2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
My daughter is 9 years old and going to take her level 5 RCM this month (practical only). Our family is moving to Colorado soon. I am wondering which program is better for her to follow after our move, continue on RCM, or Suzuki or others? It will be appreciated if you could give me some suggestion.:)

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If you're happy with RCM then I would suggest sticking with RCM. It seems that for some reason they renamed it "The Achievement Program with Carnegie Hall" on this side of the border, but I think it's the same program.

Suzuki is a whole different thing. I wouldn't advise that switch if you're happy with what you're already doing.

Of course your new teacher's opinion might be the most important one. I understand, however, that program affiliation might influence your choice of teachers.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks musicpassion. We are okay with RCM, but we don't have much knowledge of other programs. It seems there are more choices in US than in Canada, but we have to pick one. smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Carnegie Hall just pulled out of The Achievement Program, fyi.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As far as I can tell, they just took their name off. It doesn't look like there will be any changes to the program, just a slight name change.

Originally Posted by Minniemay

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

Oh. That's interesting to know. Thanks for the update.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by izut
Thanks musicpassion. We are okay with RCM, but we don't have much knowledge of other programs. It seems there are more choices in US than in Canada, but we have to pick one. smile

Yes there are a lot of choices. In California (where I am) Certificate of Merit is the big, highly regarded program (so that's the one I know the best). But that's CA only.

You don't have to pick a program. With a good teacher you don't absolutely need a program. Maybe it would be reasonable to just find the best teacher you can and do what they prefer.

Last edited by musicpassion; 01/16/13 05:07 AM. Reason: clarity

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you can tell us which city in Colorado you are moving to, someone on this board may have some good connections.

M.M., Piano
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
The Achievement Program website still looks the same with "Carnegie Hall" in the title.

http://www.theachievementprogram.org/program/piano-program-details

Simplifying the title sounds like a good idea. "Carnegie Hall Royal Conservatory The Achievement Program" is quite a mouthful.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
http://www.theachievementprogram.org/

This page shows that as of yesterday (Jan 15, 3013) the The Achievement Program will be known as "The Royal Conservatory Music Achievement Program". So maybe an update on the website will be forthcoming...eventually deleting "Carnegie Hall" from the title.

I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
We are moving to Golden, Colorado. It falls in Metro Denver area,I think...
If you can tell us which city in Colorado you are moving to, someone on this board may have some good connections.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

This page shows that as of yesterday (Jan 15, 3013) the The Achievement Program will be known as "The Royal Conservatory Music Achievement Program". So maybe an update on the website will be forthcoming...eventually deleting "Carnegie Hall" from the title.

Actually, "The Royal Conservatory Music Development Program." There is a link now to a press release describing what's going on a little bit more: Carnegie Hall is stepping out of being involved in this program to focus on other "national and international music programs", and RCM will solely handle registrations and records for TAP... I mean, TRCMDP.

An interesting nugget in the press release is that there are 4000 teachers registered with this program (what shall we call it for short? just RCM now?) in the US, and 6000 assessments were taken last year. I wonder what the distributions of assessed students/per teacher is. I would have expected a higher ratio. I wonder if teachers tend to expect to send most of their students to these exams, or if they're only sending certain (highly motivated? high achieving?) students, or if a lot of teachers are registered but haven't yet sent students or worked this program into their studio.

By comparison, in Canada there are 100,000 assessments per year.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
It seems like all piano learning kids we know here are taking the RCM exams...

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

Actually, "The Royal Conservatory Music Development Program." There is a link now to a press release describing what's going on a little bit more: Carnegie Hall is stepping out of being involved in this program to focus on other "national and international music programs", and RCM will solely handle registrations and records for TAP... I mean, TRCMDP.

An interesting nugget in the press release is that there are 4000 teachers registered with this program (what shall we call it for short? just RCM now?) in the US, and 6000 assessments were taken last year. I wonder what the distributions of assessed students/per teacher is. I would have expected a higher ratio. I wonder if teachers tend to expect to send most of their students to these exams, or if they're only sending certain (highly motivated? high achieving?) students, or if a lot of teachers are registered but haven't yet sent students or worked this program into their studio.

By comparison, in Canada there are 100,000 assessments per year.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P

izut, where is "here"? U.S. or Canada?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Sorry, "here" is Canada. I am still living in Canada right now.

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

izut, where is "here"? U.S. or Canada?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

M.M., Piano
I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks Minnimay. How I know which teacher has experience of RCM or other programs?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You call them and find out.

M.M., Piano

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission