Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2016249 - 01/17/13 05:10 PM Another one bites the dust
Radio.Octave Offline

Just got an email about this if anyone in the Cleveland area is interested. I think they're the only Steinway dealer around here that I know of.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2016282 - 01/17/13 06:45 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I find it very annoying that many of the posts about dealer closings seem to almost delight in the announcement. Very insensitive. Dealer closings should not be a happy event for anyone really interested pianos. If you must inform the rest of the world about things like this(to what purpose?)at least do it with some class.

#2016295 - 01/17/13 07:07 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
jawhitti Offline

I dunno - depends on the dealer I guess. Some dealers are real shysters and I know my local Steinway dealer can be a bit...arrogant. I don't know anything about the dealer in question though and the lack of dealers around me was certainly annoying when I was shopping.

#2016296 - 01/17/13 07:08 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Pianoloverus
I find it very annoying that many of the posts about dealer closings seem to almost delight in the announcement. Very insensitive. Dealer closings should not be a happy event for anyone really interested pianos. If you must inform the rest of the world about things like this(to what purpose?)at least do it with some class.

Pianoloverus, what is so insensitive here... the title of the thread? It is an announcement about a piano dealer closing.

I agree that the title is a little blunt, but not outrageous.

I hate to see piano dealers close too, but I think you were a little harsh on the OP here.

Rick

#2016312 - 01/17/13 07:52 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Rickster]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Originally Posted By: Pianoloverus

Pianoloverus, what is so insensitive here... the title of the thread? It is an announcement about a piano dealer closing.

I agree that the title is a little blunt, but not outrageous.

I hate to see piano dealers close too, but I think you were a little harsh on the OP here.

Rick
Of course I was referring to the title. I think the title is way more than a little blunt and it's both nasty and incredibly insensitive.

Imagine it was your business or a friend's business that closed. Would you want it announced to the world that you "bit the dust"?

It's also typical of how some posters seem to delight when a Steinway dealership closes.

#2016316 - 01/17/13 08:00 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
If it was my business, and somebody posted my ad saying I was closing for good, I would be grateful. That is the point of the ad.

It's news. One more dealer closing.

I actually think the OP's thread title is well said.

Dealer's have been biting the dust. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#2016394 - 01/17/13 10:25 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: accordeur]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
How do you know they are going out of business? There is an obvious ad but there are plenty of piano dealers that have many going out of business sales , move their inventory to a tent and then they are still there or just open in the same spot or up the road with another name?

Maybe the floor space contracts were not fulfilled and they are changing brands too. Some states make it illegal to have a sale like that and still be in business but when I see those ads it just tells me that its a pre-inventory clean out due to the time of year.

Go to that location in six months and see if there is a Chicken restaurant there, if so they are gone or moved. If not well I rest my case.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2016400 - 01/17/13 10:41 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Doesn't Mattlin-Hyde have a number of locations? Is it just the Lyndhurst store which is closing?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2016432 - 01/18/13 12:08 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Is it just me, or is anyone else bothered by the uneven letters in the ad? Looks like a ransom note.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2016462 - 01/18/13 01:49 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Isn't Beckstein supposed to be Bechstein?

#2016465 - 01/18/13 02:04 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: pianoloverus]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Of course I was referring to the title. I think the title is way more than a little blunt and it's both nasty and incredibly insensitive.

Isn't the title a quote from a 1980s rock song?

I think a lot of people would describe the 1980s as nasty and incredibly insensitive.

#2016539 - 01/18/13 06:28 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: accordeur]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: accordeur
If it was my business, and somebody posted my ad saying I was closing for good, I would be grateful. That is the point of the ad.

It's news. One more dealer closing.

I actually think the OP's thread title is well said.

Dealer's have been biting the dust. It's sad, but it is what it is.
I think you missed the point by a mile. It was the language the OP used to say the dealership was closing. It was the title of the thread that was inappropriately insensitive by a mile.

#2016566 - 01/18/13 08:23 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Businesses fail all the time. Some have a good sense of humor or perspective and some don't. It's not like someone died though and they said this (presumably).
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2016569 - 01/18/13 08:30 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Sometimes they really mean they are going out of business. Piano City had a big going out of business sign in their window. When I finally decided to take their offer of a new Charles Walter studio for $6000, I grabbed my checkbook and drove down to their store and...

They were out of business!!!

#2016578 - 01/18/13 08:41 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
jawhitti Offline

I madeca comment last week about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy and was criticized for being insensitive to dealers. Now apparently this posting ruffled feathers for being insensitive to dealers.

Many people find this site via Google, which indexes all of these threads forever, including the flame wars. Threads like this one in the search results make pianoworld seem insular and hostile.

Even I noticed that this site is pretty prone to flame wars just from threads I would dig up on Google. That does not make it easy for new people to join. No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them.

People are going to say things that offend your sensibilities in any open forum. PM them if your feelings are hurt or just let it go?

EDIT: and yes by posting this openly instead of sending PMs I guess I am part of the problem.

Edited by jawhitti (01/18/13 09:25 AM)

#2016589 - 01/18/13 09:12 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The ad does not say they are going out of business. It says "Closing Forever".

So they can close the current store, and carry on elsewhere. The wording avoids running afoul of any laws about them saying they are going out of business, but not actually going out of business.

With that vague wording, they could have a closet door somewhere in the building that has "Forever" stenciled on it, and they are going to shut that door. laugh

#2016591 - 01/18/13 09:17 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them..."

You get used to it--- in fact, PW has a very handy "Ignore" feature. Does wonders for the blood pressure.

#2016611 - 01/18/13 09:55 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: jawhitti]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: jawhitti
I madeca comment last week about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy and was criticized for being insensitive to dealers. Now apparently this posting ruffled feathers for being insensitive to dealers.

Many people find this site via Google, which indexes all of these threads forever, including the flame wars. Threads like this one in the search results make pianoworld seem insular and hostile.

Even I noticed that this site is pretty prone to flame wars just from threads I would dig up on Google. That does not make it easy for new people to join. No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them.

People are going to say things that offend your sensibilities in any open forum. PM them if your feelings are hurt or just let it go?

EDIT: and yes by posting this openly instead of sending PMs I guess I am part of the problem.
Or maybe the first post was just insensitive and inappropriate.

I think a comment about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy, depending on how it is phrased, could also be insensitive to dealers.

#2016623 - 01/18/13 10:24 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It is a sad fact of the current economy, a few years ago many furniture stores were closing, and when the economy recovers
you will see furniture stores come back...
sadly pianos are not for the masses, only selective clients
so the stores won't be coming back, but the ones that remain will absorb all the sales..

#2016629 - 01/18/13 10:30 AM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: pianoloverus]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal

I think a comment about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy, depending on how it is phrased, could also be insensitive to dealers.

The negotiable price is the system set up by the dealers themselves. They made the bed, now they have to sleep in it.

I've yet to read a post from a dealer bemoaning the fact that some poor schmuck came into his shop and paid full MSRP.

#2017306 - 01/19/13 02:28 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: pianoloverus]
lara77 Offline

Lighten up, Pianoloverus..many people in the area may want to check this out

#2017362 - 01/19/13 03:39 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: lara77]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: lara77
Lighten up, Pianoloverus..many people in the area may want to check this out
You're completely missing my point. This was not just a question of someone posting about a dealer closing.

If you or someone like owned a store that was closing would you want it posted that you were "biting the dust"? Or would you prefer "Store X is closing and having a closing sale".

Telling someone else to "lighten up" is quite dismissive. The phrase assumes that the someone else has no sense of humor or is making something out of nothing and the person telling someone else to "lighten up" is viewing things correctly.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/19/13 03:45 PM)

#2017374 - 01/19/13 03:54 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Plowboy]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Plowboy

The negotiable price is the system set up by the dealers themselves. They made the bed, now they have to sleep in it.

I've yet to read a post from a dealer bemoaning the fact that some poor schmuck came into his shop and paid full MSRP.

I don't think that justifies trying to take extreme advantage of poor economy or a particular dealer's financial problems. Even if one thinks the negotiable pricing system is flawed or bad, two wrongs don't make a right as the saying goes. Since some dealer was unfair with a sale that now justifies a customer to be unfair?

Some posters seem to delight in putting the screws to piano dealers which I find unattractive. I am certainly not some highly pro dealer person but I think a reasonable amount of fairness is the ethical way to proceed.

Edited by pianoloverus (01/19/13 03:56 PM)

#2017385 - 01/19/13 04:13 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: pianoloverus]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
When Allans (the biggest music retailer in Australia) closed down, I remember that the article I read had something like "The Music Is Over for Allans" in the title. I thought it was a sad pun. After all, it was the biggest and oldest music retailer here. But journalists love puns in titles. frown

Music is my best friend.

#2017387 - 01/19/13 04:18 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: pianoloverus]
Guapo Gabacho Offline

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
Telling someone else to "lighten up" is quite dismissive. The phrase assumes that the someone else has no sense of humor or is making something out of nothing and the person telling someone else to "lighten up" is viewing things correctly.

Lighten up!

#2017412 - 01/19/13 05:00 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
pianoloverus, you crack me up.

#2017433 - 01/19/13 05:52 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: jawhitti]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them. . . "

Oh, I dunno. It can be fun, `specially when you know your right! Right?

""

#2017441 - 01/19/13 06:00 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
"Another one bites the dust" was a much loved and played funeral song (by Queen) when I was at the Crem. I only had to spin the disc, fortunately. It is, or has become, an accepted phrase. One might use it of an old contemporary who has .. .departed this world, in this context it is to me at any rate, rather wistful, ie that things were different. Like ya favourite pub`s closed down (moist eyes evident). (Mine did, but it`s reopened again heh heh)

""

#2017457 - 01/19/13 06:35 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: peterws]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: peterws
"Another one bites the dust" was a much loved and played funeral song (by Queen) when I was at the Crem. I only had to spin the disc, fortunately. It is, or has become, an accepted phrase.
Of course, it's a standard phrase but that doesn't mean it's appropriate here.

#2017473 - 01/19/13 07:01 PM Re: Another one bites the dust [Re: Radio.Octave]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
It's perfectly appropriate and acceptable here.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
20 minutes 1 second ago
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
46 minutes 51 seconds ago
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
Today at 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
Today at 08:51 AM
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
Today at 06:58 AM
Who's Online
152 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, 255, albumblatter, ajames, 49 invisible), 1418 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76219 Members
42 Forums
157560 Topics
2314300 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission