Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2016164 - 01/17/13 02:09 PM Saving our Piano program, Apple
JakesMom Offline

Hi all, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I am Jake's mom. I play no piano myself, but my son Jake has been playing piano since he was 5. He's 12 now, and pretty darn good, in the humble opinion of his mother smile We live in Georgia where the public schools are not the greatest, so we've been sending him to private school his whole life. Financially we can't do it anymore - husband lost his job awhile back and his new one pays half what the old one did. But we thought we had a great plan - we'd enroll him in the Dekalb School for the Arts, a public high school that specializes in performing arts. It would be free, has a great academic record, and he could pursue his two loves, creative writing and the piano. Any applying student has to audition in two majors and those were to be his.

Much to my dissapointment, in this years application, they cut out piano. I called the school and they said due to budget cuts, the piano program was gone. How could they do this? C'mon, the piano is, to me, at least, the foundation, the backbone, of music. How can they have an orchestra without a piano? We are all crushed.

Not sure what can be done. But tell me if you think this is a viable idea or not. I was thinking of contacting piano manufacturers and seeing if, after hearing of the sad state of affairs, they might donate money to get the school's piano program up and running again. Does it seem possible, or are the Steinways and Yamahas just as broke as Dekalb County GA?

On a side note... I read your lovely tributes to Apple. I knew her from the breast cancer boards, as we were both afflicted by this disease. She was also a kind, thoughtful, supportive woman over there as well. I saw with sadness the news of her passing, and for the first time got to see the videos of her play. So beautiful, and so sad to think we'll never hear that again. My health is good, but I do need to rest a lot and sometimes when I'm drifting off I hear the most beautiful music and I think, wait - is that really my Jake playing the piano? He's gotten so good in the past few years. Such a beautiful musical instrument, especially when I hear it played by people like Apple and my boy.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2016171 - 01/17/13 02:21 PM Re: Saving our Piano program, Apple [Re: JakesMom]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I doubt if anyone here would know if the manufacturers would donate. You probably should contact them.

You were actually pretty lucky until now. Most of the schools around here don't even have a decent piano at all, let alone a piano program. At a school I worked at until recently, we had to do fund raisers to get a mediocre digital. It's pretty sad but it seems pretty common to cut the arts. Incidentally, they all have a pretty full athletics programs and have made no cuts or very few there.

I would be interested to know if you get any results from any of the companies.

Indeed a sad state of affairs.

#2016217 - 01/17/13 03:55 PM Re: Saving our Piano program, Apple [Re: JakesMom]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The piano industry is so tiny as to be invisible compared to other industries. Dekalb County's 2013 School Budget is $1.1 billion. Their annual operations (~$760 million) is about 4x that of Yamaha's annual operations for their entire musical instruments segment (~$198 million)... worldwide.

I would encourage you elsewhere. Local needs are best met locally. Also, piano labs for group lessons are a more modern approach to piano instruction in public schools.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2016228 - 01/17/13 04:21 PM Re: Saving our Piano program, Apple [Re: JakesMom]
TigerRad Offline

Loc: Columbia, SC
Do you have any idea how much money we are talking about? The website says they offer four sections of piano classes. Presumably since this has been offered in the past they already have adequate instruments and physical facilities.

The salary and benefits for one teacher, plus the upkeep on the pianos, doesn't seem like it should be THAT much.

I bet some local arts philanthropist could be talked into endowing such a thing. There are a LOT of rich folks and BIG companies in the Atlanta area.

eta: Plus its an arts high school, so there have to be pianos around for rehearsals, accompanying soloists, dance classes etc.

Edited by TigerRad (01/17/13 04:41 PM)

#2016371 - 01/17/13 09:53 PM Re: Saving our Piano program, Apple [Re: JakesMom]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I think their biggest concern is the teachers salary. ( + pension + benefits). Most high school bands raise their own money to buy instruments and uniforms, but by law the need to have an accredited teacher.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to other parents. Perhaps contact the Parent/teachers association. It is odd that they would cut keyboard instruments entirely. I'm wondering if they dropped the name "piano" so they can include other keyboard instruments.

#2016428 - 01/18/13 12:00 AM Re: Saving our Piano program, Apple [Re: JakesMom]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
DeKalb county...yikes!!!

It amazing how many different ways that the government wastes money. Until we start electing politicians who are serious about financial management and less concerned about elections, more things (like music programs) will continue to disappear.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#2016505 - 01/18/13 03:32 AM Re: Saving our Piano program, Apple [Re: Dave B]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave B
I think their biggest concern is the teachers salary. ( + pension + benefits). Most high school bands raise their own money to buy instruments and uniforms, but by law the need to have an accredited teacher.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to other parents. Perhaps contact the Parent/teachers association. It is odd that they would cut keyboard instruments entirely. I'm wondering if they dropped the name "piano" so they can include other keyboard instruments.

+1, it's probably not the piano that's gone but the teacher.

#2016846 - 01/18/13 06:22 PM Re: Saving our Piano program, Apple [Re: JakesMom]
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
You can fight it, but it’s probably not going to help. Most school systems have had declining revenue for five years since local funds come from property taxes. A specialized program in a public school would be nice, but they have a huge universe of issues to solve in a big urban district like DeKalb. I think I’d send him anyway, if you like the writing and academic program. You might also take a closer look at your local school and talk to parents of kids like your son. Often public schools do an exceptional job with gifted kids, even if the overall scores are not high. You might be able to do some of the testing or paperwork now before he enrolls.

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 42 invisible), 1767 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156267 Topics
2294931 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
07/29/14 07:02 PM
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission