2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi there, I'm new to this by I have a very important question.

I have been playing the piano for ten years, but only on a digital. I now think it's the time to buy a real piano, but I am having trouble finding the right one seeing that I don't want to look at pianos listed over 14 k. I have found one piano that is a Kohler and Campbell listed for 9999.99. It's model is: KCG 650. I am not sold on this piano, however. I would much rather have a Yamaha or Kawai. I have heard that the smaller more inexpensive yamahas are not very good quality, and do not play very well. I was looking for some information on the kawai ge-30 and the other kawai pianos in my price range.

There are two piano studios in my area, one that deals Yamaha and one that deals kawai. I have read that the ge-30 goes from 11-12 k, but the local studio is selling it over 16 k. The Yamaha dealer seems to have better prices.

Could anyone give me information on Yamahas in my price range, or even a bit over, kawais in my price range, and the Kohler and Campbell? Thank you so much!

B
B
Go to both the Yamaha and Kawai studios and try their pianos to give yourself an idea of what you like. Depending on your playing style and taste you may find you prefer one over the other, and then you can narrow it down. In the past, if you liked Kawais you could narrow it down a lot faster because they were distinctly different in that they used to be darker and had heavier actions. Not sure about nowadays.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi, Colegirl99, and welcome to Piano World!

I think it is wonderful that you now want a nice, baby grand piano to play and enjoy! And, it sounds like you are well on your way to finding the right one for you…

I might add, however, that you are the one who is going to have to do the leg work and find the prospects you are looking for. Others here will have some good advice and suggestions, but what you are looking for will only come as you audition and “touch” the pianos themselves.

I’d suggest contacting any and all local piano dealers about pre-owned models and looking at private sales advertized on various sites, etc… I think you are wise to stick with the better known brands.

Other members (including dealer members) can make suggestions where you might find good prospects, but direct advertising of pianos is not allowed on the open forums. There is a “Pianos for sale” site here on Piano World here… http://www.pianoworld.com/exchange.htm

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Of your choices mentioned, I'd stay away from the Kohler and Campbell...

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all, I have contacted one of the dealers so far, ( the yamaha one) and as far as I know they have a Yamaha GB1, and they can order a piano. Does anyone know anything about the Yamaha GB1? I read that it is better to buy a used grand piano instead. unfortunately, the dealer is about 45 minutes away from my house so I can not make it there to try it out myself for a few days.

C
OP Offline
C
Alright, so I found a white G2 Yamaha. I have wanted a white piano all along. I found it on craigslist.

Alright, so I found a white G2 Yamaha. I have wanted a white piano all along. I found it on craigslist.

Sounds great!

Check it out and see what you think... I'd suggest having it inspected by a piano tech before any money changes hands.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
OP Offline
C
Will definitely do that.

Thanks

R
R
I would suggest looking at every brand of piano that fits your budget at your local dealers, and given the indicated budget there should be quite a few choices. Do not rule out the chinese pianos without trying them first. I was looking for small grands in the same price range a few months back. I started with the idea of getting a used Kawai RX-2, but eventually got something quite different.

M
M
I would go check out the new Yamaha GB1 and others that you may consider on craigslist as well before deciding to buy. Then if you do buy used, be sure to hire a piano tech to go check it out first and give you information on its condition and what work might be needed - BEFORE you buy it.

Having said that, I think you can get some really good deals when you buy used from private parties. You just may be dealing with a lack of maintenance on their end, which adds to your overall cost to get it where you want it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
If you want a white piano you are in luck. They are generally in less demand so you can bargain pretty hard if you can find a good one.

C
OP Offline
C
Unfortunately, the piano is too large for my house... I am going to look at the Yamaha dealer as soon as possible.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi,

I hope you are having fun shopping for your piano. Don't get in too much of a hurry. Have you laid out a floor plan to try out what size piano you might use? One just a few inches longer doesn't really seem to take up that much more room. I went from a 5'5" to 5'10" and can't really tell the difference in space. Unless you are really tight you might want to try out at least the GE 30 at 5'5". For $14000 you should be able to find a lightly used recent model piano too if you want to go that route.

Good luck,

David

Please, whatever you do, do not buy a Koehler and Campbell. Koehler and Campbell is a vastly inferior piano to any model yamaha or kawai new or used. Trust me, I've owned a Koehler and Campbell years ago when they were still American owned (now they are cheap Chinese pianos posing as American by virtue of their old world brand- there are many of these, be careful) and supposedly still good. They we never good. They were never even fair, just bad. You should be able to find a nice 10-20 year old 5' yamaha or kawai for well less than $10k and it will serve you well.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks guys!

I should have mentioned this earlier, I live in a very low traffic area. By this I mean there are literally no good quality used pianos less than 4 hrs away. I did check out the only ge 30 in the area and it it selling for 22 grand.

I measured the room, I may be able to fit a 5 5 but preferably a 5 3. I am going to continue looking on Craigslist and even several hours away.

Does anyone know any other quality piano makes that I could look for?

Oh yes, I have ruled out the kohler and Campbell.
Thanks

Last edited by Colegirl99; 01/17/13 01:06 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
Please, whatever you do, do not buy a Koehler and Campbell. Koehler and Campbell is a vastly inferior piano to any model yamaha or kawai new or used. Trust me, I've owned a Koehler and Campbell years ago when they were still American owned (now they are cheap Chinese pianos...

They're not Chinese, they are made in Indonesia (if that matters), at least according to the label on mine.

My new K&C 5'2" grand just got its second tuning, this time from my regular tech. She spent 4 hours here. Tuned it, worked on the damper pedal and did some voicing. The hammers seemed to respond well.

It sounds pretty good now. Those Samick pianos have their own tone, somewhere between the Yamaha sound and the Kawai sound. Somewhere between bright and warm, more fundamental maybe. Not a wide dynamic range, at least under my hands.

It's not a great piano, no, but I enjoy playing it. Is a Yamaha $20,000 better? That's up to the individual. I wouldn't label it VASTLY inferior, though.

I wouldn't rule them out without playing one and giving it a chance. Mine is a compromise between what I really wanted and what I could afford.

Good luck with your purchase. Play lots of pianos, you'll find one you really like at some point.

Gary

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission