2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Deltron Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi Everyone!

I have been playing the piano for a little while mainly on an old Casio CTK-150 from around '93 i believe. Currently I am in the market for a new DP as the Casio really doesn't meet my needs anymore.

After looking around for a while and going to my local store and playing around i am having a hard time make a decision. My budget is around 2000-2300 USD after a lot of saving up, but i might be able to bump up a bit.

Tried playing som different Rolands like the FP7-F, FP4-F and F-120. But after i sat down at the Nord Piano 2 i immediately fell in love.

Would it be completely over the top to get the NP2?
At first i wasn't considering it but then i thought i would rather put some money into it now then get something and then upgrading in a year time.
I really like the replaceable onboard sounds and the action was great.

What would the alternative to the NP2 be?
If i were to get hold of one used, would you recommend buying used?
It is for home use, not for gigging. For now at least.

I would like to get a full 88 considering that i am taking piano lessons but how necessary is the full 88?
Hope you guys can help me with some insight here!

And yes, i have checked out the NS2 but it is way over my budget! Haha

Eirik

Last edited by Deltron; 01/15/13 03:01 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Most folks say the weak point is the action. OK for gigging where subtle nuances and dynamics expression is not so important. So it might depend on the type of music you will play on it at home.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Used, the best alternative to the Nord Piano 2 is the original Nord Piano, if all you need are the piano sounds. (It doesn't have the non-piano sounds that the 2 has, and along with that, it has no ability to split and layer sounds, since there are, effectively, no additional sounds to split and layer with the piano anyway.)

Nord also makes the Electro 4HP, but for piano, besides the shorter keyboard, its sound and action lag a bit behind the Nord Piano.

A Yamaha CP5 could be worth trying as well, I think that would round out your evaluation of pianos with lighter actions.

Another used option could be the Nord Stage EX, but strictly as a piano, it still slightly lags behind the Nord Piano.

D
Deltron Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks so much for your input guys. I'm still looking around, but want to close in on something soon.
Been finding som good deals on the Nord Stage EX.
What is the big difference from the NP2 here? Can't seem to find that much info on it.

Eirik

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Deltron
Been finding som good deals on the Nord Stage EX.
What is the big difference from the NP2 here?

In terms of piano, the NP2 has the Long Release feature, the Stage EX does not. The NP2 also has more piano memory, for holding more Piano Library sounds at once (though, as of now, there's no single Nord piano sound that can't fit into either one).

Other than piano, the NP2 has access to all the sounds in the Nord Sample Library, the Stage EX does not. However, the Stage EX has drawbar organ and virtual analog synth sections that are not in the NP2. The Stage EX also has more MIDI controller functionality (i.e. pitch bend, mod wheel, aftertouch, and presets that can include Program Change and other related commands for integrating the sounds of an external device, like another keyboard, sound module, computer, or iPad).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have made feelings known more than once about Nord, which I bottom line as expensive, action so-so, etc. What I think is important is that I'm sure you'll enjoy having the Nord but don't think of it as investment. You'll loose a good chunk of money if you decide to sell in in a year.

IMO, the more expensive a DP is, the more you loose on depreciation. If you're just looking for a home instrument, you might want to consider built-in speakers. Using the built-in with some external monitors will give you a more realistic experience by having the speakers vibrate through the keys and a close up stereo image.

Of course, in the end do what your want, this blog is just a place for people like myself to spew my own opinions smile

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
D
Deltron Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have been looking at some alternatives, but i cant seem to find any good ones with such a big sound library. and for my budget of around 2000 usd even the NP2 is a bit out of my price range. I dont want to rush into something new, but i dont want to hold out many more weeks without making a decision either, haha.
Hope to see if NAMM brings something new for me maybe?

Eirik

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Deltron
I have been looking at some alternatives, but i cant seem to find any good ones with such a big sound library. and for my budget of around 2000 usd even the NP2 is a bit out of my price range.

If you don't carry about the sample library sounds, a used Nord Piano will give you all the piano functionality of a Nord Piano 2.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That's true, along with split functionality (i.e. bass + piano).

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
Deltron Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I would really like a rich sound database, this is one of the things that seems really appealing in the NP2.

Just this morning i found a great deal on a barely used Roland RD700nx for around 2600 usd which looked really good, although i have not yet had the chance to play it. And i bet it might be possible to get the price a bit extra down. What are your thoughts on the roland?

For that price it looks like a really good alternative.

Would there be any DPs in the 2000 usd price range to match the NP2 action and sound possibilities?
I have looked around for used NP88 but i cant seem to find that many here in Norway.

D
Deltron Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am able to get a barely used RD-700NX for the same price as a new FP-7F (around 2550 usd in norway), Would this be a good deal for me?

The DP will only be for homeuse and to play along guitar and drums which is why i thought i should have some onboard speakers but i heard the FP7F speakers were a bit bad. Do you guys think ill miss the onboards on the RD-700NX?

I am really close to pulling the trigger on this DP.

Last edited by Deltron; 02/05/13 06:33 AM.
D
Deltron Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Any takers?

Sorry for the tripplepost guys, gettin really excited but want to be sure before i go spending 2500 bucks, haha

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
The RD700NX is the best digital piano on the market.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
The RD700NX is the best digital piano on the market.

Except for the SN sound and tone! crazy

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission