Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2014116 - 01/13/13 09:41 PM Where am I after 9 months.
plns Offline

I made a brief appearance here last April as a new tuner learning the trade. Battling through some discouragement and gone missing for about 4 of the 9 months, I've managed to tune about 30 pianos.

I still use Tune-labs to get the temperament and then tune the rest by ear. I understand tuning by 3rds,4ths and 5ths and have practiced it. It has a a somewhat long runway to perfection. It takes a lot to get a 3rd to sound right and then have quiet 4ths and 5ths.

I can make a piano sound good to the layman. The store owner where I tune and who plays, likes my tuning as does the salesman.

My unisons are pretty tight and I'll post something when I get the chance.

Again, thanks to those that offered some advices and my apologies for those I neglected to thank.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2014154 - 01/13/13 11:29 PM Re: Where am I after 9 months. [Re: plns]
woodfab Offline

Loc: Stoneham, MA
I at this point do not say I am piano tuner. I do tune my own.

I had a great tuner that tuned by ear and new how to set the pins correctly, but he has retired.

The main reason I decided to tune my own piano is due the the disappointment of the tunings I got after my local tuner retired.

It's really a bummer after you pay $125 to $175 to tune your piano and a day or two later you end up with three or four sour notes

I would say that after your done tuning that you play the piano and play it somewhat hard to make sure it will hold its tuning
I know setting the pins is not easy , that's why I don't do it.

#2014525 - 01/14/13 04:08 PM Re: Where am I after 9 months. [Re: plns]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
If your retired tuner is still in town, you might ask him for a critique.

#2014635 - 01/14/13 08:47 PM Re: Where am I after 9 months. [Re: woodfab]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: woodfab

I had a great tuner that tuned by ear and new how to set the pins correctly, but he has retired.

The main reason I decided to tune my own piano is due the the disappointment of the tunings I got after my local tuner retired.

It's really a bummer after you pay $125 to $175 to tune your piano and a day or two later you end up with three or four sour notes

I would say that after your done tuning that you play the piano and play it somewhat hard to make sure it will hold its tuning

i can't speak for your tuner. But if I tuned a piano and a day later there were sour notes, I would absolutely want to know about it. Call him back immediately and let him know.
(semi-retired)

#2014831 - 01/15/13 08:29 AM Re: Where am I after 9 months. [Re: woodfab]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: woodfab

It is not difficult but imply a long training to perceive the motion of the wire and the one of the bottom of the pin (thru the tuning lever, but the ear is used of course) .

Probably 80 % of the tuners are "shooting in the dark" and need to evaluate their setting with test blows.

Learning to evaluate the springiness of the tuning pin is necessary, and allows to leave all pins under the same stress ;

if not there is a range of acceptation where the pin grips in the block, but the residual stress varies.

Usually in a good tuning, octaves are out of tune before unison. This is also because unison have a range of acceptability, but strong unison are stable, and tend to stay put because the attack energy is well regulated in a "less trouble path" , tend to stay or go back there

Setting the pins with hard blows can work, but active setting is more efficient. When firmly set a wire can be pulled with a wire hook without changing.

To tune a piano , one must not be afraid by the wire, then one need to be confident enough in its abilities, that is why so many tuners consider themselves as really good, and avoid any self criticism. Sort of "if you hear it sound good, it must sound good"

Customers that make difference between the tuner's tone are very rare. Some may even like moaning unison's , but some are really embarrassed with them.

Control on the tone attack provide control on the dynamics of tone the attack may energize the fundamental and couple the partials at the same time, the rest is a question of proportions. (because strings have differences in iH and spectra, generally)

Edited by Kamin (01/15/13 08:30 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (36251, accordeur, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, 40 invisible), 1340 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76031 Members
42 Forums
157205 Topics
2308871 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
30 minutes 55 seconds ago
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
Today at 07:14 AM
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
Today at 06:45 AM
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
Today at 01:54 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission