Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2014689 - 01/14/13 11:38 PM essex 123 delivered today - issue
grapesoda8342 Offline

hey, i bought an essex 123S. it was delivered today and now i have a question:

piano salesman said they'd tune it up before putting it on the truck, then they'll send someone out again in a couple months to tune it again.

deep breath. i'm hating the sound; like, it's pretty bad.

pitch is all over the place, upper register sounds really shrill; nearly impossible to get a mellow sound out of the treble clef. if i hit the keys one at a time, like with a staccato touch, some of them sustain and some of them are dampened right away. i know music and have a good ear (i think), but i don't know the workings of the piano as a machine.

i guess my question is whether or not this is to be expected. does a piano get all out of whack on a delivery truck? do i just need to wait it out for a couple months, let the piano rest and acclimate to my home (temperature and humidity level i'm guessing??) and then let the technician fix the problems then? my impatient and impulsive nature is telling me to get on the horn ASAP and get my complaints logged for future reference.

please. advise me, oh wise and generous sages of piano.

thanks.

Edited by grapesoda8342 (01/14/13 11:51 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2014699 - 01/15/13 12:39 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Give the piano a couple of weeks to acclimate, call the dealer and get the free tuning.

Even better, discuss it with the dealer, some of them are good guys. They might give you an extra tuning. Presumably, they would like to get your business in the future at some point.

#2014705 - 01/15/13 01:03 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
this is not good, im about to upgrade my yamaha to a 123s tomorrow!! they had two in the store, one sounded really muffled and deep, where the other one sounded AMAZING and crisp and perfect and I have that one reserved! I know its made in china but there is great reviews for that model..

thread watching begin laugh

good luck buddy

#2014706 - 01/15/13 01:10 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
Yes -- stuff like this happens. When I got my Ritmuller a few months, my piano showed the exact same symptom -- some of the notes would occasionally sustain when there was no reason to. I was also scared out of my wits. It turns out that the delivery folks did a bad job of putting the pieces back together. When the tech came, it took him all of ten minutes to take care of the problem.

#2014814 - 01/15/13 08:04 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Yes, it does get out of whack on the truck. No, you should not wait a couple of months before getting it tuned, but a couple of weeks! Call the dealer, let them know how unhappy you are with the sound and schedule the tuning for a couple of weeks out. Be sure to make note of all the little things you notice so you can tell the tuner when he's there (and you will want to be in the room while they are tuning).
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2014817 - 01/15/13 08:11 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
As a rule transporting a piano does not cause the roblems you describe. It sounds to me like it was not very well prepped.

I'd call the dealer and discuss the issues with them. If it were me, I'd send a tech out right away to address the issues on an interim basis until the 6-8 week tuning.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2014842 - 01/15/13 09:11 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: Steve Cohen]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
As a rule transporting a piano does not cause the roblems you describe. It sounds to me like it was not very well prepped.

I'd call the dealer and discuss the issues with them. If it were me, I'd send a tech out right away to address the issues on an interim basis until the 6-8 week tuning.

I agree with Steve on this. If you wait until your traditional service, you might find that the tech. has not set aside proper time to deal with these issues, as these do not sound like normal delivery issues.

Call right away and have a tech. come out now. Then have your complimentary service at the proper time.

Good luck,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2014857 - 01/15/13 09:51 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: grapesoda8342
if i hit the keys one at a time, like with a staccato touch, some of them sustain and some of them are dampened right away. i know music and have a good ear (i think), but i don't know the workings of the piano as a machine.

I take it you know that the top octave and half or so has no dampers? So the top notes do sustain a bit because of this. Is this what you are referring to? In which case all pianos do this.

#2014873 - 01/15/13 11:08 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: EssBrace]
grapesoda8342 Offline

i didn't know that. thanks. the issue extends to more than the highest notes. still, good to know:)

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
if i hit the keys one at a time, like with a staccato touch, some of them sustain and some of them are dampened right away. i know music and have a good ear (i think), but i don't know the workings of the piano as a machine.

I take it you know that the top octave and half or so has no dampers? So the top notes do sustain a bit because of this. Is this what you are referring to? In which case all pianos do this.

#2014885 - 01/15/13 11:41 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Your piano should be reasonably playable with some forbearance for odd tings, pings and a few wobbly unisons from day one. If you're not suffering from OCD perfection syndrome and the piano can't be enjoyably played, a call to the dealer is in order. Consider also however that some of your issues may be caused by room acoustics.

Kurt

#2014930 - 01/15/13 01:33 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

piano salesman said they'd tune it up before putting it on the truck, then they'll send someone out again in a couple months to tune it again.

pitch is all over the place, upper register sounds really shrill; nearly impossible to get a mellow sound out of the treble clef. if i hit the keys one at a time, like with a staccato touch, some of them sustain and some of them are dampened right away. i know music and have a good ear (i think), but i don't know the workings of the piano as a machine.

i guess my question is whether or not this is to be expected. does a piano get all out of whack on a delivery truck? do i just need to wait it out for a couple months, let the piano rest and acclimate to my home (temperature and humidity level i'm guessing??) and then let the technician fix the problems then? my impatient and impulsive nature is telling me to get on the horn ASAP and get my complaints logged for future reference.

thanks.

I'm assuming that you played this particular instrument extensively in the dealer's showroom before deciding to purchase it - correct???

#2014937 - 01/15/13 01:49 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: carey]
grapesoda8342 Offline

of course. it sounded nice in the showroom, but needed tuning. i was assured it would be gone over with attention to detail before it was delivered. i noticed all the issues i mentioned in the showroom with the exception of the upper register brightness. i think i was intimidated in the showroom and didn't really try to get a sweet/singing sound out of it when i played it, so i didn't notice the brightness. i'm hoping/assuming the brightness can be combatted by a good technician???*

*(??? - had to match your question marks;)

Originally Posted By: carey

thanks.

I'm assuming that you played this particular instrument extensively in the dealer's showroom before deciding to purchase it - correct???

Edited by grapesoda8342 (01/15/13 01:59 PM)

#2014947 - 01/15/13 02:07 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi, and welcome to Piano World!

You’ve gotten some good advice and input here so far…

I might add that acoustic pianos, though magnificent musical instruments, can be very finicky and down-right ornery. I agree with the others that it would be good to let the piano settle a bit and get acclimated to its new environment (before getting too upset at the unpleasant sounds).

Next, I cannot emphasize enough how much difference you will notice after a highly-competent piano technician services/preps/tunes the piano. You will notice a huge difference.

If you are absolutely dissatisfied and uncomfortable with the performance of the piano upon initial delivery, I’d follow the other’s advice and contact the dealer right away and share your concerns with them.

You have a right to have high expectations of your new piano, but that requires the hand of a fine piano technician.

Congratulations on your new piano! smile

Rick

#2014969 - 01/15/13 02:41 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, grapesoda, and congratulations on your new piano. smile

Did you by any chance record the serial number of the piano you played in the showroom? Are you sure that the same piano was delivered?

Although diagnosing such things over the internet is difficult (if not impossible), I agree with Steve that it sounds as if the piano was not well prepped. It could be that the owner figured that it made more sense to postpone the prep until after it had acclimated to your house. Or it could be that the owner was hoping you wouldn't notice that the details you mentioned in the showroom hadn't been dealt with.

Advice is often given here that it is best to ask a dealer to fix any problems you notice in a piano BEFORE you agree to buy it, and you don't put down the deposit until the issues have been fixed to your satisfaction. It's too late in your case, obviously, but I agree with the others who suggested you call the dealer right away, describe the issues you have with the piano, and ask him to specify exactly what was done before delivery. The damping issues should be easily dealt with, as should the pitch inconsistencies. The fundamental brightness/shrillness of the notes... that may be harder to deal with.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

#2015053 - 01/15/13 05:51 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
grapesoda8342 Offline

update: spoke with the salesman this afternoon. he advised me to give the piano a month to settle down and then the tech will come out and address all issues EXCEPT for the voicing of the upper register. he says that's not part of the free service offered with the piano. seems kinda cheap to me, considering the 5k i just dropped, but what do i know....

#2015096 - 01/15/13 07:35 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
From what you describe, it doesn't sound like any of the issues you wanted addressed were actually addressed before delivery. That WAS the deal, wasn't it? And now you're being asked to wait a month? I wouldn't be happy, either. As others have suggested, I'd have the technician out there now, not later. If they refuse, get your money back.
Richfield Springs, New York

#2015105 - 01/15/13 08:04 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
update: spoke with the salesman this afternoon. he advised me to give the piano a month to settle down and then the tech will come out and address all issues EXCEPT for the voicing of the upper register. he says that's not part of the free service offered with the piano. seems kinda cheap to me, considering the 5k i just dropped, but what do i know....

Sounds really cheap to me. Maybe we should ask who the dealer is, so we can all stay away?

It doesn't represent Essex well either.

#2015111 - 01/15/13 08:30 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
i noticed all the issues i mentioned in the showroom with the exception of the upper register brightness. i think i was intimidated in the showroom and didn't really try to get a sweet/singing sound out of it when i played it, so i didn't notice the brightness.

Some observations:

You admit that you really didn't concentrate on the tonal structure of the piano while in the dealership.

There could be, indeed, a large difference between your home and the showroom acoustics. Is the piano placed on carpeting? Is it against a wall? Have you put something sound absorbing behind the piano?

Voicing a piano is a complex job and to completely change the basic tone of the instrument is more than a touch up. Consider your purchase price, it was very good for this Essex, and put things in perspective.

There is no reason to panic or be angry at this stage.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2015112 - 01/15/13 08:38 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:

What enticed you to buy a piano that obviously needed tuning even BEFORE delivery to your home?

Norbert

#2015123 - 01/15/13 09:06 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: Minnesota Marty]
grapesoda8342 Offline

thanks for the observations.

i feel neither anger nor panic at this point. thanks for being concerned about my feelings!

i did my best to listen to the tone of the piano in the showroom. i liked it, especially when compared with the yamaha uprights they were displaying.

i'm not looking for a handout. i'd just like to solve the problem. if paying skilled technician to come spend some time with it is the answer, that's what i'll do.

the piano is in a carpeted room, against a wall. there is nothing on the wall behind the piano.

i'm not sure what is meant by "consider the purchase price". am i to assume that i got a deal on a lemon? i know $5500 is chump change to some, but it was a sacrifice for my family.

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
i noticed all the issues i mentioned in the showroom with the exception of the upper register brightness. i think i was intimidated in the showroom and didn't really try to get a sweet/singing sound out of it when i played it, so i didn't notice the brightness.

Some observations:

You admit that you really didn't concentrate on the tonal structure of the piano while in the dealership.

There could be, indeed, a large difference between your home and the showroom acoustics. Is the piano placed on carpeting? Is it against a wall? Have you put something sound absorbing behind the piano?

Voicing a piano is a complex job and to completely change the basic tone of the instrument is more than a touch up. Consider your purchase price, it was very good for this Essex, and put things in perspective.

There is no reason to panic or be angry at this stage.

#2015127 - 01/15/13 09:12 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: Norbert]
grapesoda8342 Offline

i was told this was procedure. i'm no expert on piano buying. if i made mistakes before purchase, i'll take accountability.

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:

What enticed you to buy a piano that obviously needed tuning even BEFORE delivery to your home?

Norbert

#2015166 - 01/15/13 10:18 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
i'm not sure what is meant by "consider the purchase price". am i to assume that i got a deal on a lemon? i know $5500 is chump change to some, but it was a sacrifice for my family.

Please read the whole paragraph to which you are referring. What I was saying is that there is a fairly high cost to do a tonal re-voicing and not just a touch-up to a few errant notes. While I agree that $5K (now $5.5K) is an expense for any family, one cannot expect the dealer to absorb the additional expense to obtain the tone you desire. The piano is not intended to compete with the more expensive instruments and you cannot expect that type of sound. You are asking for more than the usual prep and maintenance which is considered standard for this instrument.

If the piano is indeed a "lemon," request a replacement from Steinway.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2015189 - 01/15/13 11:07 PM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Quote:
of course. it sounded nice in the showroom, but needed tuning.

This was at a Steinway dealer?

It's unusual for any piano dealer to have badly out-of-tune pianos on the floor, even the entry-level grands.

Edited by Thrill Science (01/15/13 11:08 PM)

#2015205 - 01/16/13 12:02 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: Minnesota Marty]
grapesoda8342 Offline

thanks for the clarification. all the responses on this board have been really helpful, and i'm grateful to those who shared opinions and advice. i'll consider the input and set my expectations accordingly.

sara

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Please read the whole paragraph to which you are referring. What I was saying is that there is a fairly high cost to do a tonal re-voicing and not just a touch-up to a few errant notes. While I agree that $5K (now $5.5K) is an expense for any family, one cannot expect the dealer to absorb the additional expense to obtain the tone you desire. The piano is not intended to compete with the more expensive instruments and you cannot expect that type of sound. You are asking for more than the usual prep and maintenance which is considered standard for this instrument.

If the piano is indeed a "lemon," request a replacement from Steinway.

Edited by grapesoda8342 (01/16/13 12:43 AM)

#2015206 - 01/16/13 12:05 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: Thrill Science]
grapesoda8342 Offline

it wasn't badly out of tune. it wasn't perfectly in tune either.

my intention is not to drag any dealer/brand name through the mud.

Originally Posted By: Thrill Science
Quote:
of course. it sounded nice in the showroom, but needed tuning.

This was at a Steinway dealer?

It's unusual for any piano dealer to have badly out-of-tune pianos on the floor, even the entry-level grands.

#2015228 - 01/16/13 01:17 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
Ask the dealer if they tuned the piano before delivery. What you do not want to happen is get a piano that for some reason does not hold tuning very well.

#2015235 - 01/16/13 01:35 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: Norbert]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Steve and Rich, two reputable dealers themselves, have both advised you to inform your dealer immediately. A wise and conciencious dealer will address problems in the field immediately and send out an experienced and empathic tech., quite aside from the first tuning in your home.

Norbert[/quote]
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:

Norbert

Don't you think it's a bit late for recriminations, Norbert? Not everyone is a seasoned, experienced piano buyer, in fact, almost nobody is and there are a few 'enticing' salesfolk out there.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2016019 - 01/17/13 10:01 AM Re: essex 123 delivered today - issue [Re: grapesoda8342]
itsfreakingmeout Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas, Virginia

thanks.

Was your piano brand brand new our had it been on the floor for a while? I had an Essex 123 that i miss dearly ( i had to trade it in for a continental piano without legs or toeblock so it could fit up the stairs of my new condo) but I remember mine never sounding it's best; but I think it was because it was brand new and had probably only been tuned a handful of times. Your piano probably just needs time to adjust--When I traded my piano in i made sure and got the floor model that had been out for years; that way I knew it had been broken in and maintained properly.

If you're truly unhappy with the way your piano sounds, give it about two weeks and call the dealer...nohing takes two months to acclimate to an environment, two weeks is plenty. And just remember, they're not calling the shots, you are. Tell them to come fix it the way you like it or you'll take you're 5k else where. It will work I promise.

Edited by itsfreakingmeout (01/17/13 10:03 AM)

if you're thinking about going into that house, don't.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, aesop, 36251, aDino, 38 invisible), 1600 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156334 Topics
2296016 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school student questions..
by lavienrose16
25 minutes 56 seconds ago
August Piano Bar, drinks on the house
by Peyton
Today at 09:40 AM
I just read this at the Yamaha FAQ website
by BrianDX
Today at 09:21 AM
Schimmel DUO piano
by wimpiano
Today at 08:56 AM
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
Today at 08:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission