Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
84 registered (Artur Gajewski, anamnesis, Al LaPorte, András Lieber, 36251, 24 invisible), 1317 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2014308 - 01/14/13 09:37 AM Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440
boyonahill Offline

Loc: Europe
Hi,

There isn't that much talk about the CP5 as an alternative to a Yamaha Clavinova CLP, for example the CLP-440? I'm wondering why?

So, if we disregard that one needs to buy speakers (amp and stand) for a CP5, how does the piano sound and keyboard etc. of the CP5 compare to a similarly priced Clavinova, where I live the CLP-440 has almost the exact same price.

Since I've got OK speakers (or at least once that will be OK for a while) the price for the two would be the same.

CLP-440 pros
* Key-Off, String Resonance and Stereo Sustain samples

CP5 pros
* SCM (Spectral Component Modeling) technology
* NW-STAGE wooden weighted keyboard

So, how would you say the two compares focused on acoustic piano usage?

Edited by boyonahill (01/14/13 09:38 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2014333 - 01/14/13 10:28 AM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: boyonahill]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Confidentially ..... The actual sound is almost the same That D/A and effects chain of the CP5 is much better and it has a second piano (S6) with a darker flavour but the basic sample set underpinning both boards is identical. If you like the Yamaha sound then the CP5 is a excellent choice.

#2014352 - 01/14/13 11:00 AM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: boyonahill]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
The 'wooden' action in this instance is merely cosmetic. If you played the various keyboard actions you wouldn't be able to pick out the wooden one with your eyes closed.

It's another item to be placed on a comparative list just like Spectral Component Modeling.

Just play the various keyboards and buy what you like. You're not going to be buried with it. In a few years you'll be tempted to trade it in and buy something with newer technology ... even if there's not much of an audible improvement.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2014445 - 01/14/13 01:15 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: Dr Popper]
boyonahill Offline

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Confidentially ..... The actual sound is almost the same That D/A and effects chain of the CP5 is much better and it has a second piano (S6) with a darker flavour but the basic sample set underpinning both boards is identical. If you like the Yamaha sound then the CP5 is a excellent choice.

OK! I think the CP5 looks way more modern, the CLP:s look a little 1990:s. Shallow, I am.

Any ideas on how or what product to use as stand with the CP5? Since I'm almost entirely am going to use it at home I'm thinking I'll place it on some kind of small table? I hate wobbly cheap X-stands but I'm open for input that there might be some great portable stands or something like that out there.

#2014448 - 01/14/13 01:17 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: Dave Horne]
boyonahill Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
The 'wooden' action in this instance is merely cosmetic. If you played the various keyboard actions you wouldn't be able to pick out the wooden one with your eyes closed.

It's another item to be placed on a comparative list just like Spectral Component Modeling.

Just play the various keyboards and buy what you like. You're not going to be buried with it. In a few years you'll be tempted to trade it in and buy something with newer technology ... even if there's not much of an audible improvement.

Thanks for helping me stay real! I easily get caught up in details, and as you say I might want to switch in some years anyway.

But I think I'll be able to pick a wood action keyboard with my eyes closed. Because even if the core is plastic, I can smell the wooden smell with my nose!

#2014550 - 01/14/13 05:09 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: boyonahill]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
It's perhaps worth noting that unlike the CLP models, the CP5 and CP1 keyboard actions are not grade-weighted from bass to treble.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2014553 - 01/14/13 05:20 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: Kawai James]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
It's perhaps worth noting that unlike the CLP models, the CP5 and CP1 keyboard actions are not grade-weighted from bass to treble.

Kind regards,
James
x

James, you say that like it's a bad thing. smile

A graded action on a digital keyboard makes the top octaves even lighter than the already light weight of the rest of the keyboard. This is just more advertising hype.

If you want a real acoustic action buy an acoustic piano or a hybrid. The manufacturers of digital keyboards bend over backwards to sell the public that what they offer is an approximation of the real thing.

These are all the types of check listed items conscientious buyers check off on their list of must have features.

They use real fancy descriptions of how they capture the sound of an acoustic grand ... just play the keyboards and judge them using your ears and the way the action responds to your touch.

The only action you really need is a weighted action.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2014570 - 01/14/13 06:00 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: Dave Horne]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
A graded action on a digital keyboard makes the top octaves even lighter than the already light weight of the rest of the keyboard. This is just more advertising hype.

Surely you meant the other way around, right? (that the bottom octaves are heavier than the already heavy weight of a standard digital.) By far the more common complaint in this forum (and in my experience) is that digital keys are heavier than their acoustic equivalents--very few people complain of them being lighter.

I've also had the personal sense that digitals are not graded enough to mimic their acoustic brethren. When you play in the very top octave of an acoustic the keys practically play themselves because so little force is required (the fact that you are not lifting a damper may be part of this). I have never had that sensation on a digital. The top octaves seem quite a bit too heavy to mimic an acoustic.

I do agree with the sentiment of your post. The Yamaha NW-stage action tries much less hard to be acoustic-like but yet is much beloved. It's probably closer to the ergonomic ideal than acoustics are.

Edited by gvfarns (01/14/13 06:01 PM)

#2014577 - 01/14/13 06:15 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: boyonahill]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I suggest that those who think that the actions of digital keyboards are too heavy give up playing their keyboards and play exclusively on unmaintained grands, the ones that frequent many hotels and restaurants. smile

There are so many folks here who have never played a real piano, you know, the ones that still exist in the wild. We still receive questions about the top two octaves that are undamped. Is this a flaw?

I have never played a digital keyboard action that was too heavy. The best that I played was the CP300 ... and probably also the Roland A80. The Fatar actions in the Nord keyboards are not wonderful. People have forgotten what a great action really feels like.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2014586 - 01/14/13 06:32 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: gvfarns]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns

Surely you meant the other way around, right? (that the bottom octaves are heavier than the already heavy weight of a standard digital.) By far the more common complaint in this forum (and in my experience) is that digital keys are heavier than their acoustic equivalents--very few people complain of them being lighter.

I've also had the personal sense that digitals are not graded enough to mimic their acoustic brethren. When you play in the very top octave of an acoustic the keys practically play themselves because so little force is required (the fact that you are not lifting a damper may be part of this). I have never had that sensation on a digital. The top octaves seem quite a bit too heavy to mimic an acoustic.

Among acoustics, I find that some high-end manufacturers like Fazioli strive to minimize this grading, which is one of the more undesirable 'artifacts' of the acoustic piano action. Fazioli grands have rather less difference between the bottom notes and the top ones, compared to cheaper brands.

The worst 'offender' I've played in this regard was a Yamaha baby grand at a holiday resort that I stayed in two years ago - the bottom keys were really inordinately heavy. After two weeks of playing on it for 2-3 hours/day (in between sunbathing and scuba-diving grin), I returned home and immediately paid a visit to the Fazioli showroom.......what a contrast (and what a relief)!

#2014610 - 01/14/13 07:33 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: Dave Horne]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Kind regards,
James
x

James, you say that like it's a bad thing. smile

No, I'm just pointing out that the two keyboard actions have different weighting characteristics.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2014652 - 01/14/13 09:49 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: boyonahill]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
The big Yammies have only a very slight grading .... I'd think my CF is only a few % heavier at the bottom then the top. DP's seem to have more severe gradings.

#2014686 - 01/14/13 11:25 PM Re: Yamaha CP5 vs the Clavinova CLP range for example CLP-440 [Re: boyonahill]
boyonahill Offline

So, to make the digital pianos feel like real acoustic pianos, the manufacturers make them "Hyper real". Keys so heavy they are "too heavy", so graded that they are too graded. So what you end up with isn't "real" at all.

The same thing exists with movies. When they make computer-animated movies, the physics are programmed to be NOT real, but what the director thinks the viewers think is real, or expect. We end up with unrealistic physics.

Another "heavy is good" trend exists in wristwatches, where many watches have become annoyingly heavy!

So, how about some good tips how to place/stage a stage piano in a home/studio enviroment?

Edited by boyonahill (01/14/13 11:26 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mark your calendars!
by Rich Galassini
11/26/14 07:30 AM
Why single tone intonation came from Russia but not USA?
by Hakki
11/26/14 06:46 AM
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
11/26/14 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159360 Topics
2340942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission