Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2016028 - 01/17/13 10:11 AM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Craig Hair]
Blues beater Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Originally Posted By: Craig Hair
Decreased in value? Today I couldn't give away a bunch of Steinway uprights. We need to make room in our shop, and as we like our neighboring rebuilders we thought they might want them. They are in rough, original condition, but I was offering them to professional rebuilders. I thought at least one of them would want at least one of them. I'm still a little shocked. I knew the upright market was weak, but when free Steinways don't spark any interest it implys collapse.
Before our economic malaise, we all put out many nice rebuilt uprights. As many as you could, as nicely as you cared to. The market was there for quality at a premium. So I guess we could easily have flooded the local market, and our past work has become our worst competitor. But this never seemed to be the case with Steinways. There was always a demand for those, not always ravenous but never absent.
Its like the entire industry is eroding from the bottom up.

If you were in Austin, I would grab one in a heartbeat for DIY tinkering.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2016088 - 01/17/13 11:55 AM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Blues beater]
David Boyce Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
We are all familiar with the "cut-down" mirror uprights which we dread seeing,

The equivalent in the UK was the vogue in the 1950s for "modernising" old overdamper pianos. Corners were rounded, inlaid top panels replaced with plain, fancy "trusses" replaced with plain curved legs. And usually nothing was ever done to renovate the action or anything inside. There pianos are now 60 years older, but have casework which fools people into thinking they are 60 and not 130 years old. One customer a few years ago refused to believe me that hers was one of these, insisting that her parents had bought the piano brand new in 1957 (I was brand new that year myself). When I found a 1918 date stamped on the filthy worn-out old action, she was finally convinced.

Generally I'd rather encounter a 130 year old birdcage piano that had NOT been "modernised" that one that has. But prefer not to encounter them at all! (This after a week in which I wrestled with several).

#2016154 - 01/17/13 01:45 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Brittin]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Suppose a piano dealer and a piano maker put together a program to rid a market of beat up pianos. Get all the techs, movers, and teachers in the market on board.

Trade in an old piano and get $$ incentive towards a new acoustic piano - (not digital)

Or---trade in that digital for a new acoustic.

I do see one problem with that - in my market, sales are 75% digital, 25% acoustic, so stores and customers would probably want to trade in that old upright for........a digital

#2016302 - 01/17/13 07:21 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Craig Hair]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
When I sold my previous shop/warehouse building I discarded 18 uprights. Among them were four self players with all the mechanism still intact. I was shocked to find no demand at all from rebuilders on the players. One of Georgia's best reproducer/player restorers told me that he is still doing rebuilds for owners of the players, but he had not done one to sell in years.

Changing times.
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2016877 - 01/18/13 07:32 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Brittin]
RestorerPhil Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Consider this old clunker:

Wellington upright made in 1911.
Major work by me in 1979.
Has iron wound bass which we merely rejuvenated back then.
Did dampers, keytops & bushings & bed felt
Shaped the hammers, bridles, various other stuff.
High end refinish job.

In the year 2000 did set of hammers and major repinning.

Played by active church pianist over these years.
Now the bass has gone dead again (which really happened at least ten years ago). It has been at standard pitch the entire time. Even the wood upper bridge assembly is still solid and crack free

The family wanted this piano back in 1979. Do you think that, just maybe, it was worth the investment? When I first mentioned the need of new hammers the year was 1993. They finally had them done seven years later. I guess I better mention the need of the new strings right away, huh?! smirk
Rebuilding & Restoration

#2017295 - 01/19/13 02:19 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Brittin]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Originally Posted By: RestorerPhil
One of Georgia's best reproducer/player restorers told me that he is still doing rebuilds for owners of the players, but he had not done one to sell in years.

Since 1991 I had five player pianos sitting here. No call for them at all for over fifteen years.

Then in 2008 I got a call for a photo shoot, so one went out at 100 per day for a month. Shortly thereafter sold one to a hobbyist, and another one went to Vancouver Island.

The only constant is we can never predict the marketplace.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2091115 - 05/29/13 03:07 AM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Brittin]
Gary Fowler Offline

The economy sucks. I try my hardest not to bring any pianos into my shop that I must then have to sell. The best and most profitable use of my energies are on servicing outside pianos.

#2091265 - 05/29/13 10:18 AM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Gary Fowler]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Gary,

If you are a professional, you should read this.

#2092294 - 05/30/13 04:44 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: RestorerPhil]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Changing times indeed....in the 60's-70's, a reproducing Steinway or M&H Grand would go for $30-45K depending on the size. It seems that the folks that were driving that market are fewer due to age etc. The yournger generation is just not that interested in the roll playing reproducers or player pianos. Part of the problem is also the music that is not available. One can only listen to the old music so long before it gets boring. However, in general, the piano is not considered as important as it once was, unfortunetly.

The modern reproducing pianos have a much better chance of making it into homes. A collegue of mine over in England, who owned a Bluthner Grand piano (not a player) from the 1920's, is selling the piano and buying a Yamaha Disklavier Grand. She told me that the Bluthner is not holding it's tuning anymore.

I know of 2 Steinway Reproducing Grands, one an XR and an OR, sitting on their sides in storage, everything original.....they may end up in the dump!~?! ?

#2092459 - 05/30/13 09:09 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Brittin]
Gary Fowler Offline

The fact that the economy has been in the tank for years(and will be for the forseeable future), as well as there is a saturation of pianos, all contribute to the reason why you can't hardly get rid of a decent used piano these days.(much less sell one for a profit!) Gone are the days of the quick flip! As much as it sucks to be on the sales end of pianos, it is a BONANZA for piano technicians. If you work on pianos for a living, focus your efforts on THAT!

#2092464 - 05/30/13 09:17 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Brittin]
Gary Fowler Offline

Technicians need to stop bitching and moaning about how bad it is. If you are competent in your piano repairing abilities, it's a Gold Mine out there!

#2092520 - 05/30/13 11:30 PM Re: Are pianos decreasing in value? (piano burning) [Re: Brittin]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
A few things have happened last few years. Everyone has been jumping on the band-wagon of you-tube basically committing trade suicide by showing the world how " easy" everything is to do and people are A) A lot more cautious with their money and B) they are tired of being " up-sold" everytime the piano tech comes to service their piano.

I hear this a lot from music studios/churches who are just entirely fed up with ever escalating bills from being over-sold constantly , yet their pianos sound the same or even worse after all the fluff.

I'm still trying to get past why an impovershed family with a 300 dollar spinet piano needs a 1600 dollar concert regulation to play twinkle twinkle little star?. However those guys are out there and sooner or later when the music stops they may not have a chair.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq 5 - no sustain
by David Farley
09/20/14 04:32 PM
Real piano makes star happy, Agree? Disagree?
by Sand Tiger
09/20/14 03:09 PM
Tips for Reducing Key Noise
by Dwscamel
09/20/14 02:25 PM
DVD recording
by jtattoo
09/20/14 12:45 PM
upgrade from Kawai CN34 to CA65 - how much to pay
by khopin
09/20/14 12:39 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (alfredo capurso, accordeur, 36 invisible), 1445 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157645 Topics
2315572 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission