Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2014877 - 01/15/13 11:12 AM One month until the 29th ABF Recital!
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Don't panic, but it's one month until the 29th ABF Recital goes live (Feb 15), and two weeks until the submission period begins (Feb 1).

Check the Recital Page for info about the recitals.

And check the Recital Index to see what we have done in the past.

Hope to hear you in the recital!

Sam

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2014886 - 01/15/13 11:43 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Man, I meant to have my piece recorded by now! wink

Kawai K3

#2014896 - 01/15/13 12:19 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Well, believe I'll ready to submit on day 1 of submissions! woohoo!

I'm polishing up my piece this week with fine-tuning of dynamics and then will work on dealing with the dreaded red-dot!

#2014898 - 01/15/13 12:27 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Aack!! Aaack!! I am so not ready. help

#2014910 - 01/15/13 12:52 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
Aack!! Aaack!! I am so not ready. help

Monica! Where have you been? Haven't heard from you for awhile here. You've been keeping a "low profile"...

Were you in the witness protection program or just on sabbatical from PianoWorld?

Thought maybe you had reverted back to your prior instrument of choice and where now cruising over in AccordianWorld laugh

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2014920 - 01/15/13 01:08 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Time to start practising eek

#2014924 - 01/15/13 01:17 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This recital is a milestone of sorts for me - I have completed 5 years back at the piano, and 4 years of ABF Recitals without missing one.

Now I have probably jinxed my streak by mentioning it. My piece is far from ready. At last week's lesson, my teacher said, "Are you sure you want to play this piece?"

Sam

#2014948 - 01/15/13 02:08 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Online   content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Sam S
Don't panic, but it's one month until the 29th ABF Recital goes live (Feb 15), and two weeks until the submission period begins (Feb 1).

Too late ... already in panic mode. I had a feeling this would be coming out soon and so, time to shift into high gear. I'm not in too bad of shape, but definitely more rehearsal is in order. Let alone facing the red dot.

Much looking forward to it though, as always.

#2014957 - 01/15/13 02:19 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: TrapperJohn]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn

Monica! Where have you been? Haven't heard from you for awhile here. You've been keeping a "low profile"...

Were you in the witness protection program or just on sabbatical from PianoWorld?

Thought maybe you had reverted back to your prior instrument of choice and where now cruising over in AccordianWorld laugh

LOL. No, I have merely discovered the truth that tens of millions of women already knew: Being a stay at home mom leaves one with less disposable time during the day than having a desk job. wink It seems that back when I was employed and spent all day in an office with easy access to the internet, I could jot off a quick post here and there with no difficulty. Nowadays I'm spending most of my time being a member of the sandwich generation (taking care of two kids who are busy with homework and extracurriculars, not to mention dealing with my 93 year old father in law who has Alzheimer's) and not nearly enough time goofing off on the internet or--worse yet--playing piano. Hence the panic attack about the upcoming recital. eek

#2015016 - 01/15/13 04:29 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
Oh no, no, no. I still need 3 months....

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#2015017 - 01/15/13 04:36 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Allard Offline

There is always another recital three months later cool

#2015041 - 01/15/13 05:16 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Holy schmokes this one caught me offguard. Same as it did last year at this time. The thing is, if you're one of the habitual early bird submitters because you want to be higher up on the list...(guilty!), you only have 2 weeks left before gates open.

[Insert STRESS here!].

Even MORE stress if you have absolutely nothing in the works but still find you MUST be one of the early bird submitters.

[New years goal.....handle self imposed stress better!].

#2015042 - 01/15/13 05:21 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Holy schmokes this one caught me offguard. Same as it did last year at this time. The thing is, if you're one of the habitual early bird submitters because you want to be higher up on the list...(guilty!), you only have 2 weeks left before gates open.

[Insert STRESS here!].

Even MORE stress if you have absolutely nothing in the works but still find you MUST be one of the early bird submitters.

[New years goal.....handle self imposed stress better!].

I've only been near the beginning (10th I think) once...it is quite exciting to know folks are likely to listen to you the first day --- but on the other hand I've noticed that a lot of folks are getting really creative about how they go about their listening and commenting! You never know when your piece will be heard!

BTW... I think I've already picked out my piece for MAY smile lol.

#2015224 - 01/16/13 01:11 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I've been consumed now for 3 nights with a new song that just dropped out of the sky into my lap - (I honestly didn't ask for this.) I had to learn to sing and play while discovering that it's not as hard as it seems - and that my vocal range just ain't all I thought it was. (or used to be) So it really is harder than it seems. laugh

Not a lot of time to learn how to sing, tie up the loose transitions, fill in the lyrics, and figure out how to record it.

And my piano needs to be tuned. tired

Luckily I have 4 pieces (not songs smokin) on reserve ready to be recorded - if I get a chance to - or a tuned piano - or a sore throat. (ahem)

#2015229 - 01/16/13 01:21 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I can submit the Brahms piece. If I get the Bach piece together, I may swap it with Brahms.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2015244 - 01/16/13 02:22 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Haven't posted here in a long time and reading the posts.... something never change!!! No promises here, been too busy tuning, repairing and trying to find time to finish up my 1916 S&S "O"
PTG Associate

#2015249 - 01/16/13 02:43 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Great! I had two pieces recorded for the last recital and I could submit only 1 then so I'm going to be lazy laugh

#2015250 - 01/16/13 02:44 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>1916 S&S "O"

Would be nice to hear the progress!

#2015251 - 01/16/13 02:45 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: FarmGirl]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I can submit the Brahms piece. If I get the Bach piece together, I may swap it with Brahms.

Don't bother, I prefer Brahms grin

#2015257 - 01/16/13 03:02 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: wouter79]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I hope to have my recording done this weekend. I probably just jinxed myself by saying that! I seem to be able to play the piece without mistakes until I turn on the recorder. I have two pieces ready to record, and hopefully one of them will make it to the recital.

#2015296 - 01/16/13 06:29 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Monica K.]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...Nowadays I'm spending most of my time being a member of the sandwich generation (taking care of two kids who are busy with homework and extracurriculars, not to mention dealing with my 93 year old father in law who has Alzheimer's) and not nearly enough time goofing off on the internet or--worse yet--playing piano.

I think I understand - my 96 year old mother lives with us - was born during WWI - fortunately, so far she has most of her health and wits about her - spends most of her time watching pro football (Ravens) and major league baseball (Nationals) and cheering (or swearing) vociferously at her big screen TV - she's going so well I think I may be in a nursing home before she is smile - Thinks my piano playing is "nice", but then she's 95% deaf laugh

#2015350 - 01/16/13 08:48 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Well, I've my piece ready to do a proper record. I don't have practicing in the last weeks (my mother in law died in the 1st day of the year, and I've been giving some support to my sad wife), but I think I can do a record in time to participate in this recital.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2015396 - 01/16/13 10:35 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Hi Les!

Cathy

#2015400 - 01/16/13 10:42 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
If not for these recitals I would not be tuning my piano even half as often as I do. Here I go again....

#2015401 - 01/16/13 10:43 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Well, I've my piece ready to do a proper record. I don't have practicing in the last weeks (my mother in law died in the 1st day of the year, and I've been giving some support to my sad wife), but I think I can do a record in time to participate in this recital.

Condolences Carlos - my mother-in-law passed away on 2 January last year - it is a sad way to begin a new year.
I hope you manage to record a piece, it is always a pleasure to listen to your music

#2015459 - 01/16/13 12:35 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: BenPiano]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
I've been consumed now for 3 nights with a new song that just dropped out of the sky into my lap - (I honestly didn't ask for this.) I had to learn to sing and play while discovering that it's not as hard as it seems - and that my vocal range just ain't all I thought it was. (or used to be) So it really is harder than it seems. laugh

Not a lot of time to learn how to sing, tie up the loose transitions, fill in the lyrics, and figure out how to record it.

And my piano needs to be tuned. tired

Luckily I have 4 pieces (not songs smokin) on reserve ready to be recorded - if I get a chance to - or a tuned piano - or a sore throat. (ahem)

This should be good.

#2015491 - 01/16/13 01:34 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: hawgdriver]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
This should be good.

Many thanks, but I would strongly recommend a significantly low expectation for this. whome

#2015501 - 01/16/13 01:46 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: BenPiano]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
This should be good.

Many thanks, but I would strongly recommend a significantly low expectation for this. whome

So noted ...

... scribbles, BenPiano says expect more of the same ...

... Oops, that wasn't for public consumption!

wink

Kawai K3

#2016005 - 01/17/13 09:05 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: jotur]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Originally Posted By: jotur
Hi Les!

Cathy

Hi Cathy....been a long time, I need to spend a little more time over here.... smile
PTG Associate

#2018188 - 01/21/13 06:46 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I'm working on a beautiful tune from the Broadway stage but I keep changing the arrangement (I have a nasty habit of doing this), which is not highly conducive to the goal of getting it recorded...

If in the end (or "at the end of the day" as the politicians always say) I'm not satisfied - either with the arrangement or the recording or both - I may submit a lively and lovely Christmas song that I started work on before then but just got a good take on - late for this season, yes (or way early for next), but what can one do? "Kick the can down the road" to the next Recital?

Trap

Edited to add: GO RAVENS! smile

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/21/13 06:52 AM)

#2018226 - 01/21/13 08:39 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I recorded my piece yesterday, but there were a few misses. Therefore I keep this recording just as backup and hope to be able to make a better one before the deadline.

#2018982 - 01/22/13 12:05 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

I think I've got my piece in good enough shape to start attempting a recording... *except* it's not fully memorized yet, and the danged thing is 6 pages long. Aarrggh.

#2018989 - 01/22/13 12:17 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Online   content

Your post, Ganddalf motivated me to give this a try. I realize now I have a lot more work to do then I had thought. Perhaps I should have started sooner, but thankfully there is still time.

The Red dot syndrome is upon me. This is the little regimen/game I play with myself that seems to help. Keeping in mind, I have always been my own worst enemy. Basically, I try to put myself in the shoes of the pro's.

Conversation with Self:
"C'mon Greener, you can do better then that. What are you, an amateur or a professional?"

Answer: amateur

"Yes, I know. But I HATE that answer"

"Well then, if you HATE that answer, perhaps you should start acting more professional"

OK, take 25 ...

"There we have it, good enough to submit. After all I am only an amateur" smile

#2019035 - 01/22/13 01:19 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Meanwhile, over in the adjoining recording studio...

Peter Professional bangs his highly skilled but fragile and delicate hands down on the keyboard in utter exasperation after the 25th take, and after cursing in gutter-like terms that would make a truck driver or lumberjack blush (is that possible?) says to himself:

"For crying out loud Pete you moron, are you a high paid, world famous professional or a freakin' amateur?"

To which he answers: "A professional, of course, you jerk-face!"

In response to which he says: "Yes, I Know - and I LOVE that answer. And don't you forget it, you lowlife!"

And then replies: "Well, if you love it then stop acting like a rank amateur and start playing like the arrogant and egotistical pro you are - this studio recording time is expensive!"

25 takes later: "Finally, a take even I can live with - print it - it'll sell like hot funnel cake."

Moral of the story: Pianists of every level wrestle with the red dot - some "opponents" are bigger than others and some matches just cost more than others...

#2019049 - 01/22/13 01:30 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Allard Offline

The only real difference between professional and amateur is whether you earn a living with it. Has little to do with skill or talent. But if you're serious about your hobby, keep practising! laugh

(Why am I writing this, instead of practicing for the recital?)

#2019141 - 01/22/13 03:58 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
The only difference between a amateur and a professional is...

An amateur practices until he gets it right....

A professional practices until he can't do it wrong.

(or something like that...) smile

#2019450 - 01/23/13 04:56 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm out of luck ... I caught a bad flu and I could not record anything this week-end ... frown

I think it's the first time I'm almost 4 weeks without playing... Are we nearing at the end of the world??????

CarlosCC records

#2019486 - 01/23/13 07:35 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Ouch, I should really take part in this one... I think I have 2 or 3 tunes that I might try to record... actually I wanted to finish book 2 first but I still have two songs and the Canon in D to do eek

#2019613 - 01/23/13 12:03 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: jazzwee]
Starr Keys Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: jazzwee

That's it exactly! I love it, Jazzwee...BTW, I just started taking a Jazz improv class at our town's comm. college. We're using Aebersold play-alongs. Pressure is on not to do it wrong.

#2019645 - 01/23/13 12:44 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Oh dear, I've not got anything ready for this recital.The last couple of months have just been wall to wall Mendelssohn.The only other things I've picked at recently have been Bach's Allemande from French suite no 4 and a nice arrangement of As if we never said goodbye from Sunset Boulevard.I might get one of them in by the deadline.

#2019670 - 01/23/13 01:42 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Starr Keys]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: Starr Keys
Originally Posted By: jazzwee

That's it exactly! I love it, Jazzwee...BTW, I just started taking a Jazz improv class at our town's comm. college. We're using Aebersold play-alongs. Pressure is on not to do it wrong.

That's great! Keep it simple and slow at first. Brain has to get used to the idea. Unfortunately Aebersolds are too fast.

#2020337 - 01/24/13 01:04 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: CarlosCC]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
I'm out of luck ... I caught a bad flu and I could not record anything this week-end ... frown

I think it's the first time I'm almost 4 weeks without playing... Are we nearing at the end of the world??????

That can't be it, end of the world was december last year ?

#2020460 - 01/24/13 03:18 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Wow. I promised myself I would participate this year and boy did this sneak up! None of my bigger pieces are ready, so I will do a smaller piece I started a week or two ago. I hope it's ready in time!

#2021362 - 01/25/13 08:30 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
I've got nothing and honestly don't expect to have anything frown. The piano sounds awful and there's just been so much stress around here lately I don't see anything coming together. Maybe next time...

#2022112 - 01/27/13 10:46 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

After a short stop (forced), I'm back!
I did a warm-up with some older pieces and I felt so good that I took the positive wave and I did a (decent) recording of my piece to participate in the next recital.
Count me in! thumb

PS: My flu has gone, too!

CarlosCC records

#2022178 - 01/27/13 12:46 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Online   content

My appointment with the red dot has been booked for this Wednesday at 10:00am. Scrambling now to get this sucker up to recital tempo and while still error free of course, is the goal. eek .

#2022199 - 01/27/13 01:33 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I think I might want to try my hand at this recital thing. Trouble is, I just sold my MIDI-equipped Roland RD-150 yesterday, which means the easy way of getting my music onto the internet just vanished.

Quick question: has anyone ever tried recording a grand piano using an iPhone? That's all I have right now ... I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2022211 - 01/27/13 01:51 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Saranoya]
Valencia Offline

Hi Saranoya, I have a very basic recording set up here....using the cheapest digital recorder there is, and recording my decades old digital piano that is plugged into a radio because it doesn't have external speakers. I just set the recorder next to the radio and then transfer the file to my computer and fix it up with Audacity (free program). Last recital i submitted an entry recorded this way, so I say just do the best you can with what you've got and don't let not having an ideal recording set up stop you from participating!

#2022853 - 01/28/13 01:46 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Still don't have my piece memorized. But the piano is freshly tuned, and the recital opens in a couple of days. Can't procrastinate much longer. eek

#2022884 - 01/28/13 02:45 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Greener]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener
My appointment with the red dot has been booked for this Wednesday at 10:00am. Scrambling now to get this sucker up to recital tempo and while still error free of course, is the goal. eek .

Greener, please don't think I am watching your every move, (I just want to help!), but having a predetermined date, place and exact time to perform a piece as a beginner who may not have the piece perfectly down yet is a recipe for either MORE stress or worse.

I've tried doing what you are about to do (specific day, time etc), but unfortunately it never worked out for me. I ALWAYS have gotten my best recordings very late at night when I am more than half asleep and didn't overly care about the recording to begin with because I was so relaxed.

This lackadaisical recording attitude helps me tremendously with handling my recording stress levels. Unfortunately however recording this way comes at a cost of diminished dynamics and emotion (because I am more than half asleep) but first things first.

Once I fully conquer the red dot recording stress I will work harder at performance dynamics, emotional input etc but I can't even get there until I get the recording stress level under control.

My suggestion: DON"T have any specific per-set time to record but instead be ready to record at any time. This way if you actually are having a good practice session, go ahead and record it. You won't have any pre built up stresses to deal with and you will have your tune recorded calmly without hardly even knowing it.

I can feel the passion in your posts and have been there (still am!) which is why I can offer a little suggestion here and there. Just take it easy and as odd as this may sound...don't try too hard. I usually never say this because many people don't try hard enough but trying too hard too soon can easily lead to frustration if you're not careful.

Everything in moderation, plus an extra scoop.

#2022903 - 01/28/13 03:12 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

So I have a recording... two silly bluesy pieces from my Alfred's book. The harder I try, the worse they come out so I think I will use one of the first takes. I'm starting to think that recording is worse than playing for other people... when you play for somebody a hesitation or a harsh tone is quickly forgotten, while a recording is inescapable and shows you all your mistakes and embarrassments every time you listen to it eek

laugh

#2022914 - 01/28/13 03:27 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Greener Online   content

Good for you Sinophilia. I'm sure it will be great.

My suggestion: DON"T have any specific per-set time to record but instead be ready to record at any time. This way if you actually are having a good practice session, go ahead and record it. You won't have any pre built up stresses to deal with and you will have your tune recorded calmly without hardly even knowing it.

Thanks for the concern Mr. SH. Yes, I agree, I am a sucker for punishment.

The situation is this: I have a friend that is a sound guy. He is coming over with better Mics and pre-amp then I have and the date and time is set. He volunteered and wants to do it. It will cost me lunch is all.

If it doesn't work out my fall back is my own stuff with still plenty of time. The piece I have is well rehearsed and I do not think I will be wasting his time.

Your advice is well received though, and thanks again for the concern. If I can do better then my own stuff though, I'm going to give it a shot.

#2022931 - 01/28/13 04:00 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Okay Greener, I understand. I would go for it too.

Quickly, my past recording mistakes include (but certainly NOT limited to):

.Getting too excited thereby playing too loud in sections which will clip (distortion) the recording.

. Setting the gain control on the recording device inaccurately which results in a recording that is either too soft (my last recital recording) or too loud.

. Concentrating too much on performing the piece correctly or ensuring that the piano is tuned and sounds good only to drop the ball on what will make MORE of a difference than anything else. That being 'ROOM ACOUSTICS'.... (Good luck with that one btw 'cuz you'll need it!).

. And finally, using recording equipment that is 'TOO GOOD'! I used to use a pair of Rode studio quality condenser mics along with a Behringer mixing board and the end result was HORRIBLE as you could hear every single micro mistake and flaw. Using the Zoom actually turned out much better recordings as it was not as extremely sensitive and tended not to highlight my constant shortcomings.

I hope these little tips help.

#2022940 - 01/28/13 04:10 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The curse of the red dot ... I felt good recording this afternoon and then noticed, "Memory card full.".

Grrrrhh!!!

Kawai K3

#2023000 - 01/28/13 05:49 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I wish my piece was ready. I never seem to be able to make the deadline.

Recitals:

#2023035 - 01/28/13 07:47 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Saranoya]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"Quick question: has anyone ever tried recording a grand piano using an iPhone? That's all I have right now ... I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?"

Recording quality out of a mobile phone isn`t bad . .but stereo might be a prob!

I`ve recorded mine once. Piano sounds fine; I do not . . . .now, wat video would be best for this I wonder? Does anybody really want to see me playing? Ha ha . . . The dog`ll jump on my lap; that`d be funny . . .

""

#2023076 - 01/28/13 08:56 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: peterws]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
"Quick question: has anyone ever tried recording a grand piano using an iPhone? That's all I have right now ... I'm guessing I shouldn't bother?"

Recording quality out of a mobile phone isn`t bad . .but stereo might be a prob!

I`ve recorded mine once. Piano sounds fine; I do not . . . .now, wat video would be best for this I wonder? Does anybody really want to see me playing? Ha ha . . . The dog`ll jump on my lap; that`d be funny . . .

Actually I think a few people have. I can't remember who but the quality was not as bad as one would have figured. Still nothing to write home about.....

#2023256 - 01/29/13 04:29 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Okay Greener, I understand. I would go for it too.

.Getting too excited thereby playing too loud in sections which will clip (distortion) the recording.

. Setting the gain control on the recording device inaccurately which results in a recording that is either too soft (my last recital recording) or too loud.

. Concentrating too much on performing the piece correctly or ensuring that the piano is tuned and sounds good only to drop the ball on what will make MORE of a difference than anything else. That being 'ROOM ACOUSTICS'.... (Good luck with that one btw 'cuz you'll need it!).

. And finally, using recording equipment that is 'TOO GOOD'! I used to use a pair of Rode studio quality condenser mics along with a Behringer mixing board and the end result was HORRIBLE as you could hear every single micro mistake and flaw. Using the Zoom actually turned out much better recordings as it was not as extremely sensitive and tended not to highlight my constant shortcomings.

A friend of mine, who also is a sound guy, went to my home and noticed the diference between the sound of my records and the sound of me playing live. I told him, that more important than the quality of the records, is the performance itself. I explained that ABF recitals members are not sound professionals, and everybody knows that and we all have that in mind.

I did 9 records to ABF recitals, and I'm still trying to reach the "perfect sound" trying diferent configurations both on the Piano and on PC. I think it's a good approach.

CarlosCC records

#2023287 - 01/29/13 06:21 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: peterws]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:

I heard a few attempts before. Main problem is that people don't FIX THE VOLUME. If the device is auto-voluming your piece, all your attempts at dynamic changes will be leveled out. It never became clear to me if fixing the volume can be done at all with iPhone

Other than that, I suggest to put the iPhone a meter from the open lid such that it can 'see' the strings. Point it towards the strings as well. Then check the fixed volume against the loudest part you want to play and keep some safety margin

Edited by wouter79 (01/29/13 06:40 AM)

#2023313 - 01/29/13 07:49 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Greener Online   content

And the one I would add to this list is; focusing on getting a clean (mistake free) recording, only to discover upon the umpteenth take when I finally have one, that it is completely flat of dynamics and expression. This is my greatest failure to date as it is always this take I end up with. I feel like I have to put in a disclaimer ... "but I can play it better ... honest, just not today smile ".

#2023335 - 01/29/13 08:56 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Greener]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Things are not going well at my house. We have a sick cat, which has to be isolated from the other cat, and the only place to do that in the house is the room with the piano. She's happy in there, but she does not care for my piano playing at all. When I start to play she gets very vocal and wants out of that room. So then I have to isolate her in a bathroom, and she doesn't like that at all, and so on and so forth. Life's little dramas...

So don't be surprised to hear loud meows in my recording this time - assuming I can concentrate with all that going on!

Sam

#2023336 - 01/29/13 08:58 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Offline

Things are not going well at my house. We have a sick cat, which has to be isolated from the other cat, and the only place to do that in the house is the room with the piano. She's happy in there, but she does not care for my piano playing at all. When I start to play she gets very vocal and wants out of that room. So then I have to isolate her in a bathroom, and she doesn't like that at all, and so on and so forth. Life's little dramas...

So don't be surprised to hear loud meows in my recording this time - assuming I can concentrate with all that going on!

Sam

Maybe you should play something from.......Cats? smile
Good luck! And hope your sick kitty feels better soon.

#2023380 - 01/29/13 10:51 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Teodor]
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted By: Teodor
I wish my piece was ready. I never seem to be able to make the deadline.

So here's the perfect strategy: Record your piece the week AFTER the recital deadline, hang onto it for three months, then submit for the next recital. Rinse and repeat. grin

#2023577 - 01/29/13 05:50 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Greener]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener

And the one I would add to this list is; focusing on getting a clean (mistake free) recording, only to discover upon the umpteenth take when I finally have one, that it is completely flat of dynamics and expression. This is my greatest failure to date as it is always this take I end up with. I feel like I have to put in a disclaimer ... "but I can play it better ... honest, just not today smile ". [/quote]

Greener, I can speak from experience on this one.

In the past, I have always (without exception) been able to perform my recital piece better at around one-two weeks AFTER the recital. In other words I am 'peaking' about 2 weeks too late. and I now know why....and it's not what you think!

For me at least, it is a balance between learning the tune good enough to be able to play it well vs getting sick of playing the same tune over and over again. If I play a tune too many times I will start to get sick of it and it becomes harder to add dramatic emotional input; especially if your emotions are the opposite of what you are trying to put into the piece at the time.

Think about it, after playing something for the brazillionth time working on the same sections, it's hard to get the same sized goosebumps you did the first time you heard the piece or played it.

For me, I have to be careful with this because at a certain point, continuing to practice the same tune over and over will be counter productive. I will start to lose interest in it and I don't want to force my hobby upon myself.

Once the stress is off (recital has passed), and I'm not sick to death of playing the same piece,.. THAT'S when I can play the tune at my best. Usually 1-2 weeks post recital.

Oh well!

#2023640 - 01/29/13 07:57 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: casinitaly]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
...We have a sick cat...When I start to play she gets very vocal and wants out of that room...
So don't be surprised to hear loud meows in my recording...

Maybe you should play something from.......Cats? smile

smile

A doggone good idea - could help to avoid a recording cat-astrophe...

#2023649 - 01/29/13 08:15 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mr. Super-Hunky, would it work to learn the piece, and then let it rest for a week or two before the recital?

#2023664 - 01/29/13 08:52 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: PianoStudent88]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Mr. Super-Hunky, would it work to learn the piece, and then let it rest for a week or two before the recital?

That's ridiculous as it makes too much sense! haha. But to answer your question, 'Yes' in terms of not getting sick of playing it and 'no' because part of the stress IS the red devil-dot. Getting sick of playing a piece to the point of 'forcing' emotions into it can be dealt with by just allowing a little time to pass before playing it again. That works out okay. 1/2 the problem solved. The other half is the recording stress. Is is getting better but still far from a first take scenario.

Btw, just to add something else to the mix. After about a month goes by without playing a tune, I will most likely have to completely re-learn it because I tend to forget them quickly. Possibly a blonde thing, not sure!

Edited by Mr Super-Hunky (01/29/13 08:56 PM)

#2023703 - 01/29/13 10:18 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
lyricmudra Offline

I read cognitive scientist Sian Beilock's book entitled 'Choke' a couple of months ago and thought now that it would be most appropriate for all of us who have to deal with the dreaded 'red dot'. :-) Below is a link summarizing her work. You can watch an interview of Sian Beilock as well.

http://mag.uchicago.edu/science-medicine/performance-anxiety

#2023724 - 01/29/13 10:59 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: lyricmudra]
Sand Tiger Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: lyricmudra
I read cognitive scientist Sian Beilock's book entitled 'Choke' a couple of months ago and thought now that it would be most appropriate for all of us who have to deal with the dreaded 'red dot'. :-) Below is a link summarizing her work. You can watch an interview of Sian Beilock as well.

http://mag.uchicago.edu/science-medicine/performance-anxiety

Thanks for the link. Here are a couple of bits I found useful:

* focus on the outcome, not the mechanics. Jackson had soccer players of equal skill levels set objectives before dribbling a ball through cones. The players who chose technique-oriented goals (“Keep loose with knees bent”) fared worse than those with a strategic focus (“Keep the ball close to the cones”).

* Writing about worries before taking an exam dilutes their negative impact on students with test anxiety. (The body reacts with a flight or fight response, but there is no physical danger, only the fear of embarrassment.)

* Chronic worriers, for example, are “more prone to buckle" (tools can help overcome a person's nature. Golfer Jack Nicklaus was rumored to think his pinky toe to get his mind off the pressure situations).

#2023762 - 01/30/13 12:37 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Don't be surprised to hear hacking coughs at the end of my song.

I had everything set up perfectly - tuner scheduled for the morning - everyone out of the house - I took the day off - a chance to record my recital selections in peace for the afternoon.

My youngest had a fever and stayed home from school with me. I got interrupted twice during the five takes (nothing is more distracting than a sick kid not necessarily interrupting you during recording, but standing next to the piano while you're recording staring at you and waiting for you to finish so he can make his request).

I did manage to record my preferred recital choice (with coughing at the end) on the fifth take. But that was it.

Then it was back to Dr. Dad. cool

#2023792 - 01/30/13 02:25 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
lol @ Ben...so the piano took priority over your sick kid? laugh Don't worry, I won't judge.. hahaha

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2023885 - 01/30/13 07:41 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I just received the following from sheetmusicplus.com - not sure why I haven't been playing from it for a long time now, but since it is by far my favorite Broadway musical I will make up for lost time...

Les Mis songbook

However, I'm not sure if I want to record one song at a time for the next fourteen Recitals or arrange a medley of all fourteen and record this for some upcoming Recital (although probably not one of the next several)... wink

#2023914 - 01/30/13 08:47 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Offline

I'm done! Now just to wait for the call for submissions - whew!

#2024096 - 01/30/13 02:57 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tonight is the last opportunity I have to make a good recording of the piece I selected. I already have one recording, but I'm not satisfied with it.

I realise that I made a stupid choice. The piece is pretty long - actually about 6 minutes - and some of the hard passages come near the end. I have already made 5 - 6 trials this evening, but I always mess up things as the end approaches, and then I have to start all over again.

Next time I'm going to select a shorter piece. Not more than 2 - 3 minutes long.

#2024148 - 01/30/13 04:32 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Ganddalf]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I fear I will not be able to participate in the recital, after all frown.

Melting ice revealed a structural flaw in the building I'm planning to go live in ... which means another four weeks just got tacked onto the construction time ... which means my piano can't be delivered until, at the very earliest, the third week of February ... after the recital deadline.

I will try to find an empty room with a reasonably in-tune acoustic before the 15th, but I'm not all that optimistic on the likelihood of that.

Oh, well. More time to get it just right for the next recital, I guess. Or maybe I'll do the Satie piece by then.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2024486 - 01/31/13 08:01 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Saranoya]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I did a recording a week ago that turned out pretty well, but it was not perfect. I made a couple of "note perfect" recordings since then, but they have no heart, or the acoustics are not as good, etc. So, my previous attempt will have to do! Striving for perfection just means I get pickier!

Besides, it is Fasnacht (Carnival) here and they keep shooting off cannons and playing off key brass bands - on purpose!

#2024555 - 01/31/13 10:23 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I managed to make a new recording yesterday. Not perfect, but better than the previous one.

I found recording this piece more challenging than playing it for an audience. The reason is probably that the music (from the Vienna classical period) is extremely transparent and that my instrument and recording equipment reveals even the smallest inaccuracy in my playing. On a couple of places I was a bit out of balance without really playing wrong notes. But even these occasions are audible in my recordings.

Anyhow participation in this recital (as well as the work with the upcoming themed recital) has proved to be very useful for me. It helps me focusing on the things I don't do so well, and in the long run I think this helps me improving.

#2024655 - 01/31/13 01:38 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Good news: I had an hour and a half of a quiet house for recording, and I got a take of my piece that I'm happy with.

Bad news: I was simultaneously recording with my Zoom Q3HD so I could post the video on YouTube, and when I walked over to click the unit off, basking in the joy of knowing that you have just done a take you're happy with, I saw "memory card full." mad But at least I'll have up until the 15th to try getting a good video made.

#2024771 - 01/31/13 05:07 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Good news: I had an hour and a half of a quiet house for recording, and I got a take of my piece that I'm happy with.

Bad news: I was simultaneously recording with my Zoom Q3HD so I could post the video on YouTube, and when I walked over to click the unit off, basking in the joy of knowing that you have just done a take you're happy with, I saw "memory card full." mad But at least I'll have up until the 15th to try getting a good video made.

Well, at least you got the recording! That's the main thing.
The rest is gravy smile

And...just a "few" hours to go til we have the call for submissions! Let the fun begin!

#2024789 - 01/31/13 05:27 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Remember, now that I am a retired lady of leisure, I may put the call out the day of the 1st and not late the night before. Or I might not. You never know. smirk

#2024791 - 01/31/13 05:30 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Monica K.]
casinitaly Offline

Remember, now that I am a retired lady of leisure, I may put the call out the day of the 1st and not late the night before. Or I might not. You never know. smirk

smile Right you are...Surprise us!

#2024849 - 01/31/13 07:04 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Whoever comes in as #1 should be flogged! (OK, it was me once but it was a mistake, I swear!)

#2024884 - 01/31/13 08:34 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I nearly recorded this and the next recitals' submissions tonight smile

In the end, I just couldn't quite get both right but I'm happy what's going this time. Let the games begin (Monica, that's a hint ....) wink

Kawai K3

#2025073 - 02/01/13 05:17 AM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
casinitaly Offline

And I'm in at 13 smile

Mr. Super-Hunky, I can't wait to hear your piece - what a wonderful wonderful way to start our recital.

#2025634 - 02/01/13 10:36 PM Re: One month until the 29th ABF Recital! [Re: Sam S]
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
Dang, I was wanting to play in the February recital for the first time. I don't think I can have my piece ready to record within two weeks. frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (AndrewJCW, alfstan, Alex1, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1532 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75521 Members
42 Forums
156166 Topics
2293431 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help! Hoping for advice regarding Yamaha purchase
by Lady
Today at 06:22 PM
Piano Practice Technique - Only Slow?
by JoeHom
Today at 05:53 PM
Wow, early Arrau!
by Ian_G
Today at 05:02 PM
Bored kid at Cosco..
by Norbert
Today at 04:37 PM
Need help and advice please!
by Pover
Today at 04:36 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission