Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2015848 - 01/16/13 11:42 PM tuning a piano with all new strings
flash45 Offline

Hi everyone. I was wondering how frequently I will have to have my piano tuned as it has been rebuilt (all new strings pinblock pins etc.) It was tuned before I got it, then I had it tuned 2mos later (early nov) as i noticed it was out of tune. It sounds good overall but I can hear some notes are slightly out (flat) and some of the unisons are not quite together (I hear waves or beats) I hope you understand what I mean..

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2015852 - 01/17/13 12:00 AM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
A new piano from a store should be tuned 3 - 4 times the first year, 2 - 3 times the second year. (Individual manufacturers may have slightly different recommendations) A rebuilt piano often does not have the tuning stability, initially, as a piano from a factory. So you can count on even more tunings. However, there is great variability between rebuilders. Best to talk to your rebuilder as see what is considered normal for the work they turn out.

It is important to not let the pitch drop appreciably, so keep the tunings regular in the first few years. Personally, on restrung pianos of my own, I tune slightly above concert pitch for the first year at least - the piano will then gently settle to A-440.
good luck,.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2015861 - 01/17/13 12:23 AM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: Supply]
TunerJeff Online   content

Loc: Oregon Coast
Jurgen knows what he's talking about!

Attention to tuning in the first year or two will pay longterm dividends in stability as your piano ages. When the piano has been well-trained and tuned from the get-go...they tend to be more solid and stable as the years go by.

Remember that you are stabilizing and 'conditioning' about 40,000 to 50,000 lbs. of string tension on the plate, soundboard, and frame. Tune it frequently in the first two years, and it will actually WANT to tune easily when the technician comes to service the piano...or so I have found after 30+ years of tuning. There is a real difference in the tuning of a well-maintained piano vs. one infrequently serviced. When tuned well during the first two years, they just know where they should go, and they tend to be more solid and reliable between tunings, too.

Every 3 or 4 months is not a bad idea at all!

Just sayin',
I am,

#2015894 - 01/17/13 02:38 AM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
The japanese tuner said you learn the young piano to be in tune, as a young dog learns to be quiet.

#2016158 - 01/17/13 01:55 PM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The stabilty of a rebuilt piano will depend on the quality of the piano, and what the rebuilder does to stabilize the strings. My most recent rebuild, a Steinway A was a quick in home tuning, one month after delivery, however the strings had been on the piano about 6 months, and I'd tuned it 6 times during that time, in addition to other string stabilizing things such as seating at the bridge and hitch pin, tightening tuning pin coils, etc.

Jurgen's schedule is a good guide and it's important because experience has shown me that keeping a piano at pitch when new will lead to a more stable piano as it ages and it will handle humidity changes better. The piano "learns" what in tune is, and tends to want to stay there - for want of a better phrase.

#2016216 - 01/17/13 03:55 PM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

It also takes some time before the attack of the note have that nice rebound expected.
When new the strings seem to send partials in all directions and the sound is not policed, even when tuned, the piano is a little harsh for some time.

Totally agreed on more tuning the first years , 2 years seem to be enough , but keeping the pitch with new strings is less easy (unless they have settle a few months in the rebuilder shop with adequate treatment, as said Bob)

ANd yes it pay in the long run I haave seen a piano staying "playeable" without real pitch drop, for years, (10 to be exact but the pitch was 438,5 at that moment) only after a good stabilisation the 3 first years (fine regulation and voicing inclueded) But it was a new piano from a factory, and possibly have been yet worked in the dealers workshop too

I was the first surprized

Edited by Kamin (01/17/13 04:01 PM)

#2016269 - 01/17/13 06:03 PM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Totally depends on how well the string was formed around the hitch pin and coiled on the pin. If it was put in a position that closely resembles what it will settle to in a year, the time to stabilize will significantly be reduced.

#2016522 - 01/18/13 04:54 AM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: Emmery]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
Totally depends on how well the string was formed around the hitch pin and coiled on the pin. If it was put in a position that closely resembles what it will settle to in a year, the time to stabilize will significantly be reduced.

Around the bridge pins as well, while massaging/marking the bend too soon will make the tone loose some partials.

#2016524 - 01/18/13 05:04 AM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: flash45
Hi everyone. I was wondering how frequently I will have to have my piano tuned as it has been rebuilt (all new strings pinblock pins etc.) It was tuned before I got it, then I had it tuned 2mos later (early nov) as i noticed it was out of tune. It sounds good overall but I can hear some notes are slightly out (flat) and some of the unisons are not quite together (I hear waves or beats) I hope you understand what I mean..

Just for the story I was called once to tune a S&S B that had new strings installed 16 months before, and was tuned once in the customer's place since then (and probably not much stabilized in the workshop)

The pianist (a professional) was planning a rehearseal with a violin and a cello (in fact they dd work yet for some hours)

The piano was 2 tones flat and all other the place, I even wondered how they could play any music on it.

After a pitch raise pass and a tuning it was just barely playeable for one afternoon.

The pinblock was not changed and it was visibly shot , I find 3-4 different pin size while tuning.

Just to witness how much some so (rare) called professional musicians can have mud in the ears, and be mean on paying a technician .

In the end he wanted to sell the piano but the pinblock have to be changed before (the original workshop did the job in correction of their precedent miss, so all finished well)

The conservatory I worked for at those time left all (but the exams) pianos 14 months without tuning (due to my job the pianos did hold enough ...)

And the music teatchers pretend to learn students how to listen wink

#2016687 - 01/18/13 11:59 AM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
When we return a restrung piano to a client we include the first 5 tunings with the job: 3 weeks, 2 months, 5 months, 8 months, one year.

We leave the piano at 444 for the first tuning, and plan on massaging all the strings down and accentuating the string bends at the 8 month tuning.

Make sure the coils are nice and tight around the tuning pins - sloppy coils don't help tuning stability.
www.pianova.net

#2016689 - 01/18/13 12:01 PM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
And, Ryan gives them a free CAT Joy!!!!! LOL!
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2016778 - 01/18/13 03:18 PM Re: tuning a piano with all new strings [Re: flash45]
flash45 Offline

Thank you all very much! I had no idea that I would have to have my piano tuned so often for the first few years. The info regarding string placement and bend etc. is mind boggeling. I will have to talk to my tech. About this. I am not a prof. Musician but I love to play the piano and spent a lot of money (for me) for my piano so I want to do everything right.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, ajames, Allan W., A Guy, 49 invisible), 1446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157142 Topics
2307826 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
08/29/14 09:32 AM
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
08/29/14 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission