Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2012637 - 01/11/13 07:32 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: KillerCharlie]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
Originally Posted By: KillerCharlie
Originally Posted By: Entheo
norbert you crack me up.

He sent me a long, rambling PM telling me that Japanese pianos are terrible and I would regret buying one. It was pretty ridiculous, but it did crack me up.

norbert can take comfort in the recent Public Policy Poll that ranks used car (substitute certain piano) salesmen edging out Congress re: who the public has a higher opinion of.

11% are still not sure. i'm leaning toward Congress on this one.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_Natl_010813_.pdf

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2013322 - 01/12/13 09:54 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: KillerCharlie]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
norbert you crack me up.

He sent me a long, rambling PM telling me that Japanese pianos are terrible and I would regret buying one. It was pretty ridiculous, but it did crack me up.

I could say the same about most euro trash pianos .....

#2013335 - 01/12/13 10:07 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: KillerCharlie]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
norbert you crack me up.

If this is true I'd suggest you contact moderators as this is , I believe, against forum rules.

#2014273 - 01/14/13 07:50 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies. i see that norbert has edited his post of january 10th AFTER a number of us commented on its content, thereby completely corrupting the context & audit trail.

#2014282 - 01/14/13 08:21 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Entheo]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies

Entheo

It is sometimes necessary to edit a post soon after posting to correct typos, grammar, facts, bad English, unclear statements, ill judged comments, etc. Your request would mean none of that is possible if someone posts one second later. How can that be justified, Norbert excepted?

Edited by Withindale (01/14/13 08:21 AM)

#2014291 - 01/14/13 08:54 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Withindale]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Withindale
note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies

Entheo

It is sometimes necessary to edit a post soon after posting to correct typos, grammar, facts, bad English, unclear statements, ill judged comments, etc. Your request would mean none of that is possible if someone posts one second later. How can that be justified, Norbert excepted?

good forum software allows a window for editing (60 seconds to a few minutes OR until someone has replied or a subsequent post has been made). this provides the poster with the opportunity to make corrections. it's also encumbent upon the poster to preview his/her post in case someone does post a reply quickly. it's called reviewing before publishing.

HOWEVER, once a subsequent post (i.e. reply) has been made, to allow editing means that the poster can MATERIALLY change the content of their post. for example, i post "do you think steinways are good pianos?" and get a bunch of YES replies, then i go back and change the post to read "do you think steinways are overpriced pianos?". i then copy the thread and use it to support the latter.

organizations go to great lengths to prevent liabilities like this, on public and private forums. Sarbanes–Oxley deals with issues like this, and as someone who is intimately involved in developing enterprise information mgmt software i can tell you that we could never expose our software auditing capabilities to a breech of this kind.

i would also point out that norbert's post was on January 10, 2013 11:01 PM and was edited on January 12, 2013 04:12 AM. he materially changed his post, rendering our replies confusing at best. his edits reinforce my post about congress vs. used car salesmen in a race to the bottom of public opinion.

Edited by Entheo (01/14/13 08:56 AM)

#2014298 - 01/14/13 09:08 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Entheo]
boyonahill Offline

Loc: Europe

Entheo

good forum software allows a window for editing (60 seconds to a few minutes OR until someone has replied or a subsequent post has been made). this provides the poster with the opportunity to make corrections. it's also encumbent upon the poster to preview his/her post in case someone does post a reply quickly. it's called reviewing before publishing.

HOWEVER, once a subsequent post (i.e. reply) has been made, to allow editing means that the poster can MATERIALLY change the content of their post. for example, i post "do you think steinways are good pianos?" and get a bunch of YES replies, then i go back and change the post to read "do you think steinways are overpriced pianos?". i then copy the thread and use it to support the latter.

organizations go to great lengths to prevent liabilities like this, on public and private forums. Sarbanes–Oxley deals with issues like this, and as someone who is intimately involved in developing enterprise information mgmt software i can tell you that we could never expose our software auditing capabilities to a breech of this kind.

i would also point out that norbert's post was on January 10, 2013 11:01 PM and was edited on January 12, 2013 04:12 AM. he materially changed his post, rendering our replies confusing at best. his edits reinforce my post about congress vs. used car salesmen in a race to the bottom of public opinion.

While I can understand how you look at things, I think you are confusing running a business, a country or a trial with using a fun, informal and informative forum.

Your example of Steinway above, if they are overpriced or not, only bear relevance for those here who use their real name. For me, as an anonymous nobody I couldn't care less about such an edit. And for those who use their real name, I think most people are smarter than judging anybody based on such things.

While I could support change to a 5 minute editing window, I also like the possibility to change my posts later to add new information, like I've done to my first post here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...grand%20pi.html

#2014305 - 01/14/13 09:31 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

frank has a sticky topic entitled "Can I Say That on the Forum?" regarding online comments that spark lawsuits. frank is obviously aware of the liabilities, and if i were him i would treat this accordingly.

from an end user point of view this audit breech undermines my confidence in posting to this BBS, knowing that the meanings of my replies can be distorted after the fact by edits to the originating posts.

#2014311 - 01/14/13 09:42 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
SteveM732 Offline

Loc: Beaverton, OR, USA
Have posts on PW been immutable in the 9 years since you joined? The only forum I've ever belonged to that didn't allow editing of posts has since allowed editing due to popular demand. I've yet to see a forum thread's meaning get entirely changed by an edit and it would get detected pretty quickly if it did.

If review before publication was a high priority then I'd not see rampant capitalization errors in the posts above.

#2014314 - 01/14/13 09:49 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Entheo]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
the meanings of my replies can be distorted after the fact by edits to the originating posts.

Quotes obviate this problem.

Edited by Withindale (01/14/13 09:49 AM)

#2014318 - 01/14/13 09:58 AM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: SteveM732]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SteveM732
Have posts on PW been immutable in the 9 years since you joined? The only forum I've ever belonged to that didn't allow editing of posts has since allowed editing due to popular demand. I've yet to see a forum thread's meaning get entirely changed by an edit and it would get detected pretty quickly if it did.

i've raised this issue on multiple occasions previously. it's obviously not of concern or a high priority.

every other forum i participate in supports non-editing per previous description.

Originally Posted By: SteveM732
If review before publication was a high priority then I'd not see rampant capitalization errors in the posts above.

the issue here is substance not style.

Quotes obviate this problem.

this is true and something i'll need to keep in mind when responding to certain posters.

#2014528 - 01/14/13 04:14 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Withindale]
SteveM732 Offline

Loc: Beaverton, OR, USA
Quotes don't always help obviate this problem.

Even quotes are vulnerable. The key is to not believe everything you read, especially on the internet.

#2014542 - 01/14/13 04:49 PM Re: Video demonstrating Yamaha’s new CX series grand pianos [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
PaintedPostDave Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Upstate New York
After all the dust has settled (assuming it has), the basic question raised by Rick and Buladscot has not, IMHO, been answered. Instead, yet another attack has been launched against Norbert (I thought Private Messages were, uh, supposed to be private).

I find Norbert's posts, whether edited or not, much more entertaining than, say, the initial post by Grand Piano Haus which strikes me as advertising. Furthermore, comparing Norbert to members of congress really cracks me up. laugh
https://sites.google.com/site/analysisofsoundsandvibrations/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (36251, AZ_Astro, BarryR, anotherscott, 38 invisible), 1305 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76031 Members
42 Forums
157205 Topics
2308870 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
20 minutes 28 seconds ago
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
Today at 07:14 AM
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
Today at 06:45 AM
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
Today at 01:54 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission