Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2014692 - 01/14/13 11:56 PM Suggestion on electronic sheet music
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hong Kong
When my book collection and sheet music grow, its quite boring.

If order 30 kindle edition, the cost difference justify a China brand Android tablet. It seems not cost effective.

The other concern is how well it in real playing.

Should you have experience pls. share. Any suggestion better ebook platform are welcome. The kindle seems not so good for sheet music.

Thank you.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2014719 - 01/15/13 02:06 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
I don't understand how music on a tablet would work. Do you tape it to the piano or do you print the music from a printer connected to a tablet? The university has music it has collected for a hundred years and the "music only" would would fill a large classroom. How many pieces of music would you have, thousands or millions of books or sheets of music? How do you mark electronic music, like fingering, etc.? If it is many pages, do you have a foot pedal or a mouse you use to turn the pages electronically? I don't understand how things work. Thanks for any feedback.

#2014753 - 01/15/13 03:47 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Michael_99]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
What has worked very well for me is the free open source notation program "MuseScore" and the Wikifonia download site. MuseScore lets me mark, modify, and finger as I please. I just print out what I need, and I don't read or play well enough to come anywhere close to needing thousands of sheets.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2014759 - 01/15/13 04:28 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Michael, a tablet is compact enough that you can just place it on the piano's music stand, or better, you can get a tripod to mount the tablet securely, like this:

Pages can be turned with a special pedal or just by flipping through the pages with your finger, using the touch screen. It's much faster page turning than with regular sheet music and you don't even have to straighten the pages!

#2014770 - 01/15/13 06:01 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you for the advice.

I will use PC and Linux at this moment. May buy a linux tablet later. For iPad is too expensive.

Its unfortune that sheet music available in Amonzon is kindle only. I think its not a good music sheet platform. It may need scroll up / down in addition to turning pages. Is there any better sheet music platform? I am interest in New Age piano at this moment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#2015260 - 01/16/13 03:12 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
MuseScore has a Linux version, so you can use it.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2015320 - 01/16/13 07:36 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you.
Installed MuseScore.

I am an advanced beginner, music which I interest mostly available in MusicsNote and Amazon. I am looking for David Lanz and George Winston. Their music are shown up in Kindle section marked not available yet.

#2015325 - 01/16/13 07:59 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Allard Offline

David Lanz actually sells sheet music on his website. You can download PDF files. I find it a tad too expensive compared to the physical songbooks, but it might suit your needs.

#2015368 - 01/16/13 09:34 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Michael_99]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Quote:
I don't understand how music on a tablet would work. Do you tape it to the piano or do you print the music from a printer connected to a tablet? The university has music it has collected for a hundred years and the "music only" would would fill a large classroom. How many pieces of music would you have, thousands or millions of books or sheets of music? How do you mark electronic music, like fingering, etc.? If it is many pages, do you have a foot pedal or a mouse you use to turn the pages electronically? I don't understand how things work. Thanks for any feedback.

Michael, this dude is from Hong Kong. Hong Kong apartments are VERY small 400sqft is considered to be a BIG apartment in HK. 200sqft is the size a lot of people live in.

However when an apartment is listed as 400sqft they are usually 320sqft or less. 200sq about 160sqft.

This is because the realtors in HK use sneaky measuring techniques. I.e. they will measure the size from the exterior wall. The space which the walls occupy is considered usable space.

A window sill? Usable space, count it.

An airconditioning shelf? Usable space count it.

The landing on the stairway? Counted.

The space inside the lift? Counted

A small 0.25x0.25 breathing vent in the bathroom? Counted.

Storage cabinet above the sink in the bathroom? Counted!

This is quite typical if you're wealthy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgOveegvhng

This is typical if you are poor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSPVu2hw6lM

Add in the heat and humidity acoustics are rare... there is one sliver of light though. Tom Lee music don't mind you messing with their pianos at all.

#2015485 - 01/16/13 01:25 PM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Michael_99,

The following video explains it pretty good.

The app shown has features that allow you to annotate your music.

LINK

I have hundreds of sheets scanned and organized in my iPad.
I keep it on my piano just as I would a music book. I turn the pages using my finger.

Edited by Kbeaumont (01/16/13 01:25 PM)

#2017414 - 01/19/13 05:01 PM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
I use an iPad.......just downloading pdf in iBooks.......and swapping from page to page.....easy.......

But next to that.........many paper musicsheets......

Johan B

Edited by Johan B (01/19/13 05:03 PM)

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'

#2017683 - 01/20/13 06:38 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Most of the sheet music you need you can find in pdf format online for free. You are not printing it out you are using it on your PC screen. I don't see a problem.

I have been able to find every single piece I need online. Takes 2 seconds. Go to google and type in NAMEOFPIECE Scribd

NAMEOFPIECE is composer and piece you are looking for, this is for more modern pieces. Scribd is the site that hosts the pdf.

Otherwise for classical just get it from:

http://imslp.org/

Edited by Teodor (01/20/13 06:39 AM)

Recitals:

#2017691 - 01/20/13 07:23 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Weiyan]
Allard Offline

Well, -sharing- copyrighted material you don't own is definitely a problem. At the very least, you can't expect the music to remain available on Scribd, since they'll be forced to take it down if asked. Downloading is a no-no in most countries, though I guess merely looking (and memorizing) is okay...

#2032850 - 02/14/13 03:58 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: justpin]
Weiyan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: justpin

Michael, this dude is from Hong Kong. Hong Kong apartments are VERY small 400sqft is considered to be a BIG apartment in HK. 200sqft is the size a lot of people live in.

However when an apartment is listed as 400sqft they are usually 320sqft or less. 200sq about 160sqft.

Justpin had said the truth. Keeping books are very expensive.

#2032851 - 02/14/13 04:06 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: justpin]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
My shack is 450 sq ft. I know how small is.

#2032852 - 02/14/13 04:14 AM Re: Suggestion on electronic sheet music [Re: Allard]
Saranoya Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Allard
Well, -sharing- copyrighted material you don't own is definitely a problem. At the very least, you can't expect the music to remain available on Scribd, since they'll be forced to take it down if asked. Downloading is a no-no in most countries, though I guess merely looking (and memorizing) is okay...

IMSLP is OK, though. Copyright on the music hosted there has long since run out. That said, I still prefer to buy my scores on paper when I can.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (ajames, accordeur, *windowlicker*, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1426 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157092 Topics
2307020 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin's Technician
by laguna_greg
08/27/14 02:03 PM
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
08/27/14 12:47 PM
New old Vose and Sons Upright Piano
by RT White
08/27/14 11:01 AM
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
08/27/14 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
08/27/14 08:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission