Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
59 registered (AndyP, barbaram, angga888, Beemer, bennevis, AZ_Astro, 16 invisible), 1235 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2015509 - 01/16/13 02:00 PM Is it worth it?
MsAnna Offline

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have a piano that I am trying to determine if it is worth it to make the necessary repairs or if it's time to call it quits. I don't know much about pianos myself, this piece belonged to my great grandmother and for a long time has taken space in various family member's houses. Here is a picture:

The writing on the front says:
Marcellus
Philad'a New York
Three Sounding Boards
Patented Oct 30, 1902

I've been trying to figure out if this is worth anything, other sentamental value. If it is an actual antique or anything, I'll put out the money to get it fixed and in workable condition, if not I think I may just trash it. Anything anyone knows about it would be much appreciated; google hasn't been much help. Thank you all for your help!

Ms. Anna

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2015519 - 01/16/13 02:31 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Short answer? NO. It's not worth it.

Do you have any idea whatsoever how many parts are on the inside of the "case of that piano that nobody can see?" Those unseen parts, are the working parts of the piano. What you show in the picture is a mere picture of the outside of the piano and the basic condition of "it." Given that one picture, it is a safe bet that the inside of the piano is in much worse shape than the outside is to which I would say...trash it...
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2015522 - 01/16/13 02:36 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia

#2015532 - 01/16/13 02:52 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If you were thinking of restoring it with the idea that it would be worth more than it would cost to restore, that is not the case. If you were thinking of restoring it with the idea that it would be a piano that you could use for the rest of your life, regardless of its value, that is a possibility, but even then, not always.

#2015796 - 01/16/13 09:20 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pianos like this tend to have not just $0 value, but negative value, due to the cost of having it professionally disposed of.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2015857 - 01/17/13 12:18 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
It may have been nice in its day, but that was 110 years ago. Consider if your washing machine was that old... would it be a valuable antique, or off to the store for a new one?

The useful life of a good piano is about 50 years; with regular care you might stretch it to 60+, but with diminishing returns. The keyboard shows that there is some obvious damage--- it has not been cared for. You might call in a tech for an appraisal, but I would not hope for much money value from an unknown make. For less than the thousands of dollars it would take to put it in shape, you might buy a new one, in warranty, which would be a much better piano in the first place, and which would last long enough for your grandkids to play it (or maybe their grandkids).

The Praying Hands on the keyboard are pointing the way: that piano is going to be with Jesus very soon.

#2015903 - 01/17/13 03:21 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
The main question is, does it have great sentimental value because it belonged to your great grandmother?

If the answer is yes, pay about $100 - 150 to have it evaluated by a technician, who will tell you how many thousands it'll cost to fix up. (Angie's list is a good place to find one.)

If the answer is no, get rid of it. (Craig's list it as a freebie for that.)

The part about "three sounding boards" is interesting, though. I've never seen that before, and kinda wonder what they mean.

Edited by JohnSprung (01/17/13 03:24 AM)

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2015985 - 01/17/13 08:04 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: John Sprung
The part about "three sounding boards" is interesting, though. I've never seen that before, and kinda wonder what they mean.

My receintly acquired old Conover upright has three bridges (Bass, tenor, treble)... maybe that is what they meant.

Rick

#2015986 - 01/17/13 08:04 AM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: ju5t1n-h

Here's another idea (perhaps a bit more practical...ahem...):

piano desk

It is unfortunate that this heirloom was not maintained over the years, but this is a way you can keep the heirloom and make it something someone can actually use.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2016401 - 01/17/13 10:47 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
One problem are all the reality shows of people finding pianos like this in old buildings and saying wow this is worth a fortune. Can someone get it working? Maybe but it depends on where it's been. We cleaned one up ( Bush & Lane) that sat in workshop for 80 years. The owner said it was sitting there 50 years ago when he moved in which sounds pretty bad to me but it turned out to be the opposite.

Did it need a 10K restoration? No. It was cleaned up, we put new bass strings on it and now it's being used to record with at A440. That was 5 years ago and they are still using it. So It just depends on the person and if they feel motivated enough to take a hard look at it
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2016718 - 01/18/13 12:56 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
This is prescient. One of my students is unfortunately playing on one that might be similar to this. The Mom refuses to get rid of it, even had it refinished. The soundboard is flat, the bridge looks like it spent some time underwater. The bridge pins no longer maintain the proper trajectory of the strings due to the massive splits in the bridge. The action is shot the hammers hard as heck. The tuning pins are loose and the "piano" sounds like a honky-tonk in an old western bar all the while being tuned a step flat. The poor student of course cannot control dynamics or develop the ability to make subtle changes in any matter, way shape or form.I have suggested that almost any studio upright available on Craigslist would be an improvement. The Mom's retort was "Where would I put this one?" She then went on to tell me that she believes that her piano sounds every bit as good as her Dad's Yamaha grand and we will just have to agree to disagree. Imagine!!! I am negotiating on them getting a touch-sensitive keyboard. I wish this old junk would find its way to the landfill, so I wouldn't have to deal with it. It's not the first time, and it's so unfair to the student.I try very hard to be diplomatic with my clients, but this one had me close to the edge. I was just trying to figure out whether those two degrees in piano performance and 20 years of rebuilding experience had any meaning.
John Pels

#2016722 - 01/18/13 01:08 PM Re: Is it worth it? [Re: MsAnna]
jawhitti Offline

Hah! My in-laws are both quite well-to-do, they probably make $200,000 between them. Their daughter was interested in piano so after the kid exhausted the $100 casio they brought home a *ghastly* clunker not unlike the one pictured. It was so awful as to be beyond description. I have no idea where they found it, but nothing worked. The notes that could sound made horrible, horrible noises.

Surprisingly their daughter soon lost interest in piano. A lot of parents think "well, maybe we'll get her something better if she sticks with it" while not thinking that if the piano sounds and feels awful that the kid will probably quit out of frustration.

I'm sorry for your poor student.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348970 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission