply fades too quickly. Apart from that, on the Roland HP I played, I had to EQ the hights very strongly to keep up with the bass, mainly when playing over speakers. The negative side effect is that EQing also amplifies high overtones in bass notes, rendering them less pleasant. On Kawai CA95 you can increase volume of individual keys (as opposed to frequency), which could do do trick on Roland HPs. Ironically it is not neccassary on CA95 because tones are very balanced volume-wise.

C
C
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

Are you kidding ? Yamahas are far far brighter then Roland's dark woody Steinway based tonality.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what kind of sound that Roland was set to. It may have used some fancier setting to make it sound brighter than usual. At any rate, what I described was only my impression on the sound and me and the shop assistant actually agreed on that.

Not at all Roland currently offer a far more authentic sound and action then any other brand.

I don't dare judge this as I have never played a piano before but I consider these aspects very subjective and it seems that some people here beg to differ.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Not at all Roland currently offer a far more authentic sound and action then any other brand.

Sound, maybe.
Action, no way.

James
x

I said sound and action .... Yeah the MP10 has a better action .... VST'S have a better sound. Even the CP1 has a better all round vibe when your playing it.
But in my view the RD700NX has the best all round combination of sound and action. With the studio grand being the best voice on any shipping DP and the PHAIII being probably the 2nd most realistic action.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure I follow you:

Roland currently offer a far more authentic sound and action then any other brand.

...but...

...the MP10 has a better action...

You're contradicting yourself, surely?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
H
I believe Dr Popper means "sound and action" when evaluated together as a bundle, not separately. Other pianos may have better sound OR action but not both (my understanding of Dr's statement).

Last edited by Hookxs; 01/14/13 07:30 AM.
Ah, I see.

Yeah, well...[grumble]

James
x

K
K

Sound, maybe.
Action, no way.

James
x

If they could only marry the SuperNATURAL sound engine with a Kawai wooden action (like the new GF), I'd be in heaven.... 3hearts

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
P
P
Originally Posted by Hookxs
[quote=Marco M]When people refer to Roland sound as muffled, they typically mean the speaker system. In headphones, it is not muffled at all. I agree that Rolands SN is mellower/warmer than Kawai/Yamaha.
What I found difficult was to carry a high melodic line over bass accompaniment, often present in romantic pieces. The melody either wasn't there from the beginning (as opposed to bass) or died too quickly.

Interesting, I have quite a different experience - I used to play on upright (although I did not play for some years), but I do not seem to do anything differently with high melodic line, while the bass line I have to highlight more - the reason is that Roland's action is somewhat heavier than upright.
I do not like long notes dying before they need to die on digitals - but it is the way it is frown

As for the speaker system on Roland, I actually enjoy experience through the speakers on my HP-507 more than from headphones - the reason is that some functions like reverb, soundboard behavier, hammer noise, may be a few more, are not available through headphones - but they make playing experience richer and less 'digital'.
I like their Sound Projection system too smile

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Ah, I see.

Yeah, well...[grumble]

James
x

wink

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by KLSinCT

Sound, maybe.
Action, no way.

James
x

If they could only marry the SuperNATURAL sound engine with a Kawai wooden action (like the new GF), I'd be in heaven.... 3hearts

K.

Get yourself a Integra - 7 and wait a few weeks wink

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Hookxs
I believe Dr Popper means "sound and action" when evaluated together as a bundle, not separately. Other pianos may have better sound OR action but not both (my understanding of Dr's statement).

Your correct except that no DP has a better piano patch the Roland's SN Studio grand. It's technically perfect and its tonality is superb. You have to go to a VST to get anything that's a more complete patch and even then it's better then most VST's.

Last edited by Dr Popper; 01/14/13 08:51 AM.

Get yourself a Integra - 7 and wait a few weeks wink

That'll work. wink

I actually suggested shooting some pics of the Integra-7 placed on top of the VPC - no takers.

Your correct except that no DP has a better piano patch the Roland's SN Studio grand. It's technically perfect and its tonality is superb. You have to go to a VST to get anything that's a more complete patch and even then it's better then most VST's.

Are we including Nords here too?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Are we including Nords here too?

Yes James .... while a nord XL sample might have great tonality ( and many do ) the patches aren't technically good enough to compete with a SN patch.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission