Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2014877 - 01/15/13 11:12 AM One month until the 29th ABF Recital!
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Don't panic, but it's one month until the 29th ABF Recital goes live (Feb 15), and two weeks until the submission period begins (Feb 1).

Check the Recital Page for info about the recitals.

And check the Recital Index to see what we have done in the past.

Hope to hear you in the recital!

Sam

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2014886 - 01/15/13 11:43 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Man, I meant to have my piece recorded by now! wink

Kawai K3

#2014896 - 01/15/13 12:19 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Well, believe I'll ready to submit on day 1 of submissions! woohoo!

I'm polishing up my piece this week with fine-tuning of dynamics and then will work on dealing with the dreaded red-dot!

#2014898 - 01/15/13 12:27 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Aack!! Aaack!! I am so not ready. help

#2014910 - 01/15/13 12:52 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Aack!! Aaack!! I am so not ready. help

Monica! Where have you been? Haven't heard from you for awhile here. You've been keeping a "low profile"...

Were you in the witness protection program or just on sabbatical from PianoWorld?

Thought maybe you had reverted back to your prior instrument of choice and where now cruising over in AccordianWorld laugh

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2014920 - 01/15/13 01:08 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Time to start practising eek

#2014924 - 01/15/13 01:17 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
This recital is a milestone of sorts for me - I have completed 5 years back at the piano, and 4 years of ABF Recitals without missing one.

Now I have probably jinxed my streak by mentioning it. My piece is far from ready. At last week's lesson, my teacher said, "Are you sure you want to play this piece?"

Sam

#2014948 - 01/15/13 02:08 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Don't panic, but it's one month until the 29th ABF Recital goes live (Feb 15), and two weeks until the submission period begins (Feb 1).

Too late ... already in panic mode. I had a feeling this would be coming out soon and so, time to shift into high gear. I'm not in too bad of shape, but definitely more rehearsal is in order. Let alone facing the red dot.

Much looking forward to it though, as always.

#2014957 - 01/15/13 02:19 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

Monica! Where have you been? Haven't heard from you for awhile here. You've been keeping a "low profile"...

Were you in the witness protection program or just on sabbatical from PianoWorld?

Thought maybe you had reverted back to your prior instrument of choice and where now cruising over in AccordianWorld laugh

LOL. No, I have merely discovered the truth that tens of millions of women already knew: Being a stay at home mom leaves one with less disposable time during the day than having a desk job. wink It seems that back when I was employed and spent all day in an office with easy access to the internet, I could jot off a quick post here and there with no difficulty. Nowadays I'm spending most of my time being a member of the sandwich generation (taking care of two kids who are busy with homework and extracurriculars, not to mention dealing with my 93 year old father in law who has Alzheimer's) and not nearly enough time goofing off on the internet or--worse yet--playing piano. Hence the panic attack about the upcoming recital. eek

#2015016 - 01/15/13 04:29 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
Oh no, no, no. I still need 3 months....

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 2 Danny Boy, Canon in D, Simply Joplin Bethena Solace.

#2015017 - 01/15/13 04:36 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
There is always another recital three months later cool

#2015041 - 01/15/13 05:16 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Holy schmokes this one caught me offguard. Same as it did last year at this time. The thing is, if you're one of the habitual early bird submitters because you want to be higher up on the list...(guilty!), you only have 2 weeks left before gates open.

[Insert STRESS here!].

Even MORE stress if you have absolutely nothing in the works but still find you MUST be one of the early bird submitters.

[New years goal.....handle self imposed stress better!].

#2015042 - 01/15/13 05:21 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Holy schmokes this one caught me offguard. Same as it did last year at this time. The thing is, if you're one of the habitual early bird submitters because you want to be higher up on the list...(guilty!), you only have 2 weeks left before gates open.

[Insert STRESS here!].

Even MORE stress if you have absolutely nothing in the works but still find you MUST be one of the early bird submitters.

[New years goal.....handle self imposed stress better!].

I've only been near the beginning (10th I think) once...it is quite exciting to know folks are likely to listen to you the first day --- but on the other hand I've noticed that a lot of folks are getting really creative about how they go about their listening and commenting! You never know when your piece will be heard!

BTW... I think I've already picked out my piece for MAY smile lol.

#2015224 - 01/16/13 01:11 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I've been consumed now for 3 nights with a new song that just dropped out of the sky into my lap - (I honestly didn't ask for this.) I had to learn to sing and play while discovering that it's not as hard as it seems - and that my vocal range just ain't all I thought it was. (or used to be) So it really is harder than it seems. laugh

Not a lot of time to learn how to sing, tie up the loose transitions, fill in the lyrics, and figure out how to record it.

And my piano needs to be tuned. tired

Luckily I have 4 pieces (not songs smokin) on reserve ready to be recorded - if I get a chance to - or a tuned piano - or a sore throat. (ahem)

#2015229 - 01/16/13 01:21 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I can submit the Brahms piece. If I get the Bach piece together, I may swap it with Brahms.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2015244 - 01/16/13 02:22 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Haven't posted here in a long time and reading the posts.... something never change!!! No promises here, been too busy tuning, repairing and trying to find time to finish up my 1916 S&S "O"
PTG Associate

#2015249 - 01/16/13 02:43 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Great! I had two pieces recorded for the last recital and I could submit only 1 then so I'm going to be lazy laugh

#2015250 - 01/16/13 02:44 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>1916 S&S "O"

Would be nice to hear the progress!

#2015251 - 01/16/13 02:45 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: FarmGirl]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I can submit the Brahms piece. If I get the Bach piece together, I may swap it with Brahms.

Don't bother, I prefer Brahms grin

#2015257 - 01/16/13 03:02 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: wouter79]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I hope to have my recording done this weekend. I probably just jinxed myself by saying that! I seem to be able to play the piece without mistakes until I turn on the recorder. I have two pieces ready to record, and hopefully one of them will make it to the recital.

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2015296 - 01/16/13 06:29 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
...Nowadays I'm spending most of my time being a member of the sandwich generation (taking care of two kids who are busy with homework and extracurriculars, not to mention dealing with my 93 year old father in law who has Alzheimer's) and not nearly enough time goofing off on the internet or--worse yet--playing piano.

I think I understand - my 96 year old mother lives with us - was born during WWI - fortunately, so far she has most of her health and wits about her - spends most of her time watching pro football (Ravens) and major league baseball (Nationals) and cheering (or swearing) vociferously at her big screen TV - she's going so well I think I may be in a nursing home before she is smile - Thinks my piano playing is "nice", but then she's 95% deaf laugh

#2015350 - 01/16/13 08:48 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Well, I've my piece ready to do a proper record. I don't have practicing in the last weeks (my mother in law died in the 1st day of the year, and I've been giving some support to my sad wife), but I think I can do a record in time to participate in this recital.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2015396 - 01/16/13 10:35 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Hi Les!

Cathy

#2015400 - 01/16/13 10:42 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
If not for these recitals I would not be tuning my piano even half as often as I do. Here I go again....

#2015401 - 01/16/13 10:43 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Well, I've my piece ready to do a proper record. I don't have practicing in the last weeks (my mother in law died in the 1st day of the year, and I've been giving some support to my sad wife), but I think I can do a record in time to participate in this recital.

Condolences Carlos - my mother-in-law passed away on 2 January last year - it is a sad way to begin a new year.
I hope you manage to record a piece, it is always a pleasure to listen to your music

#2015459 - 01/16/13 12:35 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: BenPiano]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
I've been consumed now for 3 nights with a new song that just dropped out of the sky into my lap - (I honestly didn't ask for this.) I had to learn to sing and play while discovering that it's not as hard as it seems - and that my vocal range just ain't all I thought it was. (or used to be) So it really is harder than it seems. laugh

Not a lot of time to learn how to sing, tie up the loose transitions, fill in the lyrics, and figure out how to record it.

And my piano needs to be tuned. tired

Luckily I have 4 pieces (not songs smokin) on reserve ready to be recorded - if I get a chance to - or a tuned piano - or a sore throat. (ahem)

This should be good.

#2015491 - 01/16/13 01:34 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: hawgdriver]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
This should be good.

Many thanks, but I would strongly recommend a significantly low expectation for this. whome

#2015501 - 01/16/13 01:46 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: BenPiano]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
This should be good.

Many thanks, but I would strongly recommend a significantly low expectation for this. whome

So noted ...

... scribbles, BenPiano says expect more of the same ...

... Oops, that wasn't for public consumption!

wink

Kawai K3

#2016005 - 01/17/13 09:05 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: jotur]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Originally Posted By: jotur
Hi Les!

Cathy

Hi Cathy....been a long time, I need to spend a little more time over here.... smile
PTG Associate

#2018188 - 01/21/13 06:46 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm working on a beautiful tune from the Broadway stage but I keep changing the arrangement (I have a nasty habit of doing this), which is not highly conducive to the goal of getting it recorded...

If in the end (or "at the end of the day" as the politicians always say) I'm not satisfied - either with the arrangement or the recording or both - I may submit a lively and lovely Christmas song that I started work on before then but just got a good take on - late for this season, yes (or way early for next), but what can one do? "Kick the can down the road" to the next Recital?

Trap

Edited to add: GO RAVENS! smile

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/21/13 06:52 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spare parts forTechnics SX-P30 (late 90s)
by T E Bekken
54 minutes 31 seconds ago
Notation Question in Ravel
by Anne H
Today at 12:52 AM
Viennese Action
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:36 AM
Besides Evenness, Any other tips for good Trilling?
by Paul678
Today at 12:15 AM
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Who's Online
85 registered (Badinage, alfredo capurso, 22 invisible), 1199 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157906 Topics
2319068 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission