Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
128 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Auver, 36251, 40 invisible), 1537 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2014624 - 01/14/13 08:19 PM Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish
freelife Offline

Loc: CA
Piano: 10-year old Schimmel walnut grand with high polish polyester finish. Overall finish is still in near-perfect condition.

Problem: Just 3 week's worth of exposure to sun after being moved next to picture window has caused slight cloudy/hazy look to sun-exposed section of the finish on that side. Red-brown stain color does not appear to have started bleaching out, yet, but the surface of the finish looks cloudy and white-ish.

Customer was planning to purchase window coverings and thought she had at least a few months of sun exposure (at only 3 hours a day) before any haze or color deterioration started to appear. She has now rushed to cover windows/piano to prevent any further effect, but is asking if there is way, short of stripping that section down to bare would and rebuilding-up finish ($$$) , to restore original clarity of the polyester.

Your suggestions please...thanks blush

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2014655 - 01/14/13 09:57 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I don't know of anything that could repair UV faded stain. If the cloudiness is at the surface of the clear coat maybe sanding and buffing the polyester top coat would improve it.

I look forward to other peoples suggestions who have more finishing expertise than me.

#2014666 - 01/14/13 10:25 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
www.ProfessionalRefinisher.com It's an Elitist organization but you may be able to get into the forums as a guest.

If you want to know about finishes or wood / repair in general that is the place to go. There are a few of us piano restoration folks on there too including one out of Los Angeles that specializes in Polyester.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2014782 - 01/15/13 06:36 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
There are products for cellulose based lacquers, they are well known for clouds.
On polyester, dont know, I woukd ask Schimmel first, then the poly provider. Could be BASF, or Koenig, certainly others...(Germany)

Edited by Kamin (01/15/13 09:47 AM)

#2014850 - 01/15/13 09:38 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Originally Posted By: freelife
. She has now rushed to cover windows/piano to prevent any further effect, but is asking if there is way, short of stripping that section down to bare would and rebuilding-up finish ($$$) , to restore original clarity of the polyester.

With clear coats there is no way to tell how deep the damage goes.

UV damages furniture finishes along with colour barriers even in cloudy periods or when not in direct sunlight.

Hard sanding and re-coat, then polish out. Have your wallet ready.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2014864 - 01/15/13 10:33 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The ozone hole was not so large when those products where made, while they inclued some anti UV treatment it can be not enough.

the anti UV only in the clear coat for what I understand. Under coat can be PU, not polyester, while I dont know how much incidence it may have.

With time, not only the polish but the wood color fade, and then rosewood looks like walnut.

#2014878 - 01/15/13 11:16 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Don't limit yourself to just piano technicians/restorers. Seek out high quality furniture finishers. After all, the question is not about a piano, per se, it is about cabinetry and the care/restoration of a given type of finish.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2014960 - 01/15/13 02:24 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
freelife Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks, I emailed Dave at www.ProfessionalRefinisher.com, we'll see if he responds to a non-member like me blush

Is the "(member) out of Los Angeles that specializes in Polyester" Greg Wood at Polytek? If so, he is already a colleague of mine, through Keyboard Concepts, and I've already put out a word to him. He may actually be the best guy for me to discuss this with, hope he responds soon.

#2015176 - 01/15/13 10:40 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've had this happen on one of my customers' piano. It seemed to be just on the surface so I put the buffer to it and it came right out. This was on a Kawai product. No telling with Schimmel.

#2015339 - 01/16/13 08:16 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Good to know, thank you for the witnessing.

buffering produce heat, may be it cure the cloud by allowing the product to reactivate (or do you believe this was really a so thin layer it could be taken out by polishing ?

#2015626 - 01/16/13 04:42 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Bill McKaig,RPT Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
It was definitely just a thin layer.

Polyester does not "reactivate" like lacquer does. It can take quite a bit of buffing heat. However, not all pianos are finished with polyester and not all parts of the same piano are necessarily polyester.

On the Schimmel, I would pick an out of the way spot and try a little hand polishing with some fine compound.

#2015670 - 01/16/13 05:45 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Only certain lacquers can be restarted.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2015676 - 01/16/13 05:54 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I was told to warm a little the poly so the polishing is easier, and it is less hard in that case (some poly anyway)

but I may admit I never allow the warmness to raise much

#2015698 - 01/16/13 06:29 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
S. Phillips Offline

Loc: Forte Farm, Lexington, KY
About ten years ago the German manufacturers all had a problem with cloudy finishes from the same finish supplier. This may have just not been noticed until it got put into the sun. If this is the issue, buffing is not helpful. The manufacturer that I worked for replaced the pianos that had this problem.
2 Steinway Os, Steinway B & C, C. Bechstein A
Phillips Piano Tech
Contributor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
New Federal and State Ivory Regulations and Pianos
http://www.pianobuyer.com/articles/ivory.html

#2016066 - 01/17/13 11:12 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT
I don't know of anything that could repair UV faded stain. If the cloudiness is at the surface of the clear coat maybe sanding and buffing the polyester top coat would improve it.

I look forward to other peoples suggestions who have more finishing expertise than me.

Is this really a UV problem?? I would guess not, since glass blocks 99% of UV.

#2016525 - 01/18/13 05:06 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: wouter79]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPT

Is this really a UV problem?? I would guess not, since glass blocks 99% of UV.

It seem to be little more complicated than that, with different kind of UV :

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00539.htm

#2016527 - 01/18/13 05:14 AM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: S. Phillips]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: S. Phillips
About ten years ago the German manufacturers all had a problem with cloudy finishes from the same finish supplier. This may have just not been noticed until it got put into the sun. If this is the issue, buffing is not helpful. The manufacturer that I worked for replaced the pianos that had this problem.

Could you be more precise please (supplier for instance) PM me if you wish.

This is a problem with Internet information, cannot be checked easily because it is often vague.
I just had the same with a water heater that stopped functionning, and someone on a forum wrote that the problem on that model (an electrical relay that broken without reason) was well known by the brand ;
I thought I was on something and that I could have the guarantee involved, but I discovered that the information was in the end nothing because not precise enough (it always can be done by PM if one does not want to post publicly about a brand)

That said, thank you for posting, and the cloud problem you talk of can be indeed real at some point in time of course.
(I did not heard about but this is comprehensive)

#2017543 - 01/19/13 09:38 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
S. Phillips Offline

Loc: Forte Farm, Lexington, KY
I think it was BASF. The cloudy spots were not really evident unless it was in sunlight or very bright light. It looks like a bloom in a lacquer finish and could not be polished out.
2 Steinway Os, Steinway B & C, C. Bechstein A
Phillips Piano Tech
Contributor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
New Federal and State Ivory Regulations and Pianos
http://www.pianobuyer.com/articles/ivory.html

#2017818 - 01/20/13 12:47 PM Re: Eliminating sun-caused cloudiness in polyester finish [Re: freelife]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Thank you ... then it was not due to the sun but to the bright lightening

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help picking a Beethoven Piano Sonata Slow movement
by oaklandraiders76
12/20/14 04:50 PM
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
12/20/14 04:37 PM
Do you recommend a back cover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
12/20/14 03:56 PM
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
12/20/14 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
12/20/14 01:37 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160021 Topics
2349944 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission