Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2013164 - 01/12/13 01:01 AM recording my digital piano exactly
mayuna Offline

I want to record my playing exactly.
I play the piano emotionally pressing the key differently.
How can I record my piano without missing the playing detail?
Should I buy sound card?
My digital piano is Yamaha P-155.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2013174 - 01/12/13 01:28 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Get a audio interface and record it. Or buy a Zoom like device.

#2013185 - 01/12/13 02:15 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
o0Ampy0o Offline

The P-155 has built-in recording capability.

Or, if you have a computer get an audio interface and a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation software) and connect using the MIDI IN/OUT (best) or Audio Out.

#2013188 - 01/12/13 02:24 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
The P155 owner's manual has a section titled:

"Recording Your Performance".

That _may_ do what you want. What's actually recorded isn't the _sound_ of the piano; it's the MIDI signals from the keyboard that make it generate that sound.

So you can play back the "recording" through the piano, but you can't send it to your friends to listen to.

To record the _sound_, you could use the sound card already in your computer (most computers have them). You might want to buy a higher-quality sound card -- but the built-in cards do CD-quality recording.

A ZOOM recorder is nice, but it isn't cheap.

. Charles

#2013233 - 01/12/13 05:52 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
You`ll have an internal recording facility; if you get a recording of what you do, you can then play it straight onto the computer through free "audacity" or some other programme. via the headphone output of the piano, and the "line in" stereo jack socket on the computer. Use a splitter to connect headphones, too, so you`ll hear it played back. That`s what I do, it`s dead easy and results are good.

""

#2013241 - 01/12/13 06:09 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: mayuna
I want to record my playing exactly.
I play the piano emotionally pressing the key differently.
How can I record my piano without missing the playing detail?
Should I buy sound card?
My digital piano is Yamaha P-155.

We don't record 'emotions' when recording. The only 'emotion' a key 'sees' is velocity, that, plus the timing of the release of the 'damper'.

Instead of using the word emotion, consider using the word accuracy. You want to record what you're playing with great accuracy. You can either record the MIDI information which is extremely accurate and\or record the actual sound of the keyboard using the 'outs' going into a recorder or going into your computer using a freeware program such as Audacity.

I use Audacity and while the noise floor of my system is higher than what I would prefer, I do manage to record myself ... with great accuracy.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2013295 - 01/12/13 09:03 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Not to nitpick smile the OP did not say they wanted to record emotions.

They described "emotionally pressing the key differently" which is being moved by emotion and expressing the emotion through the instrument......something many great musicians do.

They also said they wanted to record this "exactly" "without missing the playing detail" = accurately

#2013316 - 01/12/13 09:47 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
EO3 Offline

Hmm, but a recording is a recording, that's it. At least when using digitals, it will be the same "your playing" effect whether it is via inbuilt sound or MIDI/software or whatever, the only difference is how good quality is your keyboard (how realistic, so that it represents to the maximum possibility your playing), and how good is the end sound (inbuilt or software).

#2013330 - 01/12/13 10:01 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I don't think the P155 can record audio to a USB device. Only MIDI. If you want to record audio, you should either run a cable from the line-out ports to the line-in on your computer or get a USB sound interface, as was suggested earlier.

The OP could also render the MIDI file using a software piano, but that's not going to sound exactly the way it was played on the P155.

Edited by gvfarns (01/12/13 10:02 AM)

#2013447 - 01/12/13 01:37 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: gvfarns]
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Hi there

The most easy way......just take your headphones-out......install audacity on your laptop or any device....and record......

It will show all your output with expression.....

Best regards,
Johan B

Edited by Johan B (01/12/13 04:48 PM)

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#2013454 - 01/12/13 01:55 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: EO3]
Jonny Guitar Offline

Originally Posted By: EO3
Hmm, but a recording is a recording, that's it.

Direct recording versus midi is the equivalent of reading a novel in the author's script versus reading a type set version.

#2013714 - 01/12/13 11:14 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
mayuna Offline

I deeply appreciate your advices. I am thinking to buy ZOOM to record highest quality sound for CD. But can I record with audacity with the best sound??

#2013718 - 01/12/13 11:31 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Yes, Audacity works well, and it's free.

Audacity runs on a computer.
Zoom is meant to be portable.

#2013793 - 01/13/13 05:55 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: Jonny Guitar]
EO3 Offline

Originally Posted By: Jonny Guitar
Originally Posted By: EO3
Hmm, but a recording is a recording, that's it.

Direct recording versus midi is the equivalent of reading a novel in the author's script versus reading a type set version.

In this case it's the same, because sound coming from digital is still the sound that's made up from pressing keys on the MIDI keyboard, so it doesn't matter if the end result is recorded via "analog" line in-out or MIDI, the sound will be the same (or worse in analog version, because there can be side effects, background noise, etc.).

Equivalent of your example would be playing acoustic piano and recording it via line-in and playing the same acoustic's piano digital/software HIGH quality edition and recording via midi. smile

However, it doesn't matter to the end user, as we all know, everyone is happy to buy and read novel's in type settings. hehe.

#2013881 - 01/13/13 11:22 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mayuna
I deeply appreciate your advices. I am thinking to buy ZOOM to record highest quality sound for CD. But can I record with audacity with the best sound??

Audacity's "native format" uses 32-bit, floating-point samples. That is better than any other part of the record / playback system.

So the limit to the quality of an Audacity recording, made from the piano's "line out" or "headphone" output, depends on:

. . . How good is the sound card?

If the sound card will do 16-bit sampling (most sound cards can do that), you will be OK. You'll get a "CD-quality" recording.

If the sound card will do 24-bit sampling (high-quality sound cards can do that), the recording can be edited, "levelled", and mixed, and keep its original quality.

The Zoom recorders can do 24-bit sampling -- they are excellent machines. All the models have "line-in" jacks.

. Charles

#2014436 - 01/14/13 01:01 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
mayuna Offline

Should I buy audio interface if I use Audacity? or Can I connect piano to computer without audio interface?
What kind of cable should I use?
Also, How can I find information if my sound card will do 16-bit sampling or 24-bit sampling?
I am so sorry for many questions as I am beginner.
Thank you!!

#2014473 - 01/14/13 02:06 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.

#2014535 - 01/14/13 04:30 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
emenelton Online   content

There are a-lot of good reasons to get a Zoom H4n as opposed to an audio interface. If you are a player that wants a non-burdensome solution to record yourself or location situations at the 'drop of a dime', you could be better off.
Please keep in mind that not all portable recorders are the same. That specific ZOOM has pro-type connections and built in mics, but there are many other recorders to choose from.

#2014717 - 01/15/13 01:58 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: Vid]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Vid

Excellent beginner exposition -- thanks!

. Charles

#2014967 - 01/15/13 02:36 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
mayuna Offline

OK. I am thinking to buy ZOOM h4n
Do you know how to setup ZOOM h4n to record high quality piano?
How can I prevent noise from mic?

#2014975 - 01/15/13 02:49 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
There's been lots of discussion on using Zoom devices. Try the google based search bar top left. Here is one example. A quick scan suggests you might be able to connect directly without using the mic. There are other threads too.

#2015013 - 01/15/13 04:26 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
emenelton Online   content

Once you record into the Zoom, you can put it into your computer. One of the nice things about a portable recorder like the H4N is you can record yourself playing any piano.
If you plug the left and right line outs of your piano into the left and right inputs of the H4N, you will get "to record high quality piano".
For many pro and semi pro musicians, a portable recorder is an indispensable tool.

#2015157 - 01/15/13 10:11 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
Why not use a microphone directed at the piano? I guess that would record it exactly? Or is there something I am missing?

#2015160 - 01/15/13 10:12 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
burkorobe Offline

Loc: Banned
it`s dead easy and results are good.

#2015182 - 01/15/13 10:52 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: adak]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: adak
Why not use a microphone directed at the piano? I guess that would record it exactly? Or is there something I am missing?

There are two very different things:

. . . (a) The "sounds" produced by the piano's electronics;

. . . (b) The sounds produced by the piano's loudspeakers,
. . . driven by the piano's electronics,
. . . with background echoes from the room,
. . . as recorded by imperfect microphones.

For many digi-pianos, (a) is much better than (b). And (a) is what you get when (as described above) you feed the headphone (or "line out") signals into the "Line In" jacks on a Zoom recorder (or computer soundcard).

. charles

PS -- if you've been recording your piano acoustically ("(b)"), try eliminating the loudspeaker and microphone. You might be surprised by the difference.

#2015195 - 01/15/13 11:21 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
scorpio Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
So here's a question. I have a P-155 too. If I purchased a Zoom or Tascam DR40 (most likely), would I use the headphone jacks (OUT) or the AUX OUT jacks? Do I have a choice? I assume the AUX OUT would be preferable, but can that be connected to a handheld recorder?

#2015289 - 01/16/13 05:52 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

How about get a cheap audio interface, say a Tascam US122 whatever version they're at now? Feed the 1/4" TRS output straight into it, which plugs into your computer. Don't bother with something that has mics until you're ready to make that purchase.

Edited by trigalg693 (01/16/13 05:53 AM)

#2015347 - 01/16/13 08:39 AM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: scorpio]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: scorpio
So here's a question. I have a P-155 too. If I purchased a Zoom or Tascam DR40 (most likely), would I use the headphone jacks (OUT) or the AUX OUT jacks? Do I have a choice? I assume the AUX OUT would be preferable, but can that be connected to a handheld recorder?

The aux out is preferable to headphone out if you have them. And I agree with trigalg693:

Quote:
How about get a cheap audio interface, say a Tascam US122 whatever version they're at now? Feed the 1/4" TRS output straight into it, which plugs into your computer. Don't bother with something that has mics until you're ready to make that purchase.

If you are wanting to do a direct line out recording for a digital (the preferred method), then no need to go overboard and purchase a Zoom H4 which is really intended for use with acoustic recordings but can also be used for direct line recordings. Getting a usb interface is much cheaper - but don't go with the cheapest model you can find, they tend to die after a while.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2015750 - 01/16/13 07:48 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
o0Ampy0o Offline

The Zoom product appears to be close to a throwback to traditional recorders but with digital technology there are typically features that require navigation using a form of menu system. They have small operation systems and are often closer to what is used in your computer except with the necessity of navigating a restricting menu using a small screen.

Both will involve a degree of learning curve. With this in mind I agree with trigalg693 and Morodiene. You would be better off looking for a solution using the computer rather than an all-in-one external device like the Zoom. There are many possibilities for expansion with the computer and taking this first step is useful in understanding how it can be a great tool with your instrument.

#2015761 - 01/16/13 08:16 PM Re: recording my digital piano exactly [Re: mayuna]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
An audio interface is the best option.You not only get perfect reproduction but most come with useful software for changing the piano tone, reverb effects etc.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
10/24/14 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
10/24/14 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, ando, Almaviva, Alexander Borro, anamnesis, 39 invisible), 1597 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76640 Members
42 Forums
158470 Topics
2327180 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission