Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2013716 - 01/12/13 11:23 PM Ivory expert
pianocat88 Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
HI All- A few years ago at the first PTG Westpac conference in San Francisco, I met a technician named Hans who I think was from B.C. We talked about how he has had to verify the age on ivory so instruments don't need to be dismantled or confiscated when they are transported between countries when the paperwork has been forgotten.
Do any of you know him? If so, please let me know how to contact him. I have a situation where I must remove the ivories from a 1920's grand piano because it was shipped from Beirut without the proper paperwork. The Fish and Wildlife inspector is sympathetic but he takes his job very seriously. If I can prove to him that the ivories are without question the same age as the piano, there may be a chance he will approve the delivery without the removal of the keytops.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2013717 - 01/12/13 11:28 PM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a warning: I personally know of people who have had really bad interactions with customs when importing/exporting pianos with ivory. You will not always get a sympathetic inspector, and if you are unlucky enough, they can and will go after you. Always make sure you have the proper paperwork, and make sure it is filled out correctly.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2013746 - 01/13/13 12:54 AM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
The information you are looking for is part of the CITES treaty. I think if you google CITES Treaty you will get the entire document. It has become more of an issue since Gibson Guitars was in the exotic wood trouble last year. They are really cracking down on Vintage guitars and pianos. The last two years have been very difficult so we stopped shipping. Especially to Western States with Agricultural inspection and port of entries.

I used to have the entire thing on my website until people got scared to buy pianos based on the wood they were constructed from. It is not just Ivory but also Broad-leaf Mahogany, Some Rosewood species. You have to be able to document what animal species ( scientific name) the Ivory came from and it has to be pre 1947 and you have to be able to prove that on paper.

The example listed on the US Customs watch list was a hunk of 10 thousand year old Mammoth Ivory that was fashioned into a nut for a guitar in 2008. US customs views this as Manufacturing a banned material and is illegal so now everything has to be documented. I am not sure how they are still cutting tusks pre-ban for new ivory and documenting that, perhaps contact Walker in KY and see what they do. We have also had our shop here in Nashville gone through by inspectors and they cataloged all our antique wood, veneer and Ivory.

Cornell University has been doing some research on this and we have personally been involved in helping some people get their piano back after confiscation in New Mexico of all places.

Also just because you have your paperwork in order is no guarantee that you can still ship the instrument. We just had something get denied shipping from TN to AZ to a museum there that we took a chance on.

J Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
since 1918
Lascassas TN
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2013829 - 01/13/13 09:10 AM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm afraid that there has been a flame that has burned through the atmosphere of Earth that has consumed common sense. Political systems are regulating absurdities to beyond absurdity.

I'd take the ivory key tops off and replace them with plastic or steer bone. Then I'd give the tops to the Ag. inspector and suggest (politely of course) that he go find the animal that they came from, and glue them back in place.

My sense is that you are probably much nicer, more politically astute, and ecologically sensitive than I am, so take my suggestion for what it's worth. wink
-----

#2013864 - 01/13/13 10:43 AM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland

#2014032 - 01/13/13 06:21 PM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
Aussie tuner Offline

Loc: South Australia
I sent some hammers to ABEL Germany to be recovered. The set fitted in to a small box but on arrival in Germany the Customs there would not release the box till I sent a note to ABEL which he could present to the customs saying "Hammers without piano AUS$20,00" I think the word "piano" must have rung bells in the customs department ;-)
Robin

#2014102 - 01/13/13 08:58 PM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Lisa the person you are inquiring about is not an ivory expert but I know who you mean. I will PM you his contact info as you are requesting.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2014329 - 01/14/13 10:24 AM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
The only way to prove the age of the ivory is to have someone qualified to inspect a sample of it with a spectroscopy machine. These are often used by larger museums for this purpose. They find and isolatethe specific organic materials in the ivory which show age depradation and match them to known samples of proven age. There are several museums who perform the service in Europe, which typically involves sending them a sample. My understanding is that all but certain specific types of really recent/modern spectroscopy machines are not very portable. The process of analysis takes about half an hour for a competant tech to complete. Best bet is to call the largest museums in major nearby cities and enquire if they can help you.
(added) It would also be highly advisable to find out from the authorities involved what protocol is followed to ensure the integrity of the testing. You obviously don't want to go through the trouble and expense of having a sample tested and then have to do it over because someone suggests that the sample was switched out in the process.

Edited by Emmery (01/14/13 10:40 AM)

#2014332 - 01/14/13 10:27 AM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Call Abby at NCIS.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2014364 - 01/14/13 11:21 AM Re: Ivory expert [Re: pianocat88]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
About ivories, we have in France piano experts techs that are recognized by the courts. I believe those ones can put their name on a certificate, looking at the way the ivories are glued for instance, their thickness, may suffice to assess they are here before the fatal year.

Similar condition possibly exist in Germany (about courts agreement)

Analysis by a museum is a good idea, probably not cheap.

#2014397 - 01/14/13 12:11 PM Re: Ivory expert [Re: Minnesota Marty]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Call Abby at NCIS.
Yea, she can do it. She can figure out anything!
-----

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, aesop, 36251, 36 invisible), 1417 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156848 Topics
2304658 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
08/21/14 10:02 PM
Do pianists care?
by Ed Foote
08/21/14 09:44 PM
Can we strengthen the fingers?
by rov
08/21/14 08:53 PM
Hello to Everyone and to PianoStudent88
by Gene Williams
08/21/14 08:23 PM
Is this Piano Purchase Tax deductible?
by master88er
08/21/14 08:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission