2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 266 of 540 1 2 264 265 266 267 268 539 540
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
FarmGirl..... Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great week.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
J
I have my first two pieces memorized. Had my best run through of each this morning. Got excited that the 2nd piece seemed much easier to learn than the first. Let's see how the next one goes.

Kawai MP6 Stage Piano
JBL LSR305 Monitors
J
J
Well done Farmgirl what an achievement, that must feel pretty good laugh

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.
J
J
Originally Posted by jaymes677
I have my first two pieces memorized. Had my best run through of each this morning. Got excited that the 2nd piece seemed much easier to learn than the first. Let's see how the next one goes.

That's awesome Jaymes!

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Farmgirl, we all knew you would thrive at someplace like Summerkeys. I really admire the way you always seem to be putting yourself in just the right spot to push your piano skills to the max. Thanks for the continued inspiration.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
JimF, you are very kind. SummerKeys seem to bring out everyone's music potential. Now my hubby is seriously thinking about picking up violin! I think a week of hungong around with the string players made him think about it. They kindly adopted me into their group and invited us to their hime parties and jamming sessions. It would be great if we could go together. We could have a piano party then.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Jaymes and Jessiebear, welcome to the AOTW tribe.

Farmgirl, I enjoyed reading your Summerkeys updates on the other thread. Usually I am amped up after performing. My crash tends to occur the next day, and the next few days, because of the vast energy expended rehearsing and then performing.

Week 77: I start on some new projects. I learn about the Alberti bass pattern, from a tutorial on how to play the pop song, Come Sail Away by Styx. The pattern is left hand arpeggio: 1 5 3 5 (low note, high note, middle, high) and then repeat. Composer Domenico Alberti [1710-1740 Italy] used the pattern so much, that it is named for him. The most famous occurrence is in the beginning of Mozart's Piano Sonata K545.

I print out an arrangement of Bill Withers, Ain't No Sunshine [when she is gone]. As is often the case, I don't care for the arrangement and will likely do my own, if I want to learn the song. The arranging tends to more than triple the time to learn the song. Triple of what most already think is a snail's pace of learning. That said, my songwriting is what drives me, and arranging is an excellent way to get better at writing my own music, so it is not time wasted.

I spend some time on much neglected scale work. My left hand scale fingering can be all over the place, so I find some fingering charts online and print a few out. I am not a fan of learning all the scales. The one or two for the songs I am working on is plenty. More than that and I get confused.

Have a good week everyone.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 09/01/13 07:38 PM.
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Sand tiger

Thanks for your comment. I admire you and FOYD folks. Probably it's a good thing to keep track of the practice. My Japanese pianist friend does it on his blog. He is an excellent pianist. I am yet to bring myself to that. I'm a bit afraid of organization.

255 Offline
Got my first DP.
Clavinova CLP-430.
I'm very happy, I couldn't live longer with semi-weighted keys, makeshift music stand, low chair, cheap speakers, booting the computer to have decent sound.
I hope this new instrument will make me learn faster.
smile

N
N
FarmGirl, can you share the link to your friend's practice blog? I also started a blog and am curious to see what others are doing.

My achievement of the week is that I memorized the coda of Chopin's Ballade No. 1. It's... clunky, but at least now I'm not constantly referring to the score while practicing. Baby steps, right?

I also put together some wireframes with this music scores website I've been thinking about. It started as something to help me keep track of my practicing, but after talking to some of my music friends, it might turn into a tool others find useful. (If anybody is curious, I put together a questionnaire to gather feedback/explain the site: http://musical.neuralfirings.com/scoresprojectresearch/)

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by neuralfirings
I also put together some wireframes with this music scores website I've been thinking about. It started as something to help me keep track of my practicing, but after talking to some of my music friends, it might turn into a tool others find useful. (If anybody is curious, I put together a questionnaire to gather feedback/explain the site: http://musical.neuralfirings.com/scoresprojectresearch/)

Neuralfirings... not sure if you've posted to AOTW yet or not, but "welcome" regardless.

Unfortunately your link above goes directly to your survey, so I wonder if people will take the time to search for the context of your idea. I hope they do, but if not, I'm linking to what I think is pure genius here. If you can pull off the technical aspects, and get a big enough body of users, I think it would be a fantastic (and fun) resource to share annotations with others.

Re: the score scrolling aspect, check out AirTurn.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Farmgirl. What good news about your husband. When I first met my wife we lived with some musical roommates in Manhattan, one of whom played cello for a symphony orchestra and chamber groups. It was awesome hearing her practice all the time...although I guess listening to a beginner would be more challenging..like what my poor wife has to put up with. cry

Last edited by JimF; 09/02/13 07:49 AM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
N
N
@aTallGuyNH -- thanks for the recommendation. AirTurn looks like a cool product. I think I'll start with the tapping on the iPad, though. It's easier to implement and still an improvement from page turning (those sticky pages!!).

Here's a link to the mockups without having to go through the survey: http://musical.neuralfirings.com/2013/09/notable-scores-wireframes-and-user-survey/

The main thing I need to figure out right now is
1) would people use this (the more people find this helpful, the higher priority it gets on my "side projects" list)
2) which features people would find useful (helps me prioritize all the different features)

I think I'll still do this regardless. It'll help me keep track of my notes while playing piano and make asking questions on Piano World less painful (screenshot pdf, crop, upload, copy link to post..)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AOTW... Wow, haven't had one of these in a loooooong time!

I "fell off the wagon" re: staying away from Clair de Lune. After just a few hours of very slow practice, I have most of it (the portion I had learned previously, which is about half) back in my fingers. Not up to speed, and not memorized, but much further along than I would have expected given steering clear for ~6 months.

It felt good to be playing something where I can actually put something of myself into it.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
If I'm not mistaken its about the time Cheryl come back from her holiday. Missed you.

N
N
@aTallGuyNH - Did you see the Google Doodle for Claire de Lune a few weeks ago? They were celebrate Debussy's birthday!

http://www.google.com/doodles/claude-debussys-151st-birthday

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
aTallGuyNH,
LOL, laugh Your falling off the CDL wagon had me laughing. I worked on CDL when in self-teaching mode all through the Fall of 2009 (using Hugh Sung's CDL thread). When I got my first teacher in January 2010 her first request was that I drop it. I've been on the wagon ever since grin I don't know when I'll be ready to go back to it, but I do feel a lot closer to that point than I was 3 1/2 years ago. And I'm so glad I didn't make a recording back then.....virtually certain I would find it cringe-worthy today no matter what I thought of it back then.

Cheryl, if you are back from Holiday, its not a moment too soon. We have been lazy and the AOTW wallowed on page 2 for several days. Welcome back. thumb

My AOTW was coming up with a base arpeggio pattern to use playing Stella by Starlight from a fakebook and then playing it ok at yesterday's lesson. I got some good tips from her for focusing my practice on both the Puccini and Mozart pieces. She said she had been thinking she'd been assigning me too many "big" pieces and that maybe I was becoming frustrated practicing the same things for weeks on end. So we are going to have some shorter projects coming up in the future, things I might be able to tackle in a few weeks instead of months. Don't really know that I've been frustrated, but I'll welcome the change of pace. She also agrees that I should keep developing a "repertoire" of completed pieces that I can play for enjoyment, so we'll be reviving some things from the past - this week I'm going to start in on bringing back Misty, which I haven't really touched for about two years.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No offense intended to everyone else, but it does feel a little like there is a hole in the middle of AOTW without Cheryl around, and with Sara taking a break too.

Originally Posted by JimF
aTallGuyNH,
LOL, laugh Your falling off the CDL wagon had me laughing. I worked on CDL when in self-teaching mode all through the Fall of 2009 (using Hugh Sung's CDL thread). When I got my first teacher in January 2010 her first request was that I drop it. I've been on the wagon ever since grin I don't know when I'll be ready to go back to it, but I do feel a lot closer to that point than I was 3 1/2 years ago. And I'm so glad I didn't make a recording back then.....virtually certain I would find it cringe-worthy today no matter what I thought of it back then.

Well, you're a better man than I to stay on the wagon. I'm way off now, although I'm planning to re-shelve it in fairly short order -- probably after Boston Street Pianos is done, about a month from now.

In the interim, I'm getting a nice glow from how quickly it is coming back. However, I did get a nice splash of cold water today when I tried to run through the portions that I know at speed, but it was still a mess all around.

I did record the first 18 bars back in December, which is on my YouTube channel. I think the most cringe inducing part is the piano being out of tune, hopefully the performance aspects were OK:
[video:youtube]dR6gezYWBXs[/video]

I just gave it a listen though, and the rhythm was not very good -- I think I have it better now.

If I ever meet Hugh Sung in person, I will be mightily tempted to box his ears for leading so many innocent lambs astray. mad

His "hey, anyone can do it, just give it a try" shtick reminds me of the classic 80's "It'll make you feel good... feel good... feel good..." anti-drug PSA. smile

(Hugh, if you ever read this... I just mean it in good fun... and... can you start a series on Chopin Concerto #1?)

AOTD: Listened to Chopin Concerto #1 (Kissin) and was able to successfully follow along with the score (mostly). Only got off by a few measures a couple times, but was able to catch up/slow down and get back on track quickly. Definitely not something that I would have been able to do 6 months ago.

Also, it was fun to see/hear intervals and have the visual and auditory inputs make sense together -- i.e. ear training is making a difference in my music appreciation and reading skills, even if I'm not doing particularly well at the ear training exercises themselves.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Ok, guys, I'm in the finals. smile

For passing to finals, I earned a voucher to spend in travel agencies and, most important, the opportunity to do a professional video with my participation. So far so good!

Here is the video.

PS: The preview is not working... sorry.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Just wanted to drop in this morning and say "hi". Playing the Grieg pieces so they sound musical to me is my achievement this week...now if I can record one that captures that this weekend. My work life is super busy this fall and finding any practice time has been tough but I've been up at 4 to squeeze some in before heading out to the highway. I've been fairly ambitious working on several pieces at the same time. Some (like the Debussy Arabesque) are a measure or two at a time. My teacher has assigned us all some Beethoven for our next piano sharing. I've got a movement (maybe two) from #14 Sonata in E Major. Three lines so far. Any mountain can be climbed a step at a time.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Page 266 of 540 1 2 264 265 266 267 268 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission