Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2015588 - 01/16/13 03:59 PM András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata
Jaak Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
Hi everybody,

You can see no picture but the information can be very interesting and devastating for some maybe?? smile

LINK HERE

Best wishes,
Jaak

Edited by Jaak (01/16/13 05:08 PM)

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2015977 - 01/17/13 07:47 AM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I think he's right about the first movement tempo.He plays slightly slower in his ECM recording which is just about spot on.
I don't like to hear it played right through with the dampers raised though.I could do it on my digital no problem, but not on a modern grand in a bright acoustic, it sounds terrible.

Edited by timmyab (01/17/13 07:56 AM)

#2016017 - 01/17/13 09:57 AM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I enjoyed the recording. It was both beautiful and insightful. He is like a scholar. Thank you. Just one question. I thought master class involves getting student play the piece and he/she receives feedback from the teacher, usually well known or an acclaimed pianist like him. Just wondering. Perhaps there are many variation of it.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2016118 - 01/17/13 12:43 PM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
I almost fell out of my chair listening to this explanation.

This piece frightens the daylights out of me and I've always semi-jokingly referenced it as Beethoven's Stalker Murderer Sonata.

Instead of Moonlight it's more: Stealthily follow "problem" into the woods. Quietly track problem into lonely territory. Hide and wait for pursued to double back. Problem solved and dragged to hiding-hole. Walk out of woods - not exactly pleased with what occurred - but satisfied it had to be done.

I've even explained to others that to me it's Beethoven walking into the woods with a Moirai but only one walks out alive.

Now I have ammunition against years of ridicule from friends and family and their 'You fool, this is a romantic piece!' mockery.

#2016143 - 01/17/13 01:27 PM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: timmyab]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: timmyab
I don't like to hear it played right through with the dampers raised though.I could do it on my digital no problem, but not on a modern grand in a bright acoustic, it sounds terrible.

He did explain the 'issue' of sustain of modern pianos and that he plays it with the pedal 1/3rd the way down? Unless I missed something smirk

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2016213 - 01/17/13 03:49 PM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
The whole set of lectures on Beethoven's sonatas here:
http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

#2016242 - 01/17/13 04:37 PM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: floydthebarber71]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
Originally Posted By: floydthebarber71
He did explain the 'issue' of sustain of modern pianos and that he plays it with the pedal 1/3rd the way down? Unless I missed something smirk

It's still far too much dissonance for me.

#2016332 - 01/17/13 08:46 PM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Tararex]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Tararex
[...] This piece frightens the daylights out of me [...]

Instead of Moonlight it's more: Stealthily follow "problem" into the woods. Quietly track problem into lonely territory. Hide and wait for pursued to double back. Problem solved and dragged to hiding-hole. Walk out of woods - not exactly pleased with what occurred - but satisfied it had to be done. [...]

Well said, Tararex! Consider your impression validated!

I am playing the first movement in church on Sunday for "special music." Scripture reading and sermon topic: Psalm 23, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no ill..."

Several thoughts: I remember the ideas in Schiff's lecture were brought out in discussion when Carey posted his rendition of the first movement a while ago. I also recall an "artist in residence" lecture at the John Deere Center in Moline, IL, sometime in the 70s, in which the pianist said she believed the movement is often played too, too fast, and went on to play it at a ponderously, ponderously slow pace. I *also* recall Valentina Lisitsa, last year in recital, introduce the first movement as a funeral dirge. That did not square with my understanding of it, at all! (Though she did play an exceptionally cogent third movement...!)

Personally, I think this piece is hard to wreck, no matter how it is played. If you get in bounds, it is incredibly deep music that accepts a wide range of tempi and interpretation. Argue all you want about the pedalling--play it on a pianoforte if you want (fine by me! I'd love to hear it!)--but this piece is Die Hard, 1801: Suspense! Comedy! Action! "I cried. I laughed. I cheered. I want to see it again and again!"

--Andy

#2016368 - 01/17/13 09:52 PM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I was hoping for something more insightful from Mr. Schiff.

#2016430 - 01/18/13 12:03 AM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
Tararex Offline

@Plowboy
Thank you for posting this link. I've listened to the first two - they were quite interesting.

@Cinnamonbear
I agree that the piece survives tempi and interpretive adjustments like few others. But isn't this is true of much of Beethoven's work? Schiff noted in his first lecture some composers (Mozart) wrote so "unfriendly" that the smallest change brings everything crashing down. He stated that Beethoven was musically friendly - but really didn't explain why. String musicians certainly didn't think LVB was musically friendly.

Music students - what makes the difference in elasticity? As a neophyte I thought perhaps working the edge of accepted tonality would make pieces fragile but it was Beethoven who worked the edges, not Mozart. What should I be looking at?

I don't agree with Lisitsa's funeral dirge interpretation. I've read where descendents of Julie Guicciardi insist Moonlight is a funeral march. If so, why would LVB dedicate it to a young woman? (No, I refuse to go there.) Also, using a slower tempo lightens the suspense instead of making it darker as would be expected from a dirge. Beethoven would not make that sort of error.

On further thought - handing over a piece of subliminal stalker fantasy to a pretty young "you can't have that" makes some sense. Perhaps it was best not everyone "got" Beethoven in his own time or the 19th century equivalent of a restraining order may have been ordered.

Kindest,
Julie

#2016518 - 01/18/13 04:35 AM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Tararex]
Cassiesmom Offline

Loc: Mid Atlantic, US.
I almost fell out of my chair listening to this explanation.

This piece frightens the daylights out of me and I've always semi-jokingly referenced it as Beethoven's Stalker Murderer Sonata.

Instead of Moonlight it's more: Stealthily follow "problem" into the woods. Quietly track problem into lonely territory. Hide and wait for pursued to double back. Problem solved and dragged to hiding-hole. Walk out of woods - not exactly pleased with what occurred - but satisfied it had to be done.

okay. well i just laughed out loud at your description of the "Stalker Sonata". unexpectedly hilarious.

#2016533 - 01/18/13 05:53 AM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Does Schiff play the Hammerklavier at Beethoven's metronome markings (which is very fast not just for the first movement but also the slow movement, which in most pianists' hands is of Schubertian 'heavenly length', but not if played at the metronome marking), like HJ Lim does in her recording?

Whatever you think of her interpretations, at least she is consistent, following what Beethoven wrote. She also plays the Moonlight (1) very fast with pedal down.

If Schiff doesn't, then he is basically just picking and choosing what he wants to do - like most pianists.....

#2016625 - 01/18/13 10:25 AM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Tararex]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
On further thought - handing over a piece of subliminal stalker fantasy to a pretty young "you can't have that" makes some sense. Perhaps it was best not everyone "got" Beethoven in his own time or the 19th century equivalent of a restraining order may have been ordered.

Truly hilarious, Julie! laugh I am still wiping the tears from my eyes. grin I would generalize from your point, too, that it takes imagination to open up *any* piece of music.

As far as Mozart goes, here is a thought that was expressed in the Tuner/Tech thread the other day by PW member DoelKees, commenting on a recording of someone's performance of a Mozart Sonanta, in which the tuning of the instrument was in question. DoelKees commented:

Originally Posted By: DoelKees
When I listen I am more concerned with the excessive tempi and the seriousness of the playing. After all Mozart was a silly drunk, and his compositions show it. It should not be played as if it was profound. (Warning: peculiar personal opinion.)

As far as tempi elasticity, I'd say as one who pushes the lines one way or the other pretty often (and misses the mark often, too, so take this for what it's worth, which is not much), it seems to me that each piece has a tempo "sweet spot," -- a living pulse to be found organically through the whole of the melodic lines, harmonic structures, and dynamic arcs, etc. Allegro-ish. Largo-ish. Andante-ish. Presto-ish. Of course, some people can get a piece to work by making the piece come to heel by sheer force of will. But sometimes a piece really opens up its meaning to you when you give it some slack, finding that sweet spot, which might be either faster or slower than you have been taking it, or even as marked.

--Andy

#2016709 - 01/18/13 12:37 PM Re: András Schiff Masterclass - Moonlight Sonata [Re: Jaak]
Tararex Offline

***After all Mozart was a silly drunk, and his compositions show it.***

I have to agree with exception for his Operas and a handful of truly great pieces. Considering his output and abilities there should be less fluff and more wow. But yes, the modern need for interpretive change from silly drunk ditty into "serious piece" is a discussion in itself.

I'm at early intermediate level and attempted some of M's training pieces last year. Discovered for the greater part they were uninspired or uninteresting in development. It's difficult to learn from pay-the-bill toss offs.

I now use Beethoven's trifles and sonatinas (and started Sonata 19 Gm, Op49.1 this week) almost exclusively as training material. Only B manages to fire-hose theory and technique while maintaining inspirational beauty. The man put as much thought into the easy as he did the difficult. My appreciation for LVB has increased tremendously since beginning this piano journey.

I'm at a loss as to why Beethoven bagatelles sound great played at any tempo and even missing a few notes. Oops laugh. The only other pieces I've come across with this ability are from Handel and to a lesser degree, Haydn and Purcell. Must find answer!

I'm only capable of a rough Moonlight but both fingers and ears insist on a faster tempo - so I agree there is a sweet spot. But now I'm curious as to why the snail pace is favored. Audience expectations?

Are there other Beethoven (or well known others) pieces with this type of argument?

Rantings from a curious mind,
Julie

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (Allard, AZNpiano, AZ_Astro, 23 invisible), 1072 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157227 Topics
2309238 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
57 minutes 40 seconds ago
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission