2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
rnaple Offline OP

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
... it would be "unfair" to hold anything in the whole, wide, wonderful world of entertainment "up to it's standard"...

Gee Trapper.... You make me look forward even more to seeing the play. I'm really not into entertainment. I get bored with movies. Walk out. I'm a writer at heart. I think of what is behind what is going on. I think of the intent.
I may be getting into more than I bargained for in the play. I'm going to be sitting close enough that I can not only see them up close and personal, and hear themselves actually singing. I'll be able to feel them singing. Singing is bearing one's heart and soul, completely naked in front of people. It is not easy to do, right. This may corrupt me, on entertainment.
Last time I saw a live play was... lets see.... oh yes... The great mecca of artistic talent at the Antelope Valley Jr. College... Doh! I don't even remember what it was about. I do remember each one of them acted as if it was about them. ... Doh!
May God have mercy on me and my humble income. (typical SD income) Doh! I may spend more time going to Denver's Performing Arts Center in the future.

Edit: For the life of me. I cannot understand these idiots going on a bus to see some football game. Geesh... They don't have a life! How stupid! But something like Les Miserables in a live play. That is a whole different story. Now I just need a nice heifer who can appreciate the thoughts of Victor Hugo. Then afterward the two of us can play Hunchback of Notre Dame.... Sanctuary!....Oh yes!....glorious Sanctuary!

Last edited by rnaple; 01/05/13 06:02 PM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple

Gee Trapper.... You make me look forward even more to seeing the play.

...this may corrupt me, on entertainment.

...May God have mercy on me and my humble income. I may spend more time going to Denver's Performing Arts Center in the future.

smile

In addition to all the great shows that Rogers & Hammerstein composed, two other musicals are more than well worth seeing live and in-person because they are so special and unique and vastly entertaining: "Fiddler on the Roof" (as mentioned by pj above) and "A Chorus Line", my own personal favorite before "Les Mis" came bursting on the scene - both held the record for longest run on Broadway for awhile...both can easily justify going deeper in debt laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Trap, so glad you mentioned "Fiddler on the Roof".
I have never seen the stage production, only the movie (as mentioned in a previous post) and I do believe it's my favorite musical of all time. (note the word musical, not necessarily play/story).

Ron- rent it if you haven't seen it- and it has to be the version with Topol in it. It's a 1971 film, won 3 academy awards (which probably meant a lot more back then!) for best picture, best actor amongst them.

The story is both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time; a story of family and love and harsh realities of life.
Throw in some melodic music, great lyrics and what's not to like?

Trap, I liked A Chorus Line (saw live a few times) and always enjoyed it, not really a favorite.

My latest more favorite- Jersey Boys. Have you seen?
Again, based on a real life story, the music has you jumping out of your seat wanting to bop along (and these guys were before my time, mind you!); very very entertaining.

My gut tells me Ron would not greatly favor either Chorus Line or Jersey Boys; just a hunch...
I'm guessing Miss Saigon might be more up his alley- or hills, as it might be...

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy

My latest more favorite- Jersey Boys. Have you seen?

My gut tells me Ron would not greatly favor either Chorus Line or Jersey Boys; just a hunch...
I'm guessing Miss Saigon might be more up his alley- or hills, as it might be...

No, I haven't seen "Jersey Boys" - not sure why - the music is "in my time" - grew up with it & liked it - probably will see it sometime...

Ron might not like "A Chorus Line", except for the "T & A" song, which is probably way up his alley and which I think he would just eat up laugh Check it out on YT Ron - lots of raunchy versions there!

Saw "Miss Saigon" on Broadway some time back - by the same composers as "Les Mis" - liked this also but not one of my all time favs...

I think Ron would definitely like "Chicago", which I saw twice on Broadway - here's a rare example where the movie version is almost as good as the live version - the stars in this were surprisingly good, but then again mainly because the music over all is far less demanding vocally (although very entertaining)...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Thank you both for the input.
I have recently checked out some stuff through Netflix. Manily to study and know the story behind the songs.
I have considered getting season tickets to the Black Hills Playhouse. They will do 4 plays over summer. They allow a season holder to use the 4 tickets anyway they want. Can reserve seating also. Only one play this year interests me there; Godspell. I'll see. They say the Playhouse does really good. I still don't expect it to be like a touring company.
I went ahead and signed up for the Denver Performing Arts Center newsletter. Maybe I should make a contribution. No matter how small. So they will consider me a contributor and special treatment on availability of tickets. They have a few buildings for the arts. Let's see with this play first. One thing is for sure...I won't be getting a hotel room near the Center...they run about $350 a night. Doh!
When in Elementary School. My music teacher went nuts over Fiddler on the Roof. We had everything Fiddler on the Roof for a while.
I like all your suggestions. I appreciate it. My boredom with entertainment might very well be changed. Still, my best entertainment is entertaining myself. Creating.

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I have considered getting season tickets to the Black Hills Playhouse. They will do 4 plays over summer. They allow a season holder to use the 4 tickets anyway they want. Can reserve seating also. Only one play this year interests me there; Godspell. I'll see. They say the Playhouse does really good. I still don't expect it to be like a touring company.

Great idea Ron! Some small theaters can be surprisingly good in their productions, both of musicals and straight plays. We have several here in Central PA such as the Hershey Theater near me and especially the Fulton Theater in Lancaster, which is my favorite - it's relatively small and plush with excellent acoustics, and every seat is a good seat - this is where I last saw Les Mis (with my wife and 3 daughters) 2 years ago, and where Ill see the touring co. of Chorus Line in March - you might be very pleased with their shows (and they will appreciate your support) - I think you'll like Godspell a lot.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/06/13 08:39 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy
Trap, so glad you mentioned "Fiddler on the Roof".
I have never seen the stage production, only the movie (as mentioned in a previous post) and I do believe it's my favorite musical of all time. (note the word musical, not necessarily play/story).

If you ever get a chance see it live - you will love it even more - I took my one daughter to see it at the aforementioned Fulton Theater several years ago for her birthday at her request (she takes after her father with her highly discriminating taste laugh ) and it was wonderful - a Broadway quality production - we both enjoyed in completely!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just got tiks for the Apr. 10th show in Baltimore! This will be my 7th - I swear there are Les Mis freaks all over the world who attend monthly or even weekly...

Hey Ron - thought you might like to do a little Les Mis souvenir shopping - check this out - maybe you can get them to change the 1 to a 2 laugh

Shop for Les Mis stuff

Trap

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Congrats, Trapp.... sounds great....

One that ya'll haven't mentioned... Man of La Mancha.... It is a wonderfully romantic story. Look forward to someone doing it again. Brian Stokes Mitchell was great.

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congrats, Trapp.... sounds great....

One that ya'll haven't mentioned... Man of La Mancha.... It is a wonderfully romantic story. Look forward to someone doing it again. Brian Stokes Mitchell was great.

Thanks Ron - yes, Man of La Mancha - great show - great music - this is The Don's song, but check out this version:

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
She reminds me of Lara Fabian. Not sure why. I think Lara is one of the very best.

We both know "the" song in Man of LaMancha is one of the best song's ever. It's THE song of romantic success.

My last name is the same as one of these persons they love to put up on YT singing this song. It's his characters name. Not real name. His character got that name from a relative of mine whom the Marine Corps loves to claim is the only civilian to ever be buried in a Marine Corps cemetery.

I may not have money for entertainment soon. Even though the Denver trip is paid for already. That may have to be it for a while. I might be working for the City at the Landfill. It would involve a big pay cut. Since I would be overseeing inmates...that 24601 shirt might work... or.... maybe should have a Javert costume... smile

Last edited by rnaple; 01/09/13 08:02 PM. Reason: Old fool typo....

Ron
R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Oh Trapper.... Don't look at this link... Don't think it will make you happy...

Les Miserables Soundtrack Tops Charts

Ron
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh Trapper.... Don't look at this link... Don't think it will make you happy...

Les Miserables Soundtrack Tops Charts

I'm not that surprised. Have you listened to what's on the radio these days? (speaking in generalities, of course, nothing is ALL or NONE)
I think this more reflects unsophisticated tastes in music than any true musical quality (in particular vocal, as we've mentioned in previous posts).

Oh, and I do own the CD- but of the original Broadway Cast recording.

Last edited by piano joy; 01/09/13 11:21 PM.

-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
She reminds me of Lara Fabian. Not sure why. I think Lara is one of the very best.

Lara does look a little like a slightly younger Linda...hadn't seen/heard much from Lara before so I went to YT to check her out - really nice voice, but not quite as powerful as Linda's I think...

I may not have money for entertainment soon. Even though the Denver trip is paid for already. That may have to be it for a while. I might be working for the City at the Landfill. It would involve a big pay cut. Since I would be overseeing inmates...that 24601 shirt might work... or.... maybe should have a Javert costume... smile

smile - Javert costume, definitely - and I bet you can sing better than Russel too!

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/10/13 06:03 AM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As I said above "Chicago" is a thoroughly entertaining musical, and a rare case where the movie version is as good as (if not actually better) than the stage version - Richard, Rene and Catherine all did commendable, if not necessarily great, work and were surprisingly good - the music as a whole is delightful and yet doesn't demand outstanding vocal skills to pull off - the movie was very well directed and filmed and here's one of my favorite clips:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Another musical that made a smooth and compelling transition to the screen was "Caberet" - Liza & Joel had more than enough talent to make this happen - here they are with the "Money"

song:

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Trap, I agree, I think the movie "Chicago" was well done, overall and I really enjoyed it. Richard Gere has a rather odd voice, but it suited the role fine and, well, he is easy on the eyes.

The ladies did fine vocally and the choreography was very, very good.

Not a huge fan of Cabaret, not sure why- I think it's "Liza", I just can't get into Liza, although I am a big fan of Judy!

OK, I'm going to throw one out there: the Producers (Broadway version...the movie was "so-so").
I have to say- this is one of my favorites. First and foremost, very, very, VERY funny!
Second, I have to give credit to Mel Brooks who wrote the music and much of it is quite melodic and clever at the same time. I mean, really- how many people can write screenplays AND the music ? Impressive.

I would have given anything (almost) to have seen the original Broadway cast - of course, I am now forgetting all names, geez! The dude married to Sarah Jessica Parker- and, oh, yes, the other guy: Nathan Lane! Superb casting for this!
Let's see if I can find a video...

Last edited by piano joy; 01/11/13 01:36 PM.

-the Beatles

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Darn! Can't find a good video of orig Broadway cast...but here's a taping of a recording...(skip ahead 2.5 minutes or so if don't wish to hear Mel Brooks intro, although I like it).
Again, nice melody, good lyrics, has an "old-timey" feel to it.
As I recall, the choreography to this song was lots of fun, too!

-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I watched the vid pj - mildly amusing - like with you & Liza I've never really been a big fan of Brooks' stuff - I'm old enough to remember when he used to be on TV regularly as part of the cast of some variety show or other & I guess he wore himself out then - I haven't seen "Producers" so I shouldn't pre-judge, and probably wouldn't attend (unless tiks were free or greatly reduced) but who knows - I could be pleasantly surprised...

However, I think I may be too cynical and jaded and grumpy to fully appreciate his brand of humor these days...for example, I still laugh like crazy at old reruns of M*A*S*H although I've seen them dozens of times, but don't really find Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" all that funny...where have I gone wrong? laugh

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

However, I think I may be too cynical and jaded and grumpy to fully appreciate his brand of humor these days...for example, I still laugh like crazy at old reruns of M*A*S*H although I've seen them dozens of times, but don't really find Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" all that funny...where have I gone wrong? laugh

I think perhaps you like that MASH meant something. It went from a comedy with dramatic undertones, to a drama with comedic undertones. It grew into many thoughts that meant something deep down. MASH's comedy also was much more realistic. I will always like MASH alot. I love to laugh at the warped characters who are that way by their own choice.
Blazing Saddles had all it took for a hilarious comedy. It lacked timing...good editing. Whereas Young Frankenstein was edited great. It had all the timing spot on. I think Young Frankenstein was far funnier.
EDIT: No we don't need criticism of the singing in Young Frankenstein. The music and singing were superb. Superbly funny. smile

Last edited by rnaple; 01/12/13 08:38 AM.

Ron
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission