Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 189 of 222 < 1 2 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 221 222 >
Topic Options
#2014122 - 01/13/13 09:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: knotty
A few tracks from Friday, 2 standards and one original brought by the sax player:

Nearness of You:
https://www.box.com/s/0vtuynds98yrdxh0tuge

Mr PC
https://www.box.com/s/fts9tqe3k65iqaok0ugq

Original:
https://www.box.com/s/08xwxxmwzwmvesnen1h0

Nice Knots! Are you a sideman here? I hear the sax player calling the tunes. It's great hanging out with a good player.

I found a super-nice sax guy here that's really super good but I haven't gigged with him (other than playing at a jam). But I'm not going to abandon my current sax player for him. I probably couldn't afford him anyway. I'm starting on my 3rd year with the same band members. At least I know what it's like to play with someone in the world-class category.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2014124 - 01/13/13 09:54 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Mark Polishook]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: printer1
Jazzwee ... that Chopin Etude has exactly the technique you want to use for those II passages we're discussing. In particular, the II arpeggios (and Chopin's ... and as you know he's got that A major arpeggio in there that's unbelievably clunky to play!)

Hey printer1, I'm actually able to play those upward arpeggios now. I was trying to articulate every single note (just like in Chopin 10/1). That didn't work here for me. But what did work was just to play it like a chord. Then I broke it slightly. Meaning I keep a fixed hand shape on the upward arpeggio. Then it was simple. I was working too hard on this.

I think it was confusing trying to read what the notation meant, and every variation thereof.

#2014128 - 01/13/13 10:00 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: scepticalforumguy
Originally Posted By: jazzwee
It's cool that you decided to play the head on some of the tunes. Very nice!

Thanks Knots. I want to do trio gigs so I've got to hone down the heads. I rely too much on the sax player.

Careful for what you wish for, JW. I love playing trio, but its pretty hard to make it sound good most of the time, and I know that I'm probably the most to blame, even though I like to complain about how the other two should know the tunes better. At least with a sax or other lead instrument it felt like I could contribute without taking too much responsibility.

That being said, I'd always prefer trio over quartet or quintet, pressure and all.

I'm doing a quartet with a guitar player every month and I play the heads so I'm carrying a lot of the load now. Gotta learn to pace myself on the longer solos. My solo on Whisper Not was long...

https://www.box.com/s/5rcvfxzb5vc2r92bp0mg

...but I didn't really build up.

I don't believe I have to overdo this. I get appreciative claps when I just take it easy. I didn't even play 16ths all night (I think my hands were too cold --been extra cold in SoCal lately).

I think it's more important to play in the pocket than it is to be doing anything particularly complex harmonically, etc.

#2014147 - 01/13/13 11:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC

I'm doing a quartet with a guitar player every month and I play the heads so I'm carrying a lot of the load now. Gotta learn to pace myself on the longer solos. My solo on Whisper Not was long...

https://www.box.com/s/5rcvfxzb5vc2r92bp0mg

...but I didn't really build up.

No, you didn't but, some of the lines are sounding really good now. It's a hard tune with the shifting of Cm, Gm, Dm and trying to tie that all together. When it works it's pretty satisfying, huh?
Originally Posted By: JW

I don't believe I have to overdo this. I get appreciative claps when I just take it easy.

Or in this case when the entire band stops dead at the end of your solo. wink What happened there?!?

Also, why not put the zoom in front of or on top of your amp? I'd rather hear what you are doing more, than have the drums or bass so loud. Believe me, you'll still hear everyone else in the mix.

#2014158 - 01/13/13 11:46 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Fortunately, Whisper Not is a tune that makes you sound good just because of the changes (minor ii-V's).

Reason for stop: Bass solo, but he then went to the drummer to do a solo. But what the heck, I didn't know that till it happened.

Also the Sax player didn't overplay either. Just lots of space and it worked for the first time. Usually, the sax player overdoes this tune leaving it too busy.

When I tried to do sixteenths, I found I was stiff that day. So I couldn't execute on a build up. So the solution is to start with a LOT less so there's room for some contrast even if it's just simple. The problem is that I've been playing with a Quintet most of the time and I typically only play two choruses of a solo. Trio thinking is a little different. Shaping a solo was a low priority before. But of course not now.

I have to learn to hold back. Relax. And feel the pulse.

RECORDING -- BTW recorder was closest to me and pointing at me. But I don't like my volume to be disproportionate to a real piano. It just bothers my senses. Anyway, I must have adjusted the volume because Dolphin Dance piano was much louder. Too loud in fact.

Edited by jazzwee (01/13/13 11:49 PM)

#2014167 - 01/14/13 12:10 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lower Mainland, BC
Fortunately, Whisper Not is a tune that makes you sound good just because of the changes (minor ii-V's).

I guess I've had a different view of this tune then. I've always felt it to be a bit elusive trying to tie together the Cm to Gm to Dm and make it sound like something musical. At a basic theory level it seems pretty easy, but to my ears there's many bad melodic choices to be made in this tune.

Originally Posted By: jw

RECORDING -- BTW recorder was closest to me and pointing at me. But I don't like my volume to be disproportionate to a real piano. It just bothers my senses. Anyway, I must have adjusted the volume because Dolphin Dance piano was much louder. Too loud in fact.

How odd. It sounds like its from some distance of at least 5 feet. Get it closer if this is the case and we'll hear a bit better sound from your amp. You don't need to turn up, just get yourself into the mix for the recording more.

#2014241 - 01/14/13 05:31 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
A few tracks from Friday, 2 standards and one original brought by the sax player:

Nearness of You:
https://www.box.com/s/0vtuynds98yrdxh0tuge

Mr PC
https://www.box.com/s/fts9tqe3k65iqaok0ugq

Original:
https://www.box.com/s/08xwxxmwzwmvesnen1h0

Hey Knots
Thanks for posting Nearness of You. You're great at these ballads in a major key. It can't be easy to play ballads.
You listen so well to the sax when you comp.
Very nice solo too, and I like your clear signalling during your outro when you hand back over to the sax.

Hi Bee
Welcome back from the Himalayas or Antarctica or where-ever you were MIA.
A friend saw Victor Wooten live in Sydney with Bela Fleck in Sydney a few years ago. What a talented bassist.

#2014294 - 01/14/13 09:00 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
JW,
Thanks, yes I got called in for this gig. Back in 2 months. Looking forward to it. More originals, which is great. I just hope he will give us charts a little more in advance. The original posted here is not really hard but it has a sharp turn on the bridge that I kept missing. It's also 3 pages long and I forgot my music stand... but let's just say a little more time would have been nice.

Cus,
Thanks for your nice comments. I like short and sweet ballads. I like solos with a lot of space, it's easier to complement.

#2014309 - 01/14/13 09:40 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Blue Monk wasn't bad. You have to alter the rhythm of the melody to fit 7/4, but then it works reasonably well. We actually played a 7/4 pattern for the first 8 bars, than then swung the last four bars in 4. For the 7/4 pattern, we played on beats 1, 2 and 3, and the ands of 4, 5 and 6. That's a pretty easy pattern to groove on. This was just a fun class exercise, but everyone enjoyed playing it.

#2014620 - 01/14/13 08:12 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

JW,
Thanks, yes I got called in for this gig. Back in 2 months. Looking forward to it. More originals, which is great. I just hope he will give us charts a little more in advance. The original posted here is not really hard but it has a sharp turn on the bridge that I kept missing. It's also 3 pages long and I forgot my music stand... but let's just say a little more time would have been nice.

I've only worked as a sideman once. I just calculated that I had roughly 40 gigs last year. I already on a trend to have more this year and all of them are with me as leader.

I really like being able to control the set list. It makes me confident that I get enough time to woodshed.

#2015173 - 01/15/13 10:34 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Jazzwee ... that Chopin Etude has exactly the technique you want to use for those II passages we're discussing. In particular, the II arpeggios (and Chopin's ... and as you know he's got that A major arpeggio in there that's unbelievably clunky to play!)

Hey printer1, I'm actually able to play those upward arpeggios now. I was trying to articulate every single note (just like in Chopin 10/1). That didn't work here for me. But what did work was just to play it like a chord. Then I broke it slightly. Meaning I keep a fixed hand shape on the upward arpeggio. Then it was simple. I was working too hard on this.

I think it was confusing trying to read what the notation meant, and every variation thereof.

Just a funny comment I got today. We're playing Inner Urge again in a couple of days and after weeks of woodshedding, my guitar player just labeled the head IMPOSSIBLE. LOL.

In the meantime, I finally got to play it as written. Whew! I think it took me a month to unravel. So anyone here tried playing this head? Got to be the hardest I've encountered so far.

#2015267 - 01/16/13 03:27 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
[
So anyone here tried playing this head? Got to be the hardest I've encountered so far.

It's a tough one, those kind of things are much easier to play on sax than on piano (or guitar). If necessary I would just adjust the tune slightly, call it interpretation. The changes are tough as well, especially hard to get something sounding good on the chords at the end I think. Good for pentatonic practicing though.

#2015288 - 01/16/13 05:37 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
Jazzwee! Good work! So you got it!

For your guitar player, here's how it can go on guitar (Mike Stern on guitar) and he's playing it in unison with piano. Not bad ... smile

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/MauricioDeSouza

You can hear is MS DOESN"T articulate every note. That's key for anyone playing this head (guitar, piano, violin, accordion, whatever ...)

What I'm not saying is the head is easy. Am I'm NOT saying you have to be at the level of MS (or JH) to play it. But doable? ... yes. the head is doable! As you've now found!

Hope this helps!

http://www.polishookstudio.com - The Blog of the Improvised Line
mark@polishookstudio.com

#2015293 - 01/16/13 06:18 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Thanks, jazzwee,
The postings have lots of information that I can cut and paste and try - and use for a reference. I have a minor surgery that will slow me down for about a week, and then I will be up to full speed. But all the posters including yourself keeping the threat alive especially helps those of us who are trying to get our feet wet in jazz and appreciate the help and support to all of us as we grow with jazz. Thanks.

#2015302 - 01/16/13 06:45 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jazzwee! The (EXCELLENT!) way you're playing IU (now) is also the way to play that chopin etude (10/1)! Exactly as u describe for IU!

But, if you did (whatever the reason) want to articulate every note (in either) IE OR 10/1, then do all you've described AND let your hand BOUNCE from note 2 note... Bounce as if your fingers were endlessly skipping stones!

IU feels 'good' in the hand smile .... yes?

mark@polishookstudio.com

#2015436 - 01/16/13 11:48 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hey Printer1 -- somehow Chopin 10/1 felt different. IU needed more finger strength. Chopin has a lot of arm movement while this one does not. I had to play a little of 10/1 to see the difference.

As I mentioned before, I had success only when playing it as a chord first and then breaking the chord.

One of the technique issues in 10/1 was to not pre-stretch the fingers and just bounce as you say. But I couldn't do that here. There was no time. So I just pre-stretched to the chord shape. I realize this adds tension but there was no other way for me to do it. I think I'd have to work backward on the tension thing.

I listened to some other pianists play the head and can hear that they don't do it perfectly either so I don't feel so bad. But I'm glad I got it. BTW my Sax player has been practicing this too and hasn't figured it out either too. So apparently it's not easy on Sax either.

But apparently it comes -- just with a little patience.

#2015440 - 01/16/13 11:56 AM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: beeboss]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beeboss

It's a tough one, those kind of things are much easier to play on sax than on piano (or guitar). If necessary I would just adjust the tune slightly, call it interpretation. The changes are tough as well, especially hard to get something sounding good on the chords at the end I think. Good for pentatonic practicing though.

Yes, the last eight bars are pretty easy with pentatonics. I'm amazed at some people that come up with some really nice lines on that. I'm actually ok with most of the changes. It's starting to gel. It's the last 4 bars that is really hard to hear melodically.

To be specific, you go from C Major to A Major to Bb7 to G. There's nothing I have played prior that gives me any concept of how to approach this. So at the moment, I've attacked it with triad shapes.

I may have to transcribe to get some fresh ideas.

I just heard Austin Peralta play this at some blistering tempo...

#2015444 - 01/16/13 12:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Mark Polishook]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Jazzwee! Good work! So you got it!

For your guitar player, here's how it can go on guitar (Mike Stern on guitar) and he's playing it in unison with piano. Not bad ... smile

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/MauricioDeSouza

You can hear is MS DOESN"T articulate every note. That's key for anyone playing this head (guitar, piano, violin, accordion, whatever ...)

What I'm not saying is the head is easy. Am I'm NOT saying you have to be at the level of MS (or JH) to play it. But doable? ... yes. the head is doable! As you've now found!

Hope this helps!

Wow to do that in Unison! But as you can hear, you can't unison those arpeggios perfectly.

When I started, I didn't articulate the upward arpeggio like most. I'm articulating it now. If I were giving advice on how to play this, I would say like you -- DON'T articulate the upward arpeggio initially. It gave me a sense of the time required to be filled so I don't rush it.

This was a fun little project! I'm glad I did this.

I've played this live twice now and will play it again tomorrow. We'll see if I get better (and not rush).

#2015574 - 01/16/13 03:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

jazz wee ... sounds like you got quite a bit from this all in all! so, really, it just comes down to KEEP playing it! it's really really interesting as you've been describing your IU learning curve. .... bit by bit, we all get to see how your persistence (your own inner urge? .... sorry! a bad pun!) led o all kinds of solutions.

maybe worth saying ..... most of us try to be as technically perfect as we can. but, things like IE show it's not always necessary or even desirable. ... if mike stern and that pianist aren't totally in sync, well ... that's a message in of itself ...

technique in the end is what helps you to play great music but technique on it's own isn't great music! jim mcneely said in an interview somewhere that great great players that people talk about as in "they can sightread anything" ... sometimes said in the vernacular as "they can read fly [censored]!" ... well, JM says yes, there are those that can read that really really detailed stuff. and he also says that's what it often sounds like. FS! because it's technically perfect but that's all. so for him, those kinds of players *aren't* the interesting ones with whom he likes to work ...

those chords in IU in thirds ... ... triad shapes (as you mention) and pentatonics are really good for that. they make playing on those kinds of chords really easy (well, easier .... ) chick corea's "now he sings, now he sobs" has a ton of chord progressions like that. and chick just plays pentatonics over them!~

hope this helps but more importantly great to hear about what you're learning from IU ... it's helping all of us!

mark@polishookstudio.com

#2015582 - 01/16/13 03:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Mark Polishook]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

it's really really interesting as you've been describing your IU learning curve. .... bit by bit, we all get to see how your persistence (your own inner urge? .... sorry! a bad pun!) led o all kinds of solutions.

smile Well for awhile no one was responding so I thought everyone was bored. LOL. Or -- I had to think later -- no one else plays this.

I do think that handling challenging tunes is how we accelerate our learning. It might take a while before I can play this in my sleep, but the journey itself is fun.

Any other tunes to recommend that are fun to play but extra challenging?

Some I've played before but have forgotten are Tones for Jones Bones and Along Came Betty. I played Very Early yesterday and it's starting to sound better than my early tries a couple of years ago.

Another tune I'm starting is Night Dreamer (Shorter). Sax head though.

Edited by jazzwee (01/16/13 03:50 PM)

#2015594 - 01/16/13 04:08 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
jazzwee. I'd recommend some Bud Powell tunes for challenge. As I think I wrote elsewhere, I've learned Celia and it's been a lot of fun. I also got a transcription, so I learned Bud Powell's left hand for the head, as well. Un Poco Loco would be a real challenge, but that would also take a lot of practice time with the band. Joy Spring was a pretty tough head, too. What's nice about these tunes is that the changes are easy, so once you've played the head, the blowing is no big deal. I'm with you that learning tough heads is the most entertaining way to improve technique.

Funny you should mention Night Dreamer. My bass player wanted to play that, but we're a piano trio and I told him I just didn't think we could make is sound right without a sax. You need the piano player knocking out the chordal riff underneath the melody. Happens a lot where my bass player hears a tune and he hears rhythm and melody, but doesn't have a sense of what can work with just a piano trio.

#2015639 - 01/16/13 05:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

jazz wee, those are all excellent (and challenging) tunes that you mention. in terms of benny golson - stablemates has some interesting difficulties. IU in 12 keys would be an interesting learn. or you might get the original joe henderson album (maybe you have it already) and go through all of the other tunes it has. that'll give you a pretty good sense of what JH was hearing back in IU days.

or, bud powell stuff, as jjo says, is always amazing. there are all kinds tricky little things in that go in unexpected ways.

another great jazz composer is herbie nichols. anything by him is fabulous!

mark@polishookstudio.com

#2015705 - 01/16/13 06:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jjo]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jjo
jazzwee. I'd recommend some Bud Powell tunes for challenge. As I think I wrote elsewhere, I've learned Celia and it's been a lot of fun. I also got a transcription, so I learned Bud Powell's left hand for the head, as well. Un Poco Loco would be a real challenge, but that would also take a lot of practice time with the band. Joy Spring was a pretty tough head, too. What's nice about these tunes is that the changes are easy, so once you've played the head, the blowing is no big deal. I'm with you that learning tough heads is the most entertaining way to improve technique.

Funny you should mention Night Dreamer. My bass player wanted to play that, but we're a piano trio and I told him I just didn't think we could make is sound right without a sax. You need the piano player knocking out the chordal riff underneath the melody. Happens a lot where my bass player hears a tune and he hears rhythm and melody, but doesn't have a sense of what can work with just a piano trio.

Joy Spring is definitely a head that I shouldn't ignore. The tune itself I've practiced on without the head. Which reminds me, I've forgotten how to play the head to Donna Lee. No one calls it at a jam and it is one of the most difficult long heads.

I'll check out the others. But these are just difficult heads but not necessarily difficult tunes. Reminds me of Ceora (Lee Morgan). I "assigned" the head long time ago to my sax player so I never had to play it. I cheated. Now I can't play it in trio. It's easy after the head.

#2015721 - 01/16/13 07:07 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

JW,

I agree with what the guys are saying, learning these heads accurately really helps.

If you want a tough one, try Lennie's Pennies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l8V5lBAOcA
Head starts at 3:47.

The changes are some of the best to blow on. We call it the tune with "no exit sign". It's so hard to stop playing it.

#2015741 - 01/16/13 07:37 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Mark Polishook]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

jazz wee, those are all excellent (and challenging) tunes that you mention. in terms of benny golson - stablemates has some interesting difficulties. IU in 12 keys would be an interesting learn. or you might get the original joe henderson album (maybe you have it already) and go through all of the other tunes it has. that'll give you a pretty good sense of what JH was hearing back in IU days.

or, bud powell stuff, as jjo says, is always amazing. there are all kinds tricky little things in that go in unexpected ways.

another great jazz composer is herbie nichols. anything by him is fabulous!

Stablemates -- yes! Benny Golson has really great tunes. Saw him live doing Along Came Betty.

I remember now that I started on Con Alma. Easy head but the changes are unusual. I haven't tried playing this yet.

#2015745 - 01/16/13 07:44 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

JW,

I agree with what the guys are saying, learning these heads accurately really helps.

If you want a tough one, try Lennie's Pennies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l8V5lBAOcA
Head starts at 3:47.

The changes are some of the best to blow on. We call it the tune with "no exit sign". It's so hard to stop playing it.

Cool! Changes aren't hard. They're just playing it so fast.

#2015760 - 01/16/13 08:13 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

>>Cool! Changes aren't hard. They're just playing it so fast.
The head is hard, at any tempo smile

#2015767 - 01/16/13 08:24 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

BTW -- have you guys kept count of how many tunes you've all played? I remember at the start that I played 20 tunes or something. Now I'm playing so many tunes a month, I've lost track. I just recall the 200 or so on my iRealB app that I use for set lists.

I thought it was impossible to remember so many. I just it just comes naturally.

I have to always be conscious of what I play at our recurring gigs so we don't keep sounding the same. This means that every month, I always add new tunes. Tough being a jazz musician!

If I were Led Zep, I'd just have to play Stairway to Heaven over and over....and over...and over...

#2015809 - 01/16/13 09:53 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Stablemates was the tune I was asked to play at the Aebersold audition last year.

#2015818 - 01/16/13 10:13 PM Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty]
jazzwee Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Stablemates was the tune I was asked to play at the Aebersold audition last year.

Love the changes. This is my type of tune. BUT -- I don't get the head. Kind of like Inner Urge. You've got to listen to it a lot before it makes sense.

Did they ask you to play the head? You should have just said Killer Joe and then the head is super simple. smile

Page 189 of 222 < 1 2 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 221 222 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
175 registered (Akshay, accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, 56 invisible), 1705 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253301 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
26 minutes 20 seconds ago
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
32 minutes 6 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
32 minutes 13 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
33 minutes 30 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
50 minutes 29 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission