Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 15 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#1884100 - 04/22/12 05:53 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: wr]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr

I really like the "other" Mephistos a great deal, but they are late works that sound like they were written by someone else than the person who wrote the first one. And that late Liszt stuff is pretty rough going for many people - I can well imagine the shocked bewilderment of someone encountering those late Mephisto waltzes for the first time, if all they knew was the first one and some of the more popular Liszt pieces. It's a whole different world.

Do you think? I can feel something consistent about Liszt in all of his works, I feel like the other Mephistos do share a similar flavor.

Got started on Mazeppa (waving arms around is super fun), going to order B minor Sonata sheet music! I see a Hal Leonard one that has the publisher marked as Editio Musica Budapest, does anyone know if this means it's just a reprint of Budapest or what?

Edited by trigalg693 (04/22/12 05:54 AM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1884105 - 04/22/12 06:25 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: trigalg693]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: trigalg693
Originally Posted By: wr

I really like the "other" Mephistos a great deal, but they are late works that sound like they were written by someone else than the person who wrote the first one. And that late Liszt stuff is pretty rough going for many people - I can well imagine the shocked bewilderment of someone encountering those late Mephisto waltzes for the first time, if all they knew was the first one and some of the more popular Liszt pieces. It's a whole different world.

Do you think? I can feel something consistent about Liszt in all of his works, I feel like the other Mephistos do share a similar flavor.

I exaggerated a bit - like you say, I can get something sort of "Lisztian" in all of his works. But I wonder how much of that is just because I know he wrote them, which enables me to find a commonality?

#1894081 - 05/09/12 10:56 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

A recent discovery for me has been one of Liszt's choral masterpieces, the Missa solennis zur Einweihung der Basilika in Gran (Gran Mass). Here are my two favourite movements, the Kyrie and Credo (the Credo being one of the greatest choral movements i've ever heard).

Another one is his Hungarian Coronation Mass. It is a very simple work - very little counterpoint, almost no harmonic experimentation, simple and clear choral/orchestral writing...But all that is also where its charm lies for me. Simple, light-hearted glory. Unfortunately there are no good performances on youtube.

I also got a recording of another of his better choral works - the Psalm XIII, but it didn't really reach me on first listens.

Edited by pianojosh23 (05/09/12 11:15 AM)

#1894229 - 05/09/12 02:59 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
My favorite Ave Maria of all.

Video and sound could both be better on this, but I can't think of anyone who does this better than Kocsis.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/J1gV2qtb71w[/video]

#1894980 - 05/10/12 07:08 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I have to say I mostly disliked Liszt....until I listened to his Sonata in Bm. It's just fantastic. Then I fell in love with Mephisto's Waltz. And then I heard his Am Bach Organ fugue transcription. And then I just went off the deep end. :].
One of my friends is playing the Bm sonata at his senior recital next year, I can't wait! He's presenting three sonata's, the Waldenstein, the Liszt Bm, and one more 20th century sonata by a composer I hadn't heard of till he mentioned him, I forget right now.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1895547 - 05/11/12 11:37 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: TrueMusic]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Speaking of the B minor, I stumbled across an oddity - a two piano version by Saint Saens in my collection. Of course I had to search Youtube with little hope of finding a recording, but lo and behold:

#1895563 - 05/12/12 12:35 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
nocturne152 Offline

What an insanely successful thread!

As for my appreciation -- this is my favorite piece by Liszt performed by my favorite young pianist.

"Maiden's Wish"

Why is this piece "Chopin-Liszt"? What did Chopin do to get some credit?

- Oscar Peterson

#1895695 - 05/12/12 10:17 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: nocturne152]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lostaccato

It's a song by Chopin that Liszt transcribed to the piano.

#1895749 - 05/12/12 01:06 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Damon]
nocturne152 Offline

Originally Posted By: Damon

Ahh I see. It is a rather charming little song if you ask me, though I prefer the transcription. grin

- Oscar Peterson

#1896080 - 05/13/12 09:09 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: nocturne152]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ahh I see. It is a rather charming little song if you ask me, though I prefer the transcription. grin

Chopin's songs, while nice, are not among his best works. Liszt's transcriptions greatly improved them and turned them into lovely, nocturne-esque piano pieces - that work very well as a cycle!

Edited by pianojosh23 (05/13/12 11:51 AM)

#1896177 - 05/13/12 01:09 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
nocturne152 Offline

Nocturne-esque?? Not "Maiden's Wish"... which pieces are you talking about?

- Oscar Peterson

#1896204 - 05/13/12 01:48 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: nocturne152]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nocturne-esque?? Not "Maiden's Wish"... which pieces are you talking about?

Oh sorry, my mistake. Yes, not Maiden's Wish, although that is part of the cycle. Yeah, they are six pieces in different styles. The one I know best is 'My Joys,' which is Nocturne-esque.

#1896232 - 05/13/12 02:41 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: pianojosh23

Chopin's songs, while nice, are not among his best works.

As Charles Rosen memorably observed: Chopin clearly didn't waste any time on them.

One of many instances wherein Liszt made improvements, cf 'Danse Macabre' and the 2nd Paganini etude.

#1896239 - 05/13/12 02:56 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Chopin's songs, while nice, are not among his best works. Liszt's transcriptions greatly improved them

I think all of Liszt's song transcriptions are an improvement over the source, including his own. That is of course, just my opinion. whistle

#1896308 - 05/13/12 05:40 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Damon]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I think all of Liszt's song transcriptions are an improvement over the source, including his own. That is of course, just my opinion.

Wow. How many of Liszt's songs do you know, and have you ever accompanied them with a singer?

I have, and almost all of those I played were beautifully written for both piano and singer.

#1896384 - 05/13/12 08:59 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
nocturne152 Offline

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

As Charles Rosen memorably observed: Chopin clearly didn't waste any time on them.

I agree. Anyone who doubts Chopin's abilities as a song writer are either ignorant or stupid. He was a musical super-genius who happened to also love the opera. I'm SURE if he wanted to put out some great songs he could have -- I don't think he cared though.

- Oscar Peterson

#1896416 - 05/13/12 09:50 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Wow. How many of Liszt's songs do you know, and have you ever accompanied them with a singer?

I know a few but it doesn't matter, I wouldn't be able to tolerate playing them with a classically trained singer, which is why the transcriptions are an improvement. (to me)

#1896430 - 05/13/12 10:21 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: nocturne152]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I agree. Anyone who doubts Chopin's abilities as a song writer are either ignorant or stupid. He was a musical super-genius who happened to also love the opera. I'm SURE if he wanted to put out some great songs he could have -- I don't think he cared though.

No doubt. There's no reason why he couldn't have been a great song writer.

#1896532 - 05/14/12 03:57 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

But he wasn't. Nor was he much of an orchestrator.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1896707 - 05/14/12 12:21 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: stores]
nocturne152 Offline

Originally Posted By: stores

But he wasn't. Nor was he much of an orchestrator.

*facepalm*

- Oscar Peterson

#1896834 - 05/14/12 05:23 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

With Chopin's talent he could have done anything.

A fuss is often made about Chopin's weak orchestrations in the piano concertos, but how else would the piano part be properly heard? Tausig and company attempted re-orchestrations, but then they found they had to re-write some of the piano writing so that it could project over a busier orchestration.

No solution there.

#1896843 - 05/14/12 05:34 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Hey now, the "gush over everything Chopin wrote thread" is in the ABF. Let's keep it there, please. laugh (I'm hoping this thread title will keep Mark and Beet from adding a couple of pages of Chopin defense)

#1899703 - 05/19/12 11:40 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Damon]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

#1900171 - 05/20/12 10:26 AM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Since this great pianist passed away early this year, I figured it would be appropriate to share these.

#1900380 - 05/20/12 06:21 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: Orange Soda King]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Since this great pianist passed away early this year, I figured it would be appropriate to share these.

Interesting -and quite appropriate to share, thank-you!- but I just cannot love that recording. Weissenberg had a technique which must have been the envy of any pianist, but so often I get the impression of a sadistic brutality. Compared to Argerich's quick, silent, and efficient laser printer, Weissenberg sounds like a noisy ink jet printer, droplets of ink saturating the page.

IMO of course.

#1900385 - 05/20/12 06:25 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Of course, Argerich is my favorite Liszt B Minor, but she's not the only recording I'll love.

Ozan Marsh has a great one, actually.

#1901329 - 05/22/12 02:45 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've discovered a new solo piano piece by Liszt.

Liszt's Oratorio 'Die Legende von der Heiligen Elisabeth' is generally considered to be one of Liszt's weaker large scale works, and i've found it quite dull the first couple times i've listened to it - despite some glorious moments. Of course, i'm going to withold judgement there because it is highly programmatic and i've not listened to it with that in mind, and I certainly haven't come close to digested all 2-3 hours of it.

The orchestral opening is surely one of the highlights of the Oratorio.

Liszt, in his typically masterful manner, transcribed this for the piano. To my ears, the result is a gorgeous solo piano piece that deserves to be performed with regularity.

Edited by pianojosh23 (05/22/12 05:32 PM)

#1901543 - 05/22/12 10:20 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Gorgeous transcription performed by the inimitable Cyprien Katsaris.

#1901556 - 05/22/12 10:40 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: argerichfan]
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

With Chopin's talent he could have done anything.

A fuss is often made about Chopin's weak orchestrations in the piano concertos, but how else would the piano part be properly heard? Tausig and company attempted re-orchestrations, but then they found they had to re-write some of the piano writing so that it could project over a busier orchestration.

No solution there.

I've recently bought Krystian Zimerman's recording of him performing and conducting the Chopin piano concertos. His interpretation of the orchestra part turns it into a new piece for me. I'd reccomend you take a listen
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#1903181 - 05/25/12 09:20 PM Re: Franz Liszt appreciation thread. [Re: pianojosh23]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Browsing youtube, I ran across a midi version of Liszt's Toccata in Am that was accurate and....dreadful. Here is Mark Salman playing the piece. Much, much much better. (I believe this is Gooddogs teacher, is it not?)

Page 6 of 15 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (89grand, 36251, 88 Fingers Jeff, *windowlicker*, 55 invisible), 1287 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157097 Topics
2307146 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission