Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2014674 - 01/14/13 10:48 PM Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3
ClassicU3 Offline

Loc: Chester County, PA
I just purchased my first piano (first real piano I've personally bought, I've been playing keys for years). It's a restored 1963 Yamaha U3 that I bought over the weekend at a piano sale. It's really a unique, gorgeous instrument and it appears to have been nicely restored (new hammers, felts, restrung, cleaned, etc.). I've never seen the particular finish that this piano has. It's a very dark, rich polished mahogany finish (looks black until you see it in the light). I'm pretty sure the piano was either refinished or the original finish was buffed out.

I verified the serial number with Yamaha today and they indicated that it would fall in the range of pianos produced in Japan in 1963. I'm not sure if it was produced for the US market or if it's a gray market piano.

Does anyone have an indication as to what a restored 1963 Yamaha U3 might be worth? I'm trying to determine if I paid too much. OK, I'm pretty sure that I did pay too much, but I'd like to determine how much I overpaid. The piano looks, plays and sounds great, so I'm not regretting my decision to buy it, but I am wondering where the price should fall for a piano like this. I'm new to the world of piano buying/valuation, so I kind of jumped in feet first without really thinking.

Thanks in advance for any insight you experienced folks can provide.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2014677 - 01/14/13 10:58 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi - welcome. A restored U1 would need to be evaluated by a technician to evaluate what was restored. Restoration jobs vary so much, that with this age of piano, it would be impossible to ascertain by just a description.

That said, you've bought it, so it's too late to back-track anyway. The value of any item is really what the client is willing to pay for it.

So, forget what it's "worth". Enjoy your new piano.

#2014679 - 01/14/13 11:01 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
My advice would be to forget all about your question! You have your piano now. Just move on and enjoy it. $1,000 either way divided over the years you have this piano will be irrelevant. I have a U3 from that era - late 60's in my case and after doing a bit of work on it myself, I'm very happy with it. People who play it also find it to be a very nice instrument. I won't tell you how much I paid because I don't think you should be buying into this question. Enjoy!

#2014680 - 01/14/13 11:02 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Maybe $40,000

Plus or minus $37,000

#2014695 - 01/15/13 12:08 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClassicU3
I just purchased my first piano (first real piano I've personally bought, I've been playing keys for years). It's a restored 1963 Yamaha U3 that I bought over the weekend at a piano sale. It's really a unique, gorgeous instrument and it appears to have been nicely restored (new hammers, felts, restrung, cleaned, etc.). I've never seen the particular finish that this piano has. It's a very dark, rich polished mahogany finish (looks black until you see it in the light). I'm pretty sure the piano was either refinished or the original finish was buffed out.

I verified the serial number with Yamaha today and they indicated that it would fall in the range of pianos produced in Japan in 1963. I'm not sure if it was produced for the US market or if it's a gray market piano.

Does anyone have an indication as to what a restored 1963 Yamaha U3 might be worth? I'm trying to determine if I paid too much. OK, I'm pretty sure that I did pay too much, but I'd like to determine how much I overpaid. The piano looks, plays and sounds great, so I'm not regretting my decision to buy it, but I am wondering where the price should fall for a piano like this. I'm new to the world of piano buying/valuation, so I kind of jumped in feet first without really thinking.

Thanks in advance for any insight you experienced folks can provide.

You can look up the serial number to determine whether or not it was built for the North American market: http://www.yamaha.com/ussub/pianos/SerialNumberlookup.aspx

How much your piano is worth is somewhat dependent on if it is a grey market, or not. Also, the quality of restoration work is important. In any case, I can't imagine a scenario where it'd be worth more than, perhaps $4,000-$5,000.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2014734 - 01/15/13 02:37 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: beethoven986]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986

How much your piano is worth is somewhat dependent on if it is a grey market, or not. Also, the quality of restoration work is important. In any case, I can't imagine a scenario where it'd be worth more than, perhaps $4,000-$5,000.

I'm not sure about other countries, but in Australia grey imports are not particularly lower in price than the authorised imports. It's more the case that certain dealers make a much better profit margin by importing greys. As far as I can tell, if the condition can be confirmed to be excellent by a technician, a grey will still fetch more or less the same price as a non-grey.

I can't speak for how it's viewed in other countries though.

#2014806 - 01/15/13 07:37 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: beethoven986

I was thinking $3k to $4k due to the age, rebuilt or not... but I'm just speculating. I'd say your estimation is as good as any.

I also agree that the piano is now bought and paid for and I'd leave well enough alone. If you like the piano, you did not pay too much! smile

Rick

#2014812 - 01/15/13 07:59 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have owned a grey market Yamaha G3 for several years now. It is currently in my home in WI, and something you'll want to be sure to do is regulate the humidity in the piano room. It sounds as though it is grey market as it was made for Japan. Since their humidity levels are much higher, in PA where the winters are cold and dry you will notice more than typical changes in your tuning and even perhaps some issues with screws coming loose (this happened to me anyways). So keeping stable humidity around the piano is really important. You can have a Dammp-Chaser installed and that will help a lot.

When I bought my piano, I was not aware of grey market and what it was. Still, it has been a good instrument for me once I was able to get it more stable. Be sure to have a technician come and check things out. He/she will be able to recommend any work that might be done.

As far as money is concerned, like another poster said a piano is worth what someone will pay for it. I would not be concerned, especially with grey market because those are generally sold at a fraction of the cost of a new one. I'm sure you will have years of enjoyment with your new (to you) piano!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2014820 - 01/15/13 08:14 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
From a dealer, with a warranty and a free tuning I'd say ~$5000.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2014859 - 01/15/13 09:58 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
In the UK if well sorted that piano might be worth around £3000 retail, maybe a tad more if it's a particularly good one - that converts to just under $5000. Here there doesn't seem to be any particular stigma about grey market imports. Pricing seems to be related to the age and quality, not the import status. For instance good mid '80s U3s (grey or otherwise) go for around £3750.

#2014863 - 01/15/13 10:31 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
ClassicU3 Offline

Thank you all for your insightful replies. I feel much better about the purchase now. I played the piano some last night and this morning and I'm quite satisfied with it. I also called a technician who is familiar with the piano and he confirmed that it looks to be restored nicely. I have decided to take the exact approach that many of you have suggested and just enjoy the piano, because it really is a unique and gorgeous instrument and it plays and sounds wonderful.

I had looked up the serial number on Yamaha's web site earlier yesterday. The serial number is in the range of pianos produced in Japan in 1963, but I can't be certain if it was produced for the US or Japanese market. If I look up the serial number on Yamaha's site, it actually brings up a P22 DAO model, which seems to indicate that there was some overlap in their serial numbering over the years, and might also indicate that this was not a US market piano. Either way, I think that 50 years is enough time for the wood to adjust to the North American climate! I don't see any issues with the wood in this instrument, and it resonates brilliantly.

Anyway, the piano is great, and based on your estimates in this thread, the price I paid might be close to in range for a well-restored U3. Given that it was a charity sale, I don't feel too bad about the price I paid anymore, and I feel that the uniqueness and history of this piano in combination with it's great looks, sound and playability actually might make it worth the price paid.

I'm just going to enjoy it and stop worrying over a few bucks.

This was my first post on here. It looks like this forum is composed of a number of helpful and knowledgeable people. I look forward to interacting with the forum.

Edited by ClassicU3 (01/15/13 10:43 AM)

#2014891 - 01/15/13 12:00 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
ClassicU3 Offline

As a follow-up, in case anyone is curious, the owner of the company that sold me the piano just called me in response to an e-mail I sent to him yesterday. He guarantees that the restoration performed on the piano I bought is considered an A+ restoration. That, in combination with the piano's unique finish/color, support the price. I tend to agree with him and I'm comfortable with the price I paid.

Now, off to enjoy the piano!

#2015294 - 01/16/13 06:25 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
Good news - now for a photo?

#2015324 - 01/16/13 07:56 AM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: backto_study_piano]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: backto_study_piano
Good news - now for a photo?

And a recording?? laugh
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2015627 - 01/16/13 04:45 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
ClassicU3 Offline

I'll take some photos and post them over the weekend.

The recording might take some more time! The piano is in my living room and the recording studio is in the basement, so I'll need to rig up a portable recording setup. I plan to get an audio interface for my iPad soon, so that will allow me to record the real piano in the living room as opposed to the synthesized and sampled pianos in the studio.

#2017409 - 01/19/13 04:59 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
ClassicU3 Offline

OK, the piano technician just left a couple of hours ago and gave the piano glowing reviews and gave it its first tuning since it entered my house. He confirmed that all wearable parts in the piano had been replaced, and it's practically a new piano. Every is solid as a rock and the piano is sounding and playing great.

As promised, here are some photos if anyone is interested to see it:

#2017470 - 01/19/13 06:59 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Looks gorgeous! I'd say you have nothing to worry about. smile

#2017529 - 01/19/13 08:53 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
ClassicU3 Offline

Thank you, ando. Yes, all my original fears that I had after I first purchased the piano are gone. I have the opinions of two piano techs who both regard this as a new piano and feel that not only did I not pay too much, I may have gotten a bargain and a fairly unique piano to boot.

All my fears relieved, I'm loving this piano and couldn't be happier with it. I got very lucky.

Edited by ClassicU3 (01/19/13 08:54 PM)

#2017576 - 01/19/13 11:04 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
Congratulations! It's gorgeous. I wish you many happy years playing it and look forward to hearing your recording!
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#2017918 - 01/20/13 04:05 PM Re: Refurbished 1963 Yamaha U3 [Re: ClassicU3]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Blimey, that looks really lovely! I'm very impressed.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
99 registered (Atrys, AZ_Astro, a_dee, ADWyatt, 26 invisible), 1294 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153491 Topics
2249184 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
20 minutes 49 seconds ago
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Cracks in my soundboard??
by Markarian
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission