Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, A-Tom, Al LaPorte, ajames, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1737 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2015265 - 01/16/13 03:23 AM Adult returning to piano (need advice)
Gatsbee13 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So Cal
Hello everyone.. I just wanted to get advice.. I am an intermediate level player looking to advance my piano skills. A little about myself: I took piano for 3 years at 9 years old and quit after 3 years. I have been on and off with the piano ever since. I am now 30 and don't think practicing by myself would help develop better technique, listening skills, etc. I wanted to get your opinion on whether I should take an intermediate level II course at my local community college for ~$50 (entire semester)or find a good teacher from say.. the Music Teachers Association of California website? which would probably cost $50 for the hour. Im not a child anymore, so I wont learn as rapidly as they do, but am serious about getting better. I know there are a lot of things to consider such as price, how much im getting out of group learning vs individual, etc. just wanted some input.

-david

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2015275 - 01/16/13 03:53 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: Gatsbee13
Im not a child anymore, so I wont learn as rapidly as they do, but am serious about getting better.

Had to speak to this one first: One time I started four new students at the same time. All were complete beginners. Two were fairly young children. Two were adults over 70.

Guess who learned the fastest? The older adults absolutely smoked the kids.

Yes, there are differences in how adults process information or whatever. I don't have scientific data to really know what all the differences are. But I regularly teach adult students and they can learn well.

The bigger concern for an adult student is their schedule and ability to stick with it for long enough to make progress in keeping with their goals.

#2015278 - 01/16/13 03:58 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Class piano or private instruction?

I think either is a reasonable decision. So how would I decide between the two?

I'd probably evaluate the amount of time I have for practice. I would want to have signficant practice time when working with a private teacher.

MTAC is an excellent organization. The teacher at the Community College may also be a member, btw.

#2015328 - 01/16/13 08:03 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I'd skip the class and look for a private teacher. Much the better way to go if you have specific goals.

#2015337 - 01/16/13 08:14 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Your money is better spent on individual lessons with a good private teacher. Not to knock those that do group lessons, but you will not be able to progress at your level when in a group, and so it's quite possible you won't learn as much in the semester's time than you would in private lessons.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2015341 - 01/16/13 08:19 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
When I took group piano, I had quite a lot of fun.
Now that I am taking private lessons, I am learning to play piano.

#2015359 - 01/16/13 09:19 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Private teacher. Stress that you want to get whatever skills and knowledge needed to play the piano, and are willing to do what you are asked to get there. Don't worry about how much time you can spend - instead make sure that you do spend time daily, consistently, and that you use that time well. When you do have that teacher, don't be shy about asking how to practice efficiently. If the teacher cannot tell you that, then I would hesitate about that teacher.

#2015427 - 01/16/13 11:30 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I agree with musicpassion that adults can learn just as well if not better than kids. If you want to do it, work at it consistently, and have a good teacher, it doesn't matter how old you are. I also agree with what keystring says... you have to know how to practice well. And while practice might be addressed in a group class, you'll really need specific guidance based on your individual strengths and weaknesses. A good private teacher will know how to help you with your specific problems... like a good therapist. smile A class on how to be a better person might be helpful, but it won't get to the root like individual therapy.

When I work with adults, which I do quite a lot of, I spend a lot of time with the pyschology of learning piano. Where and how to focus, feelings of certainty and uncertainty, self-evaluation, problem-solving, organization of practice, motivation, feelings of doubt, feelings of joy, etc. I ask a lot of questions. I find that adults get in the way of themselves a lot. They often believe they should do certain things and are very good at convincing themselves, unfortunately too frequently, into believing things that aren't helpful. So I would suggest finding a teacher who understands this. Someone who is relatable, really listens to you and asks you questions. Not someone who just tells you what to do, even if what they are telling you seems to make sense. Problems are best avoided with good communication. Of course, make sure the teacher is also musically skilled. laugh You won't necessarily find the right teacher for you through the music teachers association, but it certainly wouldn't be a bad place to start.

#2015482 - 01/16/13 01:20 PM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
IMO a good teacher is better than group lessons, which are better than a mediocre teacher.

I suggest signing up for group lessons and continuing the search for a teacher that meets your needs. For adults, these aren't so easy to find.

#2015777 - 01/16/13 08:42 PM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Hello everyone.. I just wanted to get advice.. I am an intermediate level player looking to advance my piano
skills. A little about myself: I took piano for 3 years at 9 years old and quit after 3 years. I have been on and off with the piano ever since.

The interesting part is: Why have you been on an off with the piano ever since? Is it money, time, lack of interest?

I like to break it down this way. It is all about time, all about sitting on the piano bench 2 or 3 hours a day - after a full day. The average person works 8 hours a day, 9 - 5, commutes, meals, shops - by 7:00 you can sit down on the piano bench for 3 hours. At 10:00 you relax and get ready for bed and you do that 7 days a week for the rest of your life. Sound Good?

I am now 30 and don't think practicing by myself would help develop better technique, listening skills, etc.

Being 30 could mean you have a wife, 3 kids, 2 jobs - it could mean a lot of things. Again, what time do you have everyday that is free and how much of that free time do you want to be looking at a music book at a piano?

Age is never a factor if you are in average good health, motivated, committed, you can accomplish almost anything.

I wanted to get your opinion on whether I should take an intermediate level II course at my local community

college for ~$50 (entire semester)or find a good teacher from say.. the Music Teachers Association of

California website? which would probably cost $50 for the hour.

If you are highly motivated, popping into a class once a week at a college, would be awesome and all that some people need to keep them on track and answer/solve problems.

Im not a child anymore, so I wont learn as rapidly as they do, but am serious about getting better. I know there are a lot of things to consider such as price, how much im getting out of group learning vs individual

Whether you are at a college class once a week or spending a hour with a private teacher is the same hour. But it is not the hour at college or the hour with the teacher that matters, it is what you do the 1 or 2 hours a night, every night, sitting on the piano bench that matters.

If you had posted, that you get up at 5:00 a.m. and practiced until you go to work and while you are preparing dinner you practice scales between making dishes and after an early evening nap you get up at 11:00 pm. and practice chopin until 2:00 a.m. I would understand.

Edited by Michael_99 (01/16/13 08:44 PM)

#2015896 - 01/17/13 02:46 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Speaking from experience (I learned to play in a similar class), if you've been playing as long as you have, the class will bore you and be quite below your level, though the structure may be of some (still probably not very much) aid.

Assuming you can meet the monthly expense first and foremost, as well as the required daily practice time, an experienced private teacher such as one accepted into the MTAC (http://www.mtac.org/info/findteacher.php) would be the way to go. While I'm not quite your age, though am closer than to being a child, I've spent time learning on my own, in an aforementioned classroom setting, and with a private teacher, and I'd rate the general success and rate of progress of each in the respective order just listed.

#2015954 - 01/17/13 06:38 AM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
A group situation may not be what you are looking for, Gatsbee, but it can be very helpful. It can allow you to get your feet wet. And having camarades to talk with and develop with, is not the worst of things. It may also help you in your search for a suitable private teacher. Nothing to scoff at, in my opinion.

#2024672 - 01/31/13 02:26 PM Re: Adult returning to piano (need advice) [Re: Gatsbee13]
Jonathan Baker Offline

Loc: New York City!
Originally Posted By: Gatsbee13
Im not a child anymore, so I wont learn as rapidly as they do, but am serious about getting better.

The above responses to you are correct: adults usually learn faster than children.

The advantage adults have over children is self-determination: you have self-motivation and self-control, unlike most children who have almost no control over their thoughts and will wander off.

The advantage children have over adults: they have no yet learned how to blame themselves the way adults do. Adults emotionally punish themselves relentlessly and it does then no good at all.

Regarding the selection of a piano teacher: I always set up a try-out lesson for both the student's sake and mine. Request such a lesson from a couple of teachers in your area and see how you interact.

I have never taken or taught group lessons (except, occasionally, for two children at a time, such as twins) so I have no idea about their constructive value. I have no interest in giving such lessons because one person is a handful already, and I want to be able to address all the issues that arise, moment to moment.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12/18/14 01:26 PM
Baldwin Howard Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 01:24 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159958 Topics
2349116 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission